AMD Ryzen 3000 Builders Thread

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
I am not an clock monster. I'll be running XFR and PBO.

I am a core fiend. But I'll be looking to get a 16c chip to replace my 1700. Getting a 3900x right now would for the core satisfaction and the 12c in an itx fun.

I know what will be good for me will be the 3800x I just also know I'll want the 3900x. That's why it's up in the air.
Same here. I'm in the same dilemma. Responsible? Or fun? I'm old enough for a second childhood. Or maybe a third by now, so fun may win out.

Reactions: itsmydamnation

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
I am not an clock monster. I'll be running XFR and PBO.

I am a core fiend. But I'll be looking to get a 16c chip to replace my 1700. Getting a 3900x right now would for the core satisfaction and the 12c in an itx fun.

I know what will be good for me will be the 3800x I just also know I'll want the 3900x. That's why it's up in the air.

Look at all the L3 on the 3900x! :)

*slaps roof of cpu* this baby can hold so much spaghetti in L3

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/slaps-roof-of-car

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
I'm also looking for an upgrade to 3800X or 3900X.

My current RIG (from 2017) is:

CPU: Ryzen 1700X
Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 CPU Cooler
GPU: MSI Geforce 1070 GTX (Gaming)
MOBO: MSI B350 TOMAHAWK
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2 650W, 80 PLUS Platinum
DDR4: Corsair Vengeance LPX red 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz CL16
SSD: SAMSUNG SSD 960 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB
Case: Fractal Design Define S

I'm looking to replacing the CPU, Motherboard and RAM trio (making it easier to sell) though I might opt to keep the RAM for now, if the difference between 3200Mhz and 4200Mhz+ isn't noticable. I must admit, It's really tempting to upgrade to 32GB of faster memory though.
I will definitely change the MOBO as the VRMs are not good enough for 12 Cores (nor does it support PBO) Unfortunately all the X570 seems quite expensive for now. I also don't see any good PCIe 4 M.2 SSDs out by autumn, so it still seems It's still necessary to upgrade piece-wise.

Mostly, I would really like for these CPUs to make good use of Water Cooling with Precision Boost Overdrive (2.0?) so that I can ditch my NH-U12S and get a Fractal Celsius S24 instead. That's also why I'm rather eyeing the 3800X, not 3700X

EDIT:
Oh and I will definitely not preorder. Probably will wait for a month or so, to make sure all the benches are out, new BIOSes released and the motherboard scene better laid out.

Last edited:

hifihedgehog

Jul 5, 2016
I have committed to the elusive and mysterious 16-core model. It will work in tandem with my ASUS ROG Strix X470-I Gaming and G.SKILL 2X8GB 3600 MHz Cl15 memory. With any luck, I will hopefully see it make an official appearance sometime this year. If not, painful patience will have to prevail until AMD finally gets around to it.
I may end up getting the 12-core after all. As it turns out, I had RMA'ed my Ryzen 7 1700 processor per a recommendation that it suggested the cause for the VGA trouble code that my motherboard has displayed was the processor. In actuality, it turns out the slot and the surrounding circuitry on the motherboard failed. So instead, I will be getting a new X570 motherboard. Micro Center, who stepped up, may end up allowing to upgrade to the X570 equivalent of my board for the cost difference with the condition that I buy a Ryzen 9 3900X. It is pending store manager approval, though, so if that falls through, I will go ahead and RMA the board, flip the RMA replacement on the resale market and then get a brand spanking new X570 board.

Last edited:

Monk5127

Mar 22, 2015
In the same spot very tempted to buy some Samsung b die and roll the dice but I don’t like the $100 Samsung tax applied to the 32GB kits.
Ryzen 3000 should have better memory support and micron appears to have some decent fast ram coming.
I caved and ordered 32GB Trident Z - F4-3200C14D-32GTZKW.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@Gideon

If you are using your old RAM and you want a 3900x, you can probably get away with a Crosshair VII Hero or X470 Taichi. Both should have good enough VRMs for at least moderate overclocks on the 3900x, and definitely enough for stock operation. Only issue will be getting a board with an updated UEFI. If you want seriously faster RAM later (faster than DDR4-4000) then I am not sure if those boards will support the speeds you want.

Reactions: Gideon

phreakwarz

Aug 18, 2014
I have been trying to keep up will the Ryzen 3000 cpus since it was announced. I have read page after page all over the net watched yt videos of speculation and saw 1 bench I think it was cinabench. Every other person has said wait for reviews.'

With that said I have one simple question. If these cpus are as good or better as AMD claims, how come AMD just let some reputable people bench them prior to release. Why not let good people see it work first.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@phreakwarz

For whatever reason, AMD is keeping things hush-hush, which they've been doing for awhile now. They're doing the same thing with Navi.

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
If you are using your old RAM and you want a 3900x, you can probably get away with a Crosshair VII Hero or X470 Taichi.
An interesting idea, will certainly keep that in mind!
If you want seriously faster RAM later (faster than DDR4-4000) then I am not sure if those boards will support the speeds you want.
Yeah, will wait for benchmarks regardless, before shelling out that much $$$ for new memory. Regarding the memory frequency, there is a faint hope of better overclocking, as the primary bottleneck should be the memory controller, probably depends on how much resources they want to expend to tune the BIOS.
If these cpus are as good or better as AMD claims, how come AMD just let some reputable people bench them prior to release
This is very rarely done as companies feel (not entirely without reason) that it will cut into the sales of the current-gen, while they are hoping to clear the inventory. Also it will give some early warning for the competitor (though by that time they probably have a very good idea through OEMs anyway). The third obvious reason is that if the product doesn't live up to the hype, people will cancel preorders.

IMO, as long as the product is good, allowing preview benches a month before release would actually be good publicity. Curiously, Intel did just that in 2006 with Anandtech, previewing the Core 2 Duo a month before the release.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Yeah, will wait for benchmarks regardless, before shelling out that much $$$ for new memory. Regarding the memory frequency, there is a faint hope of better overclocking, as the primary bottleneck should be the memory controller, probably depends on how much resources they want to expend to tune the BIOS.

With Matisse, it appears that DDR4-4000 will become an everyday thing, at least on X570. I know that some board on X370 and X470 have support in UEFI for up to 4000 MHz RAM, but not sure if the microcode updates to support Matisse will make it easy to achieve those speeds.

IMO, as long as the product is good, allowing preview benches a month before release would actually be good publicity. Curiously, Intel did just that in 2006 with Anandtech, previewing the Core 2 Duo a month before the release.

Intel did it to recapture mindshare. They didn't necessarily mind letting their entire stockpile of Pentium Ds and Pentium 4s languish unsold in liquidation. AMD did a lot of damage to them, starting with Socket A Athlon all the way to x2s. It was about a 5-year period with only an intermission for P4bs and P4cs, which in and of itself was a pretty brief window. AMD is playing a slower game here, knowing full well that Intel can't launch a counterattack until maybe 2021. Personally I would rather see Matisse fully benchmarked on numerous boards before launch. But that's just me.

Reactions: CHADBOGA

phreakwarz

Aug 18, 2014
I can understand the hush, hush on products months or years away. But we are like less that a month away. As far as sales if its as good as AMD says (I hope it is) releasing 2 or 3 cpus to reputable people (all manufactures have some kind of secure insider).Anandtech and Toms hardware would be reputable in my opinion. As far as the competitor goes, they will have one very near the first day, and most likely have it dissembled with in hours.

As an engineer by trade (just didm't do computer hardware stuff) some of the campanys I worked for always wanted to show the product off as soon as possible. This was done to ensure the product was what we said it was and to grab as much cash as we could, before people bought the competitor item. Today these manufactures want to mislead consumers with tactics never seen before. Im not saying the AMD company is misleading in any way. Just they could literally stop many from buying intel right now with a few good benches by reputable people.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
I can understand the hush, hush on products months or years away. But we are like less that a month away. As far as sales if its as good as AMD says (I hope it is) releasing 2 or 3 cpus to reputable people (all manufactures have some kind of secure insider).Anandtech and Toms hardware would be reputable in my opinion. As far as the competitor goes, they will have one very near the first day, and most likely have it dissembled with in hours.

As an engineer by trade (just didm't do computer hardware stuff) some of the campanys I worked for always wanted to show the product off as soon as possible. This was done to ensure the product was what we said it was and to grab as much cash as we could, before people bought the competitor item. Today these manufactures want to mislead consumers with tactics never seen before. Im not saying the AMD company is misleading in any way. Just they could literally stop many from buying intel right now with a few good benches by reputable people.
You are looking at a huge multi-billion dollar retail products vs. corporate to corporate sales. Also with development processes that go into years with minimal adjustments that can go into it specially after the one year to go mark. There isn't a value in showing it off. That said corporations have had samples of Rome for nearly a year at this point. They have been shipping products for I believe a quarter at this point, even though it hasn't been launched yet. There is very little to be gained in the retail market and ton to be lost by reviewing early and not so much on the data-center side. They needed to get those into peoples hands to influence as many projects as early in the process as possible. It's really two different kinds of markets.

Reactions: sdifox

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm vacillating on the Ryzen 3000-series CPU lineup. IF I choose to upgrade, I DO want a 16C/32T. If I'm going to spend the money to upgrade, I want to go as all-out as possible, within the platform's limits.

I'd like an X570 board, but they sure look pricey. If my current board (Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI) can take the 16C/32T Ryzen 3000-series, then I'll probably stick with this board. It is nice, and not horribly expensive. ($110 on sale, has Intel LAN and Intel AC wifi+BT).

I used to be more budget-oriented, doing what I could with the mid-grade or in my even earlier years, mostly low-end parts. Now, I want something good that will last a while. (That said, there's really nothing wrong with my Ryzen R5 1600 CPUs either, but I want more graphs showing up under Task Manager, CPU.)

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I'm vacillating on the Ryzen 3000-series CPU lineup. IF I choose to upgrade, I DO want a 16C/32T. If I'm going to spend the money to upgrade, I want to go as all-out as possible, within the platform's limits.

I'd like an X570 board, but they sure look pricey. If my current board (Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI) can take the 16C/32T Ryzen 3000-series, then I'll probably stick with this board. It is nice, and not horribly expensive. ($110 on sale, has Intel LAN and Intel AC wifi+BT).

I would not trust that board to the 16c. Actually I would not trust any B450. You can try it, and it would be kinda interesting to watch, but still.

That board is a 4+3 with extra inductors (making it look like an 8+3). If you want some idea of how that would stack up against an 16c chip, treat it as though it were a 2-phase motherboard with extra inductors for the purpose of running an 8c chip. If you are comfortable with the idea of running an 8c Ryzen on a 2-phase motherboard, hey, be my guest.

If you want to go "cheap" on the 16c, you could try one of the better X470 boards, maybe. X470 Taichi or Crosshair VII Hero. We have seen some people run 8c Ryzen chips on 4+2 configs, so I could see 16c running on 10+2 (60a) or 12+4 (40a).

I used to be more budget-oriented, doing what I could with the mid-grade or in my even earlier years, mostly low-end parts. Now, I want something good that will last a while. (That said, there's really nothing wrong with my Ryzen R5 1600 CPUs either, but I want more graphs showing up under Task Manager, CPU.)

If you really want to go all-out on motherboard, check out the X570 Aorus Master. I think Asus may still wind up with better UEFI/microcode support, but Gigabyte looks prepared to win on hardware. The Master and Extreme have an amazing VRM.

After that point it's all about your PSU, dGPU, RAM, etc. You know the drill. I'm guessing 850W platinum power supply, 2080Ti, and one of those new PCIe 4 NVMe drives for you. Not sure on RAM since we don't know if Matisse can handle 2x16GB configs correctly yet (unlike earlier Ryzen chips).

Reactions: amd6502

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That board is a 4+3 with extra inductors (making it look like an 8+3). If you want some idea of how that would stack up against an 16c chip, treat it as though it were a 2-phase motherboard with extra inductors for the purpose of running an 8c chip. If you are comfortable with the idea of running an 8c Ryzen on a 2-phase motherboard, hey, be my guest.
That's funny. I Bought this board specifically, because Buildzoid gave it an "honorable mention" in one of his VRM videos, and thought, feature-wise, it's not too bad, either.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@VirtuaLarry

It's actually really weird. Adding inductors increases current capacity, but I'm not sure what it does for frequency response. Also, the 4+3 config was designed for Bristol Ridge. That was one of those designs The_Stilt warned us to avoid two years ago.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Also, the 4+3 config was designed for Bristol Ridge. That was one of those designs The_Stilt warned us to avoid two years ago.
Wait, so are you trying to tell me, that my shiny relatively-new Gigabyte AORUS PRO WIFI ATX mobo, .... has a VRM stage designed for Bristol Ridge? How does that even make sense? Why would Buildzoid recommend this board?

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
Ohhh, I really hope they release the 16 core as well even if it's a little bit after the rest of the lineup. I will most likely wait for that, as I need to replace my GPU as well

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Wait, so are you trying to tell me, that my shiny relatively-new Gigabyte AORUS PRO WIFI ATX mobo, .... has a VRM stage designed for Bristol Ridge? How does that even make sense? Why would Buildzoid recommend this board?
You do realize that many on this forum are smarter or more informed than many YouTubers. The Stilt ? known worldwide, too bad we lost him due to "people that like a certain cpu mfg'er". I can use the real word I want.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
in the am4 roundup for ryzen2 he only gave the Gigabyte B450I Aorus Pro WiFi an honorable mention for the ITX category for APUs, mostly because the apu doesnt draw that much power so the 4 phase is fine. he generally slammed gigabyte's boards across the lineup for poor vrms and heatsinks in all his specific board reviews.

though for x570 gigabyte was in contact with him during development and corrected every issue BZ had with the last gen boards, including cleaning up the bios.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
in the am4 roundup for ryzen2 he only gave the Gigabyte B450I Aorus Pro WiFi an honorable mention for the ITX category for APUs
Did I mis-understand? He was only talking about their ITX board? Shoot, guess I need to pay more attention when watching YouTube, sometimes I just leave it in the background to listen to.

Well, it's working good now, at least. Maybe I'll have to upgrade to X570, when the time comes. Until then, I'm happy with my AORUS PRO WIFI board.