AMD R9 Fury X Coil Whine/Buzzing noise..

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
The whine is caused by the pump. Which has means the fury will not have it at all.

Ah, good.

I still wish they just shipped it with a damn water block... like the ARES III or something. Sure you'd have to have an existing loop but hey maybe less people would be returning them

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Ah, good.

I still wish they just shipped it with a damn water block... like the ARES III or something. Sure you'd have to have an existing loop but hey maybe less people would be returning them
Less people would purchase too maybe? I'd never have purchased with a wc block. Clc cooler though I would have purchased but too many reasons to list.

Don't think I even need a new card anymore and I already sunk cash into a ton of new parts for a server this weekend instead. About to see how much I have left over at the end of this week for a new card. My pc is finally in my bedroom on my projector now and I just best bioshock 2 so I need a new game and new card to run lol. Or it feels like it.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
BS2? You can run that with a 7800GT... try BS infinite with a decent mid-range card

h1ghst0r3y

Jul 6, 2015
I've already sent back the very first one unfortunatelly. But the only difference that i noticed was the pump cover.

All of them are from Germany, Place i rather not wanna tell until i got the money back on the second one :D

Also availability is rather good here as long as you don't go for the cheapest offer.

Last edited:

Th0rHere

Jul 3, 2015

2 cards, you must have a nice big case, i had to drill new holes in my storm trooper to move the h105 out of the way of the fury x radiator.

I got mine from PCCompenetes in spain and It's a Sapphire. I do like the Fury X, but damn why couldn't have AMD gotten the launch perfect, they really didn't need this.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
I noticed Tom's mentioned in their writeup last night on this issue that there pump noise settled down a bit after about 70 - 80 hrs of on time.....just an FYI for anyone that hasn't read it.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Latest official statement from AMD
We have received feedback that during open bench testing a small number of Fury X cards emit a sound from the high speed liquid cooling pump that, while not loud, is bothersome to some users. While the vast majority of initial Fury X owners report remarkably quiet operation, we take this feedback seriously, as AMD’s mission is to always deliver the best possible experience to our Radeon customers.

AMD Radeon R9 Fury X customers demand and deserve the best, so adjustments in the sound baffling adhesive compound were applied in the assembly of the high speed cooling pump to address the specific sound a few end users experienced as problematic. This improved the acoustic profile of the pump, and repeat testing shows the specific pitch/sound in question was largely reduced through adjustments to the sound-baffling adhesive compound in the pump.

AMD will work with its graphic card partners to ensure the satisfaction of the small number of initial customers who observed this specific sound and experienced it as bothersome. AMD is confident that on-going production of Radeon R9 Fury X product reduces the specific sound in question, but this is also a highly subjective matter with wide differences in PC case builds and room acoustics.

The AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury X radiator fan is near silent, and this makes any sound from the high-speed pump more noticeable to some end users, especially during open bench testing. Thus although the overall sound levels are remarkably low for an enthusiast product, AMD has worked to reduce the specific sound that some customers report as bothersome.

While they are playing it down, they are addressing it. Looks like it won't be an issue getting an RMA if you have a noisy pump.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Well mine is going back. Even though it wasn't the worst offender to me, I am concerned about the resale value of the original pump units. I convinced newegg to give me store credit instead of risking getting another bad pump unit. Loved the card, but don't have time to keep dealing with RMA's so the Fury X is going back and I have 2 980ti's inbound.

Th0rHere

Jul 3, 2015
I'm still having trouble getting an rma sorted with Sapphire.

The only responses I have gotten are from Facebook and the email address they gave me from there. No actual moment on the rma, or even a respone from the support ticket.

Startig to wish I just waited. Also AMD's poor attempt at down playing the issue are eve more of a conern. I was hoping AMD was better than that. If it really only was a small number of units l. Then a recall wouldn't have been that big of a deal, but marketing is more important that customer satisfaction and that shouldn't be the case with AMD right now. They should never lose focus from their customers. A bad experience can send them away for life.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Well mine is going back. Even though it wasn't the worst offender to me, I am concerned about the resale value of the original pump units. I convinced newegg to give me store credit instead of risking getting another bad pump unit. Loved the card, but don't have time to keep dealing with RMA's so the Fury X is going back and I have 2 980ti's inbound.

How was the noise at idle? As someone who watches a lot of Netflix or does office work on my main rig, I wonder if the idle noise is tolerable. Load noise would be drowned out by gaming or headphones. Idle - could be a deal breaker.

I need to pull out my H60 and power it up just to see if its as quiet as I remember it being.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Idle is the worst because the sound is just as loud at idle as it is at load. Like everyone says, its not the volume on the noise but the pitch that is the nuisance. I have many other Corsair AIO's and they make no such noise.

I would advise against a purchase until we know only revised pumps are in the channel unless you like gambling :)

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Idle is the worst because the sound is just as loud at idle as it is at load. Like everyone says, its not the volume on the noise but the pitch that is the nuisance. I have many other Corsair AIO's and they make no such noise.

I would advise against a purchase until we know only revised pumps are in the channel unless you like gambling :)

Part of me still wants a Fury X. But I've accepted if I get a Radeon (for whatever reason) it will most likely be a Nano.

I, will, however be putting my spare H60 on my 980 Ti once the Corsair bracket is available.

darkserith

Jun 24, 2015

Darn, how did you get Newegg to give you store credit? I asked them for store credit but they did not want to give it to me, because of their replacement only policy. Then again, I did use their online chat feature instead..maybe I should try giving them a call in-person?

I have to stick to AMD because I have a freesync monitor so I was thinking about getting store credit and using it to buy a regular Fury instead when it comes out next week..

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Darn, how did you get Newegg to give you store credit? I asked them for store credit but they did not want to give it to me, because of their replacement only policy. Then again, I did use their online chat feature instead..maybe I should try giving them a call in-person?

I have to stick to AMD because I have a freesync monitor so I was thinking about getting store credit and using it to buy a regular Fury instead when it comes out next week..

I used the chat as well, but I am a Newegg Premier member so maybe that helped my cause.

darkserith

Jun 24, 2015
I used the chat as well, but I am a Newegg Premier member so maybe that helped my cause.

I'm gonna send it off for a second replacement this friday, on 7/10/15. Hopefully that is enough time to transpire for me to get revised fury x instead.

I will then get my third Fury X next week. If I have the exact same problem next week, then hopefully THAT will convince them to give me store credit instead lol. I'll be like "come on, you surely don't expect me to play this game forever right? you'll be losing a lot of money shipping it back and forth like this."

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
EK is launching a waterblock for the Fury X. Problem solved.

Fury_X_banner.jpg

That does look nice... single slot as well, but, expensive.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
I'm still having trouble getting an rma sorted with Sapphire.

The only responses I have gotten are from Facebook and the email address they gave me from there. No actual moment on the rma, or even a respone from the support ticket.

Startig to wish I just waited. Also AMD's poor attempt at down playing the issue are eve more of a conern. I was hoping AMD was better than that. If it really only was a small number of units l. Then a recall wouldn't have been that big of a deal, but marketing is more important that customer satisfaction and that shouldn't be the case with AMD right now. They should never lose focus from their customers. A bad experience can send them away for life.

AMD has said they'd work with the AIB's, so if it's a problem for you, they will takes care of it. What more exactly do you want? Besides, why don't you RMA with the (r)etailer if it's too much hassle to use Sapphire?