AMD Ryzen 5 2400G and Ryzen 3 2200G APUs performance unveiled

Page 78 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Full review at Hardware.fr :

https://www.hardware.fr/articles/973-1/amd-ryzen-5-2400g-ryzen-3-2200g-apu-retour.html

CPU overclocking :

https://www.hardware.fr/articles/973-4/overclocking-cpu.html

Prime95 avec des FFT "in-place" de 256K

IMG0055098.png

IMG0055099.png

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012
Could also be that such a cooler won't fit in a small case.

Well, in that situation you can buy Artic Alpine 64 Plus. This 13$ TopDown cooler has significantly larger aluminium cooling surface vs Wraith Stealth.

Wraith Stealth is pretty small, compared to his significantly biger brother Wraith Spire model.:cool:

https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/alpine-64-plus.html

https://www.kitguru.net/components/cooling/henry-butt/arctic-cooling-alpine-64-plus-cooler-review/5/

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Alpine-64-Plus-Anti-Vibration/dp/B007BVCBOE

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Well, in that situation you can buy Artic Alpine 64 Plus. This 13$ TopDown cooler has significantly larger aluminium cooling surface vs Wraith Stealth.

Wraith Stealth is pretty small, compared to his significantly biger brother Wraith Spire model.:cool:

https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/alpine-64-plus.html

https://www.kitguru.net/components/cooling/henry-butt/arctic-cooling-alpine-64-plus-cooler-review/5/

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Alpine-64-Plus-Anti-Vibration/dp/B007BVCBOE
I don't like that cooler at all. I have one and we don't get along.
But of course there are other coolers that will work.

epsilon84

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2010
As expected, stock Wraith Stealth CPU cooler is not good enough for CPU+iGPU overclocking on R3 2200G.

But again no problem, we can buy good CPU cooler for only 20$ and problem is solved.Currently Cooler Master Hyper RR-T4-18PK-R1 price is roughly 20$.:cool:

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Contact-Heatpipes-Support/dp/B00BSKY1M4

It's enough for a moderate overclock, you'll gain a bit more headroom with a better HSF.

Since the stock HSF isn't enough to max out both the CPU and GPU, I would prioritise overclocking the GPU rather than CPU on a 2200G - 3.5GHz to 4GHz wont make much difference when you are GPU (or iGPU) limited but overclocking the iGPU from 1.1GHz to 1.5 or 1.6GHz would make a muchm more noticeable difference for gaming.

neblogai

Oct 29, 2017
It's enough for a moderate overclock, you'll gain a bit more headroom with a better HSF.

Since the stock HSF isn't enough to max out both the CPU and GPU, I would prioritise overclocking the GPU rather than CPU on a 2200G - 3.5GHz to 4GHz wont make much difference when you are GPU (or iGPU) limited but overclocking the iGPU from 1.1GHz to 1.5 or 1.6GHz would make a muchm more noticeable difference for gaming.

I completely agree- changing CPU cooler is low priority on a budget system- fast RAM or Freesync/VA/IPS would be a better €20 investment. Tests show Precision Boost2 to clock fastest cores to 3675-3700MHz already, which is close enough to maximum overclock. Of course, if budget is not an issue, or if one has a better cooler- then CPU can also be overclocked- but that would probably help only in few titles like Battlefield1 multiplayer.

Last edited:
Reactions: prtskg

Magic Hate Ball

Feb 2, 2017
There are different voltages you can change in the bios. Maybe you just tried the wrong one. Some bioses have confusing terminology. I know Gigabyte has some quirks too like having certain settings in more than one area.
Anyway, it seems that the NB/SOC voltage is the one you need to change to help with IGP overclocking. There is a pic of an MSI bios and what to change here: https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3-2200g-vega-8-overclocked-1600mhz-performance/

Yeah, after some more testing it seems my RAM doesn't like playing on either this CPU or mobo. Two sets of 3200CL14 and 3200CL16 Samsung B-die won't stay stable it seems at any speed above 2133mhz. If I leave it at 2133 I can get my iGPU up to 1500mhz with 1.3v no problem it seems.

These are the same sets of RAM that worked perfectly with two different 1800X's and a 1600 on a X370 Taichi board.

I hope future BIOS revisions help out on my RAM stability, but if not, at least this is a temp setup that'll be moving into my HTPC (when I can get my hands on an ITX X470 board and a 6 core Zen+ CPU).

IRobot23

Jul 3, 2017
As expected, stock Wraith Stealth CPU cooler is not good enough for CPU+iGPU overclocking on R3 2200G.

But again no problem, we can buy good CPU cooler for only 20$ and problem is solved.Currently Cooler Master Hyper RR-T4-18PK-R1 price is roughly 20$.:cool:

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Contact-Heatpipes-Support/dp/B00BSKY1M4

You don't need CPU overclock.
You need:
1. DDR4 at 3200MHz+ at decent timings
2. You need iGPU at 1500MHz

Pushing maximum out of it is nonsense.

Reactions: ZGR and moinmoin

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Ok, i spended most of the saturday with a 2200G, 2400G, a Gigabyte A320M-HD2, and 2x4GB DDR4-3200 Corsair.

I needed to test both APU, and 2400 vs 3200 performance jump, 2200G vs 2400G performance jump, and record gaming videos that are going to be used as publicity. I picked up that Gigabyte A320 because it said in the bios upgraded it added support for RR IGP overcloking, i took a close look, it has CPU overclock, IGP overclock, IGP voltage and even Ryzen zen states setup, NOTHING WORKS, i expected the cpu oc not to work, but at least i hoped for IGP oc, as it stated it the bios updates as supported.

This is Giga A320 the bios:

LAQjIEk.jpg

This shows as 3800mhz on the 2200G because i changed the multiplier to 38 and it worked, but when i go to windows it is still at stock.

eBItF4p.jpg

muQmNbT.jpg

SSIrfJM.jpg

eZoO5dg.jpg

As i said, nothing works, it is on the bios but it does not work at all. Its an A320 after all.
For anyone wondering, AMD Ryzen Master does not work on A320 either, it does not apply the changes, and Ryzen Master does in fact support IGP overclock and overvolt, so its an option for anyone with an B350 board with no IGP oc option, if there is one around.

The drivers are awfull, those are not adrenalin drivers looks to be a older branch or something with Vega support, no relive, no wattman, the VCE encoder DOES NOT WORK AT ALL with alternative apps, i had to do software recording. I also installed relive manually, but it does not work, because the encoder itselft is not working.

For gaming, there is a problem, that i havent read in any review, and i know of another person that is having the same problem, i think Dota did not have this issue, ACO and Wolfenstein are the ones that suffer a lot from this, lets say, you can have a solid 30-40 fps avg then suddenly everything slows down to a crawl for a second or two, then returns to normal, for no aparent reason, its not like something intensive has just happen, it could be a very small thing, i havent have enoght time to figure out this issue, but i know it happens A LOT more on the 2400G than in the 2200G, i can explain this in one of two ways:
A- Driver issue, what would not suprise me at all considering driver seems to be something they put up in a hurry.
B- Some kind of "memory gore" is going on, maybe for a instant there is a few cpu threats and the IGP needing to access the memory all at the same time and bandwidth is just no enoght not everything.
This happens on all APIs i tested, DX9(CS:GO), Vulkan (Wolfenstein), DX11 (ACO/W3), DX12.
This does not happens on BF1 and Dota 2.

The 2200G can maintain the 1100mhz GPU clock and a solid 3500 and some times 3600 cpu clock while gaming, the 2400G can not maintain the 1240mhz gpu clock at stock, it looks to me the CPU has higher clock priority, this is really a bad thing to do.

Warning: Do not, i repeat, do NOT use Auto UMA or a very small amount like 64MB UMA if you have 8GB of ram, this ends BADLY for some games, there is a clear higher pagefile use if you do this, and some games runs very, very bad because of it. What i think is happening is you you let it in Auto or set to 64MB of vram, the games belive they have +7GB of ram AND 2GB of vram avalible, and windows has to sort this mess out, what ends badly, if you have 8GB of ram use 2GB of UMA.

Gaming performance in a nutshell, for the 2200G stock, 2400 vs 3200 is almost the same thing, yes the 3200 is better, but the diference is very small, and it does not seems like you gain much from it. You can still play the same games at the same level of detail/resolution.

As for the 2200G to 2400G performance jump, is far greater than i ever expected in some cases. It opens the chance to play at better details or better resolution, still 1080P is a lot even for the 2400G.

2200G:
-BF1 1080P @LoW 40fps
-Witcher 3 720p @med 30-40fps
-ACO 720p @very low 30-35fps

2400G:
-BF1 1080p @med 30-40fps
-Witcher 3 1080p @LoW 30 fps
-Witcher 3 720p @High 40 fps (in fact it can run at ultra at about 30-35, but i dont think it can maintain it)
-ACO 1080p @very low 25-30fps
-ACO 720p @normal 30 fps (better fps that 1080p on very low)

As for single channel, only for esport games, performance of the 2200G with single channel seems to be on pair with a A8-9600 with dual channel. so you can still play some AAA games at 720P at minimum, like BF1.

The final thing is, you can only use temporal AA filters, FXAA or the one Bethesda uses, using MSAA is out of the question, in some cases it cuts the fps by half, this is something to keep in mind, because some games looks really bad on 720P whiout AA, and even on 1080p.

Reactions: AtenRa

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
As i said, nothing works, it is on the bios but it does not work at all. Its an A320 after all.
I picked up that Gigabyte A320 because it said in the bios upgraded it added support for RR IGP overcloking, i took a close look, it has CPU overclock, IGP overclock, IGP voltage and even Ryzen zen states setup, NOTHING WORKS, i expected the cpu oc not to work, but at least i hoped for IGP oc, as it stated it the bios updates as supported.
It's an A320 chipset, it doesn't support overclocking. Full stop. (It does support higher-speed RAM, as I understand it, though.)

Edit: Oh, you were expecting at least an IGP overclock to be allowed. Understandable. Thanks for the data-point, A320 chipset not recommended for Raven Ridge, except for non-overclocked business boxes.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
It's an A320 chipset, it doesn't support overclocking. Full stop. (It does support higher-speed RAM, as I understand it, though.)

Edit: Oh, you were expecting at least an IGP overclock to be allowed. Understandable. Thanks for the data-point, A320 chipset not recommended for Raven Ridge, except for non-overclocked business boxes.

Mostly because of this

1. Update AGESA 1.0.0.0a for new upcoming processors
  2. Supports GPU overclockable on Raven Ridge processors

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-A320M-HD2-rev-10#support-dl

neblogai

Oct 29, 2017
For gaming, there is a problem, that i havent read in any review, and i know of another person that is having the same problem, i think Dota did not have this issue, ACO and Wolfenstein are the ones that suffer a lot from this, lets say, you can have a solid 30-40 fps avg then suddenly everything slows down to a crawl for a second or two, then returns to normal, for no aparent reason

There is some issue with stock processors downlocking in certain games- Techdeals mentions SWTOR, XCOM2 and some other games suffering from it. You have to set the clock speeds manually to their stock (or OC) settings on B350/X370 for these games to run properly. On A320- if manual clocks are not possible- can only be fixed by AMD.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Not sure if:
1) Gigabyte incompetence
2) Config issues with your hardware
or
3) Bad copy+paste job from from readme of B350 version of same BIOS.

Number 1 for sure, thats includes number 3 on it as well.
Then again, Gigabyte always supported AMD APU IGP overcloking on almost every FM2 and AM1 motherboard, i was expecting they to do this on A320 as well, looks like AMD is blocking that from the soc.

There is some issue with stock processors downlocking in certain games- Techdeals mentions SWTOR, XCOM2 and some other games suffering from it. You have to set the clock speeds manually to their stock (or OC) settings on B350/X370 for these games to run properly. On A320- if manual clocks are not possible- can only be fixed by AMD.

yes i noticed that, but only on the 2400G. But yeah that could be it, the 2200G ran mostly ok.

Last edited:

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013

Ok this is the issue i mentioned

Yes, you are right, gpu clock goes down like crazy, this also happen on B350 on stock? Everyone should have noticed this, although it does not happen on every game.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
Just wanted to report that Win7 still crashes on AGESA 1002a
Gigabyte GA-AB350M Gaming 3 UEFI version F23d used.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/8406280

Geekbench 4 score of the dual core Athlon Pro 200GE. Might be embedded only.

pretty much the same score as a Pentium G4560... but with probably way better IGP, an interesting CPU if priced well.

edit: apparently the IGP is named Vega 3, so that means 192SPs? still probably faster than the G4560, but no idea by how much...

Last edited:
Reactions: dark zero