AMD 7800 / 7700 reviews

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Amazon lost a ton of money on that sale.
That is probably the silliest thing I will read today. They lose more than that on customers using the try before you buy service. It wouldn't even pay for a round of coffees for the legal team dealing with the lawsuit brought against them by 17 states.

Let's not forget that according to the scholarly folks around here, that AMD has no market share. Refunding ones of people isn't going to be an issue. 🤣

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Refunding ones of people isn't going to be an issue

Depends on how many people we are talking about. OP is probably not the only one who complained.

Edit: Not in this particular case, but from what I've heard in situations like this at Amazon it is basically Customer Service roulette. It was his fault he didn't pay attention that it was a third party seller not authorized to give out codes. But sometimes the CS reps will be nice.

Last edited:

Joe NYC

Platinum Member
Jun 26, 2021
So I gave up on the PowerColor HellHound and will instead get the less expensive RedDevil at $559. I don't want to lose out on Starfield promo, and there are only 3 days left in September.

BTW, it looks like first restocking of 7800 XT took place today at Micro Centers, with small number of cards received.

• Love
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
So I gave up on the PowerColor HellHound and will instead get the less expensive RedDevil at $559. I don't want to lose out on Starfield promo, and there are only 3 days left in September.

BTW, it looks like first restocking of 7800 XT took place today at Micro Centers, with small number of cards received.
The Red Devil cards are great, but I thought they were more expensive than the HellHound series? Anyway, enjoy the new card!

Joe NYC

Platinum Member
Jun 26, 2021
The Red Devil cards are great, but I thought they were more expensive than the HellHound series? Anyway, enjoy the new card!

Yes, Red Devil cards are more expensive than HallHound. Maybe I phrased it wrong. HellHound is I believe either $519 or $529 (I forgot) and RedDevil has 2 versions. One is $559 and the other one is $589.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

Can't go wrong with the Red Devil. Are they still putting 3 different bios on there like my Red Devil Vega 56 had?

My Hellhound is up and running. Auto overclock is 2755MHz. They must be rushing these out the door ASAP. First card I've bought in ages that didn't have the PCIe or display out covers. Used regular scotch tape to seal the anti-static bag.

Starfield did indeed require the verification tool to activate on Steam. I guess I will start all over with a new character. Unless it is as easy as copy pasta of the save file from the game pass version into the steam version.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Joe NYC

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Downloading the demo now. Shame the game is trash. Direct storage, FSR3, new features that are wasted due to a game few will spend any time in.

Reactions: Tlh97 and AtenRa

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Enabled the Hyper-RX suite plus enhanced sync EDIT: (Enhanced sync should be turned off it messes with frame pacing logic). Max settings including ray tracing and memory features. Playing at 1080 FSR3 Quality. Set the slider for res scaling from 50% to 16.7% there are only 3 options.

The game eats VRAM maxed out. Grabbed over 13GB and used over 11GB. Averaging over 150fps. Some stuttering for the first 10 minutes or so, I presume that's shader caching. It finally settled down after that. Seems to work really well considering how bad FSR usually looks at 1080. Turning it off I was averaging 60-70s fps. That's a hell of a performance jump.

Never played the game before. Impressed with the direct storage. Pop! you are in game. Not hating the game either. I think some of the hate is coming from the incels. There's crafting, a pretty deep skill tree, decent options for how to approach the combat, and the magical effects are cool. The Jarvis and Iron Man thing is meh. I don't really know the storyline, but it seems fairly dull and generic.

The Hellhound is a champ 10/10 highly recommend.

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and Joe NYC

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
The 7800XT I ordered is waiting for me at home. I received an email for my Starfield code already, so tonight I have to uninstall my first new 7800XT GPU, install the one I got today, and then send the first one back. All for a game I may not even like. I would probably rather had that amount taken off my purchase price also, but that is not an option.

I will try out the new game this weekend, to see if I can get into it. It will be the first game I have purchased for quite some time, other than the new Dead Space I ordered last weekend, not realizing it wasn't a FPS grrr.
My experience is that this is not necessary. Just run the AMD verification tool with the 7800XT you have installed, don't even unwrap the other one if you don't really want to change.

I activated a code from a 6500XT purchase on my 6800 PC and it unlocked all three titles that were available at that time. I had not redeemed any offer before with the 6800.

I'd run the tool and if it sees a 7800XT installed now and that's got a promotion you are good to go IMO.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
My experience is that this is not necessary. Just run the AMD verification tool with the 7800XT you have installed, don't even unwrap the other one if you don't really want to change.

I activated a code from a 6500XT purchase on my 6800 PC and it unlocked all three titles that were available at that time. I had not redeemed any offer before with the 6800.

I'd run the tool and if it sees a 7800XT installed now and that's got a promotion you are good to go IMO.

Thanks I might give that a go, I have not opened the new one yet. The one in my pc I accidently scratched up the shroud some so I was debating sending it back because it does not look new and I don't want to screw anybody.

• Wow
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I can't tell if AFMF is working properly. Atlantis is still CPU bound and fps drops to below 60 at times playing at ultra on a 1080 60 TV. It is smooth though. It is like I am playing on a freesync monitor, as there is none of the micro stutter the RX 6800 had.

I am installing Red Dead 2 now. Starfield doesn't have exclusive fullscreen mode. Maybe I'll get more noticable results in a supported game that does.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I see it states you shouldn't use enhanced sync with FSR3 as it can interfere with frame pacing logic. In this latest driver it is eliminated as an option.

AFMF.jpg

Reactions: TESKATLIPOKA

SolidQ

Jul 13, 2023
I see it states you shouldn't use enhanced sync with FSR3
That message
Frame Pacing and Recommended VSync Settings
It is recommended to use AMD FSR 3 with VSync, as when enabled, frame pacing relies on the expected refresh rate of the monitor for a consistent high-quality gaming experience. Additionally, it is recommended that Enhanced Sync is disabled in AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ settings, as it can interfere with frame pacing logic. A game using AMD FSR 3 in this configuration will show a “zigzag” pattern on frame time timing graphs in performance measuring tools such as AMD OCAT. This is completely expected and does not indicate uneven frame pacing.

FSR 3 can also be used with VSync disabled, for example for performance measurement, but the experience will be less optimal due to frame tearing inherent to not having VSync enabled.

Mar 11, 2004
FSR3 is also available on the Ryzen 7840 iGPU, right? That's where I'd be really curious what can be achieved. Especially on ROG Ally or one of the mini-PCs.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
You can download the Forspoken Demo from steam and test FSR3 now

Picking a game like Forspoken to serve as a launch title for your new technology isn't doing it any favors.

Not like I care about fake frame generation anyways, but you'd at least think they'd have tried to pick something more people might care about.

Reactions: Grazick