AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 80 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Just out of curiosity here, is it ok to run 4 sticks of DDR4 2400 or is there a memory controller issue? I dont want to be stuck running 2 sticks. pretty sure i seen some where in this thread that anything below 3000 or 2933 is ok with 4 sticks? Thinking maybe just maybe that the Asus motherboard took a dirt nap because of 4 sticks of DDR4 2400? I cant think of any other reason beside that or the motherboard was just plain Jane faulty. Anyways just making sure and asking you guys so I dont kill this next motherboard.
It bricked due to that auto-bios update well known issue. 4 sticks may not even do 2400, use 2133 until you get stability. And on the cheaper motherboard 4 sticks may not work as well as the Taichi.

Reactions: Justinbaileyman

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Assembly going well so far...

Motherboard Arrives!

Motherboard + CPU Installed

Water block installed

Mounted in case

I'll admit that I wasn't crazy about the aesthetics of the board, but it looks pretty sharp in the case against the red and other black/red components. The placement of everything was very convenient though; now I can work on finishing up the loop. Here's the core of the system though:

Pump & Reservoir

Inside view

I bought a really high end pump this time around because I wanted minimal noise; this Eheim pump is very very nice. I also have a bracket installed for a flow indicator (nerd.) and the fill port on the case is actually in the correct place now.

Can't wait to fire it up, but I'm still waiting on the memory and a few fittings.

james1701

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2007
I used zip ties on the NVMe SSD, and now its maxed at 52c (from 70c before) so that good. I think that was my problem all along with OC'ing as it would just shut down, or at least the video was dead.

So now that its cool, back to OC'ing. Currently still at 2933 on the ram, and 3975@1.3875 on the CPU.
8YRClpL.jpg

When you say 1.3875 on the CPU, is that the set voltage in the bios, or is that what you are seeing after vdroop?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Update. Even though I should put this in my overclocking thread, its more about the general overclocking in the build. So at bios 2950, in windows, taks manager shows 3.94 @ 1.375 vcore, stable at 100% load for over 12 hours. Set bios to 4.0 (no 3975 in bios) and windows shows 3.99 ghz, but even at 1.4 vcore, its not stable for over 5 minutes (at load).

Bottom line ? My chip hits a hard wall at 3.975/3.984 loaded.

VenomXTF

May 3, 2004
Finished my build:

Ryzen 1700
ASRock X370 Killer SLI/AC
TridentZ 3200C16D-32GTZA (2x16GB)
Noctua U14S

I'm not able to get the RAM to boot above 2133 with the stock BIOS. I purchased it prior to the Ryzen release, 32GB for $185 at 3200 CL16 seemed like a good deal. It's dual rank, so I'm just going to wait for the BIOS issues to be resolved.

I did some quick CPU overclocking tests. Changed the voltage to 1.35 since that's the max I'm comfortable running at with the perf/watt of Ryzen. Was able to get it up to 3.9Ghz stable with prime/cinebench. 4Ghz was stable in Windows but crashed during burn in test. So I decided to go down to 3.8Ghz and see if I can lower the voltage to 1.30, which has been running stable so far. Stability is more important to me than getting the max possible OC.

IIeYEGS.jpg

vD5UlT5.jpg

Rrap6Ka.png

This is the Cinebench MT result at 3.9Ghz with RAM at 2133Mhz.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Finished my build:

Ryzen 1700
ASRock X370 Killer SLI/AC
TridentZ 3200C16D-32GTZA (2x16GB)
Noctua U14S

I'm not able to get the RAM to boot above 2133 with the stock BIOS. I purchased it prior to the Ryzen release, 32GB for $185 at 3200 CL16 seemed like a good deal. It's dual rank, so I'm just going to wait for the BIOS issues to be resolved.

I did some quick CPU overclocking tests. Changed the voltage to 1.35 since that's the max I'm comfortable running at with the perf/watt of Ryzen. Was able to get it up to 3.9Ghz stable with prime/cinebench. 4Ghz was stable in Windows but crashed during burn in test. So I decided to go down to 3.8Ghz and see if I can lower the voltage to 1.30, which has been running stable so far. Stability is more important to me than getting the max possible OC.

IIeYEGS.jpg

vD5UlT5.jpg

Rrap6Ka.png

This is the Cinebench MT result at 3.9Ghz with RAM at 2133Mhz.
That memory isn't on the QVL it seems. Fastest dual-rank modules tested seem to top out at 2400 MHz. Have you tried that?

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
*Finally* done with physical build... maybe I'll print the cable cover for the Hero at some point, but I'm too lazy right now. :p Otherwise the next upgrade to it will be a Vega card or a 1080/1080 Ti once I get a 4K monitor. That's a few months off, though. If/when the RAM issues get settled I want to add 2 more stick of RAM, too.

Final pic:
aes2t4.jpg

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
*Finally* done with physical build... maybe I'll print the cable cover for the Hero at some point, but I'm too lazy right now. :p Otherwise the next upgrade to it will be a Vega card or a 1080/1080 Ti once I get a 4K monitor. That's a few months off, though. If/when the RAM issues get settled I want to add 2 more stick of RAM, too.

Final pic:
aes2t4.jpg
Great build but it could do better with Cablemod cables.

Reactions: Crono

VenomXTF

May 3, 2004
That memory isn't on the QVL it seems. Fastest dual-rank modules tested seem to top out at 2400 MHz. Have you tried that?

Yes, I tried 2400 with 1.35 voltage. Doesn't even post. I'm not too concerned, I'm sure once they get the singe rank stuff out of the way, they will get the dual rank sticks working at 3200 with BIOS/microcode updates.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I think I'm done overclocking for immediate future. Got the 1700X stable at ~4.0GHz without the voltage creeping much over 1.4v (fluctuates between 1.373 and 1.417). It wouldn't boot at speeds past that, though I might give it a try once ASUS has more time to work out the kinks with the BIOS. I haven't touched anything aside from the multiplier/ratio and core voltage.

Taking offset into account and after applying the Sense Mi skew of 272 for this rev of the BIOS (0902), temp is 30C at idle and 53C under full load using AIDA64, which I'm happy with.

fmjnr8.jpg

Great build but it could do better with Cablemod cables.

I thought about it. The PSU is semi-modular and I'm using it mostly because I happened to have it on hand, but if I swap it out at some point I'll likely get better sleeved cables at the same time.

Last edited:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Got mine about 80% piped... by far the neatest and most organized non-AIO loop i've had in this case. I even got the little flow indicator mounted right where the window is thanks to a handy rad bracket and dremel.

I tweaked the fill port too and it's much more sound. Post pics in a few minutes.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I think I'm done overclocking for immediate future. Got the 1700X stable at ~4.0GHz without the voltage creeping much over 1.4v (fluctuates between 1.373 and 1.417). It wouldn't boot at speeds past that, though I might give it a try once ASUS has more time to work out the kinks with the BIOS. I haven't touched anything aside from the multiplier/ratio and core voltage.

Taking offset into account and after applying the Sense Mi skew of 272 for this rev of the BIOS (0902), temp is 30C at idle and 53C under full load using AIDA64, which I'm happy with.

fmjnr8.jpg

I thought about it. The PSU is semi-modular and I'm using it mostly because I happened to have it on hand, but if I swap it out at some point I'll likely get better sleeved cables at the same time.
Why don't you add that result to my overclock thread here: https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...ust-oc-results-and-hardware-settings.2501827/

Reactions: Crono

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
No such luck guys :( I guess I have to send it back because it refuses to budge. I think I will send the CPU back for a replacement as well because I can't be 100% certain that it couldn't be the cause.So now I play the waiting game for a return/replacement and a refund. Unfortunately they wont do a refund for the CPU only a replacement so I am stuck upgrading to Ryzen whether I want to or not.So I went ahead and purchased that Cheapo B350 Mark,hope it does me better then the Hero VI. This better last me till the Asrock X370 Taichi comes back in stock. I should have just listened to all you guys in the first place.I was just thinking "Asus is a good brand" but look where that got me.

Sorry for the loss. You're probably right to RMA CPU + board just in case. The Taichi seems like a good board, though the flaky UEFI overclocking is a bit annoying. I hope you have Samsung B-die since the ASRock X370 boards seem to like it.

Just out of curiosity here, is it ok to run 4 sticks of DDR4 2400 or is there a memory controller issue? I dont want to be stuck running 2 sticks. pretty sure i seen some where in this thread that anything below 3000 or 2933 is ok with 4 sticks? Thinking maybe just maybe that the Asus motherboard took a dirt nap because of 4 sticks of DDR4 2400? I cant think of any other reason beside that or the motherboard was just plain Jane faulty. Anyways just making sure and asking you guys so I dont kill this next motherboard.

According to my Taichi manual, 4 sticks of dual-rank RAM may be limited to DDR4-1866 - 2133. It's more a limitation of the IMC than anything else.

Reactions: Justinbaileyman

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Sorry for the loss. You're probably right to RMA CPU + board just in case. The Taichi seems like a good board, though the flaky UEFI overclocking is a bit annoying. I hope you have Samsung B-die since the ASRock X370 boards seem to like it.

According to my Taichi manual, 4 sticks of dual-rank RAM may be limited to DDR4-1866 - 2133. It's more a limitation of the IMC than anything else.

I have Crucial Ballistix Sport White DDR4 2400 4 x 4gb. not sure if that is Samsung B-Die or not..??
If its not what I should be using maybe I should put it in my F/S thread and purchase something different?

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
I don't care about over clocking them I just want my system to run stable without crashing. I do alot of media editing and cant afford to go to sleep and wake up just to find that the PC crashed..

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
*** ANY ASUS CROSSHAIR VI HERO OWNERS - MAKE SURE TO UPDATE TO BIOS 0902 OR HIGHER ASAP WHEN BUILDING YOUR RIG - OTHERWISE YOU RISK BRICKING YOUR BOARD YMMV ***

Unfortunately, I am currently down as my Asus C6H appears to have a partially bricked BIOS or a dead circuit somewhere. It boots and lets me play with BIOS settings but always gives me an error and tells me to press F1 to edit BIOS settings on reboot. As if settings are not applying. Alternative is a dead CPU, which I hope is not the case since it was detected properly in BIOS... I did try BIOS flashback with multiple versions including 0902 and the two newer ones. Still well within 30-day return window so I should be covered by the merchant.

I've got a couple of B350 motherboards on the way so I should be back online soonish. As well as a 1700 non-X I got for $280 shipped brand new.

1700 is going to be paired with the cheapest B350 board I could find, a mATX MSI Gaming Pro B350 for $79.99
1800X is going to be slapped into a Gigabyte Gaming 3 with the ALC1220 codec, as that appears to be the B350 board with the nicest features/most stable BIOS.

I'll probably eventually get a X370 board again, but availability on those is pretty scarce and I'm curious if I'll even notice a difference with B350 vs X370 (I don't think I will).

Reactions: richierich1212

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
*** ANY ASUS CROSSHAIR VI HERO OWNERS - MAKE SURE TO UPDATE TO BIOS 0902 OR HIGHER ASAP WHEN BUILDING YOUR RIG - OTHERWISE YOU RISK BRICKING YOUR BOARD YMMV ***

Unfortunately, I am currently down as my Asus C6H appears to have a partially bricked BIOS or a dead circuit somewhere. It boots and lets me play with BIOS settings but always gives me an error and tells me to press F1 to edit BIOS settings on reboot. As if settings are not applying. Alternative is a dead CPU, which I hope is not the case since it was detected properly in BIOS... I did try BIOS flashback with multiple versions including 0902 and the two newer ones. Still well within 30-day return window so I should be covered by the merchant.

I've got a couple of B350 motherboards on the way so I should be back online soonish. As well as a 1700 non-X I got for $280 shipped brand new.

1700 is going to be paired with the cheapest B350 board I could find, a mATX MSI Gaming Pro B350 for $79.99
1800X is going to be slapped into a Gigabyte Gaming 3 with the ALC1220 codec, as that appears to be the B350 board with the nicest features/most stable BIOS.

I'll probably eventually get a X370 board again, but availability on those is pretty scarce and I'm curious if I'll even notice a difference with B350 vs X370 (I don't think I will).

Sorry for your loss, I totally sympathize with you. I guess we are in the Bricked Hero VI club together :(

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Just to be clear - dead hardware is always a bummer, but I'm not going to let it sour me on Ryzen. My impressions so far are have been very positive, to the point that I'm building a second Ryzen system (R7 1700 on a B350 mATX motherboard). New hardware is always exciting, and being on the bleeding edge sometimes means I get paper cuts. I can live with that, because I love computers!

A small portion of my "wall" of hardware:
IMG_1380_zpsoqlzvdbc.jpg