AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 78 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Nope no good.. Its all going back monday!! Its straight up bricked and one bad experience is enough for me. I will return the CPU and the Motherboard and get a 7700k and pocket the rest of the cash.
I did everything I could think of, even did Bios flash back like 50 times and it did nothing.Tried Bios 0902 and 1001. All the pretty neon LED's stay on but no fans will spin up and the board will not power on and boot at all. I even went out and got another PSU thinking it was going to help but nope.The Ram isn't the problem either as it worked just fine when I first powered on the motherboard and installed windows,then for no reason at all the system restarted and I got that stupid Bios is updating crap. I want to keep my r7 1800x and get a new motherboard but I am not going to play the waiting game all over again for weeks on end. besides maybe the CPU is bad as well....right now I'm royally pissed off.I even took pictures of the build thinking I was gonna share them but I guess that is pointless now.

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Nope no good.. Its all going back monday!! Its straight up bricked and one bad experience is enough for me. I will return the CPU and the Motherboard and get a 7700k and pocket the rest of the cash.
I did everything I could think of, even did Bios flash back like 50 times and it did nothing.Tried Bios 0902 and 1001. All the pretty neon LED's stay on but no fans will spin up and the board will not power on and boot at all. I even went out and got another PSU thinking it was going to help but nope.The Ram isn't the problem either as it worked just fine when I first powered on the motherboard and installed windows,then for no reason at all the system restarted and I got that stupid Bios is updating crap. I want to keep my r7 1800x and get a new motherboard but I am not going to play the waiting game all over again for weeks on end. besides maybe the CPU is bad as well....right now I'm royally pissed off.I even took pictures of the build thinking I was gonna share them but I guess that is pointless now.
Or do what I did, and buy an ASRock CHEAP motherboard just to get me through the wait on the Taichi. All the other parts can stay.

Reactions: SketchMaster

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Holy ####!

I pay less than half as much for 16GB DDR4.

Sure, it's only DDR4 2400, but still.
Well, I did pay $99 for 16 gig of PC 3000 cas 16.

But you have to pay through the nose for the best ! Hoping when I get the Taichi, it will pay off. Then that other stuff will go in this one.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
I didn't brick it, it bricked it self... literally!! I have never seen anything like this in my life. this was the craziest crap I have ever seen. Just noticed Newegg doesn't accept cpu returns? got an RMA return going for the motherboard though. Should I just keep the cpu then, and take another shot at Ryzen by buying another motherboard? Maybe I will cheap out this time and buy a B350 the gigabyte gaming 3? or should I contact newegg by phone to get them to take the cpu back as well??

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005

Did it finish updating, or did something interrupt it?

If it finished, make sure you pull all but one stick of RAM and check what (if any) error codes you get on the upper right of the board.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Or get
I didn't brick it, it bricked it self... literally!! I have never seen anything like this in my life. this was the craziest crap I have ever seen. Just noticed Newegg doesn't accept cpu returns? got an RMA return going for the motherboard though. Should I just keep the cpu then, and take another shot at Ryzen by buying another motherboard? Maybe I will cheap out this time and buy a B350 the gigabyte gaming 3? or should I contact newegg by phone to get them to take the cpu back as well??
this: before it goes OOS, pretty good one: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157758

One step below the Taichi. Almost the same, but I can be patient for my Taichi

Reactions: SketchMaster

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Did it finish updating, or did something interrupt it?

If it finished, make sure you pull all but one stick of RAM and check what (if any) error codes you get on the upper right of the board.
It wont power on to give me any error codes any longer. just the Auto Leds stay lit up. the fans wont spin up or nothing man.
Does anyone here have the Gigabyte gaming 3? or does anyone know if it can take r7 1800x? I dont want to start a fire burning up VRM's..

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
It wont power on to give me any error codes any longer. just the Auto Leds stay lit up. the fans wont spin up or nothing man.
Does anyone here have the Gigabyte gaming 3? or does anyone know if it can take r7 1800x? I dont want to start a fire burning up VRM's..

I'm pretty sure most, if not all, b350 boards can take an 1800X. You may not be able to OC on it, but stock it should boost no problem.

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...et-for-Ryzen&p=5255734&viewfull=1#post5255734

"Woohooo, my Crosshair is back to life after staying more than 48 hours without battery."

Might want to try leaving your CMOS battery out of your board for awhile.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001

Did you interrupt the update?

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...et-for-Ryzen&p=5255734&viewfull=1#post5255734

"Woohooo, my Crosshair is back to life after staying more than 48 hours without battery."

Might want to try leaving your CMOS battery out of your board for awhile.
I have been at it all night... I tried clearing C'mos with the clear C'mos button and ripping out the battery, I tried 1 stick of ram in every slot, I tried zero ram in no slots, I tried 2 different PSU's, I tried 2 different GPU's, I tried flashing the bios by doing the bios flash back option. Nothing is working. this board is a piece of crap and you should all stay far away from it...

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Did you interrupt the update?
Nope, I didnt do any thing. I let it stay on that screen for 3 or 4 hours till the computer just turned off and didn't power back up. since then I have racking my brain trying to get it back up and running.

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
Hmmm... Not impressed with the stock 1700 vs my i7 5820K @ 4GHz. Rendered out a video in Adobe Premiere that has a good mix of color correction, warp stabilize, downscaling of 4k to 1080p. Both systems are using the same 32GB 2666 RAM and GTX 1070, I used CUDA rendering and a 2 pass with 25 Target / 35 Max bitrate.

• i7 5820K @ 4Ghz render time: 6:51
  • Stock 1700 render time: 8:20
Going to play around with making sure I have all the right drivers and see what the RAM is running at. Not a good start though...

After a lot of cussing, I got a stable 3.9Ghz @ 1.35V (LLC brings it up to ~1.37v under load) and got a render time of 6:39.

Damn... Guys, there is a lot of room for the Ryzen to grow. I decided to turn my attention to the RAM to see how far I could push it past 2666Mhz. I tweaked the BCLK to 103.2 and sent the CPU mult to 38 which gave me 3.92ghz with 2751Mhz RAM.

New Premiere render time is 6:16! That's a 3.7% increase in render time from just 85Mhz (plus the boost in the bus). Once the MB makers get the RAM sorted out we are going to see some insane performance boosts. I've never seen CPUs scale so well with RAM!

Last edited:

Mockingbird

Feb 12, 2017
Is the Antec Nine Hundred Two still a good case or totally dated now?

61xqJaAsJvL._SL1200_.jpg

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
Is the Antec Nine Hundred Two still a good case or totally dated now?

61xqJaAsJvL._SL1200_.jpg
I had a 900 before I upgraded to a p100 for more HDD space. It's a good case but very limiting for water and AIO coolers since there is no place for a rad. Also haaaated the HD mounting setup in them, you have to unscrew a metal cube thing that holds the drives. So many damn screws...

Also doesn't have great cable management, so have zipties handy.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
so you set RAM voltage in UEFI then change clocks/timings in Ryzen Master? Do the settings retain on restarts?

1). Yes. Specifically I set MEMVTT to .7 and vDIMM/MEM VDDIO to 1.4v. Leave these at "0.00" in Ryzen Master. Do not touch. I set CPU voltage/vcore to 1.35 in both Ryzen Master *and* the UEFI. I set VDDCR SoC to ~1.0-1.050v in UEFI *and* Ryzen Master.

2). Once you force your system to reboot via Ryzen Master, the memclocks "stick" permanently until you get a crash (forcing a reboot loop until you reset the UEFI with the button) or until you change something else. The CPU clocks can go back down, but the memclocks stay. I am not sure what happens if you boot a different OS under these conditions (Linux, etc).

By the way, has anybody been able to make the settings of the Ryzen master utiltity stick without having to run the HEPT.bat file?

No.

Fast DDR4 on Ryzen? You got an AMD GPU too?

If you have one, can you run this benchmark two times; the first time with the process' threads assigned to your first CCX with ProcessHacker, and the second time with the process' threads spread across your CCX's? There's only two threads (program thread & driver thread), so it's not tedious to do.

I'll get to that ASAP, work starts again soon and ughghghghgh yeah. Sorry it's been rough. All work and no play makes Jack a tired boy.

It begins \o/

Good luck . . .

Until you disable it, yes. It won't throttle to save power, regardless of use (or lack thereof) or for any other reason AFAIK. Does Ryzen Master have support for OC profiles? This would be a perfect use case for those, if so.

Ryzen Master has 4 saveable profiles.

So for now, on the Taichi, I am patiently awaiting a new UEFI to maybe fix the UEFI OC problems and open up more RAM settings. I would like to shoot for DDR4-4000, and with these DIMMs I'm sure I could get there. DDR4-3200 CL/CAS14 is tight. I could probably do DDR4-4000 CL/CAS17.

I might also spend some time this weekend disabling AHCI mode to see if I can get PCIe/bclk OC to work better.

Last edited:

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
As an FYI, my board running at 2933Mhz has an issue.

When cold-booting with that setting, the boot will fail. I go into the BIOS, reset it, and it will then (warm?) boot at 2933.

Also, I have the Corsair memory that is supposed to be good for 3200mhz, and it won't boot at all at that speed.
memory539.jpg
I reported that cold vs warm boot bug 2 weeks ago for my b350m. Lol

Reactions: CuriousMike

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Did you discover a fix for it?
Nope. And i have tried a lot. The closest i get is to set a bit higher ram voltage. Try eg 1.36 to 1.39. Then i got past cold boot a single time.
But its pretty evident the ram can run on 2933 stable so it will come.
Right now i wait for new bios in may with new uefi. I hope we even get option to oc fabric speed.
Patience is the fix :)

Reactions: CuriousMike

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I think amd hit higher freq for zen than anticipated the last few months. That probably stressed the ccx and ram system. They also changed firmware only 3 months before launch. Its hopeless to get memory profiling right so fast. We simply have to wait until amd releases new uefi in may. I think that revision more mirrors a normal launch situation. There will still be small optimizations after that but lets just wait 2.5 month.

In general my 1700 is 100% stable and the most easy to boot first time. Plug and play. Most robust system i have ever had. So at least the basics was done right.

imported_jjj

Feb 14, 2009
Your BIOS says 3200 15-15-15-35, while CPU-Z and whatever that is below it both say 16-15-15-15-35. Did you adjust it after taking the BIOS screenshot, or is there something odd there?

Ryzen needs even numbers for CAS above 2666MHz and in this case it looks like the BIOS auto adjusts to that.

Reactions: DisEnchantment