AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 75 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blure007

Jan 9, 2003
Is anyone going with a tempered glass case?

The Corsair Crystal 460X is so tempting

I tried... could not for the life of me get the H110i to fit with the heat sink to next to the 8 pin eatx on the top. Shame because it is such a nice case.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I haven't been able to try the TridentZ series, but I also haven't had any issues with their previous efforts either...

might have to order a few new fittings, I rotated the rad in my case to make things a bit more accessible but I need some different angles.

Zoffster1

Feb 25, 2017
Who installs anything from the DVD for PC Components? I'm usually straight to the manufacturers website to get the latest versions.

Whilst I understand your sentiment, DVD disks cost almost nothing and a USB drive would increase costs overall when you're talking massive amounts of sales.
I'd happily pay £10 extra on a £250+ component for the convenience and speed

Reactions: Malogeek

dnavas

Feb 25, 2017
Anyone else have a Gigabyte board? The reports were that overclocking RAM was a snap, which is good, because I don't know what I'm doing :) Unfortunately, that hasn't been my experience. First sticks were a 3000CL14 set of TridentZ, but 16GB sticks, so I figured I just had a rank problem. Current sticks are on their QVL list (well, the 8-pack of the same sticks are -- I find myself without the need of 8 sticks ;>) -- a pair of Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16. They post fine (progress!) and black screen when put under demanding load (gah!). Upping voltage on the RAM (I set 1.38 and .69, but the MB is reporting 1.39) and I get a blue screen under load (unhandled exception).
It's frustrating to find reviews like: https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/gigabyte_x370_aorus_gaming_5_aorus_review/3 which seem to be running the same memory at even tighter timings (I can't even post with CL14).
Should I also be upping voltage on the CPU? I have not tried to OC the CPU, so I haven't touched any of that.

Not sure where to go from here? Running F5C BIOS. I can try F5D...?
Should I just throw shade at GB's mosfets and try (hah!) to find a different motherboard?
Lamb's blood in a fire pit?

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Memory support is all over the place at the moment across all vendors.

Did you TridentZ post at least? Just couldn't reach the full 2933 + CL14?

dnavas

Feb 25, 2017
Memory support is all over the place at the moment across all vendors. Did you TridentZ post at least? Just couldn't reach the full 2933 + CL14?

Yes, the TridentZ posted at 2133 (I think not even CL14), but 2933 was a no go (reboot to cleared CMOS). Even with looser timings (though obviously didn't go through the full menu of possibilities there).
I'm wondering if the CPU would respond well to a bit of extra voltage because the memory controller on this revision of the CPU is a bit of not-all-there. My understanding is that most people OC their CPU first, and I'm starting to wonder how much of the memory support issues is really CPU related....

FWIW, the Corsair won't post at CL14, as they must have for the above-linked review. Tighter doesn't help (at least, not that tight). I also tried 16-16-16-34 instead of 16-18-18-36 (iirc) and that posts, but still black-screens. It runs fine under cpu-z, chrome, and any other app that doesn't hit memory a lot, but an NLE that's running full-out is death to it. The extra volts on the RAM seems to keep it stable for nearly 10 seconds, instead of 2-3, but that's not much of an increase (and could just be random).

Last edited:

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
The only RAM managing to hit high speeds so far is single rank DIMMs with Samsung chips.

If there's a BIOS update then I'd definitely try that out.

Kingbee13

Jul 17, 2007
Any reason why I shouldn't get this RAM for my Ryzen setup even though it's not on ASUS qvl? Especially given the sale price? Decent latency, single rank, samsung dies, known good performer, listed by AMD as working well at 3200.

G.Skill Trident Z 3200 CL16

that's what I have it won't post past 2400 on my Asrock killer x370, but Asus could be comepltely different story

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
that's what I have it won't post past 2400 on my Asrock killer x370, but Asus could be comepltely different story
lol doubtful. I have to decide RAM now as I need to return my Corsair LPX for full refund so I'm hoping the TridentZ will be the safe bet once BIOS updates arrive since it's single rank and Samsung.

coffeemonster

Apr 18, 2015
You tried Ryzen Master yet? OC in the UEFI has been a disaster for me on the Taichi, but Ryzen Master makes it work just fine.

Right now I'm running 4050 MHz on all cores (OC Mode), DDR4-3200 14-14-14-32 1T. 1.35v vcore with level 3 LLC and 1.4v vDIMM. VDDCR SOC is 1.050v . I raised some other oddball voltages in the UEFI.

On the Taichi, all I do is set my voltages in the UEFI and then adjust clocks/timings using Ryzen Master. Any kind of memory OC in the UEFI causes a reboot loop. What fun!
so you set RAM voltage in UEFI then change clocks/timings in Ryzen Master? Do the settings retain on restarts?

Last edited:

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
You tried Ryzen Master yet? OC in the UEFI has been a disaster for me on the Taichi, but Ryzen Master makes it work just fine.

Right now I'm running 4050 MHz on all cores (OC Mode), DDR4-3200 14-14-14-32 1T. 1.35v vcore with level 3 LLC and 1.4v vDIMM. VDDCR SOC is 1.050v . I raised some other oddball voltages in the UEFI.

On the Taichi, all I do is set my voltages in the UEFI and then adjust clocks/timings using Ryzen Master. Any kind of memory OC in the UEFI causes a reboot loop. What fun!

I think all the AsRock boards regardless of UEFI version have overclocking broken at the UEFI.
The X370 Fatal1ty K4 and the ABB350 Pro 4 have the same issue. You need to overclock using Ryzen master

Last edited:

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
By the way, has anybody been able to make the settings of the Ryzen master utiltity stick without having to run the HEPT.bat file?

Magic Hate Ball

Feb 2, 2017
I think all the AsRock boards regardless of UEFI version have overclocking broken at the UEFI.
The X370 Falat1ty K4 and the ABB350 Pro 4 have the same issue. You need to overclock using Ryzen master

I don't use the Ryzen Master software on my ASRock Taichi. I don't like having something that launches with the OS controlling my OC, I'd much rather have it in BIOS in case I set a bad OC.

I had a boot loop essentially when I pushed a little too far with Ryzen Master and it didn't fall back to a stable setting.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015

Fast DDR4 on Ryzen? You got an AMD GPU too?

If you have one, can you run this benchmark two times; the first time with the process' threads assigned to your first CCX with ProcessHacker, and the second time with the process' threads spread across your CCX's? There's only two threads (program thread & driver thread), so it's not tedious to do.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
doesn't look like my fittings will be in until next week... but I should be able to get all the guts and most of the plumbing in tomorrow.

machine is so far from done but I think I have the loop figured out. 1/2" supply to the pump and the rest is 3/8" all the way back to the tube res. this HAF case might need to be retired soon, I've had it since Q1 2010 o_O

TypoFairy©

Jul 29, 2003
288eabad16.jpg

It begins \o/

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
OK< so trying ryzenmaster. I set everything and click apply. It says hpet is not enabled. So I follow the instructions to enable hpet, and it says you need to reboot. So I do. Then try again, and it says hpet is not enabled. WTF ?

Help

Magic Hate Ball

Feb 2, 2017
OK< so trying ryzenmaster. I set everything and click apply. It says hpet is not enabled. So I follow the instructions to enable hpet, and it says you need to reboot. So I do. Then try again, and it says hpet is not enabled. WTF ?

Help

Some settings only stick if you do a full power-off reboot. There's a difference apparently in the soft reboot vs a reboot that powers off then automatically back on. Many settings like core counts/SMT enable/disable that only occur when the PC actually goes to "off" state.

You can change that behavior somewhere, but just doing "shutdown" then manually powering back on seems to be the easiest way to do it.

At least that has been my experience so far.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
ok, I got hpet enabled. But the memory shows at 1023 mhz, thats for the default 2133. So is that mhz number 1/2 the real ? what do I set that to for PC3200 ?