Question AMD Ryzen 5000 - AVAILABILITY

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
Has AMD commented about availability of the new 5000 series processors? Should it be better than the last time?

Here in Czechia at launch only 1 retailer had them in stock, 5950X and 5900X went quickly, 5800X and 5600X held a little bit longer but in about half an hour all were gone. None to be seen anywhere now.

Reactions: nikomsuman

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Sorry, but I think a lot of people also know that Amazon's top list are NOT according to sales. Do you believe over the past week that the 5600x has outsold any other CPU that Amazon sales? There have been many post that Amazon received very limited or almost no skus. Does that raise a flag and make you realize that Amazon may use that to drive traffic or sales of other items? Again, marketing.

"The 5000 series inventory was always going to sell out quickly on launch day"

Right, but AMD is also saying they are going to fix everything in a couple of weeks? They don't even produce their own product. But you think they will all the sudden fix all supply issues in the next couple of weeks, yet they had months to actually have a stock pile of CPUs and their huge vendors in the EU sold out a "thousands".?

So AMD was not "if anyone has been paying attention to the market this year."???

Sounds like you are twisting every point to make AMD look good. They knew they weren't supposed to make as many. They can fix it in 2-3 weeks? Everyone else was paying attention to the market, except AMD? They always expected it to sell out on launch day in an hour?

What you are telling us is that a company who doesn't actually manufacture their own product, has the inability to determine actual demand and they totally expected to sell out of everything in an hour and to leave their customers in a lurch? Not to mention they raise prices and their vendors and ebay have done so even higher than MSRP.

The way it works is that AMD will get products in batches. There's a high probability that they air mailed a limited amount of stock to have it ready for launch day and that a much larger shipment will arrive a few weeks later by boat. I don't think anyone said they'll have infinite supply in a couple of weeks, just that they'll have another shipment to retailers that is expected to be significant. It will probably sell out as well, hopefully not quite as fast. Then after a short time, another shipment, and on and on until supply exceeds demand. AMD knew it would sell out quickly and they never promised it wouldn't.

AMD had 2 choices, build up a decent inventory to give some people a chance to buy it and then ship new supply as quickly as possible, or wait and sit on inventory for months and months until they built up enough supply to meet total demand and they would probably miss the holiday season which means missing the biggest sales season of the year, getting closer to the launch of a competitor's new product, and having to pay for inventory storage for months of product that is otherwise ready to sell. Who in their right mind would choose option 2? No one handles supply chain management like that, not anymore, including Intel, Apple, Nvidia, etc.

This is what I said about the Ampere launch as well. On launch day everything sold out crazy fast, most people never even saw the 3080 come in stock despite constantly refreshing right at launch time. The demand was crazy so it was impossible to know what the supply was like. I had a suspicion the supply was not good just based upon some rumors and just how bad the launch day was. I said the same thing then, it was always going to sell out fast on launch day, the true test of supply will be in the next weeks and months. Well, we're here, 2 months later and still very little improvement in supply. Couple that with retailers saying their supply was very limited and they did not know when more supply was coming. This paints a pretty good picture of very bad supply for the Ampere cards.

For AMD we have 1 German retailer saying they had thousands of units and availability for 2 hours. We have reports of retail stores having stock for hours. Retailers are saying they expect another shipment within a few weeks. Amazon has the 5600x as the #1 best seller which yes, doesn't mean it's #1 in absolute sales ever since launch, but the top seller list is based on an algorithm that uses current and past sales to determine ranking which means there was enough stock, at least in a short window, to be the best seller for that window. The fact that it's still #1 after 5 days says a lot about how much Amazon had initially. All the signs are pointing to not a paper launch. That doesn't mean they had millions of units, but enough to say they didn't paper launch the products. In the next few weeks and months we'll find out if they were really ready to launch these SKUs yet or not.

Last edited:

charlesg

Apr 28, 2017
The 5950x just showed up briefly on Amazon (US) for pre-order, Available December 6th. (Order now!) Try as I might, it wouldn't get in my cart, and now it's back to "Currently unavailable".

Wow, December 6th, almost a full month.

EDIT: Since I currently have a B450 board, January BIOS updates may be when I could actually get a proc anyhow!

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I keep seeing posts about random drops on Amazon or other places at the oddest hours. Even with COVID allowing me to work from home and watch sites a little more, I don't see how any average person can get one. I was lucky with EVGA getting a 3090 and 3080, but that was due to being a prior customer and how they structured their sales. I hope that things open up by January, but it's painful paying full price for a product that you miss the first few months of use due to limited supply.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
5000 series availability obviously isn't where people would like it, but this doesn't have the same feeling as the Ampere launch or an actual paper launch where it's listed as launched with no availability at all. I showed up at my local brick and mortar 10 minutes after they opened, and after waiting 5 minutes to get into the store due to Covid restrictions grabbed a 5800X without issue. There's still one on the shelf there apparently.

Hopefully the stock situation improves before Christmas especially on the 5900X/5950X which seem to be in tighter supply.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
One week later, the brave most customer resistant 5800Xs are still in stock at one retailer, otherwise nothing available anywhere.

I expected some new stock in one week, guess I was wrong.

samboy

Aug 17, 2002
My local Microcenter indicated that they expected more stock between Nov 15th and December........ Nothing surprising. At least reassuring that retailers will be getting stock in waves as AMD catches up with the demand.

If everyone resists supporting the scalpers; then they will be left holding processors they can't sell & will be less likely to scalp in the future. If people support them, allowing them to make money, then we are all signing up for this scalp on release as an ongoing concern. Please do not support them.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
What about this conspiracy theory: AMD created this scarcity problem in order to sell some 5800X, which otherwise when on the shelf beside 5900X would nobody buy.

I ordered one too, but I am still resisting picking it up.

Extremely doubtful. AMD would just adjust the 5800x price down a little if needed rather than hold stock back and not make more money.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
My local Microcenter indicated that they expected more stock between Nov 15th and December........ Nothing surprising. At least reassuring that retailers will be getting stock in waves as AMD catches up with the demand.

If everyone resists supporting the scalpers; then they will be left holding processors they can't sell & will be less likely to scalp in the future. If people support them, allowing them to make money, then we are all signing up for this scalp on release as an ongoing concern. Please do not support them.

Viewing the MB inventory at my not so local Microcenter I've come to the conclusion that most were either purchased as upgrades or by scalpers. When Zen 2 launched you would have been lucky to even get a MB. The 5600x and 5800x's availability did manage to survive until the next day at least.

mmaenpaa

Aug 4, 2009
Some of the parts are in stock here in NZ besides the 12 + 16 core parts which are on back order arriving 28/11.
We are expecting stock on our distributors (Finland/Sweden) at the end of this month. Jimm's (FI) has stock on 5600X

Reactions: lightmanek

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
The best desktop CPU ever.

The highest demand for PC parts in recent memory.

You do the math. There will be plenty available with bundle discounts or promotional pricing within a few months of launch just like each previous Zen launch before it. I'm in no rush.

LOL, that's a bit of a reach.

But it's funny you think we should "do the math". That's EXACTLY what AMD should have been doing on supply/demand issues. Obviously they didn't thought and we shall see if we have more in early Dec in more significant numbers. Otherwise, it's a paper launch.
'
Paper Launch = "There should be more averrable if you buy a bundle at inflated prices in "a few months". Or we can get "promotional pricing"?? You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. Saying it needs to be bundled, or we can get "promotional pricing" at the same time? Promo pricing is generally lower than MSRP and it's to entice customers to buy their product.

You may not be in a rush, but it's fairly easy to see this, maybe not a 100% paper launch, is not a full launch.

Oddly enough, Sony is having serious issues with supplies. Those CPUs are also manufactured by TSCM. There was a bloomberg article that Sony had to cut it's PS4 product in half due to supply issues with the CPU. Could this be an all around issue with TSCM not being to manufacture CPUS in mass? Obviously, long term, it's something they can ramp up and fix, but it's odd that both products simply have no suppy. It's nice to say "it'll be available in a month". but that gives them time to produce more and trickle in to the supply chain.

Food for thought.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004

But it's funny you think we should "do the math". That's EXACTLY what AMD should have been doing on supply/demand issues. Obviously they didn't thought and we shall see if we have more in early Dec in more significant numbers. Otherwise, it's a paper launch.
'
Paper Launch = "There should be more averrable if you buy a bundle at inflated prices in "a few months". Or we can get "promotional pricing"?? You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. Saying it needs to be bundled, or we can get "promotional pricing" at the same time? Promo pricing is generally lower than MSRP and it's to entice customers to buy their product.

You may not be in a rush, but it's fairly easy to see this, maybe not a 100% paper launch, is not a full launch.

Oddly enough, Sony is having serious issues with supplies. Those CPUs are also manufactured by TSCM. There was a bloomberg article that Sony had to cut it's PS4 product in half due to supply issues with the CPU. Could this be an all around issue with TSCM not being to manufacture CPUS in mass? Obviously, long term, it's something they can ramp up and fix, but it's odd that both products simply have no suppy. It's nice to say "it'll be available in a month". but that gives them time to produce more and trickle in to the supply chain.

Food for thought.

AMD is between a rock and a hard place with the launch. Either they launched when they did with enough stock to last about 1-2hrs or they continued to stockpile and launched in Dec or Jan. Either way someone will rant about there being too little stock or they will rant about why AMD was so late with their launch. Can't please everyone.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
AMD is between a rock and a hard place with the launch. Either they launched when they did with enough stock to last about 1-2hrs or they continued to stockpile and launched in Dec or Jan. Either way someone will rant about there being too little stock or they will rant about why AMD was so late with their launch. Can't please everyone.

That makes no sense. They have marketing people saying "it won't be a paper launch, I'll bet the $10". When, in effect, your company has already decided 2 months earlier to not manufacture enough?

AMD built this up to be the best CPU on the market, but they knowing decided not to manufacture enough? Who says they had to wait until Dec or Jan? Other uses here are reporting that AMD will launch a much larger supply the first week of Dec. So if they can turn it around so fast and produce in large numbers, i mean if TSMC can, then they wouldn't have to delay the launch.

Sort of like a bully saying "I'm going to kick your butt after school!" then he doesn't show because he says "you're a waste of my time".

You can;'t please everyone. But when you can make claims of 19% improved performance. Winning the gaming crown and having the best CPU on the market. Do you REALLY sit on that and second guess yourself?? That's an easy out excuse.

So the real tell will be if it takes them a few months to produce more.

Last edited:

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
Viewing the MB inventory at my not so local Microcenter I've come to the conclusion that most were either purchased as upgrades or by scalpers. When Zen 2 launched you would have been lucky to even get a MB. The 5600x and 5800x's availability did manage to survive until the next day at least.

You are right! I forgot about the board situation when Zen 2 launched.
Just keep hitting refresh I guess.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012

'

Food for thought.

The PS5 sold more in 12 hours than the PS4 sold in 12 weeks.

Demand for home electronics is insane and practically insatiable right now. Waiting for supply to meet demand for these products would be incredibly foolish.

Edit: Also, Sony said that Bloomberg article about them cutting production was flat out false.

Last edited:

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
That makes no sense. They have marketing people saying "it won't be a paper launch, I'll bet the $10". When, in effect, your company has already decided 2 months earlier to not manufacture enough?

AMD built this up to be the best CPU on the market, but they knowing decided not to manufacture enough? Who says they had to wait until Dec or Jan? Other uses here are reporting that AMD will launch a much larger supply the first week of Dec. So if they can turn it around so fast and produce in large numbers, i mean TSMC can, then they wouldn't have to delay the launch.

Sort of like a bully saying "I'm going to kick your butt after school!" then he doesn't show because he says "you're a waste of my time".

You can;'t please everyone. But when you can make claims of 19% improved performance. Winning the gaming crown and having the best CPU on the market. Do you REALLY sit on that and second guess yourself?? That's an easy out excuse.

So the real tell will be if it takes them a few months to produce more.

If AMD had access to an infinite supply of 7nm wafers, you'd have a point but they don't. There are multiple products launching near the same time all on 7nm. There was no way AMD was going to have a constantly in stock supply of products unless they waited until 2021 to launch Zen 3, PS5, Xbox Series X, and Radeon 6000 series. It sucks because I'm in the market for two of those products but I understand AMD's constraints.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
The PS5 sold more in 12 hours than the PS4 sold in 12 weeks.

Demand for home electronics is insane and practically insatiable right now. Waiting for supply to meet demand for these products would be incredibly foolish.

Thank you for posting an article from Nov. 1st with a comment from Sony saying "We think.....".

No one said "Waiting for supply to meet demand for these products would be incredibly foolish.". This pandemic has been going on since MARCH. But Sony predicted this and has said so. The two don't correlate.Sony increased orders in July, but now you claim they would be dumb to do so?

"According to the report, Sony began mass production of PS5 in June and expects to assemble five million units by the end of September".

The unit didn't start production until June. WELL after the pandenic.

"Sony Corp. has cut its estimated PlayStation 5 production for this fiscal year by 4 million units, down to around 11 million, following production issues with its custom-designed system-on-chip for the new console, according to people familiar with the matter."

"The Tokyo-based electronics giant in July boosted orders with suppliers in anticipation of heightened demand for gaming in the holiday season and beyond, as people spend more time at home due to the coronavirus. But the company has come up against manufacturing issues, such as production yields as low as 50% for its SOC, which have cut into its ability to produce as many consoles as it wishes, said the people, who asked to remain anonymous because the deliberations aren’t public. Yields have been gradually improving but have yet to reach a stable level, they added."

Now, Sony denies this. But almost no one can get a PS5. So they were forecast to have 4 million this year and 11 million by the end of the fiscal year. So the 4 million shrank to 2 million due to production issues.

I can make random perditions and be like Sony, if I wanted to.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
If AMD had access to an infinite supply of 7nm wafers, you'd have a point but they don't.

I never said I did. I was stating there may be a correlation between the PS5 and AMD semi paper launch. I'm agreeing with you. AMD doesn't actually produce its product.

Read what I wrote: "So if they can turn it around so fast and produce in large numbers, i mean if TSMC can, then they wouldn't have to delay the launch."

Production is the issue here. Both products were so hyped up and I think production isn't able to keep up with the demand they created.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
XBX too of course.

The only thing wrong is that it isn't them who created this demand. They might have struggled somewhat anyway, but 2020 has been very strange. To cater for the demand now seen properly they'd have had to predict it years ago.

Reactions: prtskg

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
It isn't like TSMC can suddenly build a new 7nm fab or anything! Years of effort and $$$$$$$.

The amount of spare silicon capacity to absorb this sort of broad spectrum surge in demand is intrinsically quite limited.

You're getting there. Some of you are now realizing the production issues and shortage of products is not due to true "demand", it's do to being on a much smaller manufacturing level and having a 3rd party outsource it. I think this is the problem that both AMD and Sony have hit a wall at. It's beyond their control.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
XBX too of course.

The only thing wrong is that it isn't them who created this demand. They might have struggled somewhat anyway, but 2020 has been very strange. To cater for the demand now seen properly they'd have had to predict it years ago.

You don't think it's AMD creating demand by producing markeing slides saying they will dominate Intel in gaming, have 19% increased performance. All the paid articles and ads? They also have a trend over the past several years that shows them demand. So if you have such a tremendous product, are you saying they don't help create that demand and hype?

That's just horrible forecasting then.

I mean it's amazing how you can't forecast something, but then you go on sites and say

I mean, let's be honest, are you confident in your product? Their supply seems to be minuscule for the 5000 CPU. But now all the sudden they say this is short lived and they will have chips in a couple of weeks?

AMD needs to get their stuff together and the next 4 weeks will be very telling. Can they produce these chips as quick as they say? If so, it's not a manufacturing issue, it's a lack of forecasting and knowing what to produce. If the lack of chips goes in to 2021, it's a manufacturing issue. Will be interesting to see.