AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 70 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

snarfbot

Jul 22, 2007
finally got my noctua mounting kit, and have it clocked at 4ghz, and while the temps are fine its taking alot of voltage, im at 1.3875 so far and its still not quite prime stable, so far about 5 minutes in at this voltage running small ffts. crashed around 15 mins on 1.38125 so hopefully this will do it.

even then i might drop it down to 3900 but ugh, i really want that 4ghz at least. whats the deal with core voltage on these things is it really that bad to give it over 1.35?

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
My Crossair is also arriving today. Not going to lie, if this board is DOA or dies from a failed update (that isn't my fault :p ) then I'll likely be sending everything back to Newegg and wait a couple months for all this nonsense to be sorted out. AMD made a great chip but they are getting screwed over for being the little guy.
I am thinking the very same thing. I am going to keep what I bought and give it a chance,but the second anything goes wrong or my mobo auto bricks, it all goes back asap!!

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
a) Sennheiser is not a "computer sound card company", they're first and foremost a professional audio (studio, broadcast, airline, that kind of thing) company with a very serious side business in mid-to-high-end headphones (including what's widely regarded as the best headphones ever made, the HD800/800s (besides, they're known for providing excellent audio in the $50 range too)).

Umm lol? Did you bother to read my sig to see what headphones I have? I've been using Sennheiser since my dad put his pair on my head. I'm well aware of their history and product lines. Their gaming line would fall under the "anything with gaming in the name" part of my post not the "computer sound card company". I guess your reading comprehension failed. I've actually demo'd both the 800 and 800s. Have you? They aren't regarded as the best headphones ever made. That title has always belonged to the Orpheus line. Shows how much you know.

b) Sennheiser have been "branching out" into gaming for a few years, bringing their microphone and headphone expertise into high-end gaming territory - and have been met with universal praise. Their G4ME One/Zero (open-back gaming headphones? What?) line have some of the best audio and mic quality you can get. Although tuned differently than their hi-fi headphones (duh, if they didn't they wouldn't be a serious audio company ...), they sound amazing.

Again, well aware of their gaming line of headsets. In comparison to other gaming headsets they are better, but they still pale in comparison to audiophile gear. Even their own headphone line. Have you ever noticed that professional streamers generally use separate broadcast mics and headphones? Components that are purpose built for a task are better than the combo gamer marketed headsets.

c) They would be utterly crazy to repackage some whitebox sh*t and put their brand on it. The Sennheiser brand stands for high quality audio. Their fans would run away screaming if they didn't deliver. Also, whitebox sh*t generally doesn't have 0-48KHz frequency response with .005% THD and support for 150 Ohm headphones, nor does it decode 96KHz, 24-bit audio. Just saying.

Really dude? $5 DAC with a $5 OP amp can give you those stats. The fact that you are quoting stats really says you have very limited knowledge about what actually makes good gear good.

Also, I did bring up getting a more serious dac/amp without all the gaming clutter too (if you bothered reading two posts past the one you quoted me on ...).

Oh, and Buying a separate DAC and AMP (like the Magni 2+Modi 2 combo) is definitely not something for a small desk. The Fulla would probably be okay, but the NuForce uDac3 I have is a lot smaller still - and can be tucked away nicely thanks to not having that huge top-mounted volume knob.

Other than that, I generally agree with your point. Most "gaming" audio products are sh*t. Razer might be the most horrible offender here (their Kraken headphones are some of the worst garbage I've ever listened to), but generally it's bad. Just don't dismiss "gaming" products from extremely serious audio companies. You might be surprised.

I read your post. I rolled my eyes all the way through it.

A small desk? What you do use a child's desk? I've never seen a desk that you couldn't fit one on. I mean they are after all desktop DAC/amps. It's a specific form factor.

NuForce really? Optoma is their parent brand who's parent brand is Coretronic. Optoma is known for making projectors not audio gear. It's Chinese. If there is ANY company that will repackage white label stuff it's Chinese companies. Not only that, it's a known fact that Schiit designs all of their own boards/implementations. It's also an American company. Why in all things holy would you recommend what you did? Are you reinforcing your own purchase decisions, is it the only thing you've ever heard off, or the first thing that came up when you Googled for something to respond with?

Another thing. The dimensions between the two are more or less identical. They are small footprint, portable DAC/amps. Again, class defined by form factor. It's funny you chose to focus on the Fulla 2 volume knob though. You didn't bother to do your homework because the Fulla 2's height is LESS than the NuForce. Nuforce 2.6 x .82 x 1.49" vs Fulla 2 3.5 x 2.5 x 1.375” So based on that you should start arbitrarily recommending the Fulla 2 right? LOL. Not only that, do you notice how NuForce doesn't list their component selection? While components by themselves are not the determinate of quality, it is hard to have even the most basic consideration for a company that doesn't list them. Even so their other stuff is confirmed to use ESS DACs. They are all probably using the 9023 on all of it given the specs they do list. I'd rather have the AKM 4490 in the Schiit. ESS DACs implemented on cheap gear frankly suck. You are very likely to run into the dreaded ESS glare problem. I simply refuse to buy anything with ESS in it regardless of price.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
@Despoiler and @Valantar

Folks, this thread is already getting long and hard to keep up with, let's please try to stay on the topic of Ryzen parts.
Sorry! I'll keep my posts to impatiently waiting for ITX motherboards to arrive/wondering aloud wether I should cancel my mATX order since it keeps getting pushed back anyhow ;)

All joking aside, of course you're right.

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
Can't move the stock due to no motherboards? :D

Having no MB to plug in likely isn't helping, but I'd be willing to bet a lot of people are liking the 1700 for being the best perf/$ Ryzen CPU if you're willing to OC it a little. I'm actaully a bit surprised AMD left the 1700 unlocked if they knew it could get pushed to 3.9 easy.

Until the 1800X can easily OC to 4.3+ there is no real reason to spend all that extra money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Malogeek

Mockingbird

Feb 12, 2017

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
Some dude on reddit said he backordered on the 3rd, which I didn't even know it was up on the 3rd, and he said he didn't get his order filled.

finally got my noctua mounting kit, and have it clocked at 4ghz, and while the temps are fine its taking alot of voltage, im at 1.3875 so far and its still not quite prime stable, so far about 5 minutes in at this voltage running small ffts. crashed around 15 mins on 1.38125 so hopefully this will do it.

even then i might drop it down to 3900 but ugh, i really want that 4ghz at least. whats the deal with core voltage on these things is it really that bad to give it over 1.35?

I asked a similar question, but I don't think anyone knows. 1.4v is the most I would push it atm, but that is honestly an arbitrary number. I will probably try to stick to around 1.35v to be safe.

I sent AMD an email about recommended max safe 24/7 voltage, but Idk if they will answer me.

Last edited:

tnt118

Jan 17, 2010
I asked a similar question, but I don't think anyone knows. 1.4v is the most I would push it atm, but that is honestly an arbitrary number. I will probably try to stick to around 1.35v to be safe.

I sent AMD an email about recommended max safe 24/7 voltage, but Idk if they will answer me.

There's no chance I could find it now, but I'm nearly positive I saw an official range from AMD about a week ago. I know that doesn't help you but I think the answer is out there. Force me to guess and I think it was 1.35 for long term use.

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
There's no chance I could find it now, but I'm nearly positive I saw an official range from AMD about a week ago. I know that doesn't help you but I think the answer is out there. Force me to guess and I think it was 1.35 for long term use.

According to reddit,

CPU Info

AMD Ryzen processors do not use pre-programmed VID tables.

• Therefore, there is no fixed Vcore when the CPU runs in its out-of-box condition.
  • Default Vcore will vary depending on workload and will range from 1.2-1.3625V.
  • Overclocking an AMD Ryzen processor will snap the voltage to 1.3625V, but this value can be changed.
Edit: I also heard that xfr boosts up to 1.5v.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crono

Doom2pro

Apr 2, 2016
Bad news for Corsair and NZXT AIO coolers that use ASETEK pumps than need an AM4 bracket, I guess ASETEK (who makes brackets for both companies) got spooked by the Toms Hardware article about the backplate standoffs being taller than they expected and they are holding back AM4 bracket shipments until they can validate them on EVERY AM4 Motherboard, and you know how hard those are to come by...

Long story short, could be another 3-4 weeks until they get shipped! I guess I'll be using Zip Ties or Rubber Bands until then.

Reactions: Drazick

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
From Tom's Review:

"AMD predicts that most customers should see somewhere between 3.9 and 4.1 GHz across all cores, and suggests you stick with a 1.35V ceiling if you want your chip to last. Although core voltages in excess of 1.45V are considered sustainable, they'll have a more pronounced effect on longevity."

From Kitguru:

"Default voltage for manual tuning should start at around 1.3625V, according to AMD. Users should be fine pushing to 1.40V with a decent CPU cooler and up to 1.45V with a high-end dual-tower heatsink or dual-fan AIO radiator. At 1.45V, however, AMD suggests that processor longevity could be affected according to their models."

I take that to mean 1.35-1.45V is probably safe depending on your cooling solution.

snarfbot

Jul 22, 2007
thanks, ill give it a shot at 1.4!

so far so good, if their target for longevity is over 10 years at a specific frequency and voltage for instance, and it likely is, then halving it even wouldnt matter for most of us.

made it past the 10 minute mark, large in place ffts!!

Last edited:

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
Hmmm... Not impressed with the stock 1700 vs my i7 5820K @ 4GHz. Rendered out a video in Adobe Premiere that has a good mix of color correction, warp stabilize, downscaling of 4k to 1080p. Both systems are using the same 32GB 2666 RAM and GTX 1070, I used CUDA rendering and a 2 pass with 25 Target / 35 Max bitrate.

• i7 5820K @ 4Ghz render time: 6:51
  • Stock 1700 render time: 8:20
Going to play around with making sure I have all the right drivers and see what the RAM is running at. Not a good start though...

Reactions: Burpo

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
  • i7 5820K @ 4Ghz render time: 6:51
  • Stock 1700 render time: 8:20
Well you're starting with a 25% less CPU clock and most of the heavy work is being done by the GPU thereby removing the benefit of the extra cores?

Personally I'd think the 1800X would be a better competitor to something like the 5820K with the higher base clock.

snarfbot

Jul 22, 2007
welp im in the 4ghz ryzen club now, heres some benches, its fast!
gk6v0uK.png

Grep_Linux

Mar 15, 2017
Don't listen to them man that's the mobo I wanted, thanks so much. I just got the email for the newegg availability about 2 minutes after I ordered, you're a life saver.