AMD Ryzen 3000 Builders Thread

Page 106 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Just so I can feel better about how much money I saved, whats the Intel equivalent to the AMD 3600x in terms of gaming at 1080p and 1440p?

Having seen benchmarks and having used a 8700 briefly, i would say if you can find one as new its not a option anymore would be a 8700 or 8700k. Idk if this chip got discontinued honestly but at this point its a ton cheaper for a 3600 so just get that. I had some remorse on the 8700 till i realized it still delivered more frames yet still. Its not worlds apart but enough still.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
Reactions: Elfear

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
PSU died (old Seasonic) Junk compared to my old PC Power and Cooling PSU that ran for 15 years - including 10 years of 24x7x365 for FAH. Everything seem to be back to normal, except the 'fast boot' behavior of the system. Bios reflashes an clearing CMOS don’t help, other than giving me one chance to tweak the settings. It's apparently an issue with specific, individual MSI boards - I’ve run this to ground for now. Fortunately, I’ve created a saved profile that works well. I get very good performance with good temps (by using a temp offset with PBO). It’s better than a manual overclock because the clocks and voltages will throttle down on idle cores.

Chicken76

Jun 10, 2013
On Ryzen 3000 + X570 where there are two x8 slots coming from the CPU, is it possible to run a Navi and a Polaris GPU while maintaining Gen.4 PCI-E on the Navi card, or is it going to be downgraded to 3.0?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It should be able to maintain PCIe 4.0 to the Navi card. That's what it's wired for after all.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
You won't see a performance difference with 3.0 vs 4.0PCIe for gpu's anyways so just a nice to have.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
On Ryzen 3000 + X570 where there are two x8 slots coming from the CPU, is it possible to run a Navi and a Polaris GPU while maintaining Gen.4 PCI-E on the Navi card, or is it going to be downgraded to 3.0?
Once you use both slots they are basically separate entities. Even on the CPU level they have multiple PHY's to connect the PCIE lanes to, so even separate on that level. Those 8x connected to the Polaris card are still PCIe 4.0 lanes. They just will communicate at PCIe 3.0 when talking to a PCIe 3.0 device.

Reactions: lightmanek

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
I just been told by a AMD rep in my country that, the whole region is out of stock of 3400G, and that is gone for good, that the 4000 series APU are coming by the end of the year.

This is unprecedented, they did intencionally kill the 3400G?

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
I just been told by a AMD rep in my country that, the whole region is out of stock of 3400G, and that is gone for good, that the 4000 series APU are coming by the end of the year.

No but their distributor has probably stopped ordering them. AMD has only killed off one productline immeadiately since I have been building computers and that was the Phenom stuff. The day BD was announced it was almost impossible to get a Thuban or Deneb anywhere.

But here there are multiple reasons to keep going. First any sales with these mean help fufilling WSA requirements. They don't have any other APU's available, which are a requirement for penetration into the Desktop OEM market. 205mm 14/12nm dies are still going to be much cheaper then 150mm 7nm dies with much lower failure rates (though more dies on 7nm wafers). So they can continue to drop pricing (which for APU's as a 4c4t and 4c8t products they only need to move it $25 or so to keep competitive).

I really really doubt AMD killed it before its successor has even been announced.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002

Newegg has it in stock for $198. Multiple vendors.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
I really really doubt AMD killed it before its successor has even been announced.
Agree. There is probably a lot more to the story than just a canceled product.

That being said, I'm super-excited to see what the 4400G on Zen2 will bring. I imagine it will obviate any lead Intel may have with its 6C/6T T-line of chips.

Reactions: lightmanek

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Newegg has it in stock for $198. Multiple vendors.

That dosent mean much, for example, we still have like 100 or so in stock, but we cant get any more anywhere. Ill see how this progress but AMD itselft is telling us that is not coming back, and thats strange considering how far away Renoirs are.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Is it an AMD rep saying this or your distrubeter. AMD doesn't ship directly to any retail company. Could the rep be saying your distributor isn't ordering any more? Is it the 3400 and 3200? or just the 3400G. Could just be the 3400G is a bad seller and they are still getting enough mobile orders for fully functioning chips that they decided to EOL that one (specially if they don't have any OEM supply and availability contracts for it).

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Is it an AMD rep saying this or your distrubeter. AMD doesn't ship directly to any retail company. Could the rep be saying your distributor isn't ordering any more? Is it the 3400 and 3200? or just the 3400G. Could just be the 3400G is a bad seller and they are still getting enough mobile orders for fully functioning chips that they decided to EOL that one (specially if they don't have any OEM supply and availability contracts for it).

An AMD rep (for the LA market in this region) is saying that, and you are right, AMD dosent talk to us directly, at least not as Gigabyte, Asus, MSI or Logitech that has local representatives, do, for example. And is not only here in Argentina, he is saying that is unavalible in the neighboring countries as well and is not expected to come back.
This is weird, Renoir is too far away and may be delayed.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
An AMD rep (for the LA market in this region) is saying that, and you are right, AMD dosent talk to us directly, at least not as Gigabyte, Asus, MSI or Logitech that has local representatives, do, for example. And is not only here in Argentina, he is saying that is unavalible in the neighboring countries as well and is not expected to come back.
This is weird, Renoir is too far away and may be delayed.

Renoir is not far away. It's been spotted in the wild now. With the 4000 series releasing to market next week, they will presumably shift focus to the APUs.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Considering there is not announcement for Desktop Renior I would assume it's launch is far out. Farther then no more shipping of Piccasso desktop now.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
So dang curious how Comet Lake will compete with this, i got plans for a cpu/mobo/ram deal in April. Picked so far a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, 16gb of 3200mhz CL14 and a 3700x. Then Comet Lake interests me till i realize its gonna be prob quite a bit more expensive and also VERY power hungry. Since i got no cooler that is AM4 compatible, i will be content with stock cooler so thats additional cost savings and pro going for the 3700x.

What ya guys think? Should i just jump into the 3700x next month or does Comet Lake offer anything of appeal? Also due to budget perhaps, springing for the Intel system would MAYBE take another month on top of everything. Back in BF5 and the 7700k just does not hold up that well to the game lol. Massive bottleneck on the 1080ti at 1080p.

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
What ya guys think? Should i just jump into the 3700x next month or does Comet Lake offer anything of appeal?

Look at Coffee Lake. Comet Lake-S won't be any different except for the 10c parts. Unless you want a 10c Comet Lake-S (and the cooling requirements that go along with it), you can already compare your 3700x to something like a 9900 or 9900k and get an idea of what is on the table.

Reactions: mopardude87

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Look at Coffee Lake. Comet Lake-S won't be any different except for the 10c parts. Unless you want a 10c Comet Lake-S (and the cooling requirements that go along with it), you can already compare your 3700x to something like a 9900 or 9900k and get an idea of what is on the table.

Yeah i kind of like immediately figured it would be a bit to much. I figured maybe i was being bias in my thinking so wanted another opinion. Doubt Intel could do any sort of sorcery to bring down power and make it manageable. I know the new 1200 socket is releasing with what $200 boards? Add in more expensive cooler over stock AMD and its at least $150 more then AMD based on that.

Meh i got no issues just going for the 3700x. Solid chip anyways. BIG maybe on Comet but performance has to be insane to warrant usage, like my i7 940 from years ago. Has to be justified and i got my doubts. I could easily wait assuming its a April launch.

Thanks for the clarification btw.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@mopardude87

And additional thought:

Comet Lake-S isn't the only part coming out this year. Vermeer is coming, hopefully in July but maybe not until October. It should be a substantial upgrade over Matisse.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
I have built a "test" system for our special purposes system with the following specs:

3950x + Gigabyte Aorus X570 PRO + 4x16GB DR 3200CL14 dram.

The following are the notes and thoughts about first AMD platform since A64 and original Opteron ( which we were first to use in our country in servers and first to drop once Nehalem based ones were released by Intel ).

The GREAT: DRAM compatibility, performance is finally here, being able to run 64GB dram without 4 channels of mem and those 16GB SR dims.
FOUR sticks of dual ranked DRAM at 3600CL14, ~66ns Aida latency and timings as tight as they are? AMD has come a long way, they were infamous for horrible memory controllers, even during Ryzen 1xxx and 2xxx I've read about problems with DR dram. Same DRAM in 9980XE (quad channel) does 3733CL15 and latencies are maybe 10-15ns better.
1584276010168.png

The GOOD: Performance is definitely there. In direct comparison with Skylake-X 18C @4ghz, running exactly same workload, Intel system takes up to 40% longer time when in light load and comparable time when under heavy load ( due to having 2 more cores and 100+GB/s memory bw ).
Overall very happy with performance, snappy, smooth, stable and easier to cool ( read less noisier, as we stick to air only cooling -> Dark Rock PRO4 for both systems). Power efficiency is top too, Intel is chewing 200 watts, AMD ~130w for comparable perf ( and it is Int/mem, not some CB20 niche workload either ).

The BAD: Infrastructure, not only there is AMD specific version of our vendor stuff for like 4 month now only, it is very inmature. For example startup and warmup takes TWICE the time it takes on ref Intel system. I am sure things will get ironed out, but right now it eats into performance margin and viability overall. And obviously due to market situation vendors are not exactly rushing to optimize for AMD, but it seems performance is there and thing are changing for good.