AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
H440%20amd_zpsejshshy0.jpg

Kraken X61 280mm AIO (£30 cheaper than the X62, and I plan to swap the fans anyway)
6803_99_nzxt_kraken_x61_280mm_aio_cpu_cooler_review.jpg
I kind of like these. The case is sexy with clear message. Why do you plan to change the fans? The blades look like very efficient type.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Processor: AMD R7 1800x, 8 core/16 thread.
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero
Graphics card: MSI Nvidia GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2400 DIMM CL14 Dual Kit
Hard Drives: Samsung 850 PRO+ WD BLUE 2tb.(possibility of changing 850 pro for 250 960 Evo)
Power supply: Crosair RMx 750W
Case: Be qiuet Dark base 900 black/silver
Operating System: Win 10

what do you think?
If the discussion on the 'leaked' benchmarks in these forums is any indication, then it would be better to invest in faster RAM for Ryzen.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I don't know what the tangible difference is between the 1700 and 1800 chips, so I haven't decided which chip to get yet. I'd like to reward AMD by getting their top tier chip, but if I can get the same performance from a less expensive model, then I'd be really stupid not to do that. That's the enthusiast way and it always has been. Simply buying the most expensive part is not the enthusiast way, and it seems that AMD may bring back not only competition, but the ability to get a great deal through buying a less expensive part and tweaking it to get top tier performance. My 3930k delivered that, but these days you can't get it.
The only real thing I'm wondering about is whether or not I should reuse my PSU. Its certainly rated high enough, but I've had it since 2011 when I built my 2600K rig. Its about 6 years old. I might just replace it since I don't want it dying on me in a couple years or exploding and taking the whole rig with it. But yes, unless real world benchmarks shock us all and turn out to be really crappy, I will be building an AMD rig. (did I just actually say that?)
It will have at least 16gb of fast DDR4, but how fast? I have no idea because I don't know how these CPU's scale with ram speed. We'll find out. I won't buy expensive ram if it won't do anything for performance. One thing is for sure though. If AMD sells me one CPU, they have really sold me at least two. The low cost of these things completely guarantees that I will simply buy a Zen+ and throw it in the rig. Maybe even a Zen++ if the board doesn't need upgrading. Once I go with Zen, I'm sticking with it for a long time.
I'll need some new water tubing. I might get a 1080ti to go with the rig. With nothing but a Zen CPU and a single 1080ti, I'll be over radded like absolute crazy. What universe is this? I think I'm lost. I think I said a few lines ago that I plan on building an AMD rig. This is strange, like an episode of the twilight zone or something.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
what about 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-2400 DIMM CL10 Dual Kit ?
You can always try OCing, though yes, the modules that are better suited to it are also more expensive. The Vengeance LPX series has one with 3200MHz C15, that should be of good value as you're more likely to see improvements with frequency than latency, though the particular Ryzen benchmark in question was mostly latency-bound.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I don't know what the tangible difference is between the 1700 and 1800 chips, so I haven't decided which chip to get yet. I'd like to reward AMD by getting their top tier chip, but if I can get the same performance from a less expensive model, then I'd be really stupid not to do that. That's the enthusiast way and it always has been. Simply buying the most expensive part is not the enthusiast way, and it seems that AMD may bring back not only competition, but the ability to get a great deal through buying a less expensive part and tweaking it to get top tier performance.

It gives no meaning to reward amd. Its like indirectly rewarding mubadala through some sort of stock options and for the rest reward shareholders. Its not a non profit organization.

And yes i agree for the second part. The top line cpu is not the enthusiast choice imo. This time it looks more difficult because hey what does it really matter to pay the extra?

But thats just because Intel have been segmenting the crap out of us pc buyers the last 5 years. We have been giving outrageous expensive products. But that shouldn't prevent us from buying a dirt cheap 1700 non x an oc it to oc 6900 level in 5 min. Dont let Intel idiotic hedt line prices influence the historical enthusiast choice!

The 1700 looks like a bargain comparable to the venerable celeron 300a. Imo its 20 years since we saw something as good for enthusiast.

With enthusiast perspective look at the 1700. Its a freakshow. Oc it to 4.2 all cores and you are probably still within 140w tdp. Or oc it to 4.5 all vores. A massive wopping 50% oc on a 8c cpu. Its a dream.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
The stilt have told us what ram to get. 2667 and up. Good timings. Imo i translate that to that the cpu can handle it (important) and benefits from it. So no dirt cheap 2400 for the r7.

gerreh

Feb 15, 2017
Current rig:

Corsair Carbide Air 540
i7 2600k @ 4.2ghz (can't remember which cooler)
4x4gb DDR3 1866
R9 390x MSI GAMING OC
2x 250gb evo 850
Corsair RM850 PSU

Going to upgrade to the following, late march (after benchmarks and small drops in retail pricing)

R7 1800x (unless the perf difference with 1700x is neglectable)
4x8gb DDR 3000 MHZ (most likely Kingston, need good timings)
Kraken X62
Not sure about which x370 mobo yet, the ASrock Taichi looks pretty good. Going for specs over looks tho
R9 390x (sticking with this one till VEGA)
500gb 960 evo m.2 (starting with 1)
sticking with corsair case & PSU, as they aren't that old.

Gonna be great finally upgrading my old rig, AMD looks like they have finally turned the tide.

Jeff007245

Aug 31, 2007
Current Rig - Going to pass down to my son (don't know when he's going to be able to use it, he's currently 3yrs old in March)

Case: Lian Li AMD Dragon Case (Special Edition Case)
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
CPU: AMD FX 8320E (active) + FX 9590 (I hate this CPU)
Ram: AMD R9 32gb DDR3 2400
GPU: Asus Strix R9 Fury x2 xfire
SSD: SanDisk Pro 960gb
PSU: Corsair AXi 860
Cooling: Corsair H100i GTX with Corsair ML120 fans x5 (red)
Cable: Cablemod (Red/Black)

I will be retiring my old Piledriver build and moving on to Ryzen, but I can't seem to decide which one to build first...

I want to build 2 ATX desktops and a mITX HTPC. I only have the budget to build one over the top ATX this year or possibly two max if I can reuse some parts. If I don't build my ROG rig, I can definitely complete the Crystal Build and mITX HTPC this year.

I have 2 ATX cases I want to build around - one for me and one for wife:

Inwin S-Frame that's still inside the box. Been dying to use this case for an ROG build for the longest time (5 years).

And an Inwin Tou that my wife currently uses. It currently has full Intel Skylake components and a NVIDIA GPU in it that I plan to sell - and keep usable parts for Ryzen.

Selling: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming G1 (was $500 jeez), Core i5 6600k, Intel SSD 512gb (one with Skull)

Spare Parts: Klevv Cras 16gb 3000 white, Seasonic Snowsilent 1050, R9 Fury X with Bitspower Waterblock, Galax HOF Geforce GTX 980ti, Cougar CFD120 x6, Deepcool 240 AIO rev.1.0, Deepcool 240 rev.2.0

1. ROG BUILD
(Red/Black)

Case: Inwin S-Frame
Motherboard: Asus Crosshairs VI (Hero, Formula, Extreme)
CPU: Ryzen 1800X or Higher (if waiting)
Ram: Klevv Cras 32gb 3000 (red) or Corsair DP 32gb 3200 (ROG)
GPU: Vega x or Higher (if waiting)
SSD: Mydigitalssd m.2 960gb (when released)
PSU: Corsair AXi 1200 or 1500
Cooling: Full Custom Loop with Full Block (Bitspower or EK), Black Rad 360 and high end fans
Cable: Cablemod or Full Custom sleeved (Red/Black)

2. Crystal Build (White)

Case: Inwin Tou
Motherboard: MSI x370 Xpower Titanium (if it has WiFi & BT)
CPU: Ryzen 1800X
Ram: Klevv Cras 16gb 3000 white (spare) or Corsair Dominator Platinum 32gb 3200 (SE Chrome)
GPU: Vega or Galax HOF Geforce GTX 980ti (spare)
PSU: Seasonic Snowsilent 1050 (spare)
Cooling: Full Custom Loop with Full Block (Bitspower or EK), XSPC Rad 360 + 240 White and Cougar CFD120 White x 6
Cable: Cablemod or Full Custom sleeved (White)

3. Mini ITX HTPC (Blacked out or White)

Case: Lian Li PC-05SW white or PC-05SX black
Motherboard: X300 or X370 mITX (undecided but must have WiFi and Bluetooth and top of the line)
CPU: Ryzen 1*00X
Ram: Klevv Cras 16gb 3000 white (spare) or Corsair Dominator Platinum 32gb 3200 (SE Black)
GPU: R9 Fury X with Bitspower Waterblock
PSU: Corsair SF 600
Cooling: Full Custom Loop with Full Block (Bitspower or EK), XSPC Rad 360 (White or Black)
Cable: Cablemod or Full Custom sleeved (white)

Last edited:

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
I'm still somewhat drawn between 1700, 1700X and 1800X. My decision depends a lot on overall ST performance and the XFR performance of Ryzen. Unless 1700 is considerably worse than leaked, then that's the minimum i'd buy

I'm also really torn between whether to use Noctua NH-D15S or CM MasterLiquid 280. I would like to try out liquid cooling ... but I struggle to find a single review which would not tell me, that Noctua is either quieter or more efficient than any (decently priced) closed loop cooling. Is the situation really that absurd?

Anyway, current PLANS:

Common Parts:
CPU: Ryzen R7 1800X (or 1700X)
GPU: MSI GTX 970 (recycled)
MoBo: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero (X370)
Mem: 3200 Mhz CL16 (2x8GB) RipjawsV 1.2V (due to insane pricing, will switch to 32GB at some point)
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
HDD: (recycled)
PSU: 650W PSU 650W EVGA SuperNOVA G2

AIR:
Case: Fractal Design Define C
Cooling: Noctua NH-D15S

Water:
Case: Fractal Design Define S
Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 280

Is Noctua (or tower coolers in general) really that good?
My Hyper 212+ was also supposed to be great on my current i5 2500K ... but 6 years later (and only very limited overclocking in 2013, never over stock voltage), I need to open my case while playing Witcher 3 @stock just to stop it from overheating!
I guess i should move my lazy ass and reapply the 6-year old thermal paste, but still ....such experience makes me doubt the awesomeness of the super-duper tower open-air coolers. Whats your suggestion?

I would really appreciate any suggestions or advice on whether to go liquid or not :)

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
The 1700 looks like a bargain comparable to the venerable celeron 300a. Imo its 20 years since we saw something as good for enthusiast.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but remember the 300a was something of a "mistake", that we're very unlikely to see repeated.

BTW, "mistake" as in being far too good value for the asking price. I don't think Intel was happy about about that.

otinane

Oct 13, 2016
The memory speed support is mainly software dependent, as long as the board (chipset) supports overclocking.
As with every other platform, lower the timings the better.

Then the suggestion to all is:
Buy RAM with higher frequency than CPU memory controller, and up to the higher motherboard standards, and down clock the frequency at the memory's controller level, earning enough space for tighter timings.

Current Built:
Phenom II x4 960T Black Edition
Gigabyte mATX
2x4GB 1600MHz DDR3 dual channel
Seagate Barracuda 5400rpm 1TB
Sapphire HD7750 2GB
Fedora 25

Future Build:
Zen+ APU or Zen/Zen+ server APU
2x8GB dual or 4x4GB quad DDR4
ASUS or Gigabyte
1x M.2 NVMe
1x 1-2TB WD HDD 7200rpm
Fedora (Workstation) and Windows (light weight gaming)

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
I'm still somewhat drawn between 1700, 1700X and 1800X. My decision depends a lot on overall ST performance and the XFR performance of Ryzen. Unless 1700 is considerably worse than leaked, then that's the minimum i'd buy

I'm also really torn between whether to use Noctua NH-D15S or CM MasterLiquid 280. I would like to try out liquid cooling ... but I struggle to find a single review which would not tell me, that Noctua is either quieter or more efficient than any (decently priced) closed loop cooling. Is the situation really that absurd?

Anyway, current PLANS:

Common Parts:
CPU: Ryzen R7 1800X (or 1700X)
GPU: MSI GTX 970 (recycled)
MoBo: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero (X370)
Mem: 3200 Mhz CL16 (2x8GB) RipjawsV 1.2V (due to insane pricing, will switch to 32GB at some point)
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
HDD: (recycled)
PSU: 650W PSU 650W EVGA SuperNOVA G2

AIR:
Case: Fractal Design Define C
Cooling: Noctua NH-D15S

Water:
Case: Fractal Design Define S
Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 280

Is Noctua (or tower coolers in general) really that good?
My Hyper 212+ was also supposed to be great on my current i5 2500K ... but 6 years later (and only very limited overclocking in 2013, never over stock voltage), I need to open my case while playing Witcher 3 @stock just to stop it from overheating!
I guess i should move my lazy ass and reapply the 6-year old thermal paste, but still ....such experience makes me doubt the awesomeness of the super-duper tower open-air coolers. Whats your suggestion?

I would really appreciate any suggestions or advice on whether to go liquid or not :)

The Noctua will be the best value for money, but a decent 240/280/360mm AIO should beat it in temps.

For noise, the Noctua should be quieter than most if not all AIO's, however some of them get awfully close noise values at better temps. I'm going water cooling just because I want the most out of my XFR and my NZXT H440 case has some pretty good noise cancelling features.

Reactions: Gideon

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but remember the 300a was something of a "mistake", that we're very unlikely to see repeated.

BTW, "mistake" as in being far too good value for the asking price. I don't think Intel was happy about about that.
Cel 300a was dirt cheap. But with zen 1700 we get a top of the line cpu with massive ammounts of cache and cores. Actually its first time in history as i can remember we can oc such a top of the line cpu that we can oc near/aprox 50%. Right?

We will get insane ammounts of computing power for a meager 320usd and we can even pair it with a comparatively cheap mb to boot. For nerds that is not on very very strict budget this is a historical deal. We dont need the last efficiency xfr-whatever gives us. Thats for the server folks and 99.5% ordinary users. You guys are getting to old, rich, comfy and safety obsessed. If 1700 is not 100% ideal for us we need to quit calling us enthusiast. Man up.

Reactions: Insert_Nickname

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
1800X, X370 matx. Bought 2x16 GSkill DDR4-3200, Corsair RM650x, Temjin case, and 850 Pro 1TB over the holidays (was going to build KL but that was disappointing). Keeping my 290 till Vega comes out. Undecided about cooling--I don't want to mess with a custom loop but want to get the best cooling with the least fuss (cost is less of a concern). Might be another Corsair AIO but open to suggestions here.

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
Hmm, perhaps we need a list of which companies will be supporting AM4 with mounting brackets, and a selection of AIO watercooling options.

I'm looking at: Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 360mm - however as this is a 9cm deep setup i'd have to remove one set of the push/pull fans to fit it in the top of my case, or mount it in the front could be an option.

NZXT Kraken X61/62 360mm

I wanted the Silverstone Tundra TD02 for its efficient cooling, aesthetics and low noise under load, but as of this moment Silverstone will not be providing AM4 brackets.

Edit - list taken from reddit, companies that will provide an AM4 bracket with proof of purchase (some require proof of Ryzen cpu purchase too)

link - https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5o5ec3/companies_that_will_provide_free_brackets_for_am4/

Phanteks
Enermax
BeQuiet
Cryorig
Corsair
Noctua
DeepCool
Alphacool
SilentiumPC
Thermalright
Cooler Master

Last edited:
Reactions: richierich1212
Jun 19, 2012
The best value looks to be the 6 core/12 thread model. It can offer Core i7-6800k/5820k performance at a much lower price. For the price of a 6800k you could get a 6 core/12 thread Ryzen processor plus motherboard plus entry level water cooler like a Corsair H60. Of course the Intel processors and motherboards do have extra features like extra PCI/PCI-E lanes, Integrated Graphics and thunderbolt, but of course not everyone needs those features. Finally I think Ryzen will not only deliver on performance gains but it will also be very popular. Ryzen based computers will be like Pentium 4 based computers, there will be tons of them that are sold used in several years and several of them in people's garages.

Greyguy1948

Nov 29, 2008
I would really like to have a 8C/16T Ryzen but I'm not so interested in games and overcklocking. I have never been able to get out the most from 16 threads in programming. Even 8 threads can be hard enough. I would like to have something faster than standard DDR4 like in some Intel mobos.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
I would really like to have a 8C/16T Ryzen but I'm not so interested in games and overcklocking. I have never been able to get out the most from 16 threads in programming. Even 8 threads can be hard enough. I would like to have something faster than standard DDR4 like in some Intel mobos.
I don't know about you, but I've seen unoptimized finite-difference PDE solvers in Fortran easily eat up 6-8 threads on an i7 3770.