News AMD Announces Radeon VII

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
25% - 42% performance increase over Vega64 in 3 modern games.

Seems like it should be ~ RTX 2070 in traditional games.

Triple fan, non-blower design.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
kAUJsoW.png

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005
25% - 42% performance increase over Vega64 in 3 modern games.

Seems like it should be ~ RTX 2070 in traditional games.

Triple fan, non-blower design.

25% better performance would put it at ~RTX 2080, maybe a bit less depending on resolution.

Vega 7nm though... I wonder how expensive it will be.

Reactions: happy medium

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
25% better performance would put it at ~RTX 2080, maybe a bit less depending on resolution.

it does according to AMD themselves but that is too slow IMHO. Yeah 2080 is expensive but 16 GB of HBM2 will also cost a lot. I doubt they can offer that cheaper than a 2080.

ub4ty

Jun 21, 2017
it does according to AMD themselves but that is too slow IMHO. Yeah 2080 is expensive but 16 GB of HBM2 will also cost a lot. I doubt they can offer that cheaper than a 2080.

The 2080 is a very expensive card as is the 2080ti. I'm sure they can given how absurdly they're priced. HBM2 nor GDDR6 are that expensive. Nvidia is just greedy and gimps the memory footprint to establish artificial segmentation. Also, I'm sure this AMD GPU will come in 8GB sizing

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011

Hopefully they have something more than this or that more details about future products come out after the keynote. This is really no different from the initial Vega launch where they come in short of the competition. The only difference is that this time NVidia has jacked up their prices so much, that a Vega card at $600 doesn't seem like a complete turd.

Edit: Just to clarify, I don't know what the price is, I'm just using it as a point of reference.

Last edited:

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Hopefully they have something more than this or that more details about future products come out after the keynote. This is really no different from the initial Vega launch where they come in short of the competition. The only difference is that this time NVidia has jacked up their prices so much, that a Vega card at $600 doesn't seem like a complete turd.

I could very well be wrong, but I don't expect Navi until the end of the year so I don't think we'll hear much about it until later. Maybe a mention of it as a future product coming later. RX7 seems like a decent holdover considering where they stand today but obviously isn't that exciting in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: UsandThem

ub4ty

Jun 21, 2017
I'm happy to see 7nm on consumer GPU and that they're willing to push the memory footprint.
The clocks look really nice. However, just like Nvidia, I'll reserve judgement until I hear more details and its formally reviewed. Not much to critique for now as there are no more specific details. The specs look good and are in excess of Nvidia on compute. It wasn't specified as PCIE 4.0 and no CCX compatibility discussed. A nice surprise that they announced the world's first 7nm GPU. Still need to hear lots more info/etc.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I'm happy to see 7nm on consumer GPU and that they're willing to push the memory footprint.
The clocks look really nice. However, just like Nvidia, I'll reserve judgement until I hear more details and its formally reviewed. Not much to critique for now as there are no more specific details. The specs look good and are in excess of Nvidia on compute. It wasn't specified as PCIE 4.0 and no CCX compatibility discussed. A nice surprise that they announced the world's first 7nm GPU. Still need to hear lots more info/etc.

I'm not particularly sure what there is to be excited about. It seems like the same old Vega just with a clock bump due to the new process node. We already know that Vega doesn't perform well as a gaming card and the results that AMD showed don't give the impression that this will be any different.

It looks like they just announced the price for this as $700, which isn't particularly compelling. Maybe it squares up nicely against a 2080, but we already know how overpriced that is. This does absolutely nothing to improve the performance/price ratio that most consumers care about.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Not an ouch.. a 2080 is $799, only has 8GB of Memory (GDDR6) - half what this has, and half the memory bandwidth (448GB/sec)... vs 1Tb/sec on AMD.

This highlights what a rip-off nvidia has put fwd.

AMD shouldn't get praise because they're gouging slightly less than NVidia.

If you look at the numbers they give for performance it's between 25% - 35% for most of the tasks or games that they list. And they're only charging . . . 40% more for that uplift.

I mean sure, if you hold your turd up to a bigger turd it might look better by comparison, but trying to paint this as some brilliant coup by AMD just isn't going to work.