AMD Ryzen 3000 Builders Thread

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Did I mis-understand? He was only talking about their ITX board? Shoot, guess I need to pay more attention when watching YouTube, sometimes I just leave it in the background to listen to.

Well, it's working good now, at least. Maybe I'll have to upgrade to X570, when the time comes. Until then, I'm happy with my AORUS PRO WIFI board.
From what I have read, if you don't need PCIE4, a good X370 like the Taichi, or a good X470 (like the Taichi) will do just fine with the 8 or 12 core. Not sure about the 16 core.

Reactions: Drazick

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Oh man, 16 cores @ 105w is pretty nice... gonna be at least $599 CPU though

Feb 4, 2009
From what I have read, if you don't need PCIE4, a good X370 like the Taichi, or a good X470 (like the Taichi) will do just fine with the 8 or 12 core. Not sure about the 16 core.

Starting to think this may be a good choice, I want the 12 core however I don't want the price of the 12 core. I want PCIE4 but I have no interest in m.2 Raid, I'm perfectly happy with a reasonable sized ssd. Starting to seem like the x570 comes with a bunch of drag for features I do not expect to use like the added cost and active cooling.
I'm just not sure of memory support, will the 570 bring better memory support the 470 just isn't capable of.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Wait, so are you trying to tell me, that my shiny relatively-new Gigabyte AORUS PRO WIFI ATX mobo, .... has a VRM stage designed for Bristol Ridge?

Pretty much, though Gigabyte Frankensteined it to increase its current capacity. For whatever reason.

How does that even make sense? Why would Buildzoid recommend this board?

Probably because the rest of the market's ITX offerings were technically worse.

I'm just not sure of memory support, will the 570 bring better memory support the 470 just isn't capable of.

If you look at the best two X470 candidates for a 3900x (Crosshair VII Hero and X470 Taichi), I'm pretty sure both boards offer at least DDR4-4000 in the UEFI, today. After that it's a matter of microcode. I have been profoundly underwhelmed by ASRock's long-term UEFI support for my X370 Taichi. Caveat emptor. If there's any board that I would trust to hit DDR4-4000 (or maybe higher, but don't count on it) with a 3900x, I would trust the C7H.

That being said, the X470 Taichi already supports DDR4-4000 for Pinnacle Ridge (good luck getting it to boot though). They may eventually get there for Matisse. Let someone else try it first and see how it goes.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
So current build strategy. Tell me if you see any faults.

Things I already have
H100i
Radeon VII

Things I ordered just because
Fractal Design Nano S (black no window)
SF800LTI (Sold myself on the Nano before I realized how close the GPU would sit next to the PSU. This should create a significant gap.)
2x16 of Samsung B Die 3200 (this is a choice more for my other system, it has 32GB of the exact same memory in it. If I upgrade it to the 16c chip later, Ill move this over and go for a higher clocked memory for this system).

The parts I will get after release.
CPU: 3800x (I will be swaying back and forth till reviews on this and the 3900x,, but I feel the 3800x is where I will land).
HDD: 10TB Hitachi
SSD: 970 Pro 1-2 TB, or PCIe 4.0 NVME drive if one launches and seems really good. Don't know if I can trust all the Phison drives that have been shown.
Mobo: X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX TB3

Setup. This will be a tabletop PC. It will be considerably larger the then M1 based system I am currently using. But for a couple reasons wanted to pull back from going that small again. That's why the case is what it is. Still a tower config. A little bloated. But not Mid or full tower bloated. The plan is to use the H100i as a filtered front intake and a single rear fan as the exhaust (positive pressure build).

One unique question that sticks out is, should I replace the Corsair H100i fans? I am thinking Noctua. If so what fans are a good replacement for this. The idea is this will be a bedroom gaming system. It will generally be off when not in use but there will be times that I am running it while I sleep. This isn't terrible on the M1. But there is a lot of room for improvement.

Have you checked the clearance for the H100i radiator and the Radeon VII, if using the radiator as a front intake on that case?

Last year, I built a 2700x with an H100i and a Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro, using the Fractal design Define S--I had actually bought the same Nano S case that you have, more than a year in advance, anticipating the same plan as you, but with no idea what CPU, GPU, mobo, let alone PSU I would need/want (Zen actually didn't exist at that point, lol, let alone Polaris...so many things happened and I ended up waiting out the first gen Zen, with a case and some new RAM just waiting to go in something, haha).

Anyway, Once I eventually picked up the parts I need, I ran into problems from the beginning: There wasn't a ITX-PSU that I trusted in the 700W range that would fit in the Nano S, without choking 1.5 fans on the Vega 64 Nitro. (I originally was hoping for a ~400W build, but the AMD offering that were available...long after we knew their constraints, just wouldn't allow it, imo).

Also with the Nitro--I can't fit the H100i's radiator as a front intake because the V64 Nitro is beastly long...I think the Radeon VII is at least as long, right? and you are going with the Nano S, which has even less clearance.

I did replace those fans, though. I used some fancier Corsair ones, I think...the magnetic bearing ones or something...or maybe they are Noctua. I forget, lol.

I also found that mounting the heatsink for the H100i on the CPU was incredibly difficult in this case--especially because I had to use the radiator on the top. Not a lot of clearance, and some frustrated snapping-into-place with the bracket, but it eventually worked. And this was the larger case with a a full size ATX board (X470 Taichi). I told myself afterward: I am never going to bother with this ITX dream again, lol. I'm also a bit noobish with fake water cooling and this was my very first attempt with anything close to it, even though it is an AIO.

By the way--I still have the Nano S in a box, barely touched...because who knows, right? lol

Last edited:

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Have you checked the clearance for the H100i radiator and the Radeon VII, if using the radiator as a front intake on that case?

Last year, I built a 2700x with an H100i and a Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro, using the Fractal design Define S--I had actually bought the same Nano S case that you have, more than a year in advance, anticipating the same plan as you, but with no idea what CPU, GPU, mobo, let alone PSU I would need/want (Zen actually didn't exist at that point, lol, let alone Polaris...so many things happened and I ended up waiting out the first gen Zen, with a case and some new RAM just waiting to go in something, haha).

Anyway, Once I eventually picked up the parts I need, I ran into problems from the beginning: There wasn't a ITX-PSU that I trusted in the 700W range that would fit in the Nano S, without choking 1.5 fans on the Vega 64 Nitro. (I originally was hoping for a ~400W build, but the AMD offering that were available...long after we knew their constraints, just wouldn't allow it, imo).

Also with the Nitro--I can't fit the H100i's radiator as a front intake because the V64 Nitro is beastly long...I think the Radeon VII is at least as long, right? and you are going with the Nano S, which has even less clearance.

I did replace those fans, though. I used some fancier Corsair ones, I think...the magnetic bearing ones or something...or maybe they are Noctua. I forget, lol.

I also found that mounting the heatsink for the H100i on the CPU was incredibly difficult in this case--especially because I had to use the radiator on the top. Not a lot of clearance, and some frustrated snapping-into-place with the bracket, but it eventually worked. And this was the larger case with a a full size ATX board (X470 Taichi). I told myself afterward: I am never going to bother with this ITX dream again, lol. I'm also a bit noobish with fake water cooling and this was my very first attempt with anything close to it, even though it is an AIO.

By the way--I still have the Nano S in a box, barely touched...because who knows, right? lol

I Eyeballed it which isn't great I admit, maybe because I knew I could get away with a top setup if I did. Another reason I am going with the Asrock ITX, it doesn't have a million things surrounding the CPU mount (which uses a LGA 105* mount so extra plus with install).

The Radeon VII doesn't at least in my hands seem like that long of a card.

Looked it up 10.25". Let's check the Nitro 12.20" So pretty much 2 inches Longer. Do you think having 2" would have given you the room?

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
If it comes down to it. I'll do 2 fans in the front and a push pull H80i in the back. Or find a different case and throw a APU setup in the Nano S for my mom.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I Eyeballed it which isn't great I admit, maybe because I knew I could get away with a top setup if I did. Another reason I am going with the Asrock ITX, it doesn't have a million things surrounding the CPU mount (which uses a LGA 105* mount so extra plus with install).

The Radeon VII doesn't at least in my hands seem like that long of a card.

Looked it up 10.25". Let's check the Nitro 12.20" So pretty much 2 inches Longer. Do you think having 2" would have given you the room?

Well, I'm often told that 2" is enough!

Yes, I *think* 2 inches might be enough for that clearance, but again that is me doing the thing you are doing--just look at it and go with it. I don't recall all of the dimensions though--I think the Nano S and Define S are the same depth, right? Just one is taller and a wee bit wider. So the GPU length should be directly comparable. The main issue I had though, really, was that I could find a ~650-750 PSU that would fit in the Nano without sitting directly on the GPU fans. ....though in some ways, that extra buttressing would probably help keep this preposterously heavy GPU seated where it needs to be seated.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@Topweasel

Another thing to consider . . . how does that MSI ITX board stack up against the Asus X570 Impact? Not sure if DTX would fit your build, but the Impact is pretty robust. That MSI board is only 6+2, Impact is 8+4 with 70a phases. If you need the Thunderbolt 3 though . . . you might be stuck with it.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Well, I'm often told that 2" is enough!

Yes, I *think* 2 inches might be enough for that clearance, but again that is me doing the thing you are doing--just look at it and go with it. I don't recall all of the dimensions though--I think the Nano S and Define S are the same depth, right? Just one is taller and a wee bit wider. So the GPU length should be directly comparable. The main issue I had though, really, was that I could find a ~650-750 PSU that would fit in the Nano without sitting directly on the GPU fans. ....though in some ways, that extra buttressing would probably help keep this preposterously heavy GPU seated where it needs to be seated.

That's why I got the 800w SFX-L Power Supply. Should give the Video Card and extra 4 inches of clearance over the PSU. I do worry about it Bending down. But once in a stable spot I can probably prop up the right corner with something to keep it stable. The HSF on the Radeon VII is no joke weight wise.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
@Topweasel

Another thing to consider . . . how does that MSI ITX board stack up against the Asus X570 Impact? Not sure if DTX would fit your build, but the Impact is pretty robust. That MSI board is only 6+2, Impact is 8+4 with 70a phases. If you need the Thunderbolt 3 though . . . you might be stuck with it.

Well DTX wouldn't work very well. I mean I could probably get away with it. But I like the Asrock because it doesn't stack things like a foot high around the CPU socket. Don't need TB3, but wouldn't hate it. No overclocking so I am not sure power delivery matters that much.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Well DTX wouldn't work very well. I mean I could probably get away with it. But I like the Asrock because it doesn't stack things like a foot high around the CPU socket. Don't need TB3, but wouldn't hate it. No overclocking so I am not sure power delivery matters that much.

Thought you were going with an MSI board? Maybe I'm confused. Anyway if you aren't overclocking, 6+2 phases might be enough.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Thought you were going with an MSI board? Maybe I'm confused. Anyway if you aren't overclocking, 6+2 phases might be enough.

No Asrock (I forgot to post the MFG when I listed the board) X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX TB3. The one with the triangle cooler for the X570.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
3900x for me. 3950x is a bit rich for my wallet.

Anyone know if these things will go up as pre-order or are they just first come first served?

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Fugg it, going whole hog in.

5700 XT
3900X
32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 or 3200 CL14
X570 mid-tier I guess?

MAYBE a 2560 x 1440 144 Hz panel

Last edited:
Reactions: lightmanek

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Fugg it, going whole hog in.

5700 XT
3900X
32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 or 3200 CL14
X570 mid-tier I guess?

MAYBE a 2560 x 1440 144 Hz panel
Hey. It's me, your long lost brother. Celebrate our reunion by buying a matching system for me. Twinsies.

guachi

Nov 16, 2010
I have a Ryzen 1700 system.

I'd like to build a small ITX gaming system to hook to my 4k TV. I'm looking at the Silverstone Sugo SG13 and it has a max cooler height of 61mm. It also looks like it will fit a 10.5" video card.

I don't know if we know what coolers the 3000 series CPUs come with but it looks like the 65w 3600 will come with the small Wraith Stealth that, conveniently, is less than 61mm by 5mm.

I assume any ITX board on Newegg will work with the 3600 as it's low power but are there any boards to stay away from? What's the best ITX board out there?

So... is:

Ryzen 3600
B450/X470 ITX board
supplied cooler
Sugo SG13
Radeon VII/5070XT/2080/2070 GPU

a reasonable build?

Feb 4, 2009
I have a Ryzen 1700 system.

I'd like to build a small ITX gaming system to hook to my 4k TV. I'm looking at the Silverstone Sugo SG13 and it has a max cooler height of 61mm. It also looks like it will fit a 10.5" video card.

I don't know if we know what coolers the 3000 series CPUs come with but it looks like the 65w 3600 will come with the small Wraith Stealth that, conveniently, is less than 61mm by 5mm.

I assume any ITX board on Newegg will work with the 3600 as it's low power but are there any boards to stay away from? What's the best ITX board out there?

So... is:

Ryzen 3600
B450/X470 ITX board
supplied cooler
Sugo SG13

a reasonable build?

Nope all Ryzen 3000 come with the good cooler now, it’s listed in one of the slides from yesterday.

Reactions: guachi

samboy

Aug 17, 2002
Well, the 3950x changes my plans; looks like I won't be building my new system until September! Then I may be tempted to wait until the Threadripper replacement to get 4 channel memory and extra PCI lanes.......... AMD may well get more of my $ than originally planned.

The downside with 16c is that there will be cases where the memory controller will be overwhelmed; but there are also plenty of cases where you are not memory bound and the extras cores can help. AMD have included a generous L3 cache to mitigate.

The extra $250 for going from 3900 to 3950x carries a bit of an extra premium; but if you look at the total cost of the system its justifiable for me.

Disappointing that I'll now need to wait 2 more months; but I know that I'd regret not waiting and I can sit back and see how motherboards perform and which companies give the best support!

Reactions: lightmanek

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
What's the best ITX board out there?

Good question! If you are going off X470, I would guess . . .

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/asus_rog_strix_x470i_gaming_review/3

Asus ROG Strix x470-i gaming. Currently $190 on the street.

So... is:

Ryzen 3600
B450/X470 ITX board
supplied cooler
Sugo SG13

a reasonable build?

Seems so. If you get Radeon VII, hit us up in the owner's thread. We'll help you get the most you can out of that card (it does take some effort, but it's worth it). That being said, 2080s may be getting cheap(er) soon . . .

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Good question! If you are going off X470, I would guess . . .

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/asus_rog_strix_x470i_gaming_review/3

Asus ROG Strix x470-i gaming. Currently $190 on the street.

Seems so. If you get Radeon VII, hit us up in the owner's thread. We'll help you get the most you can out of that card (it does take some effort, but it's worth it). That being said, 2080s may be getting cheap(er) soon . . .
Not one single ASRock board in that review ? The Taichi is famous for being an excellent board for the price.