News AMD Announces Radeon VII

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
So got my new Radeon VII last night and put it on my test bench.

650W evga psu
2 separate 8 pin power cables to the card

Tried reseating the card, reseating the pcie power cables.

Thoughts? dud card?

Have any higher wattage PSU's? 650W seems like the bare minimum if we're talking about a beefy bench machine... could explain why 2D works but 3D doesn't.

EDIT: just looked, AMD website states 750W minimum

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Have any higher wattage PSU's? 650W seems like the bare minimum if we're talking about a beefy bench machine... could explain why 2D works but 3D doesn't.

EDIT: just looked, AMD website states 750W minimum

It's more about what amps the PSU can supply on the rails. AMD and Nvidia both typically overspec on PSUs because they have to cover for the fact that there are crap PSUs out there that use some dubious tricks to get to their power rating.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
yeah I do.....the 650w ran a 290 and 1080ti mining for months without an issue and this is happening at just the windows desktop. can't even try a 3d load as the driver wont start. hard to believe its the problem, but possible

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
What happened? Did your 2080Ti die? Please tell me it didn't.

It isn't dead dead, it's just a $1200 IGP now. Haha. Well, I guess better than IGP, but definitely not a gaming card anymore. See where my RMA ticket goes (ties into the other thread, some what.)

I'm sorry man, my condolences. The Space Invaders are the real heroes.

Yeah, I honestly didn't look too much into issues. My card worked fine when I tried, gave it a good push and found my stable clocks. I started to noticed that WoW (after the DX12 update) started to lock my frame buffer if I adjusted the settings. Assumed it was a driver issue. As the card got worse, I only got space invaders 4 times, every time running it stock), the frame would just keep freezing. Game would work, I can chat with guildmates, but obviously my screen was frozen. C'est la vie.

Swung by Microcenter to get a replacement card, I wanted to pick up a Radeon 7 to tinker with but guess my store didn't get many in stock, clerk (I rarely believe them now but still they have to say something) said they got like 8 total. Oh well. Finally gonna rock a RX 580! I got a 290X in the basement PC in a Frankenstein water loop, I don't want to drain two loops and I need stuff on my PC so back up card to the rescue!

Reactions: lightmanek

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
yeah I do.....the 650w ran a 290 and 1080ti mining for months without an issue and this is happening at just the windows desktop. can't even try a 3d load as the driver wont start. hard to believe its the problem, but possible

Hope it's a simple fix. I recall you got a bad RTX too. When you lose the silicon lottery, it sure does suck. My first 1080 had something wrong with it, now my 2080 Ti has something wrong with it. You know what never game me duds? ATI! Haha. Well, I'm sure they had duds, but I never got them! So RIP ATI, I miss you.

Reactions: n0x1ous

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
It's more about what amps the PSU can supply on the rails. AMD and Nvidia both typically overspec on PSUs because they have to cover for the fact that there are crap PSUs out there that use some dubious tricks to get to their power rating.

I know. But power supplies aren't advertised in amps.

I'd still try at least a 700W single rail PSU.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I've had a bad card exhibit this exact same behavior. Basically when running 2d mode, it works fine, but with the full drivers it tries to run 3d effects and craps out. Could still be a driver issue, but could be a bad card symptom too.
I had the exact problem on a card that had modded bios for mining. I restored the original bios, and the first flash it still had that exact problem, but with a few tweaks (I forget what I did) the card then worked fine. So this new UEFI bios that AMD JUST released like tuesday or wednesday could fix your problem. Look at the AMD thread, there are links to the bios.

@n0x1ous THAT is most likely the problem. (the bios, see above)

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Interesting. The test bench is an old core 2 775 platform with no uefi support so wouldn’t think it would be a factor but I suppose I should flash it anyway

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hope it's a simple fix. I recall you got a bad RTX too. When you lose the silicon lottery, it sure does suck. My first 1080 had something wrong with it, now my 2080 Ti has something wrong with it. You know what never game me duds? ATI! Haha. Well, I'm sure they had duds, but I never got them! So RIP ATI, I miss you.
AMD/ATI has somewhat of a reputation for cards that draw a lot of power, but guess what, they also have a reputation for cards with over-built VRM and power sections. Thus, they tend to die less. IMHO. Of course, I've got a stone-dead RX 460 here, which is kind of weird, that's not even a very high-powered card to begin with.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
so card works fine in another system, however the system would not output anything to the monitor until the driver was installed. Fortunately I had remote control software on this other PC so was able to attach that way and install 19.2.2

Other cards work fine in test bench that isn't working with VII. It "feels" like this lack of UEFI and preboot GOP MAY be the problem here? The weird thing is that i did get basic output to the monitor when it was in the test bench with microsoft basic display adapter.......

Thoughts? I am leaning towards waiting till AMD releases the bios update on AMD.com. Also, its every annoying that this thing isnt recognized by any monitoring software.....

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
the plot thickens. took a vega 64 liquid on the bench and it behaves the same as the VII did. then I put a 1080ti on the bench and its completely fine. My bench just hates Vega or what? so weird

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
AMD/ATI has somewhat of a reputation for cards that draw a lot of power, but guess what, they also have a reputation for cards with over-built VRM and power sections. Thus, they tend to die less. IMHO. Of course, I've got a stone-dead RX 460 here, which is kind of weird, that's not even a very high-powered card to begin with.

ATI was amazing! Once the name went away, they started slipping! I regret never holding on to my 9700 Pro. <3 that card.

On the side of power draw, and yada, not sure what's going on here but woof does this little thing get loud! Not slamming it (I water cool mostly now forgot what air cooled cards CAN sound like.) I don't even get why the fan stayed so high long after I exited my game. I took the snapshot a little after, it was at 95% fan speed when the temps were 75C, which is understandable, but they stayed at 95% for like a solid minute after the temps dropped haha.

Attachments

• YSOHI.PNG
    YSOHI.PNG
    430.5 KB · Views: 31

Feld

Aug 6, 2015
the plot thickens. took a vega 64 liquid on the bench and it behaves the same as the VII did. then I put a 1080ti on the bench and its completely fine. My bench just hates Vega or what? so weird
That would probably lend credence to the theory your PSU can't handle the loads it used to anymore. But I wouldn't rule out the BIOS issue yet either.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

Yeah I figured it might be the test bench. Radeon VII is built like a brick, and given how few of them there are, I doubt anything bad got out of testing. Glad your card works.

It isn't dead dead, it's just a $1200 IGP now. Haha. Well, I guess better than IGP, but definitely not a gaming card anymore. See where my RMA ticket goes (ties into the other thread, some what.)

I'm sorry man. Hate to see that kind of thing happen to anyone. Way too many people on this forum are getting burned by the invaders.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
If you really want one, set up alerts for yourself on nowinstock.net - it worked for me and I got an order in with Amazon last night.

Nope not in a hurry, there is nothing to play anyways since I am boycotting Metro Exodus for now and I am sure my current Radeon R9 Fury can handle anything for now.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Nope not in a hurry, there is nothing to play anyways since I am boycotting Metro Exodus for now and I am sure my current Radeon R9 Fury can handle anything for now.

Looks like there is another wave of cards headed for shelves by March. Dunno how long those will last.

May 13, 2009
Just curious why this is oos everywhere? I'm all for the underdog but can't you get more performance from nvidia at the same money? Just curious why it's such a hot seller.