AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 48 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
@Zstream I don't see why changes in latency should matter any more or less for Ryzen than other processors, compared to changes in MHz. Generally, the faster the MHz the better... I'd definitely rather have 3200MHz CL16 than 2800MHz CL14 - at least the former is tested to run at 3200MHz, and it will almost certainly also run at 2800MHz CL14.

Doom2pro

Apr 2, 2016
Jesus! I didn't realize how bad the whole DDR4 situation was! Even slower "cheap" ram is selling out or getting jacked up prices!

When I was getting my build hardware in my Newegg shopping cart, my 2x8GB 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200 RGB kit (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR) had a price increase of $10 an hour after being put into the shopping cart. I only noticed because I was keeping track of actual prices in Notepad so I knew how much I had left to spend out of my around $3100 budget, and when I started updating totals with my calculator I noticed a $10 discrepancy that had only recently popped up and which I tracked to a price increase of the 16GB DDR4 RAM kit.

I knew prices were bad but damn, price increase in the middle of shopping? *sigh*

Btw, when I made my order on Feb 23rd, my 3200 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 kit cost me $159.99.

Reactions: Drazick

Zoffster1

Feb 25, 2017
Zoffster1, I only use distilled water in my custom loops plus a drop or two of biocide.
That's was my plan B, unfortunately I couldn't get any from any of the stores where I live. I've had to order some in.

Bit annoying still that they sell a complete kit but fail to include the necessary amount of coolant. I mean I'm literally short half of what I need. After I realised that I looked at their website and noticed that they ship the same amount of coolant for with kits that have radiators and reservoirs that are half the size. Bit of an oversight on their part.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I keep coolant stocked... no idea what happened to my damn funnel though!!

Just noticing my chip reads made in Malaysia and not China... anyone know how many batches have been manufactured? Also reads 2016 AMD...

Reactions: richierich1212

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
That's was my plan B, unfortunately I couldn't get any from any of the stores where I live. I've had to order some in.

Bit annoying still that they sell a complete kit but fail to include the necessary amount of coolant. I mean I'm literally short half of what I need. After I realised that I looked at their website and noticed that they ship the same amount of coolant for with kits that have radiators and reservoirs that are half the size. Bit of an oversight on their part.

Distilled water, or biocide? Any drug store worth its salt should have jugs of distilled water.

I would assume the coolant you already have in your loops should have enough stuff in it to keep the water from getting gross for a least a month or two while you wait for more/proper coolant. If you're really worried, Bed Bath and Beyond should have some silver inserts for humidifiers that you could trim to fit in your reservoir.

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
At agressive voltage 1.46 and over double power.

The interestimg is it was a preset. So plug and play.

But imo going for even 3.9 at say 1.38 is far more sane for power and long term safe.
Auto vcore is bad. It will set it sky high.

3.9 is probably a lot easier to get to.

Zoffster1

Feb 25, 2017
Distilled water, or biocide? Any drug store worth its salt should have jugs of distilled water.

I would assume the coolant you already have in your loops should have enough stuff in it to keep the water from getting gross for a least a month or two while you wait for more/proper coolant. If you're really worried, Bed Bath and Beyond should have some silver inserts for humidifiers that you could trim to fit in your reservoir.

Believe it or not... distilled water(UK). Everywhere here just has de-ionised water.

You read my mind though, my water arrives tomorrow and a silver coil is already on it's way to me in the post! ;)

Seeing as I couldn't use the system anyway I took the opportunity to send back my 4 stick kit of ram and ordered a 2 stick set instead. I think they will sort out the RAM issue but you never know...

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Auto vcore is bad. It will set it sky high.

3.9 is probably a lot easier to get to.
Yep auto v core sets to high on my board too.
And the auto oc ing also colapsed when i tried it last time. Lol. I really never undertands what happening and goes to bios anyway. To old for the other stuff but will have to learn the new tools to learn each core limits. Bios tuning is just to slow.

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
Believe it or not... distilled water(UK). Everywhere here just has de-ionised water.

You read my mind though, my water arrives tomorrow and a silver coil is already on it's way to me in the post! ;)

Seeing as I couldn't use the system anyway I took the opportunity to send back my 4 stick kit of ram and ordered a 2 stick set instead. I think they will sort out the RAM issue but you never know...
Deionized water is more pure than distilled water.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I'm a bit confused, I've looked everywhere and found conflicting results. Will Ryzen perform faster with ram at say 3200mhz CL16 or 2800mhz CL14. Basically, how much lower would CL16 -> 15 -> 14 provide?
I saw that 3200 CL14 (if the bios gets worked out) would be the best. So thats what I ordered.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Yeah these shortages for everything except the CPUs is surely frustrating. Especially when a big company such as Corsair does not have AM4 brackets in time for release.

At least my "cheap" 1700 that I ordered from GEEKDEAL from eBay shipped out today. I don't really want to buy an ATX case and full sized ATX motherboard just to play with Ryzen. The sooner the CPU gets here the more antsy I'll get.

That early adoption tax gets ya someway or another.
Funny how Corsair is failing to get brackets out for their $100+ AIOs, while CM managed to send one for my Hyper 212 Evo in just a week (shipped internationally, no less).

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
Unfortunately I believe that deionised water is corrosive so it's not advisable to use for water cooling.

I don't see how that would be possible.

Deionized water (DI water, DIW or de-ionized water), often synonymous with demineralized water / DM water, is water that has had almost all of its mineral ions removed, such as cations like sodium, calcium, iron, and copper, and anions such as chloride and sulfate.

Apparently once exposed to the atmosphere carbonic acid will form thus, lowering the pH slightly below 7. But I seriously doubt that would be an issue.

It would certainly pick up a few ions in the loop, but that should be inconsequential.

Last edited:

Zoffster1

Feb 25, 2017
I don't see how that would be possible.

Deionized water (DI water, DIW or de-ionized water), often synonymous with demineralized water / DM water, is water that has had almost all of its mineral ions removed, such as cations like sodium, calcium, iron, and copper, and anions such as chloride and sulfate.

Apparently once exposed to the atmospherecarbonic acid will form thus lowering the pH slightly below 7, but that isn't a big deal.

I used to think so too however googling this gives me enough results to cause me to worry :
e.g.:
http://www.lytron.com/Tools-and-Technical-Reference/Application-Notes/Deionized-Water
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19690015779.pdf

Just spent quite a lot on this cooling setup so thought I'd just play it safe :D

Last edited:

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
RvprdgA.jpg

Finally got my last piece, the motherboard. Up and running at defaults right now, might try some tweaking a bit later after I get all my software reinstalled.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Chiropteran, LOOKS GREAT! Keeps us posted when you boot up. What cooler are you using?

Doom2pro

Apr 2, 2016
If you remove ions from water (deionized water), the water will pull metal ions from your loop... That is not good. Use distilled instead of deionized.

Distilled is more than good enough for any water loop, the most important factor isn't water purity, it's algae content (don't use tap water), loop bi-metal setup (is it a battery?), water mineral content (don't use tap water), anti corrosive additives (don't use just distilled water), water freezing point (use anti-freeze) otherwise your loop will burst and leak at freezing temps.

If Water Block/Radiator is Copper/Aluminum, bad news (it will corrode in a few years, battery effect), if it's Tap Water or has Algae in it, bad news, it will clog in a few years (algae bloom clogs WB fins), if it's impure (not distilled or tap water), bad news it will clog (minerals will clog WB fins), if it doesn't have anti corrosive agents in it, bad news it will corrode (it might corrode, clog in a few years via WB fins dissolving).

Copper-Brass is good for Waterblock-Radiator setup. Copper-Copper even better, but most importantly, use distilled water with anti freeze and anti corrosive additive and absolutely don't use de-ionized or tap water, don't use a bi-metal setup like Aluminum-Copper, don't skip antifreeze if you live in temperate climate (temps go below freezing).

Last edited:

james1701

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2007
33204160391_e5efe7422f_o.jpg

CPU came in today. Still waiting on an Asus Crosshair Hero board that I pre-ordered from Amazon on the 23rd. It's getting paired with Gskill Trident Z 3200mhz CAS 14. I have two Sapphire Nitro Fury. It's going under an XSPC Raystorm copper block, 360 rad in P/P with a dual D5 bay res in my 900D.