AMD Ryzen 5000 Builders Thread

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Last edited:

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Have you tried a different brand of DDR4-3200 memory? What about if you use the default (non-XMP) setting for the memory in the BIOS, is it stable then on the 5900x?

It should have been running and trying to boot at JEDEC 2133 MHz all along since I was starting from a fresh CMOS cleared state. It’s just basic Micron E-die that my 3700x can OC to 3600+ MHz with tightened timings. So I thought about buying some new ram at MC and trying that but feel like I shouldn’t have to, given that this stuff is quality.

Have you tried to reset CMOS?
Is the RAM on your mobo compatibility list (even if it worked before, if it isn't on the QVL list, then it's possible -- though admittedly not probable -- that it will work with some hardware configurations and not others)?

Definitely, always started from a fresh cleared CMOS state. I just checked and the memory is not on the qvl for either Zen 2 or Zen 3 on either board — but if the IMC can’t run or even boot decent standard Micron E-die even at 2133 :/ think it’s probably going back unfortunately. Maybe I’ll exchange if they have one, otherwise just stick with what I have. Works great and quite fast.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
FWIW the first bios out using agesa 1.1.0.0 complete F'd some memory. You might have to goto JEDEC settings. I had trouble booting until I did that. Eventually I got it back to XMP later.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
FWIW the first bios out using agesa 1.1.0.0 complete F'd some memory. You might have to goto JEDEC settings. I had trouble booting until I did that. Eventually I got it back to XMP later.

I’m on 1.1.0.0 Patch C, I assume you mean before it was patched? Or is it still screwed up?

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I’m on 1.1.0.0 Patch C, I assume you mean before it was patched? Or is it still screwed up?

I'd think your board should have a new bios out with 1.1.8.0 or 1.1.9.0 by now. I'd definitely update to a newer agesa version before calling it quits on zen 3.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I'd think your board should have a new bios out with 1.1.8.0 or 1.1.9.0 by now. I'd definitely update to a newer agesa version before calling it quits on zen 3.

They had a beta out for 1.1.9.0 but it looks like they pulled it from the website. I have 15 days to return so guess I’ll hold onto it for a week or two to see if they post an update.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
They had a beta out for 1.1.9.0 but it looks like they pulled it from the website. I have 15 days to return so guess I’ll hold onto it for a week or two to see if they post an update.

The version before the beta should be 1.1.8.0, if it's 3003 or 3001 or something. What board is it?

I'm pretty sure on 3003 my dark hero was on agesa 1.1.8.0. I upgraded to the now removed beta bios for 1.1.9.0.

I assume they removed it because it's a buggy pos, but the previous bios was as well (for the dark hero, anyway).

Asus is really off their game.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
The version before the beta should be 1.1.8.0, if it's 3003 or 3001 or something. What board is it?

I first tried on a brand new TUF X570 Pro with unknown BIOS revision (the board that booted it once, never got to check the version). Now on my Prime X570 Pro with 3001. I didn’t know that this is 1.1.8.0 because the change log didn’t mention it, just something about resizable BAR and SAM support.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010

I'm pretty sure on 3003 my dark hero was on agesa 1.1.8.0. I upgraded to the now removed beta bios for 1.1.9.0.

I assume they removed it because it's a buggy pos, but the previous bios was as well (for the dark hero, anyway).

Asus is really off their game.

I haven’t had any issues with 3001 on my board, with Zen 2 at least. What problems are you having with it? I switched to ASUS because I thought my old Asrock X370 taichi bios was a buggy pos. Maybe they’re all buggy pos ...

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I first tried on a brand new TUF X570 Pro with unknown BIOS revision (the board that booted it once, never got to check the version). Now on my Prime X570 Pro with 3001. I didn’t know that this is 1.1.8.0 because the change log didn’t mention it, just something about resizable BAR and SAM support.

You can check by booting into the UEFI - The main page lists the current AGESA version.

Perhaps you could try reverting to the previous bios version using flashback? My dark hero came with an older revision before 3003 (which should be equivalent to 3001 on your board) and it posted perfectly fine.

Albeit I haven't had any issues posting with ram, but all the kits I have are B-die.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I haven’t had any issues with 3001 on my board, with Zen 2 at least. What problems are you having with it? I switched to ASUS because I thought my old Asrock X370 taichi bios was a buggy pos. Maybe they’re all buggy pos ...

The act of simply enabling PBO even leaving everything at 0 or auto caused it to fail to boot windows, bsod, or other weirdness. The dynamic OC switcher feature fails to switch fairly commonly, either from auto to static or the other way. Safe boot button is broken AF - Attempting to use it causes a boot loop and failure to post, whether or not I use it during a genuine failure to post due to bad uefi settings. Often, when changing uefi settings (which should be safe settings) causes the first post after saving the settings to hang.

The beta bios with 1.1.9.0 fixed the PBO issue, but curve optimizer is still wacky - The board seems to ninja-save your settings in PBO and curve optimizer so even if you change the "Enabled" setting back to disabled, the bsods and instability remain because the settings are still being applied despite turning PBO or curve optimizer back off. (This was a bug on 3003 as well). I have to re-enable PBO and curve optimizer and hard-set every setting back to 0 or auto before disabling them again. (or a cmos reset).

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
You can check by booting into the UEFI - The main page lists the current AGESA version.

Perhaps you could try reverting to the previous bios version using flashback? My dark hero came with an older revision before 3003 (which should be equivalent to 3001 on your board) and it posted perfectly fine.

Albeit I haven't had any issues posting with ram, but all the kits I have are B-die.

The Prime doesn’t have flashback but I could flash with my Zen 2. Maybe I will give an earlier one that actually has 1.1.0.0 a try today.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
The Prime doesn’t have flashback but I could flash with my Zen 2. Maybe I will give an earlier one that actually has 1.1.0.0 a try today.

I don't think the current Asus UEFI allows downgrading unless you use flashback - you might be stuck. It's worth a shot, though.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
It should have been running and trying to boot at JEDEC 2133 MHz all along since I was starting from a fresh CMOS cleared state. It’s just basic Micron E-die that my 3700x can OC to 3600+ MHz with tightened timings. So I thought about buying some new ram at MC and trying that but feel like I shouldn’t have to, given that this stuff is quality.

Definitely, always started from a fresh cleared CMOS state. I just checked and the memory is not on the qvl for either Zen 2 or Zen 3 on either board — but if the IMC can’t run or even boot decent standard Micron E-die even at 2133 :/ think it’s probably going back unfortunately. Maybe I’ll exchange if they have one, otherwise just stick with what I have. Works great and quite fast.
It's not that the IMC can't run or boot the RAM. After all, there are inummerable people running Micron E-die with 5900X. How could that be if the 5900X IMC is the issue. Unless, of course, the chip passed QC but for some reason now fails for some freakish reason... but I first have to presume that the issue is not intrinsic to the 5900X, but rather a function of your total system.

The motherboard and BIOS are compatible with your 5900X, but the motherboard is not (technically) compatible with your RAM. So if the 5900X looks intact, my suspicion is that the IMC and 5900X are probably fine (after all, it passed QC and worked coming out of the factory), and it's just the unfortunate case that 5900X + your mobos + non-QVL RAM doesn't work, even if you got lucky and the 3700X + your mobos + non-QVL RAM does work.

I'd call Microcenter - mine has let me bring in "within 30 day" parts in order to help solve problems and prevent a return. They may be willing to let you try some QVL-compatible RAM sticks, or at least some different RAM sticks, to see if that solves the issue. Hopefully it does!

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
I've got the Prime Pro as well and Zen 3 worked on both 3001 (1.1.8.0) and 3201 (beta 1.1.9.0). Strange that you can't get your 5900X to even boot.

Edit - I'm using B-Die by the way.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
It's not that the IMC can't run or boot the RAM. After all, there are inummerable people running Micron E-die with 5900X. How could that be if the 5900X IMC is the issue. Unless, of course, the chip passed QC but for some reason now fails for some freakish reason... but I first have to presume that the issue is not intrinsic to the 5900X, but rather a function of your total system.

The motherboard and BIOS are compatible with your 5900X, but the motherboard is not (technically) compatible with your RAM. So if the 5900X looks intact, my suspicion is that the IMC and 5900X are probably fine (after all, it passed QC and worked coming out of the factory), and it's just the unfortunate case that 5900X + your mobos + non-QVL RAM doesn't work, even if you got lucky and the 3700X + your mobos + non-QVL RAM does work.

I'd call Microcenter - mine has let me bring in "within 30 day" parts in order to help solve problems and prevent a return. They may be willing to let you try some QVL-compatible RAM sticks, or at least some different RAM sticks, to see if that solves the issue. Hopefully it does!

I just checked the qvl along with my part numbers in more detail — turns out the part number for the individual 16GB sticks (rather than the kit part number that I was using to search before) is indeed on the list. And I tried both sticks individually in multiple slots with no luck, which should be officially verified compatible with my board even if the kit technically isn’t. I’m going to rule out my RAM .. and unfortunately even if it was the problem they are some of the only sticks that will fit under my top mounted radiator fans. Also got them a year ago for cheaper than any 32 GB kit I see at MC right now, even 2666 MHz ones, so not willing to replace them at the moment.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Turns out I was on 1.1.8.0 all along, and cannot flash back to Patch C as @XabanakFanatik suggested might be the case. Just reinstalled the 5900X, cleared CMOS, and again stuck on DRAM light after 3700X was flawless. It’s not even doing the usual multiple boot attempts before resetting DRAM settings thing that it does when RAM is unstable and doesn’t want to initialize ... just fans on, no resets, no indication that anything is happening. This is enough for me to declare it dead at this point. Known working board, known working and officially compatible RAM, known good GPU and PSU. Back to MC it is

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Turns out I was on 1.1.8.0 all along, and cannot flash back to Patch C as @XabanakFanatik suggested might be the case. Just reinstalled the 5900X, cleared CMOS, and again stuck on DRAM light after 3700X was flawless. It’s not even doing the usual multiple boot attempts before resetting DRAM settings thing that it does when RAM is unstable and doesn’t want to initialize ... just fans on, no resets, no indication that anything is happening. This is enough for me to declare it dead at this point. Known working board, known working and officially compatible RAM, known good GPU and PSU. Back to MC it is

Hope they have one on hand you can exchange for....

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Heh, highly doubt it. I have an RMA open with AMD which is my best chance of actually getting another, but think I’ll just call the 3700X fast enough instead ..

You don't have anybody local that could test it for you? What's your zip? Maybe would be willing to quick boot your 5900x to see if it's truly dead. I'm doing a build tonight, but the odds of being close are probably pretty low.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
You don't have anybody local that could test it for you? What's your zip? Maybe would be willing to quick boot your 5900x to see if it's truly dead. I'm doing a build tonight, but the odds of being close are probably pretty low.

Hey, I’m in the Boston area .. one friend nearby has a 3600 system but I believe is on X370 if I remember right. Let me know if you’re near, would be interesting to try it on a totally different setup.

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
Maybe instead of returning it since they’re so hard to get, buy a cheap or different ram kit?

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
I just checked the qvl along with my part numbers in more detail — turns out the part number for the individual 16GB sticks (rather than the kit part number that I was using to search before) is indeed on the list. And I tried both sticks individually in multiple slots with no luck, which should be officially verified compatible with my board even if the kit technically isn’t. I’m going to rule out my RAM .. and unfortunately even if it was the problem they are some of the only sticks that will fit under my top mounted radiator fans. Also got them a year ago for cheaper than any 32 GB kit I see at MC right now, even 2666 MHz ones, so not willing to replace them at the moment.
That... sucks.

I had some issues going from Ryzen 2200G with HyperX 2x4GB 3200CL16 sticks -- to Ryzen 3600+Radeon 5700 with G.skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16 sticks (Hynix something or other bin) where the system just cycled through so many times but wouldn't boot. I put in the old HyperX RAM sticks instead, and it booted fine. A few days later got the courage to try the G.skill sticks, and it worked. I'm now on a Ryzen 5600X with Radeon 5700 and B-die RAM with a different PSU and a different motherboard and haven't had a single hitch. Sometimes I wonder what's even going on...

But it sounds like you've changed so much else, at this point I'm inclined to agree with you that the more likely remaining item is the CPU itself. These things should just work... though part of the joy of the computer-building hobby is problem solving :)

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Hey, I’m in the Boston area .. one friend nearby has a 3600 system but I believe is on X370 if I remember right. Let me know if you’re near, would be interesting to try it on a totally different setup.

I'm in CA so I won't be of any help. Maybe somebody else will volunteer to give you a hand.