News AMD Announces Radeon VII

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

garagisti

Aug 7, 2007
Holy cow , 6700 GF FP64!! so AMD's goal was to kill entire titans.this card will be sold before any gamer buy it.
Seems most compute is intact. I sadly have no use for such though.

Also checked 4k results AMD shared and save gameworks titles, it doesn't look too shabby. Now waiting to see benchmarks on release, will likely buy.

Edit:
From AMD subreddit
-Titan V gives a DP of 7.450 TFLOPs for $2999
-Radeon VII gives a DP of 6.9 TFLOPs for $699
a fair few poor scientists and students are rubbing their hands with much glee

Last edited:

Thrashard

Oct 6, 2016
I can't find much info on Crossfire and there a new feature called XGMI; which is supposed to be comparable to NVlink for Nvidia.

Will this Radeon 7 have any of these features ? There was some mention on lower value RTX cards wont have NVlink.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Holy cow , 6700 GF FP64!! so AMD's goal was to kill entire titans.this card will be sold before any gamers buy it.

I really hope this isn't true. I'd want AMD to make as much money as they could to return to form. If they have a card they intend to compete with cards in the $1,000+ range and they are putting it out in the market for $700, they deserve to go bankrupt.

Why is it always "HD 4870 redux" around here. AMD has a product to compete with NV's product and they're going to sell it for peanuts. Yeah, good game AMD.

garagisti

Aug 7, 2007
I really hope this isn't true. I'd want AMD to make as much money as they could to return to form. If they have a card they intend to compete with cards in the $1,000+ range and they are putting it out in the market for $700, they deserve to go bankrupt.

Why is it always "HD 4870 redux" around here. AMD has a product to compete with NV's product and they're going to sell it for peanuts. Yeah, good game AMD.
It about par and better in 4k than rtx 2080 but in gameworks titles, and people were panning it when it is cheaper than some custom 2080s. They still are some way from Navi and better to have a product that everyone talks about, than being talked about for your absence. Besides how many will have had bought it at $1000 plus price point is anybody's guess.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

I'm sure AMD has run the numbers and decided they could live with the price point. Will it stick? Time will tell.

Most posters in this thread are complaining about the price being too high already.

Reactions: garagisti

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011

This isn't anything like the 4870, which was a simple, effective and competitive card compared to NVIDIA's offerings. This is AMD going all out with what they have to work with and offering the same performance, at the same price that NVIDIA has for years.

Vega simply isn't a great gaming architecture. They can't price it past the 2080 and even price parity is asking a lot given performance parity when NVIDIA is simply THE name in GPUs. AMD hasn't been exciting since the 7970 (the last time AMD had a spot in my primary box). AMD probably doesn't care because they aren't expecting high volume anyway.

Hopefully Navi changes that and we see a modern gaming architecture instead of them trying to shoehorn a compute based architecture into gaming cards.

If you're in need of compute heavy cards these may be awesome, but that's pretty niche.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I wonder how it will do in ETH mining. I get around 40 MH/s on my Vega 64 Nitro.

Reactions: Feld

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Seems most compute is intact. I sadly have no use for such though.

Just wanted to quote this for @ub4ty in case he hasn't already seen it. While AMD does seem to be bringing PCIe4.0 to the desktop with Zen2, they probably won't bring CCIX with it. I also find it interesting that the "external IF link" on Radeon VII is disabled. It more-or-less confirms my suspicion that we'll see IF over PCIe as part of AMD's CCIX implementation. That may have been noted elsewhere, but I'm just now getting up to speed.

a fair few poor scientists and students are rubbing their hands with much glee

Depends on what they're doing with the cards. For infinitely-parallel workloads that can be offloaded to the GPU using existing OpenCL computation methods, it'll be amazing. For anyone with workloads that would benefit from UVM or SVM, no dice.

I wonder how it will do in ETH mining. I get around 40 MH/s on my Vega 64 Nitro.

Good question! With the upcoming ETH ASICs I'm not sure it would matter much. It should come down to the memory though. My VegaFE mines about the same as yours.

Thrashard

Oct 6, 2016
I don't feel like watching the video again but people are confirming Lisa said it has 128 ROP's.

Did she slip and we will see a 32GB version this summer ?

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
The ROP count has ZERO impact on its Perf:Watt. Polaris and Vega have low Perf:Watt only when clocked to the sky to be a desktop GPU. They were designed for low power usage, and when run in that configuration, is extremely power efficient. But since AMD wanted to sell them as desktop GPUs as well, they clocked them way up, which leads to power consumption skyrocketing.

They need to be clocked sky-high because they are naturally imbalanced. I mean you can undervolt a vega 56, increase memory clocks and you get mostly same performance as a vega 64. Does extra CUs are for most part useless for gaming.

They need a new uArch or changes to it that they can make something else than die shrink Fiji and that will be Navi, hopefully.

Reactions: prtskg

Feld

Aug 6, 2015
My liquid cooled Vega 64 does 43 MH/s with the memory at 1100 MHz. With all that memory bandwidth on the Radeon VII, it could plausibly do close to 80 MH/s on the current version of ethash. Of course once Ethereum switches to ProgPoW in 3-5 months everything will change. All GPU's are expected to have their hash rate cut roughly in half.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
My liquid cooled Vega 64 does 43 MH/s with the memory at 1100 MHz. With all that memory bandwidth on the Radeon VII, it could plausibly do close to 80 MH/s on the current version of ethash. Of course once Ethereum switches to ProgPoW in 3-5 months everything will change. All GPU's are expected to have their hash rate cut roughly in half.

kind of off-topic but never heard of that till now and googled a bit. This is kind of a bummer. Why would they invest in a new POW algo when supposedly POS is coming "soon". So we can foresee even more delays with POS...

Feld

Aug 6, 2015
kind of off-topic but never heard of that till now and googled a bit. This is kind of a bummer. Why would they invest in a new POW algo when supposedly POS is coming "soon". So we can foresee even more delays with POS...
POS got delayed. It won't see initial release until late this year or more likely 2020, and it will be released as its own chain that is tied to the current chain. So even for some time after after POS is live, POW is still going to be a thing that is needed. It's unclear how long it will be before a complete transition to POS where POW is deprecated, but that is likely still years away. So they figure it's better to cut out the centralizing force of ASICs as best as possible in the meantime - and I agree. Which also means GPU mining may become more of a thing again in a few months, and this Radeon VII could potentially find itself in high demand once that happens. It's even possible that this was part of why AMD decided to release this card after all.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
On a side note, I am wondering if there will be a second chance for early buyers of the Radeon VII to get the Ruby Nyx skin for Quake Champions. I would likely get it if so.

Thrashard

Oct 6, 2016
Here are my predictions. GTX/RTX 1080/2080 and Radeon 7 is geared to high quality 1440p

It's going to be a while till 32GB Cards and Prices settle in before 4K is ironed out

>

2 CPU w/ 8 Channel Memory would be nice for 8K Gaming

Last edited:

garagisti

Aug 7, 2007
Some youtuber named buildzoid, says 4k gaming doesn't matter. Spending 700 on gpu alone to play at 1080p is weird to me. If this can play a good many games at 4k hdr it's a solid buy, as the only card that performs better is 2080ti, and that is twice the price. That's before you consider the lottery of how long it would work.

Reactions: Feld

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Spending 700 on gpu alone to play at 1080p is weird to me.

To play BF5 with all the bells and whistles on including RTX you currently need a 2070 for 1080p. There is a thread about the 6gb on the 2060 being a issue with RTX on at 1080p in BF5 with one article mentioning them resorting to dropping textures from ultra to high with a HUGE fps gain.

garagisti

Aug 7, 2007
To play BF5 with all the bells and whistles on including RTX you currently need a 2070 for 1080p. There is a thread about the 6gb on the 2060 being a issue with RTX on at 1080p in BF5 with one article mentioning them resorting to dropping textures from ultra to high with a HUGE fps gain.
4k HDR is where things are with displays, even tvs. 2080ti is better, but the price is rather high. 2080 custom solutions are about ~200 more than Radeon 7. I'd much rather game at 4k hdr with my current tv or new 4k monitors coming, than worry about something that is presently untenable at a reasonable price, plus not exactly widely adopted.

DXR will have its day in the sun, but that is not today.

Last edited:

Thrashard

Oct 6, 2016
They way I see it is people are cheating to get 4K by overclocking. These companies are giving us slow drip technology. I want to see 160 FPS out of the box.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Vega 20 is designed for data center compute workloads. See Radeon Instinct MI60 (full die) and MI50 (cut die). Since this is looking to be salvaged Vega 20 dies, it's really not a high-end gaming GPU design. But having the Radeon VII lets AMD market it as the "first 7nm gaming GPU" and have a halo product at a halo price, at least for ~1 year or so.

I don't think they're actually expecting to sell many of these. If they wanted to make a true gaming GPU in volume it would be a GDDR6-based design, not HBM2.

Reactions: ozzy702 and Mopetar

garagisti

Aug 7, 2007
Vega 20 is designed for data center compute workloads. See Radeon Instinct MI60 (full die) and MI50 (cut die). Since this is looking to be salvaged Vega 20 dies, it's really not a high-end gaming GPU design. But having the Radeon VII lets AMD market it as the "first 7nm gaming GPU" and have a halo product at a halo price, at least for ~1 year or so.

I don't think they're actually expecting to sell many of these. If they wanted to make a true gaming GPU in volume it would be a GDDR6-based design, not HBM2.
This is good enough to stay relevant than absent, for which they'd have taken much more flak. Now question is, do you buy this, custom 2080 which is decidedly more expensive, or 2080ti which is in a price bracket of its own.

Apart from perf for the money this makes a lot of sense if you can potentially use compute, or game in Linux and so on. I probably will tinker with it when not gaming, and see if I can learn a thing or two.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Most posters in this thread are complaining about the price being too high already.

Most posters in this thread are looking at it as a gaming card. It's entirely possible that it's true that this card is both a terrible value as a gaming card, but an incredible steal if used for compute purposes.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
This is good enough to stay relevant than absent, for which they'd have taken much more flak.

Exactly. RX Vega64 launched in 2017 for crying out loud. Had AMD sat still and done nothing on the high-end until Navi, that would be a full two years without a single product launch or refresh. All they would have to show us otherwise would be RX 590. Yay?

Radeon VII is not the perfect product. I think a lot of people will be disappointed in it. But it's much better than a gaping void.

Reactions: Elfear and ZipSpeed