AMD R9 Fury X Coil Whine/Buzzing noise..

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

darkserith

Jun 24, 2015
I do hear the whine but man you must be really sensitive to it. That particular sound wouldn't bother me. I have a Laing D5 pump (which is a much bigger and louder pump than the one on your card) on the middle setting and it drones a bit with the front door open but then my Fractal R4 does a decent job of muffling the sound when the door is closed...don't even notice it when I'm near the computer. I say just enjoy the card, play some games (that will drown out the noise), and don't hang around your computer lol :D

EDIT: On second thought it is kinda bad. You're 100% sure that is the card making that noise?

Yeah. Look at my video WITHOUT my R9 Fury X. Its so damn quiet, R9 280x at idle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfminqAIl_4

Compare to the R9 Fury X at IDLE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF7HBILzXtM

There is a difference, right? Pls respond :)

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
I do hear the whine but man you must be really sensitive to it. That particular sound wouldn't bother me. I have a Laing D5 pump (which is a much bigger and louder pump than the one on your card) on the middle setting and it drones a bit with the front door open but then my Fractal R4 does a decent job of muffling the sound when the door is closed...don't even notice it when I'm near the computer. I say just enjoy the card, play some games (that will drown out the noise), and don't hang around your computer lol :D

EDIT: On second thought it is kinda bad. You're 100% sure that is the card making that noise?

Yeah. Look at my video WITHOUT my R9 Fury X. Its so damn quiet, R9 280x at idle:

Damn, you got two noises. The pump bubbles noise and a clear whine.

At idle, that is definitely loud. When you were at your desktop (ie normal distance) I could clearly hear it. Your rig is probably same distance as mine to me. However, I think my case fans are probably louder...though I honestly can't tell anymore haha.

Watching your 280X video, yerp - that is a difference. I'm now paranoid my hybrid attempt will go sour haha. But I can only hear the noise from my fans on my rig, not my H110i.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005

Yeah it's definitely there. Hope you get a quiet one eventually.

How is your rad mounted? If you have bubbles trapped near the pump, that could create some noise as well. I wonder if the odd mounting in that case is causing some bubbles to get trapped near the front of the card. Is there any way you could tilt the case so that the card lies parallel with the ground, even for just a bit?

Last edited:

darkserith

Jun 24, 2015
Yeah it's definitely there. Hope you get a quiet one eventually.

How is your rad mounted? If you have bubbles trapped near the pump, that could create some noise as well. I wonder if the odd mounting in that case is causing some bubbles to get trapped near the front of the card. Is there any way you could tilt the case so that the card lies parallel with the ground, even for just a bit?

Watch this vid showing the R9 Fury X at 100% load, from 1:03 you can see the radiator mount position (already set the youtube link to start at 1:03):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEg8DiOV6GA&t=1m3s

I've tried tilting the case so that the side panels lie flat on the floor, affectively making the card parallel to the ground. The noise doesn't change at all.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
That sound would drive me bat shit crazy,as they all do these cheap shitty aio pumps.Ive not watercooled yet,im guessing they sound a lot less tinnitus inducing garbage than these aios are,but hey i doubt that.Im running my rig with no fans at all(turnesd off the shock!).and my 290 is quietish with a fan curve(upto 90c then all hell breaks loose).:p.

Last edited:

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Good lord that's terrible. I've used primarily Laing DDC pumps and they can make a hum at full blast (I liken it to a mid range tone that a movie might use for a hover car), but that high pitched noise is awful. At least in the case of normal water cooling pumps you can acoustically isolate them with grommets. I have mine in my 900D on an XSPC pump stand with rubber grommets and it's silent.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
That sound would drive me bat shit crazy,as they all do these cheap shitty aio pumps.Ive not watercooled yet,im guessing they sound a lot less tinnitus inducing garbage than these aios are,but hey i doubt that.Im running my rig with no fans at all(turnesd off the shock!).and my 290 is quietish with a fan curve(upto 90c then all hell breaks loose).:p.

Yeah, I turned off my case fans and the H110i fans(my god CPU temps climb fast) leaving just the GPU ref fan on (I don't think I can turn it off?) it was already at 20% anyways.

I can not hear my H110i over the 980 ti ref blower.

EDIT:

Good lord that's terrible. I've used primarily Laing DDC pumps and they can make a hum at full blast (I liken it to a mid range tone that a movie might use for a hover car), but that high pitched noise is awful. At least in the case of normal water cooling pumps you can acoustically isolate them with grommets. I have mine in my 900D on an XSPC pump stand with rubber grommets and it's silent.

My Corsair 780T has rubber comments for fans. My H110 is screwed through too. And the CPU bracket I used the accompanied rubber washers.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Shit,just to clarify my cpu cooler fans and my g card fans are still running.just stopped my case fans.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Watch this vid showing the R9 Fury X at 100% load, from 1:03 you can see the radiator mount position (already set the youtube link to start at 1:03):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEg8DiOV6GA&t=1m3s

I've tried tilting the case so that the side panels lie flat on the floor, affectively making the card parallel to the ground. The noise doesn't change at all.

Have you tried tilting the case "back" so the card is parallel? If you tilted it on its side, depending on which tube is inlet/outlet, it might still have air trapped, UNLESS you tilted it on BOTH sides. Just something to try, may or may not be the problem.

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008

this is not true. I have no idea what is up with the coolmaster on fury

Yeah, I turned off my case fans and the H110i fans(my god CPU temps climb fast) leaving just the GPU ref fan on (I don't think I can turn it off?) it was already at 20% anyways.

I can not hear my H110i over the 980 ti ref blower.

EDIT:

My Corsair 780T has rubber comments for fans. My H110 is screwed through too. And the CPU bracket I used the accompanied rubber washers.

My LQ320 has no whine either. the only thing i ever here is the swooshing of air when the fan ramps up to 1500-1700rpm. It cancels out my 980 completely.

Even now, after hearing that closed loops make a whine, i do not hear that

Eymar

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2001
Definitely not issue with how rad is installed. The sound I hear in both darkserith's youtube videos and review sample in pcper: https://s3.amazonaws.com/pcper-articlecontent/merged.wav (first sample). It's not loud db wise, but the frequency is irritating. From this graph it looks like the 3 spikes around 4000, 6000, 9000hz is annoying: http://www.pcper.com/image/view/58460?return=node/63319. If you play the linked waveform in audacity and set equalizer to filter out anything below 4000hz, this should help if you hear the noise or not. Since frequency is above most pump speeds, it has to be something electrical (coil noise?). Sound goes away when disconnect power connector of pump so definitely a pump issue. For now just opened up the top and put soft plastic foam in place of cover which helps make it a mild annoyance.

Th0rHere

Jul 3, 2015
Just got my card installed two days ago, I didn't have a long time to play around with it.

Anyway, Finally today I got to check it out in a quiet environment. The Pump whine is insanely loud on this. I can hear it as soon as my computer is turned on. It reminds me of when someone is using a vacuum cleaner downstairs with the door closed.

I have recorded the sound with my Zoom H1 and uploaded it. I listened back to it with earphones, and I could clearly hear it again.

Here it is.

AMD Fury X Pump Whine

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
So, I was on the crapper and I started to wonder...

What are AIO CLC's rated for? What i mean is, is it possible to keep the GPU cool the pump is working harder/faster than it would it were used for a CPU?

Just wondering if perhaps the pump isn't robust enough for keeping Fiji XT cooled and they had to juice it to keep up? Would lead to undesired coil whine and possible noise from excess fizz/bubbles.

I forgot which reviewer said you can control the fan/pump through AMD CCC - has anyone tried running it on the lowest possible setting?

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Most water cooling components don't see many gains over 1GPM. Not that faster hurts, but that's about where you need to be and beyond that you're not seeing much gain.

Running the pump faster on an undersized system won't do much good. I don't think this is the problem, though. Without seeing inside the waterblock, I can only assume it's a decent design. The radiator should do pretty decent at removing the GPU's heat, but keep in mind I have more than 3x the radiator (thicker, and 360mm) to cool my 980 Ti so I consider it to be a bit undersized. My radiator is tested at round 500w heat dissipation, so that AMD claims 500w rating for theirs is laughable without ridiculously high delta T which means quite high silicon temps, which defeats the purpose (IMO) of watercooling to start with.

It could just be that it's such a tiny pump, but other AIOs don't suffer the problem. I wonder what's different in this model since you would expect them to use a drop in solution from other AIOs. Whatever the case, they screwed up. My Laing DDC, which is a pretty small footprint pump, makes much less noise than that and I guarantee pushes a lot more head and flow.

Last edited:

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
this is not true. I have no idea what is up with the coolmaster on fury

My LQ320 has no whine either. the only thing i ever here is the swooshing of air when the fan ramps up to 1500-1700rpm. It cancels out my 980 completely.

Even now, after hearing that closed loops make a whine, i do not hear that

christ nvm

Last edited:

darkserith

Jun 24, 2015
Definitely not issue with how rad is installed. The sound I hear in both darkserith's youtube videos and review sample in pcper: https://s3.amazonaws.com/pcper-articlecontent/merged.wav (first sample). It's not loud db wise, but the frequency is irritating. From this graph it looks like the 3 spikes around 4000, 6000, 9000hz is annoying: http://www.pcper.com/image/view/58460?return=node/63319. If you play the linked waveform in audacity and set equalizer to filter out anything below 4000hz, this should help if you hear the noise or not. Since frequency is above most pump speeds, it has to be something electrical (coil noise?). Sound goes away when disconnect power connector of pump so definitely a pump issue. For now just opened up the top and put soft plastic foam in place of cover which helps make it a mild annoyance.

Hey, you must have been able to open the front plate. Do you know the size of the allen wrench/hex key you need in order to open the front plate? The smallest allen wrench i have is size "1/16". And it doesn't work.

I can go to walmart right now and pick up a set with an allen wrench of size 0.05 (which is smaller than 1/16 = 0.0625) but i don't know if this would work either.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Most water cooling components don't see many gains over 1GPM. Not that faster hurts, but that's about where you need to be and beyond that you're not seeing much gain.

Running the pump faster on an undersized system won't do much good. I don't think this is the problem, though. Without seeing inside the waterblock, I can only assume it's a decent design. The radiator should do pretty decent at removing the GPU's heat, but keep in mind I have more than 3x the radiator (thicker, and 360mm) to cool my 980 Ti so I consider it to be a bit undersized. My radiator is tested at round 500w heat dissipation, so that AMD claims 500w rating for theirs is laughable without ridiculously high delta T which means quite high silicon temps, which defeats the purpose (IMO) of watercooling to start with.

It could just be that it's such a tiny pump, but other AIOs don't suffer the problem. I wonder what's different in this model since you would expect them to use a drop in solution from other AIOs. Whatever the case, they screwed up. My Laing DDC, which is a pretty small footprint pump, makes much less noise than that and I guarantee pushes a lot more head and flow.

Well then, I personally can't think of what could cause the noise. Beside it being poorly mounted some where causing it to vibrate (ala car breaks), but that would be more of a squeal/coil whine than the bubbles noise.

darkserith

Jun 24, 2015

Awesome.

The kit i can buy at walmart has size 1.5mm as its smallest as well.

I'll have the answer you've all been waiting for in a couple of hours when I buy it at walmart.

Although which pump I have is painfully obvious in my mind...

EDIT:
Changed my mind about walmart ordering. I'm going to order a set from Amazon instead, which will get to me on July 5, 2015, Sunday, through the special amazon Prime sunday delivery. Sorry guys! I won't know which pump I have until 7/5/15.

Kit cost 8.11. It's a good one because it has sizes even smaller then 1.5mm (0.7mm and 0.9mm) just in case, i want to be on the safe side.

Last edited:

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
SO the Fury X has a loud pump/cooler? WOw, I'm starting to feel sorry for AMD now, they can't catch a break.

Ire123

Nov 9, 2012
Just got my card installed two days ago, I didn't have a long time to play around with it.

Anyway, Finally today I got to check it out in a quiet environment. The Pump whine is insanely loud on this. I can hear it as soon as my computer is turned on. It reminds me of when someone is using a vacuum cleaner downstairs with the door closed.

I have recorded the sound with my Zoom H1 and uploaded it. I listened back to it with earphones, and I could clearly hear it again.

Here it is.

AMD Fury X Pump Whine

IMO, your pump is pretty quiet compared to other's. In your vid, the fan's hum/vibration noise seems to be louder to me. Can you try and stop the fan?

Edit: I mean the fury's fan.

Last edited:

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
AMD has stated some of the cooler master pumps are making noise when they should not. One of the reviewers had a card that did this. May be worth contacting the company that made your card.

I have never owned a cooler master pump, but my Corsair pump is silent.

Coil whine is normal for every single GPU on the market. If it only does it without a frame limiter, limit the frames. If its doing it at 60fps, then its worse than it should be. Either needs the caps glued or just RMA it. But your RMA may take a while as supplies are short.

The only time that I've had noticeable coil whine from either AMD or NV over the past 16 years was ~ 5 years ago. The loading screen on nwn2 had a bug and would get rendered at something stupid like 3k fps, and the coils on my gpu (I think I had a 3870 back then) would get extremely loud. So I set the program up to cap at 60 fps, and the noise went away.

Thanks for the help though everyone. My only concern is whether or not Newegg will accept or reject my RMA... There is a replacement only policy with this card. However, CS has told me I would be given a full refund if a replacement wasn't' available when they get my RMA...this is likely sin e the fury s is so scarce right now.

Just be glad that you bought from newegg. There aren't many companies that do a better job of treating their customers right, you can be confident that they'll take care of you.

Last edited:

darkserith

Jun 24, 2015
The only time that I've had noticeable coil whine from either AMD or NV over the past 16 years was ~ 5 years ago. The loading screen on nwn2 had a bug and would get rendered at something stupid like 3k fps, and the coils on my gpu (I think I had a 3870 back then) would get extremely loud. So I set the program up to cap at 60 fps, and the noise went away.

Just be glad that you bought from newegg. There aren't many companies that do a better job of treating their customers right, you can be confident that they'll take care of you.

True...newegg has been great. They got my first fury x RMA on 6/30/15 and sent me out a new one promptly on 7/1/15, even though they were out of stock per the website!o_O

I will have to RMA my second fury x though, per my new updated noise videos. Especially once I confirm that my second fury x has the old unrevised cooler master pump. I'm sure newegg will handle this second RMA efficiently as well.

Th0rHere

Jul 3, 2015
IMO, your pump is pretty quiet compared to other's. In your vid, the fan's hum/vibration noise seems to be louder to me. Can you try and stop the fan?

Edit: I mean the fury's fan.

Yeah, sorry about that. I had the microphone sitting my my psu and it was picking up the fan from that trough the plastic. You really can't touch that mic without it picking it up.

The issue isn't so much the loudness but that high pitched whine. Its not loud per se, but is extremely obvious and it's impossible to ignore and actually gives me a headache if I hear it for too long.

I'm reaching out to sapphire to get it replaced as soon as possible but I have read some horror stories with their customer care. Im always checking with AMD to see if they can do anything.

darkserith

Jun 24, 2015
Yeah, sorry about that. I had the microphone sitting my my psu and it was picking up the fan from that trough the plastic. You really can't touch that mic without it picking it up.

The issue isn't so much the loudness but that high pitched whine. Its not loud per se, but is extremely obvious and it's impossible to ignore and actually gives me a headache if I hear it for too long.

I'm reaching out to sapphire to get it replaced as soon as possible but I have read some horror stories with their customer care. Im always checking with AMD to see if they can do anything.

^This. The card is not loud, it's just the high pitched whine..its like a constant ringing in your ears. I don't get headaches, but rather, my ear drums hurt after hearing it for a while. I hope i'm not damaging my hearing by listening to this.

If anyone's played Call of Duty, think of the sound that is made after a flashbang goes off. That's what the ringing sound of my Fury X sounds like. Except this time, the noise doesn't go away after a few seconds. It's there, and it won't go away until you turn off the computer/put it to sleep. Again, hard to pick up on camera, have to hear it in real life.

To me, Its the sort of noise that, even after turning off your computer, you keep having this ringing noise in your head/ear everywhere go, until it wears off after a while.

Although, I have decided to just blast music anytime i'm on my desktop (for gaming), in order to drown out the whining noise.

If i'm doing anything OTHER than gaming, i will use my macbook pro instead. Desktop for gaming, with music blasting in the background only.

I'd RMA to newegg right now but i'm afraid they will just send me another replacement with the same issue. So i'm going to wait a bit, then RMA, to ensure that I have a Fury X from a batch with the revised, non squealing pump.

Last edited: