AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 164 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
1006 is a weird mess here. Waiting for next update.
Naa. I can go to 2933 from 2666. Had to alter cas manually though. Soc 1.12 ram 1.355.
My ram is some cheap corsair dlx 3000. Probably double sided as i can read hmm so actually fine result.
What some crazy stuff 133 each month. Day one firsr marts it was 2133.

Last edited:

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
For Asus Prime X370-Pro motherboard owners, the final 1.0.0.6a BIOS was posted today. Version 805.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X370-PRO/PRIME-X370-PRO-ASUS-0805.zip

Working great on my board, but that's what I expected since 0803 Beta was also stable for me. This board seems to hit a brick wall beyond 3200 MHz on the memory, but I'm quite happy with 3200 @ C14.

Remember to always "Load optimized defaults", Save, reboot, before you flash. Yeah, it takes you 5 minutes re-apply your custom settings, but it could save you 3 - 8 weeks if you had to RMA the board because you bricked it.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Remember to always "Load optimized defaults", Save, reboot, before you flash. Yeah, it takes you 5 minutes re-apply your custom settings, but it could save you 3 - 8 weeks if you had to RMA the board because you bricked it.
I've flashed my BIOS probably 15 times since I bought the board with many different versions from 0504 and up and I've not once loaded defaults. Of course it sets BIOS to defaults once the new one is flashed but haven't had to do it before.

I'm sure it's decent advice but I think it's mostly an old wives tale.

bfun_x1

May 29, 2015
I've flashed my BIOS probably 15 times since I bought the board with many different versions from 0504 and up and I've not once loaded defaults. Of course it sets BIOS to defaults once the new one is flashed but haven't had to do it before.

I've never had an issue either until this time. I updated the BIOS and then had to move the jumper to boot. System booted. I changed the memory speed to 3200, rebooted, and again the system would not boot so had to move the jumper a second time. After that, the system would boot at 3200 but it locks up after a few seconds at the BIOS screen or Windows boot. Before the update the boot would fail 3 times and come back to the BIOS interface.

Something else odd happened. I thought I had already updated to the latest version 2.5 when it was released so I was a little surprised when the system found a new update. When the download started it made no mention of the BIOS version and simply said downloading and installing AGESA 1.0.0.6 update. Maybe that's normal or maybe I was too tired last night to realize what was happening.

Reactions: Drazick

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005

Yeah it will probably work, even if you flash while overclocked, but like I said, it's 5 minutes work to potentially save you weeks of headache.

Reactions: Malogeek

coffeemonster

Apr 18, 2015

That gave me an amusing image of a bunch of old wives knitting in rocking chairs and chatting about the proper way to re-flash a BIOS

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
yes, the young whippersnappers will never know the struggle. some of us only had 1.44MB to work with

BIOS 2.40 seems to be holding up on my board very well; no issues to report. hopefully it stays that way.

Reactions: Drazick and Aenra

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
yes, the young whippersnappers will never know the struggle. some of us only had 1.44MB to work with

BIOS 2.40 seems to be holding up on my board very well; no issues to report. hopefully it stays that way.

Ah the good old days erasing Eproms with ultra violet light. ;)

Reactions: Aenra

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012

Or having to overclock via soldering iron.. Putting a faster clock crystal on your motherboard, then crossing your fingers.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000

Settings don't always go back to default and the settings that do change or reset can be weird like on my Taichi. Up till it got to the 2.0's the Virtual stuff was on by default. Now every update turns it off. But memory and CPU settings have stayed.

Updating a bios with an overclock running is risky for two reason's. The increased opportunity for something to go wrong during the update process (bricking the BIOS) and the other being if the OC doesn't work correctly with the new BIOS it won't post. These still apply.

Now these issues and more were amplified back in the day and with a lot less recovery options. But I did it 15 times without an issue doesn't mean you can't have an issue and all it takes is one issue to negate the 15-30-100 times you updated without one.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Or having to overclock via soldering iron.. Putting a faster clock crystal on your motherboard, then crossing your fingers.
Yep. Got 25MHz up from 20MHz on my 386sx. Then plugged in Cyrix fpu. Cyrix fpu give that a thought... Strong sauce...speeded up excel screen redraw.

But hey compared to getting a ryzen bios to run your mem at Intel secret xmp standard its actually easy stuff. Ryzen bios is more comparable to have a conversation with your teen kids. Totally unpredictable but evolving to something more mature.

Aenra

Jun 24, 2017
Ah the good old days erasing Eproms with ultra violet light. ;)

Wanted to ask for details, realized it's OT and i'm too new here to derail threads..
Please make an appropriately titled thread and go into detail, am really, really curious :)

(not young [sadly], just.. missed that train; it's a bit of a new/recent hobby for me)

BradC

Apr 24, 2017
you had me at the word cassette. i yield. please, no more...

As amusing as it is to joke about, it's a fantastic indicator of how far we've come in the time I've been playing (and I only got my first computer in 1983. I skipped the whole paper tape and punch card bit). To think I had a shoe box of 5.25" single sided floppies that were alphabetized and catalogued on a Visicalc spreadsheet and I can now fit the equivalent of 148 of those shoe boxes on a uSD card the size of my little fingernail.

On topic though, my 1800X is trucking along nicely. I'm just waiting for someone to fix the bug that causes random gcc crashes under heavy load and I can deploy it to replace the FX-8350 in my main "server".
When they finally get the memory compatibility sorted out I might even upgrade from the 2400CL17 RAM and get something a bit quicker. While I'm wishing, someone could update the linux thermal and power drivers to get information from the new chips too.

AMD are usually pretty good with keeping linux support up to date, but they've kinda dropped the ball on this one to date.

Agent-47

Jan 17, 2017
Not sure what the default is, it has a range of 0.9-1.4V.
AMD "datasheet" says the value should never go above 1.05v. Thats an effective range of 0.9-1.05v. So I actually wonder how effective it is. and they say lower value is better for stability.

Voltage for the DDR4 PHY on the SoC. Somewhat counterintuitively, lowering VDDP can often be more beneficial for stability than raising CLDO_VDDP. Advanced overclockers should also know that altering CLDO_VDDP can move or resolve memory holes. Small changes to VDDP can have a big effect, and VDDP cannot not be set to a value greater than VDIMM-0.1V (not to exceed 1.05V). A cold reboot is required if you alter this voltage.

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
Ended up settling on the Ryzen 7 1700. Going to try overclocking it this time around. Next purchases are a new PSU and CableMod replacement cables for a cleaner build. Really excited how my all red build is turning out so far!

Edit: So, I've been doing some stability testing. P95 small and it's been going for 3.5 hours now. It's Cinebench stable as well. 3.9 GHz @ 1.325v. It's not bad, but not great! As soon as it wouldn't do 4 at these volts, I gave up. Nothing more than 1.35 is my limit for sure. Not breaking 68c, which is nice.
I'm having trouble figuring out how to optimize the pstates on the taichi appropriately for my overclock though. I'm running LLC Level 2 on both soc and cpu vid. Not sure if I should drop it to 3, and save myself a bit of heat or not either.

Last edited:
Reactions: guachi and Drazick
Mar 10, 2006
So I put together a Ryzen system about a week ago now (specs in my sig), and I'd like to share some of my overall impressions.

On the plus side, I like that you can get an 8 core CPU for "cheap." The 1700/1700X are reasonably priced and can be overclocked to about what the 1800X can achieve, so that's nice. Platform cost is very low, too. Motherboard was like $80 (B350 has all of the features I want, including overclocking) and it had everything I wanted sans integrated Wi-Fi (but I picked up a really nice Wi-Fi adapter for cheap).

My 1700X is a decent, but not earth-shattering overclocker, but I was able to get to 3.84GHz on a $25 air cooler and my temps are fine. I'm going to try to push past 3.9GHz, but the voltage that's required for me to be here at 3.84GHz already has me a bit on edge -- 1.4V is as far as I'm willing to go for 24/7 usage (and AMD really recommends 1.35V but I suspect they're playing it a bit safe with that number, you know, just because).

Last edited:

Jan Olšan

Jan 12, 2017
You will probably get better gains from OCing (or replacing) the RAM to say 2933 MHz. Getting 50 MHz more is how much, 1,25% gain? Not worth huge power/noise increase.

Space Tyrant

Feb 14, 2017
You will probably get better gains from OCing (or replacing) the RAM to say 2933 MHz. Getting 50 MHz more is how much, 1,25% gain? Not worth huge power/noise increase.
yep. I OC'd my 1600 by 12.5% and my memory by 25% (based on 2667MHz being the supported memory max).

I did get a small heat increase from the memory overclock, which I'm guessing is from the faster data fabric as well as the CPU taking shorter naps when waiting on cache and memory accesses.

Reactions: Drazick

Aenra

Jun 24, 2017
Guys don't take this wrong way, we each make do according to what we're capable of; no innuendos, no offense. Just me failing to comprehend and honestly curious.

Why would you buy a 1600, 1700 or 1800 instead of its X variant? With the pricing difference being that tiny (contrary to the potential benefits), what exactly was your thinking?

Edit: i can understand financial constraints; am asking because in all honesty, i cannot possibly believe they are the sole reason, not for the thousands of people that could have afforded better but chose not to; for whatever reason.

Space Tyrant

Feb 14, 2017
Guys don't take this wrong way, we each make do according to what we're capable of; no innuendos, no offense. Just me failing to comprehend and honestly curious.

Why would you buy a 1600, 1700 or 1800 instead of its X variant? With the pricing difference being that tiny (contrary to the potential benefits), what exactly was your thinking?
I bought a 1600 because the OC MHz/Vcore curve presents a 'wall' that results in a small absolute performance difference between the 1600 and the X version.

As it turns out, I'm running it at 3.6 GHz even though it easily hits 3.9 with the Spire cooler at reasonable temps and vcore. Since I place a high priority on quiet and cool, I would have probably ran a 1600X at stock or lower anyway.

Reactions: Aenra