AMD Ryzen 3000 Builders Thread

Page 85 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
You might want to look at x570 Strix-F Gaming. VRMs are rock solid, and it's otherwise identical to Strix-E gaming except that it has one less Ethernet port, no built-in AX200 wifi, and two fewer phases on the secondary.

I bought the E because it costs like only $20 more here than the F and since I tend to keep stuff long, the added 2.5gb Ethernet seemed worth it. The strix-e is in my opinion rather a power user /workstation board than a gaming board. also a reason I choose it. Many fast! usb3 ports and also plenty sata ports which for example the MSI MEG Ace has way to few (for it's price) and made it a no go.

The lower end boards as important info which buildzoid always forgot to mention is that they only have 1 pcie-16x slot from the cpu. The Strix boards are the cheapest (here) that actually have 2 x16 slots from the CPU. Depending on the board using the x16 from the Chipset might disable 1 m2 or some sata ports. So I considered that somehwat relevant in case one want to add 10gb network down the line or some pcie based storage (optane?). I will probably never need it but I don't liek to limit myself from the star given that I most likely keep it for >5 years.

arandomguy

Sep 3, 2013
I cannot remember where i read it but the Asus B450 boards are below average and MSI B450 are the above average. i personally would wait for B550.

I ended up with a Gigabyte board for now. It was only less than $10 more than the Asrock but no MIR to deal with and much longer return window (Jan 31st), also it already has a bios for 1.0.0.4 B. Have the CPU, memory, and motherboard all here but might hold until news in January regarding B550 and Renoir (would be a blast if it had better latency somehow and ended up better than current Zen 2's for certain gaming scenarios) before deciding to go with it or not.

Lack of PCIe 4.0 and dual m.2 nvme options (due to the PCIe 2.0 chipset limitation) is also another reason why I didn't feel liek spending a lot on a current motherboard.

I also wonder what Renoir will be. What I've always wondered is the package would be huge for mobile use as well as efficiency at low loads if it mirrored the current Zen 2 chiplet setup. Would be a pretty interesting potential latency advantage if they had to move I/O (and the IMC) to the same die. Or has it actually been confirmed somewhere?

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I bought the E because it costs like only $20 more here than the F and since I tend to keep stuff long, the added 2.5gb Ethernet seemed worth it. The strix-e is in my opinion rather a power user /workstation board than a gaming board. also a reason I choose it. Many fast! usb3 ports and also plenty sata ports which for example the MSI MEG Ace has way to few (for it's price) and made it a no go.

The lower end boards as important info which buildzoid always forgot to mention is that they only have 1 pcie-16x slot from the cpu. The Strix boards are the cheapest (here) that actually have 2 x16 slots from the CPU. Depending on the board using the x16 from the Chipset might disable 1 m2 or some sata ports. So I considered that somehwat relevant in case one want to add 10gb network down the line or some pcie based storage (optane?). I will probably never need it but I don't liek to limit myself from the star given that I most likely keep it for >5 years.
Wow, that's weird. I didn’t even post the quoted text attributed to me :oops:

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
I say this because I have the B350 Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard. It runs everything I throw at it. It even booted 3600mhz with no problem. The Bios that is known to be very good is E7BOOAMS.1JO for my board. I think the bios may be the same. I saw the new bios released by MSI today. The last one was awful! I know it says beta but it was total garbage. This one is also beta. I may give it a shot.
Ah, what luck. I updated to the latest beta BIOS today (it must be in the root directory) and set the memory speed to 3600 MHz and now it all works. Thanks for the tip.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Ah, what luck. I updated to the latest beta BIOS today (it must be in the root directory) and set the memory speed to 3600 MHz and now it all works. Thanks for the tip.
I can confirm the MSI "JQ" bios is a good one. Latest release on the MSI website. Labeled a beta bios release date 12/3/2019. AGESA 1.0.0.4 It does boot the computer much faster than 1.0.0.3 Other than that no performance boost or increase that I have noticed. I use the override feature and game mode which locks my CPU in at 4.2ghz all the time.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Forgot the AM4 adapter for my NH-D15, thought it was in the shipping box. Anyway, now it’s here, finally. Maybe I’ll have this thing built by Christmas :p

• Haha
Reactions: DarthKyrie

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
I'm going to be starting my new build shortly. Finally decided to move off my X58 box that is about a 9 year old build now.

What I have purchased so far.

Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2

CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X

Motherboard
Asus Prime X570-Pro

Hard drives
Intel 750 1.2TB U2 with M2 adaptor this will be my OS/Apps drive
Samsung 860evo 1TB SATA III x2 to be setup in Raid 0 for my Games and some location storage.

Majority of my Media Storage is done on a HTPC on the network with 8TB's of storage.

What still need to be picked up.

PSU, Memory, Cpu cooler, Will be reusing my 580X gpu from current build.

On the CPU cooling front, do I go AIO or full customer waterloop?

For AIO Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R possible option
if I go full custom water then Alphacool 11469 Eissturm Hurricane Copper 45 3x120mm.

I need suggestions on which RAM will probably start with a 2x8GB 3200-3600 CL14 kit if I can find it in stock probably Gskill.

If I go AIO Water that will cover CPU only and if I go Alphacool that will be more long term which will include a GPU block eventually.

Suggestions?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Why not the Corsair MP600 PCIE4 drive ? Much faster than that Intel 750.

Reactions: Drazick

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Why not the Corsair MP600 PCIE4 drive ? Much faster than that Intel 750.
Well I already own the 750 I picked it up on sale a few months back and it still sitting sealed in a box.

Also For a storage drive it should be quick enough.

I would have to drop $300 Cdn on the Corsair which uses 3d TLC nand.

The intel drive is using MLC nand even if much slower

I won't really be doing any transfers that will benefit from the extra speed on the corsair

GIGABYTE AORUS NVMe Gen4 SSD 1TB is also an option for $274 CAD on sale right now but as said that would be an additional expense as I already own the intel drive.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Well I already own the 750 I picked it up on sale a few months back and it still sitting sealed in a box.

Also For a storage drive it should be quick enough.

I would have to drop $300 Cdn on the Corsair which uses 3d TLC nand.

The intel drive is using MLC nand even if much slower

I won't really be doing any transfer that will benefit from the extra speed on the corsair

GIGABYTE AORUS NVMe Gen4 SSD 1TB is also an option for $274 CAD on sale right now but as said that would be an additional expense as I already own the intel drive.

$220 and fast. I have 2 of them. And with its built in heatsink, you need that or it will seriously degrade performance !

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002

$220 and fast. I have 2 of them. And with its built in heatsink, you need that or it will seriously degrade performance !

If I sell the 750 then I would consider it but right now that $275-$300 can go to the CPU cooler.

Will just have to suffer with

Max Sequential Read 2400
Max Sequential Write 1200

on the Intel drive.

Most of the writing will be to the 2TB Raid 0 setup which will probably hit about 1100 mb/sec Sequential writes.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
If I sell the 750 then I would consider it but right now that $275-$300 can go to the CPU cooler.

Will just have to suffer with

Max Sequential Read 2400
Max Sequential Write 1200

on the Intel drive.

Most of the writing will be to the 2TB Raid 0 setup which will probably hit about 1100 mb/sec Sequential writes.
What's the rationale for $275-300 on a cooler, as opposed to a 3900X, better RAM, better GPU, etc?

Reactions: JimKiler

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
What's the rationale for $275-300 on a cooler, as opposed to a 3900X, better RAM, better GPU, etc?

The 3800X was already purchased!
I'm reusing my current GPU and won't be upgrading that until AMD has a GPU out with Hardware ray tracing support. Only pushing a 1920x1200 res so no need currently.

And if I go AIO that will be in the $200-300 Range.

Custom water will be $600+

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
I'm reusing my current GPU and won't be upgrading that until AMD has a GPU out with Hardware ray tracing support. Only pushing a 1920x1200 res so no need currently.

Aren't even very very good AIOs running <$200 (Corsair 115i Platinum, for example, that overclocked in AIDA64 is a top-3 performer, or the H100i Pro that's within 5 degrees of top performer in all categories for $130)?

I'd almost just pocket the $100 for later upgrades... especially considering the poor overclocking performance, even under water, of the 3800X and entry-level Zen2 as a whole.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Aren't even very very good AIOs running <$200 (Corsair 115i Platinum, for example, that overclocked in AIDA64 is a top-3 performer, or the H100i Pro that's within 5 degrees of top performer in all categories for $130)?

I'd almost just pocket the $100 for later upgrades... especially considering the poor overclocking performance, even under water, of the 3800X and entry-level Zen2 as a whole.
From some of the prices, it seems these prices are CAD, not USD ??

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

I’d go with a solid air cooler for that 8 core cpu.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
I’d go with a solid air cooler for that 8 core cpu.

Solid air cooler such as?

So don't spend more than $200 on an AIO got it.

I would prefer to stick to 280mm to 360mm rad.

The whole purpose for me looking at custom was to keep the system quiet i'm aware that Zen 2 isn't a great overclocker. Also AIO's aren't known for having long lasting parts. The Pumps tend to go first so that was another reason to look at custom. This build with be for 5+ years with some minor upgrades in between like GPU's and possibly more core cpus. Which will be Zen 3 when that time comes.

Markfw

May 16, 2002

The whole purpose for me looking at custom was to keep the system quiet i'm aware that Zen 2 isn't a great overclocker. Also AIO's aren't known for having long lasting parts. The Pumps tend to go first so that was another reason to look at custom. This build with be for 5+ years with some minor upgrades in between like GPU's and possibly more core cpus. Which will be Zen 3 when that time comes.
I am sure there are others, I just did a quick search for 140mm fan am4 compatible, and this one looks interesting for $90,

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002

Either of these
Arctic Freezer 34 Esports Duo
Cooler Master MasterAir MA410M

I have the smaller Cooler Master MasterAir MA410P cooling my 3800x and i have yet to hear it make noise. Tom's hardware likes the Artic Freezer, https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpu-coolers,4181.html

Reactions: Markfw and Makaveli

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
For that PC, don't skimp on only 16GB of RAM. Get 32GB.

That is the goal but I will start with 16 then in a few months go up to 32.

Also from what i've seen Ryzen performs well with all banks filled.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
I would vote for those... I only looked for 140mm fans, but that artic freezer looks awesome for $39 ! Shipped ! (newegg)
Agreed, i don't think it was out when i upgraded my cooler last black friday. The red version is $36 and free shipping on newegg.com

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
Either of these
Arctic Freezer 34 Esports Duo
Cooler Master MasterAir MA410M

I have the smaller Cooler Master MasterAir MA410P cooling my 3800x and i have yet to hear it make noise. Tom's hardware likes the Artic Freezer, https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpu-coolers,4181.html
Also Noctua have some great tower coolers, very nice. The be quiet! line is a little pricier but also quiet.

Ultimately if reliability is a worry, and @Makaveli you are worried about parts on an AIO breaking, the top tier of tower coolers are going to be more reliable, cheaper, and can be close to as good, as long as you're not doing massive / unstable OC.

Reactions: Ajay and Makaveli