Question AMD Rembrandt/Zen 3+ APU Speculation and Discussion

Page 52 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

izaic3

Nov 19, 2019
Alright, so we've had some leaks so far. I don't know if any of it's been confirmed yet, as it's pretty early, but here is what I've surmised so far (massive grain of salt of course):

If if turns out to have RDNA 2 and 12 CU, I could see iGPU performance potentially almost doubling over Cezanne.

If I've made any mistakes or gotten anything wrong, please let me know. I'd also love to hear more knowledgeable people weigh in on their expectations.

Last edited:

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Schenker's XMG is one of the smaller late launching brands that takes and sells standard ODM designs. On a der8auer video a Schenker employee had some insightful info regarding launch timing:

"Refresh models with AMD Ryzen 6000 are planned (e.g. XMG NEO 15) or under consideration. Generally speaking, models with AMD Ryzen 6000 will mostly launch after their Intel Core 12th Gen counterparts. This is due to the general R&D timeline of these generations. CPU supply forecasts have been placed. If everything goes well, we hope to be able to launch and ship the first Ryzen 6000 models before the end of Q2."

Reactions: Tlh97 and scineram

Joe NYC

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2021
As I posted earlier, the big one for Rembrandt would be Microsoft Surface.

Videocards has a story of Rembrandt being part of Surface 5 future announcement. It would be big news, since last version of Surface used Renoir, rather than Cezanne, so it would mean Zen2 to Zen3+ jump.

Part of the specs that makes no sense is that it uses LPDDR4, rather than 5, that would be necessary for Rembrandt, so story has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Microsoft Surface Laptop 5 allegedly features AMD Ryzen 7 6980U CPU and LPDDR4X memory - VideoCardz.com

Reactions: scineram

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005

6900hs with 6800s. It will be interesting to see how AMD’s new “power” play shakes out. 🥰

My oldest daughter told me she wants a gaming machine. Guess I will buy myself a new laptop and give her the “old” one. 😂

izaic3

Nov 19, 2019
Why throttling? At clean idle Intel is better (though that state is hard to achieve under Windows), at low usage since Renoir AMD is better.
Yeah that's true, I was thinking about the 1280p PL2 state, but you're right, that wouldn't really factor in if they're just doing a battery test and idling the laptop.

I'm thinking more in general on a Surface, how much throttling is going to happen, as I don't see a Surface being able to utilize much of the potential of the Intel, even while plugged in. But who knows, maybe they've found a good balance between cooling, thickness, and battery life for the Intel chips.

Reactions: moinmoin

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Slides shared by Andreas Schilling in there:

FLzcNUZXoAEfALD

FLzcNWnXoAcUWcy

FLzcNY3WUAIITuq

FLzdW5eWYAYO8XD

FLzdW5iXEAQM1TQ

FLzdW56XwAYrtMG

Decent SoC uncore update. I assume aside the Zen 3+ core (obviously) all of that is also in Van Gogh.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Huh, but expected for Youtube playback in combination with new Rembrandt APU/AMD VCN hardwer.

Here's the full review:

1645109839201.png

Zen3+ battery life is pretty great.

(Alienware x14 is similar laptop with 12700h, Razer Blade 14 has a 5900hx, and Gigabyte is a larger laptop with 12700h).

Edit:

Significant performance improvement at the same time as well:

ajNCMazTWBvPNnvvqXPoWd-970-80.png.webp

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Geizhals lists the first 5 laptop models with Rembrandt (all variants of ASUS ROG Flow X13 and Razer Blade 14 so far), none available for sale right now yet.

Battery life improvement here seems to be rather workload (and OEM)-dependent:

View attachment 57545
That should be rather obvious as the core is still mostly the same Zen 3 core. Efficiency of peak performance should be the same, but everything lower with partly idling areas and/or hardware accelerated software should see improvements.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Thibsie

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Battery life improvement here seems to be rather workload (and OEM)-dependent:

View attachment 57545

This is always the case as OEM's can greatly alter the power use behavior of the CPUs and GPUs. Gaming will of course be mostly dependent on the GPU power draw. It seems like the largest battery life increases for Zen3+ comes from video streaming which LTT tested exclusively for battery life and Tom's included in their battery life test. If you're just reloading a light website over and over, then the battery life will probably depend much more on your screen, networking power, and quick boost CPU power than when doing some actual work or watching videos.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

The G15 has a turbo mode which if enabled causes the power draw to sustain quite high, with some dGPU games having a big improvement.

Also they tested only one game with the IGP - Shadow of War - but the 680M was 65% faster than the 5700G on 1080p Low.

insertcarehere

Jan 17, 2013
This is always the case as OEM's can greatly alter the power use behavior of the CPUs and GPUs.

These tuning variances between OEMs are exactly why I compared the laptop to its direct predecessor.

battery1-ryzen-6000-performance.png

The Verge said:
Battery life remains an area where the G14 stands out, but I’m not quite as impressed as I have been in previous years. I averaged seven hours and 50 minutes of continuous work. The test involved using the device as my daily work driver, hopping around a dozen Chrome tabs with occasional slacking, video calls, and Spotify streaming overtop, with the screen around 200 nits of brightness. That’s not as long as I got from last year’s G14 (which gave me over nine and a half hours from the same workload) or from the G15 (which has a 90Wh battery to this unit’s 76Wh battery).

On mixed workloads the new G14 certainly doesn't seem to be an improvement in battery life vs the old G14.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
These tuning variances between OEMs are exactly why I compared the laptop to its direct predecessor.

On mixed workloads the new G14 certainly doesn't seem to be an improvement in battery life vs the old G14.

Hot hardware comparison shows good results since the new model has a higher resolution screen at twice the refresh rate which will have a large effect on battery life. Just because it's the same 'model' doesn't mean there weren't large updates across the entire system rather than just updating the CPU. Same with the Verge comments (never mind that their test isn't really scientific or reproducible from run to run) which are comparing an entire model that had different screens, GPUs, etc. They are comparing models, which is fine, but you have to take into account all the extras in the new model that eat into battery life which is what makes component comparisons so difficult when you are really testing the entire system.

Same goes for the tests showing much better battery life with the new models, as I mentioned, the much longer life appears to come mostly from video streaming which indicates that the increase comes largely from improved video decode rather than improvements to the cores themselves, though Tom's does a mix of video streaming and work which shines a good light on the SoC as well.

Reactions: lightmanek

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005

The reduction in battery time is similar to the reduction in battery size. Due to increased perf/watt of the chip as well as all the specupgrades, this actually means Rembrandt is more efficient.

AMD should double the L3 cache for the desktop version. It is too bad they won’t. I could see this destroying the 5800X.

EDIT: I really want a lightweight laptop similar to this with the 6980hs and the 6800s. Maybe a 16 inch model.