AMD launches Ryzen Mobile 7 2700U & 5 2500U with Vega Graphics

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

neblogai

Oct 29, 2017
How lovely, just again single stick of memory which of course improve greatly performance of really strong IGP./s

Actually- no sticks of memory- you get whatever memory is soldered on, in proper dual channel mode. Specs (in the beggining of the review, and also in many European shops) were misleading.

piesquared

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2006
Wow, that is impressive. Wasn't there some rumours that Apple wanted AMD in their next gen macbooks? Now i see why. Slam them into a MB Pro 13 inch and that's a beast.

Yes it is impressive. Imagine if 1/2 year ago somebody would have said that by the end of 2017 AMD would have the best mobile processor available. It will indeed be interesting to see if Apple wants the second best or the premier processor on the market. Given their close cooperation with AMD for their GPUs there is a good chance the 2700U will find a place somewhere at Apple.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Wow, that is impressive. Wasn't there some rumours that Apple wanted AMD in their next gen macbooks? Now i see why. Slam them into a MB Pro 13 inch and that's a beast.
Isn't 2700U a 15W TDP APU?

It would fit in MacBook Air. MBPs 13 inch has 35 TDP headroom(possibly even 45W), and 15 inch up to 70-80W.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Yes it is impressive. Imagine if 1/2 year ago somebody would have said that by the end of 2017 AMD would have the best mobile processor available. It will indeed be interesting to see if Apple wants the second best or the premier processor on the market. Given their close cooperation with AMD for their GPUs there is a good chance the 2700U will find a place somewhere at Apple.

I think Apple prefers a single vendor for simplicity, note that this also benefits AMD on the GPU side where NVidia has been locked out for years. Years when almost no one else was putting AMD GPUs in laptops.

So I don't expect Apple will start using AMD CPUs, though I would like it.

I think Raven Ridge would make a perfect CPU for a much needed Mac Mini refresh.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
I think Apple prefers a single vendor for simplicity, note that this also benefits AMD on the GPU side where NVidia has been locked out for years. Years when almost no one else was putting AMD GPUs in laptops.

I think Raven Ridge would make a perfect CPU for a much needed Mac Mini refresh.
Before that they would use their own CPUs instead of depending on the rest...

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Before that they would use their own CPUs instead of depending on the rest...

No they wouldn't. Raven Ridge is x86 compatible and would essentially be a drop in replacement for Intel, with a nice boost in GPU performance.

Mixing ARM with MacOS would just create pointless havoc in the ecosystem.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
For the 2500U (and 2700U) what kind of CPU and GPU clocks are the processors getting under a combined (Eg, gaming) load?

neblogai

Oct 29, 2017
For the 2500U (and 2700U) what kind of CPU and GPU clocks are the processors getting under a combined (Eg, gaming) load?

With ~25W for the 2500U, (HP x360), CPU clocks in most games stay between 2.0GHz and 2.8GHz, at 2.3-2.5GHz most of the time. GPU clocks are unknown, as no tool can read them (nor total VRAM allocation).
In general- 25W is enough to power GPU and CPU in most games- but games that are really heavy on both CPU and GPU do struggle to power both at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Burpo and cbn

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016

Apple does not prefer a single vendor, ever. They always prefer to have a second source. They sourced both Nvidia and AMD GPUs for years. The only reason that stopped was because nvidia's patent trolling lawyers had the brilliant idea to sue Apple and lost big time. Nvidia ended up losing millions in legal fees and billions of dollars in revenue, while being completely locked out of Apple computers for ever more. It was probably the worst business decision they've made in the last decade, worse even than lying about the specs of their GPUs with the GTX 970.

The only reason Apple didn't source CPUs from AMD is the performance differential was too great between them and intel's offerings, and AMD's capacity to produce large numbers of chips was insufficient for Apple's purposes. This will probably change in the future now that Ryzen is effectively equal in performance to Intel's offerings, or even better on the server side. The first Apple devices to be offered with AMD cpus will likely be Mac Pros with Epyc, since Epyc would actually offer a big improvement over intel in cost, I/O, and ram capacity.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
. The only reason that stopped was because nvidia's patent trolling lawyers had the brilliant idea to sue Apple and lost big time. Nvidia ended up losing millions in legal fees and billions of dollars in revenue, while being completely locked out of Apple computers for ever more. It was probably the worst business decision they've made in the last decade, worse even than lying about the specs of their GPUs with the GTX 970.

I don't remember that one. Link on it?

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
I don't remember that one. Link on it?

Seems in my recollection I mixed up multiple failures of nvidia's patent trolling with a specific legal dispute Apple lost over Macbook GPUs.

Nvidia caused a huge issue by providing apple with defective macbook GPUs that ended up costing Apple a ton of money, which nvidia refused to reimburse Apple for. This seems to be what precipitated their removal from all Apple products.

https://www.geek.com/apple/apple-loses-court-case-on-defective-nvidia-gpus-in-macbooks-1484061/

In addition, nvidia repeatedly filed patent lawsuits against some of Apple's closest partners, including Samsung and Qualcomm, and lost.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-invent-gpu-itc-court-rules-samsungs-favor/

http://www.techeye.net/news/nvidias-patent-trolling-flops

Apple does not want to deal with having defective nvidia products which nvidia then refuses to replace or reimburse Apple for, and Apple does not like seeing its partners drawn into frivolous legal disputes that cost large sums of money to fight with zero actual gain for any of the companies involved. Thus, Apple has decided nvidia will no longer be a partner for any future products.

Apple has always sought a second source for all of the components it uses in both Macs and iOS devices. This is a well known fact. Apple sources from both Samsung and TSMC foundries. They source from both Qualcomm and intel for modems. They source from both Finisar and Lumentum for optoelectronics. They source from both Broadcom and Skyworks for ISPs and digitizers. If it wasn't for nvidia's scandalous business and practices, they would continue to source from both AMD and nvidia for GPUs.

You must not know much about Apple to claim they "prefer a single vendor".

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Seems like a pattern.

Uh huh. Much like your pattern of making repeated incorrect assertions about Apple. Why do you think they "prefer a single vendor" again? What evidence was there for that assertion?

Seems like your views on the whole tech industry are prefaced with "how is this good for nvidia/intel".

Lodix

Jun 24, 2016
Apple always tries to have relations with more more than one supplier to make them compete in price and quality.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Apple always tries to have relations with more more than one supplier to make them compete in price and quality.

I agree when you are talking about drop in commodity parts. But CPUs and especially GPUs are not commodity drop in parts. They don't perform identically, and for GPUs you need completely different drivers.

In that case it is much simpler to have only one motherboard, and only one set of drivers to work with.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Last edited:
Reactions: lightmanek

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012

Suijin

Aug 19, 2015
So for $600 you can get an aspire with 8250U and MX150 vs swift with just 8250U for $700.

What makes the swift better?