AMD Ryzen 5000 Builders Thread

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Last edited:

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
Ah, so the thaiphoon part number readout is incorrect then? Do you know if that's read from the stick or if its just a table maintained by thaiphoon?

It is read from SPD. Since timings are horrible to begin with, maybe G-SKILL did not bother to create different one for C-die ones. But it could still be B-Die

Only way to check is to remove heat spreader and hope that G.Skill did not remove Samsung markings.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
Ah, so the thaiphoon part number readout is incorrect then? Do you know if that's read from the stick or if its just a table maintained by thaiphoon?
If the DRAM part is incorrect the really loose timing would make a lot more sense.

Edit: Seems this kit is probably c-die?
I was just reading the same thread yesterday!

Sadly that is not B-Die, but junk die instead. I would not bother overclocking it at all.

Your kit listed as black F4-3200C16D-16GTZB yours is red.

The key property of lower end B-Die kits are equal CL-RCD-RP timings, and timings rather lowish like 3200C14 or 3200C15. But i'd strongly suggest looking up each and every in site above and/or https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/
Thanks @JoeRambo, that was my suspicion. Might just sell it to offset the purchase of some sweet spot RAM.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Thanks @JoeRambo, that was my suspicion. Might just sell it to offset the purchase of some sweet spot RAM.

If your on the hunt for true b-die look at the G.Skill offerings and look for the one's with the flat timings. They'll be something like 3200MHz 14-14-14-34, 3600MHz 16-16-16-36 for example. I think there are other branded b-die offerings
available.

I'd suggest buying for the minimum speed/timings you can live with instead of going for the huge overclock.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Quick question, so is it better to use 2 or 4 sticks of memory?

I have a 5950X that will be here on Thursday. I need 64GB of memory and have seen a lot of mention of b-die and such.

I found this:
Amazon.com: G.Skill Trident Z NEO Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4-3600 (PC4-28800) CL18-22-22-42 1.35V Dual Channel Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C18D-64GTZN: Electronics

But the timings are high at CL18.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which RAM to use and if (4) 2x16gb sticks will work, or is it best to use 2x32gb?

I'd like to order this today to try and get it here by Thursday. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012

I have a 5950X that will be here on Thursday. I need 64GB of memory and have seen a lot of mention of b-die and such.

I found this:
Amazon.com: G.Skill Trident Z NEO Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4-3600 (PC4-28800) CL18-22-22-42 1.35V Dual Channel Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C18D-64GTZN: Electronics

But the timings are high at CL18.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which RAM to use and if (4) 2x16gb sticks will work, or is it best to use 2x32gb?

I'd like to order this today to try and get it here by Thursday. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The Trident-Z Neo series is typically recommended for Zen CPUs. However, memory makers have often used different memory ICs under the same series branding, especially between capacities. I don't think those are Samsung b-die (I think b-die only come in max 8GB per stick) and are probably E-die, but I'm not the best reference for which sticks are actually B-die. In terms of how many sticks, it's more about how many ranks (you want a total of 4+ rank). You want either 4 single rank sticks or 2/4 dual rank sticks. Since you are looking at 64 GB total, it will be 4+ rank either way. Personally I would go 2x32 GB.

Reactions: LikeLinus

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
The Trident-Z Neo series is typically recommended for Zen CPUs. However, memory makers have often used different memory ICs under the same series branding, especially between capacities. I don't think those are Samsung b-die (I think b-die only come in max 8GB per stick) and are probably E-die, but I'm not the best reference for which sticks are actually B-die. In terms of how many sticks, it's more about how many ranks (you want a total of 4+ rank). You want either 4 single rank sticks or 2/4 dual rank sticks. Since you are looking at 64 GB total, it will be 4+ rank either way. Personally I would go 2x32 GB.

Ah, OK, thanks for the suggestion. Let me see if I can find some better 2x32 sticks. Let me know if anyone else has suggestions.

So are you saying I would be OK if I had (4) Single rank 16GB sticks and not experience the performance hit?

Last edited:

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Ah, OK, thanks for the suggestion. Let me see if I can find some better 2x32 sticks. Let me know if anyone else has suggestions.

So are you saying I would be OK if I had (4) Single rank 16GB sticks and not experience the performance hit?

4 single rank sticks is good. I'm not sure what the preferred memory ICs are when you get to high capacities, I think E-die are good but, again, not a RAM expert.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

2 for ease of setup and overclocking.

You could get b-die in 2 32GB kits, but it's really pricey.
(I think b-die only come in max 8GB per stick)

G.Skill has a dual channel b-die kit in 2x16GB's

I think it's this one. Currently on sale, but it'll get pricey going for 64GB's

4 sticks would run in dual rank mode. The only penalty you might encounter is having to enable Gear Down Mode or switching to CR2 for stability with 4 sticks. Maybe 1-2ns latency hit.

Reactions: LikeLinus

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
2 for ease of setup and overclocking.

You could get b-die in 2 32GB kits, but it's really pricey.

G.Skill has a dual channel b-die kit in 2x16GB's

I think it's this one. Currently on sale, but it'll get pricey going for 64GB's

4 sticks would run in dual rank mode. The only penalty you might encounter is having to enable Gear Down Mode or switching to CR2 for stability with 4 sticks. Maybe 1-2ns latency hit.

THANK YOU! I'm not too worried about the price since I use this for video production. More RAM is better since After Effects loves to eat RAM.

Oddly enough, the same model number is on Amazon, but running at 3600MHz CL16-19-19-39 and there are complaints that it's not b-die. I'll just get the Newegg RAM and return it if it isn't as advertised.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
I've got 3950x with 2 kits of those, running nicely 24/7 3600C14 @1.44V. Need to take care of RAM cooling.

Could be a choice as well. It is dual rank mem, so 64GB will end up with four dual rank sticks. Lots of options around $200 per kit with B-DIE.

Space Tyrant

Feb 14, 2017
I built my 5800X box using the better of my two Flare X 3200 B-Die kits. This kit won't clock very high and fails/crashes in some tests at DDR 3333. I'm currently limited by my cooling solution as well ('enhanced' Wraith Spire). I'll probably put my Dark Rock 4 cooler on it when my DDR4-4000 kit arrives in a few days. I'm getting what appear to be good benchmarks, considering that I'm running 8c/8t atm.

Meanwhile, I've got some anomalies. I've got PPT set to 45 watts and PBO disabled. I get lower performance with higher power settings and/or with PBO enabled.

Does anyone have any idea why that would be? My MB is an Asrock B550M Pro 4 and I'm using the Dec 10, 2020 BIOS. The GB4 result in my sig is with the 45 watt PPT and PBO disabled setup.

Space Tyrant

Feb 14, 2017
@Space Tyrant

To clarify, are you saying that enabling PBO causes higher power consumption and lower performance on your 5800X?
I get better performance with PBO disabled than enabled. I also get better performance with PPT set to 45 watts, although CPU power consumption doesn't seem to be limited to anywhere near 45 watts. I suspect that I may have some conflicting settings or a problem with my MB or the current BIOS.

Also, I don't experience very high temps -- except in ycruncher, and to a lesser extent, GB5 -- so I don't think it's related to heat. GB4 doesn't cause it to hit very high temps at all, but this weird behavior applies in GB4 as well.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
My spare parts 3600x build is complete now. It wasn't an easy transplant, but I managed to get her squared away.

The XFX Merc 6800 is huge! Very tight fit, but it looks doable in the end. Getting it back out would be the real challenge.

6800_220T.jpg

6800_220T_2.jpg

I still have to do some tweaking and check the thermals, but I think the 140mm fan feeding the gpu fresh air
should work out fine in the end.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
My spare parts 3600x build is complete now. It wasn't an easy transplant, but I managed to get her squared away.

The XFX Merc 6800 is huge! Very tight fit, but it looks doable in the end. Getting it back out would be the real challenge.

View attachment 36254

View attachment 36255

I still have to do some tweaking and check the thermals, but I think the 140mm fan feeding the gpu fresh air
should work out fine in the end.

What is that case? Like a 175R or something? That video card fitment!

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
What is that case? Like a 175R or something? That video card fitment!

It's the Corsair iCUE 220T. Very compact for a ATX case. It's a challenging case to work with so one has to plan ahead with the build.

Maybe this is the way to go. Any suggestions? I'm really open to any suggestions, just don't want to pick something that would affect performance or be unstable.

If money was is no object and I wanted 64GB's of b-die I would seek out the G.Skill F4-3600C16D-32GTZN kits. It would be a good compromise of bandwidth and latency at stock. G.Skill has it's own app to alter the rgb or turn it off. App loads quickly and you can kill or change the rgb and close the app and settings stick....Until you reboot.

Microcenter carries the above if your close to one and they have it in stock. I think they'd even match Neweggs sale price if you ask.

Last edited:

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
If money was is no object and I wanted 64GB's of b-die I would seek out the G.Skill F4-3600C16D-32GTZN kits. It would be a good compromise of bandwidth and latency at stock. G.Skill has it's own app to alter the rgb or turn it off. App loads quickly and you can kill or change the rgb and close the app and settings stick....Until you reboot.
Unfortunately, there isn't a MC in our state. I ended up purchasing two kits of G.Skill F4-3600C16D-32GTZN from Newegg. Won't be here till the 29th, but I'd rather have something that performs well and is stable. Really appreciate all your help in selecting the memory.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Unfortunately, there isn't a MC in our state. I ended up purchasing two kits of G.Skill F4-3600C16D-32GTZN from Newegg. Won't be here till the 29th, but I'd rather have something that performs well and is stable. Really appreciate all your help in selecting the memory.

Shipping time sucks, but the price is really good for b-die. You should have good luck with it.

Neweggs shipping is kind of slow these days. I'm 45 miles away from them and it took 4-5 days to get my memory kits. It used to be free overnight shipping most of the time when it shipped from CA.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
I would like to do a new build, mostly to satisfy the geek new shiny side of me. I really would. But this is the last year of AM4, and the prices are crazy especially for graphics cards. So I am torn. What I have now works just fine, though a better graphics card would be nice. Or do I hold out for AM5 goodness?

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I would like to do a new build, mostly to satisfy the geek new shiny side of me. I really would. But this is the last year of AM4, and the prices are crazy especially for graphics cards. So I am torn. What I have now works just fine, though a better graphics card would be nice. Or do I hold out for AM5 goodness?

AM5 is looking, it seems to me, to be a 2022 sorta thing. That seems to be along time. I was going to hold out for AM5 too but just didn't because COVID gave me FOMO and YOLO vibes and I am really pleased that I updated.

Reactions: Elfear

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
It's the Corsair iCUE 220T. Very compact for a ATX case. It's a challenging case to work with so one has to plan ahead with the build.

Microcenter carries the above if your close to one and they have it in stock. I think they'd even match Neweggs sale price if you ask.
MicroCenter (at least the one near me) has the F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC kits.

Is that the same thing? My inclination after reviewing is to give G.skill a re-try and ensure I get B-die, but the added C to the part name gives me fear.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I get better performance with PBO disabled than enabled. I also get better performance with PPT set to 45 watts, although CPU power consumption doesn't seem to be limited to anywhere near 45 watts. I suspect that I may have some conflicting settings or a problem with my MB or the current BIOS.

Also, I don't experience very high temps -- except in ycruncher, and to a lesser extent, GB5 -- so I don't think it's related to heat. GB4 doesn't cause it to hit very high temps at all, but this weird behavior applies in GB4 as well.

I had problems with PBO on my 3900x + Gigabyte Aorus Master: lower MT performance overall, and barely higher ST performance. Different CPU, different board, similar issues. Some of the weird techniques that I used to massage extra MT performance out of my chip might work for you as well, assuming the current UEFI revision you have supports undervolting. Have you played with LLC settings yet?

Space Tyrant

Feb 14, 2017
I had problems with PBO on my 3900x + Gigabyte Aorus Master: lower MT performance overall, and barely higher ST performance. Different CPU, different board, similar issues. Some of the weird techniques that I used to massage extra MT performance out of my chip might work for you as well, assuming the current UEFI revision you have supports undervolting. Have you played with LLC settings yet?
Interesting. I've been pretty careful with my settings and I'm pretty sure I didn't just screw something up to cause the PBO/PPT anomalies. As a crosscheck, I reset the BIOS and only re-added my XMP memory config and encountered the same problems.

I believe I do have LLC and over/undervolting offsets available on this board. I haven't played with either in the past but, now that I have them I surely will. :) I have only done static pstate undervolting on past ryzens.

I'm not much concerned with hi-thread count MT performance; this will probably be my 4th machine with SMT semi-permanently disabled. Only when I find myself running something that makes good use of SMT do I use it.