AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 130 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
Well I'm frustrated with the new build. Some of the games I play really jitter with SMT enabled. I believe it's due to the fact the game is running on the SMT cores. Is there anyway to determine right off which cores have SMT enabled?

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Well I'm frustrated with the new build. Some of the games I play really jitter with SMT enabled. I believe it's due to the fact the game is running on the SMT cores. Is there anyway to determine right off which cores have SMT enabled?

Try enabling high performance mode (or installing Ryzen balanced power plan) and seeing if you can do a fixed clock OC. I think before I did those two things Windows power management would occasionally give me microstutters due to changing clocks.

Balanced power plan installer:
https://community.amd.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/1461-70650/Ryzen_Balanced_Power_Plan.zip

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
All cores have SMT enabled. The quick answer is turn off even cores in affinity for that application (assuming that, that is what is causing the issue). Long answer is SMT on this isn't so much one core is Real and one is SMT. Both are schedulable and the CPU basically decides based on load and other things which to process. You can send a full 100% single core load to either CPU and it won't affect the workload.

Now windows is supposed to be able to tell which CPU are full cores and which are SMT for assignment (again just basically assuming all odds as real and evens as SMT). What you might be running into is Windows parking cores and flopping a really light workload around to keep power usage and clock speed low. If you have power set to balanced than that will happen a lot and was easily the main reason for Performance issues originally.

Reactions: Dresdenboy

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001

Can you tell me which games you notice this in?

I've been playing a lot of Rocket League, Dirt Rally, Overwatch and some light titles ( Gauntlet, Helldivers, Grid Autosport ) and I've been experiencing the (perhaps imagined) "smoother framing" compared to my old i5-4590.

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
Try enabling high performance mode (or installing Ryzen balanced power plan) and seeing if you can do a fixed clock OC. I think before I did those two things Windows power management would occasionally give me microstutters due to changing clocks.

Balanced power plan installer:
https://community.amd.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/1461-70650/Ryzen_Balanced_Power_Plan.zip

Yep, enabled high performance plan. I did upgrade to the latest bios yesterday and haven't tested since. The new bios did fix my audio issues, maybe it fixed this.

Reactions: richierich1212

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
Can you tell me which games you notice this in?

I've been playing a lot of Rocket League, Dirt Rally, Overwatch and some light titles ( Gauntlet, Helldivers, Grid Autosport ) and I've been experiencing the (perhaps imagined) "smoother framing" compared to my old i5-4590.

Archeage, Crysis 3 - it's much smoother when playing WoT and gods and generals.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
my guilty pleasure KF2 is noticeably smoother even with vast amounts of gore flying all over the place.

anyone try Doom yet?

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I don't know about Doom, but I've been enjoying completely smooth Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm. I don't have the occasional stutters that I had with my i7. Which is weird, because neither of those are particularly demanding titles.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Waiting for an official update to the Asus C6H 1002 BIOS. I'm running one of the beta BIOS, 081, which is working well with both 4Ghz OC and ram running at DDR4-3200.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Guess who just updated to F3 on the Gigabyte K7...

AIDA64%203200%20CL14%20%204GHz%204xDIMM%20K7_zpsayvxe6wz.png

32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL14 achieved! I enabled XMP profile 1 and upped the voltage to 1.45V. May be able to go lower, we'll see. I should note I enabled XMP, saved and rebooted. Changed voltage, saved and rebooted.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
GREAT job IEC. A couple more updates from AMD and these RyZen chips will really be solid.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Any performance difference between 2x16 and 4x8? Is it better to populate all of the slots? Or have more or less chips per dimm?

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Anyone running GTX 1070s in SLI with a 1600(X) or Ryzen 7? Considering doing it rather than waiting for Vega, and the 1070s would be a good upgrade for gaming and video editing from mining-worn R9 390s.

Mockingbird

Feb 12, 2017
From looking around a bit, the consensus seems to be the Tachi and the Asus Hero are the best boards for overclocking/memory compatibility right now? I've got a 1700 sitting here doing nothing and I'm itching to get the system built now. I've favored gigabyte lately but not heard glowing reports of their aorus boards so far.

I have the Gigabyte GA-AX370 Gaming K7.

I don't have have any problem with it, but it just seems expensive esp. compare to the AsRock X370 Taichi which has better VRM phrases and more features all the while costing less.

That said, the GA-AX370 Gaming K7 does seem to have better memory support than the X370 Taichi.

Reactions: Ranulf

slpnshot

Dec 1, 2011
Would love it if anyone can chime in.

Currently running 1700 on a Asus CH6 OC'd to 3.6. It seemed stable after multiple passes of IBT but getting the following error on all my cores/threads when I boot.

Source: Kernel-Processor-Power (Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power)
Event ID:35
Level: Error
Performance power management features on processor 0 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.

The Bios is 1002 on the Asus mobo.

Anyone see anything similar? Wondering if this might be a cosmetic issue from disabling power saving features on the bios.

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
From looking around a bit, the consensus seems to be the Tachi and the Asus Hero are the best boards for overclocking/memory compatibility right now? I've got a 1700 sitting here doing nothing and I'm itching to get the system built now. I've favored gigabyte lately but not heard glowing reports of their aorus boards so far.

Asus has the cheapest X370 board in the Prime, but it feel s very "cut down" in terms of BIOS features. Memory support isn't great due to the lack of a DRAM Boot Voltage among other things. It might have the worst memory support of all X370 boards - Only 2 types of RAM are certified for 3200, and the vast majority of RAM is only certified for 2133 with this board.

So if you can spend the extra $40 for the Taichi, I think it's worth it. The C6H seems a bit overpriced for what it is. It's not like you get more PCI-E lanes or anything like that, since it's still the X370 chipset.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranulf and NesuD

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Anyone running GTX 1070s in SLI with a 1600(X) or Ryzen 7? Considering doing it rather than waiting for Vega, and the 1070s would be a good upgrade for gaming and video editing from mining-worn R9 390s.

Crono: I'm running RX480s in Crossfire with a 1800x and having a hoot. I just wanted to stay "all AMD" BUT running 2 GTX1070s would be much more powerful GPU wise.
As usual, part of the problem is wheter or not the games will have profiles for SLI/CF. Also what size monitor are you using?

In my case, since I wanted to stay with the most modern AMD gpu I bought a RX480 and then got the "bug" to CF it. With the GTX1070, that is quite a bit more expensive proposition.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
CF is a total waste... I had two 480's for about a week and found maybe one game that supported it well. I used to be all for CF but it seems like SLI is supported by a lot more games.

i tried many different drivers/profiles with the twin polaris cards and almost every game had issues

Reactions: w3rd

plopke

Jan 26, 2010
Kinda got scared shitless today ,

Boot up PC , hello Bios prompt i never see because normally you boot straight into windows..
5min later , hello Bios prompt still being there
...eum reboot
Hello bios prompt again
5min later , black screen , still responding but very slowly to numlock on/off ok so not stuck
7min later tap delete
10min later ow bios interface , working normally

eeeeeeeeeum save and quit

Rebooting followed by instant windows loading screen ........

WTH.....

Spec:
No OC
AB350-Gaming 3 Gigabyte , default bios settings + SVM(virtualization) turned on , Bios F5
Saphhire nitro RX 470
16GB ADATA XPG