AMD Ryzen 5 2400G and Ryzen 3 2200G APUs performance unveiled

Page 68 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
That sucks, that really, really sucks.

I've got friends on Win7 64-bit, that could benefit from a Ryzen APU rig.

Edit: RX Vega drivers for Win10 and Win7 right on their drivers home page. Who said that they didn't have Win7 drivers?

I mean, the problem is Microsoft will disable Windows 7 updates on all new processors anyway so while they can release new drivers they are entirely at the mercy of Microsoft strangling off their attempts to support old software regardless.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Here, in Lithuania, there are also no 2400G in stock, while 2200G is still available. And on Amazon.uk- it shows just 4 2400G in stock- should sell out soon, with 2200G still in ample supply. I find it interesting- 2200G is a way better deal:) Maybe budget gamers are still researching compatibility situation- while builders of HTPCs and SFFs are getting them for secondary PCs already because they have means to flash compatible bios?

I guess in the end it's up to the end user to decide which one fits their needs. I can see a compelling argument for both of them depending on the end users wants/needs. The SMT tariff seems reasonable too me at least. End user just needs to decide if the xtra threads are needed or just desired.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
4c intel with 20% more clocks is 10% faster than a 4c/8t ryzen,which means that at the same clocks the 4/8 ryzen will only be 10% faster then a 4c intel,or a intel 4c with 10% higher clocks will have the same speed at games that can fully utilize a 8 threaded CPU,no matter if it's called a i5, i3 or maybe a celleron in a few years,10% is pretty slim and since there are still a lot of games out there that can't fully use 8 threads the difference will be even smaller,not to mention games that only have a few threads...

I'm not understanding. Looking at reviews ( https://www.anandtech.com/show/12425/marrying-vega-and-zen-the-amd-ryzen-5-2400g-review/5 ) I see huge gaming performance differences. Can you elaborate, please?

goldstone77

Dec 12, 2017
My expectation for the Chinese DRAM manufacturers is that they will optimize at first for the commodity DRAM market, focusing for the slower grades of DDR-4 in smaller DRAM sizes. I'd expect 4 and 8GB sticks from them at first that are modestly specced (think moderate to high CL 2400 and below). Given the volume in that section of the market, even modest markups from Samsung and Hynix will be under a lot of pressure quite quickly.

Samsung and Hynix know this quite well. They aren't stupid. They are aggressively building out capacity on the high end stuff HBM2, DDR6, high spec DDR4 in an attempt to stay relevant and profitable against very low cost products from China that are expected on the market soon. The profit taking on the top end right now is funding that expansion. Given how far behind Samsung Hynix is right now, I fully expect them to financially fail under the brunt of the Chinese products in the market and to eventually be purchased by those same Chinese firms.

the next few years in the industry are actually quite clear. Samsung will be blazing a trail at the top end of the market in a fight to keep that segment of their business alive. Hynix will fall. The Chinese firms will gobble up the makers that fail to get additional technology and IP for western sales and continue to make volume in the low and mid markets. We NEED Samsung to survive to keep the Chinese companies from gaining a monopoly on the market themselves. We NEED the Chinese firms to put pressure on Samsung both by volume and technology development to keep prices in the middle of the market manageable.

The end game is unfortunately already written. Eventually, Samsung will hit an expensive technology roadblock, somewhere around 7-3nm, and will go broke trying to get past it. The chinese firms will eventually catch up to them, break them financially, and buy what's left once it gets spun off. This won't just happen in the DRAM market either. They are making a lot of headway in the CPU/APU market with the VIA/Centaur team. Yes, it isn't competitive TODAY with even mainstream Intel/AMd products, but, in a few years, it will be. In 5 years time, they will have most of Asia covered in inexpensive, competitive, mid-market products that will guy a lot of Intel and AMD's volume product market. Without that volume, they will have a hard time funding the rest of their development projects. AMD may be in a better position without the pressure to keep their foundries in business. But, in a decade, I don't see anyone still in the market except for Chinese companies.

Its hard for me to believe in your doomsday scenarios with China winning within 5 years with there X generation XYZ processor, which just announced 5th Generation KaiXian comparable ~6 gen i3. I personally see a movement from cell phones to some form a AR/VR glasses, which will eventually dominate the planet and replace desktop and mobile device for the most part. There is an expectation that Industry it projected to dramatically increase spending over the course of the next 5 years in AR/VR that will undoubtedly spill over into commercial sector. This will require a push to ever smaller nodes to make these glasses continue to be innovative these smaller devices, which will push technology smaller and more efficient regardless of perceived notions of roadblocks innovation will find a way. Right now I see nothing that can stop Samsung if they are able to continue executing, and being an innovation leader. EUV at 7nm will be the telling point this year. They will be the first to adopt EUV, and there will be no one to catch them. https://www.androidauthority.com/4nm-processing-node-812959/

Last edited:

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
When I checked mine yesterday in the AM they both showed as 10+ in stock.....Today the 2400G is sold out and the 2200G is still showing 10+ in stock. Not really sure what the total count was but it looks like the 2400G has more demand.

Same here, i asked my supplier about it (its the biggest importer here), they told me they had far more 2200G in stock than 2400Gs. What is really not a suprise to me, this thing always happens with new products, remember the Ryzen launch and the 1800X, same thing happen, and i would not have brought a 1800X at launch price even if my life depended on it.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I still like an R5-1400 and a 1030/RX550/1050/RX560.

I think the 2400G is a great product at a good price and will hit a lot of important market segments for AMD, but for me personally that is also more the kind of setup I would stick with. I just like swappable components I guess so I've never been much of an APU fan. They did well to trade blows with the 1030 which actually a pretty impressive card when you consider its power envelope. The 1030 and now AMDs new APUs make Intel's iGPU look pretty serious jokes.

If RAM prices settle down while GPUs remain overpriced these things market will only expand though.

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
The whole "China will buy Micron/Hynix/etc." thing is a moot point.

If South Korea even thinks about letting Hynix be sold to China they can expect a CIA coup in the blue house within months.

US Empire Memory Fab Cartel will not let China buy any Memory Fab Cartel assets in the next 1000 years.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Same here, i asked my supplier about it (its the biggest importer here), they told me they had far more 2200G in stock than 2400Gs. What is really not a suprise to me, this thing always happens with new products, remember the Ryzen launch and the 1800X, same thing happen, and i would not have brought a 1800X at launch price even if my life depended on it.
I could imagine that gamers are buying these and settling for low end gaming while waiting for GPUs prices to drop.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Remember, quad-channel needs 4 memory controllers on the APU die + increased motherboard complexity AND AM4 will not work, so a new socket needed.

Quad channel brings minimal benefits on the HEDT side. The issue with quad channel is you also have to spec your system to have 4 identical memory modules. That greatly limits the DIMMs you can buy. It also is a no-go in ITX or mobile form factors where even putting 2 channels are on the edge. And consumers will be complaining a laptop comes only with 2 channels rather than 4.

And what happens when you aren't using the iGPU? The quad channel is absolutely useless.

HBM is expensive but at least it has benefits regarding form factor. The future is said to be HBM-like memory as "fast memory" with capacity and expansion coming from DDR4 and NV memories like 3D XPoint.

I do not think it'll come to cost oriented iGPU setups anytime soon though.

The Stilt

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2015
There has been some claims that currently the hardware video decoding in Raven isn't working at all.

Based on the tests I did that definitely isn't the case.
Both H.264 and H.265 hardware decoders are fully functional in the current release drivers and there were no issues in playing back 3840x2160 60fps (Main for H.264, Main10 for H.265) with either of the formats.
The CPU frequency remained at 1.6GHz (i.e. at idle state) and the average utilization was < 4% during the decode.

WHQL 17.40.3701 drivers, MPC-HC 1.7.14 x64 and LAVFilters 0.70.2.88 Nightly (DXVA2 Native).

VP9 hardware decoding meanwhile wasn't working at all regardless of the resolution.
At the moment it is unclear if it is either a driver or decoder issue. The driver at least manifests the support correctly in the current version.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
I could imagine that gamers are buying these and settling for low end gaming while waiting for GPUs prices to drop.

It could be, considering the crazy dgpu prices and the lack of supply that could be the case. But here its posible they ran out of stock just by selling to smaller retailers.

Althoght i would not do that, i would get a 2200g and expend the extra money on ram or a good mb, get a dgpu when i can and a 6c or 8c Ryzen in 2019 or 2020.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
It could be, considering the crazy dgpu prices and the lack of supply that could be the case. But here its posible they ran out of stock just by selling to smaller retailers.

Althoght i would not do that, i would get a 2200g and expend the extra money on ram or a good mb, get a dgpu when i can and a 6c or 8c Ryzen in 2019 or 2020.
Well in my case I already have a i5-4670 w 16GB memory and a GTX 970. So I would have to go with a 6C or 8C APU to get any benefit.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Well in my case I already have a i5-4670 w 16GB memory and a GTX 970. So I would have to go with a 6C or 8C APU to get any benefit.

8c APU sounds cool....6c/12t with a monster gpu shoehorned in sounds better. Maybe 7nm will be the node?

They could call it framecrusher! Sounds AMD like.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
8c APU sounds cool....6c/12t with a monster gpu shoehorned in sounds better. Maybe 7nm will be the node?

Yeah but unless it has memory on die/package for the iGPU this kind of APU will have some major bandwidth issues.

Aug 11, 2008

I agree. The problem with the 2400 is, yes, it gives better performance, but maybe what, 10 or 20% on average. To really move up to another tier of performance, one needs to add a dgpu. If you are going to add a dgpu, then the 1600 or 8400 when cheaper mb are available, are a far better deal for only about 30.00 more.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Performance would dictate the price in the end. I'd imagine it could be somewhat pricey at 1st glance.
Probably cost the same as a CPU+dGPU. However with current video card prices being what they are, could be even cheaper.

Shamrock

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Caught red handed! Newegg caught overpricing the 2400 and 2200 Ryzen APUs, offers partial refund.

https://www.pcgamer.com/newegg-is-offering-partial-refunds-after-overcharging-for-amds-ryzen-apus/

Especially this paragraph:

As we were looking into the refund situation, Newegg had again jacked the price up on both chips, with the Ryzen 5 2400G selling for $189.99 and the Ryzen 3 2200G going for $129.99 earlier today. Then a little while later, the prices dropped back to $99.99 and $169.00, respectively.

Reactions: Thunder 57

CatMerc

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2016
There has been some claims that currently the hardware video decoding in Raven isn't working at all.

Based on the tests I did that definitely isn't the case.
Both H.264 and H.265 hardware decoders are fully functional in the current release drivers and there were no issues in playing back 3840x2160 60fps (Main for H.264, Main10 for H.265) with either of the formats.
The CPU frequency remained at 1.6GHz (i.e. at idle state) and the average utilization was < 4% during the decode.

WHQL 17.40.3701 drivers, MPC-HC 1.7.14 x64 and LAVFilters 0.70.2.88 Nightly (DXVA2 Native).

VP9 hardware decoding meanwhile wasn't working at all regardless of the resolution.
At the moment it is unclear if it is either a driver or decoder issue. The driver at least manifests the support correctly in the current version.
I do believe the original claims were for 2700U in the HP Envy x360 with launch drivers and BIOS. Not sure about current situation or what codecs.

Lack of VP9 decode is a bit concerning considering youtube uses it, and for obvious reasons not having a hardware decoder on a laptop for youtube will be a battery life concern for most users.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000

That doesn’t sound like a great idea. Very small market for an expensive product. I suspect the few enthusiasts that would even consider this would ultimately choose a discrete GPU with dedicated memory instead.

Timorous

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2008
Quite happy with my 2200G build. Need to actually test it properly but so far it seems stable at an all core 3.9Ghz @ 1.39v @ 56C (Coolermaster ML240L AIO). Ram is running at 3400 14-14-14-32 but need to test it for stability, it is rated for 3600 16-16-16-36 so it should be okay. System boots with GPU at 1,500 Mhz but I have not tested it for stability yet as I was playing with memory timings and CPU settings.

Will be testing GPU OC tonight and will see how well (badly) it handles Stellaris at 4k.