Question AMD Rembrandt/Zen 3+ APU Speculation and Discussion

Page 38 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

izaic3

Nov 19, 2019
Alright, so we've had some leaks so far. I don't know if any of it's been confirmed yet, as it's pretty early, but here is what I've surmised so far (massive grain of salt of course):

If if turns out to have RDNA 2 and 12 CU, I could see iGPU performance potentially almost doubling over Cezanne.

If I've made any mistakes or gotten anything wrong, please let me know. I'd also love to hear more knowledgeable people weigh in on their expectations.

Last edited:

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017

ahimsa42

Jul 16, 2016

ahimsa42

Jul 16, 2016

Posts in the CPU section must have original user content, and cannot simply be a link, quote, or image. Please review the additional CPU section rules in the sticky thread. -Moderator Shmee

Last edited by a moderator:

izaic3

Nov 19, 2019

Posts in the CPU section must have original user content, and cannot simply be a link, quote, or image. Please review the additional CPU section rules in the sticky thread. -Moderator Shmee
Well boys, looks like we got ourselves some gpu clocks over 2ghz!

izaic3

Nov 19, 2019

Looks like AV1 support made it after all!

TESKATLIPOKA

Platinum Member
May 1, 2020
CPU part doesn't look very interesting, could have increased L3 cache to 32MB and then shared It with IGP as Infinity cache. It would help performance.
IGP is very good, but I am surprised at only 6CU for R5, at best It will perform as Vega 8CU IGP.
For a pretty decent Full HD gaming, you need only Rembrandt APU with 12CU. Even 6800U has boost set at 2.2GHz and 12CU.
As a whole, It looks good.

P.S. I find It funny how in the previous generation, Intel had the better IGP and AMD the better CPU, and now It looks like It will be reversed. Intel will have the better CPU and AMD better IGP at >35W. If we talk about 15-28W then Rembrandt could be better even in CPU.

Shivansps: If your post was a reaction to my post, I edited my post to be more specific.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97

leoneazzurro

Jul 26, 2016
It seems that Rembrandt is coming as a very strong APU, only letdown being the 6 core versions being cut at a 6CU iGPU only (no intermediate versions, on one side this simplifies the segmentation, on the other it may create a gap too big between the APU versions). CPU power seems OK, both boost and base clocks substantially up for the U versions, boosts only are substantially up in the H versions and there should be some minor architectural improvement on top of that, too. 12CU versions' GPU seem quite powerful and there is a lot on connectivity too. Especially the U versions seem quite appealing. H versions may have a tougher time against ADL on the gaming laptop side.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
I dont think 6CU will be decent for FullHD at all... thats just slightly better than Vega 8, what is good, yeah, but i wouldnt call it decent. I was expecting the 6CU one to be saved for a "half RMB" Ryzen 3 SKU. On a R5 thats too big of a cut.

It also, likely, means half the RDNA2 L2 as well because RMB is 2x6CU with 2MB L2 each. The R5 may be 1x6.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Something, I have found not sure has been found yet here.

Rembrandt and Oberon+ share new LDO regulators.
ZeroCore is returning with SmartShift 2.0 w/ A+A configs (AMD APU+AMD dGPU); HW-controlled Z-state/ZeroCore-state

Last edited:

leoneazzurro

Jul 26, 2016
P.S. I find It funny how in the previous generation, Intel had the better IGP and AMD the better CPU, and now It looks like It will be reversed. Intel will have the better CPU and AMD better IGP at >35W. If we talk about 15-28W then Rembrandt could be better even in CPU.

It will depend on which power segment and budget we will look on. Rembrandt U seems quite fine in both CPU and GPU power. In the H segment the competition seems more on ADL's side (CPU wise).

movdx

May 19, 2019
I thought AMD learnt the lesson with cezanne and U models but I was wrong. Terrible segmentation on thin and light laptops.
I also thought that 6nm was better in supply than 7nm.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
I also thought that 6nm was better in supply than 7nm.
6nm's has less masks to print out, so wspm for N6 should be higher than N7. EUV SP is also faster than 193i for SAQP/SADP.

Effectively converting ~150,000 wspm of N7 to >190,000 wspm of N6, if fully converted. Basically, per phase/module N6 provides about >14,285 more wafers per month.

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012
Looks like AV1 support made it after all!

These are the earlier rumors, which said that Rembrandt APU does not have AV1 hardware decoder.It wouldn't make any sense without AV1 support.

There is no reason to complain about R5 with only 6CU RDNA iGPU.

If they could choose, i hope most customers or 100% would choose Cezanne APU infected with RDNA2 iGPU. :mask:

- R7 5700G, 6CU RDNA2, AVI support, 2ghz iGPU

- R7 5700G 8CU Vega, 2ghz iGPU

andermans

Sep 11, 2020
Then the 6nm supply goes somewhere else if you need for your U products to use your older parts.

I wonder if this is a supply issue at all? I'd rather bet segmentation, given that DDR5 still seems to be somewhat more expensive and that the 5000 series was also split between Renoir and Cezanne which use the same process.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
AV1? Didn't some people claim there is no AV1, what happened? Or is this a hybrid trickery?

Anyways the U series lineup is a big disappointment. Out of 5 new models only 2 Rembrandt and one of them has only 6 CUs instead of 12 and 300 Mhz less GPU clock, what the hell is this segmentation?

So there is basically only 1 option left for those who want a thin and light with a fast iGPU, this is a big bummer. Most of the H series get 12 CUs but who cares, they basically all get a dGPU.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
AV1? Didn't some people claim there is no AV1, what happened? Or is this a hybrid trickery?

Anyways the U series lineup is a big disappointment. Out of 5 new models only 2 Rembrandt and one of them has only 6 CUs instead of 12 and 300 Mhz less GPU clock, what the hell is this segmentation?

So there is basically only 1 option left for those who want a thin and light with a fast iGPU, this is a big bummer. Most of the H series get 12 CUs but who cares, they basically all get a dGPU.
VCN 3.1.1 never existed in the first place, was a jebait as far as we're concerned. VCN4 is what Rembrandt features.

Also I've said it before, I'll say it again. Rembrandt exists for the premium thin and light market first, the thin and light gaming market second and everything else a very distant third.

Want a budget thin and light? Buy Alder Lake-M.

Want a high power gaming laptop? Buy Alder Lake-P.