AMD 6000 reviews thread

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

Wow, even the number 3 card has 16GB VRAM and is faster than the 2080TI. And the $1000 6900XT matches the $1500 3090 in performance.

The 3000 parts don't look so hot now.

Post reviews edit:
It's astonishing what AMD have managed to achieve with both the Ryzen 5000 and the Radeon 6000, especially given the absolutely minuscule R&D budget and resources compared to nVidia/Intel. Lisa Su is definitely the "Steve Jobs" of AMD with such a remarkable turnaround.

6900XT:
(It's absolutely amazing to see AMD compete with the 3090)

Last edited:

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
@lightmanek

Lemme know how that EK block works. Not sure if I'm going to jump in this generation, but eventually I'll want an AMD card I can put in my loop that has drivers that will let me overclock. Unlike my current card . . .

Same here, on Radeon VII I figured out that Auto-OC did work, and surprisingly well, as despite it showing OC clock of 1881MHz, in reality my GPU was boosting to over 2000MHz regularly during gameplay and even HBM2 was auto overclocked to 1100MHz.
As for 6800, OC seems to work well, at least when Air-Cooled. EK blocks are not expected before 5th of December, so I will have to wait a bit before testing my card. Maybe by then there will be some power and clock unlocked BIOSes floating around :)

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
I hope it clocks as good if not better than my Reference 6800 which now will be for sale (PM me if interested and living in UK or EU as I rather sell it at a price I paid to a genuine user - full VAT invoice and warranty provided).
I really wanted a 6800 XT, but seeing how impossible these are to get at a fair price I'm reaaaaaaly tempted

leoneazzurro

Jul 26, 2016
Only way to get one at MSRP is on AMD site. There is some restock every now and then, but you have to be lucky to be there as they litereally go away in minutes. Btw, in Italy several people who bought them on AMD site on the launch day received the cards yesterday.

leoneazzurro

Jul 26, 2016
So even in an AMD title Nvidia is more performant at RT. The main difference is that the game is still playable at 4K on AMD cards. We'll se probably in Far Cry 6 if there is something more to squish out the RX6000 series. On the other side, standard rasterization performance on AMD cards is overkill

Last edited:

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Can someone tell me what's happened to the AnandTech review that was supposed to come out on the 18th??
(It's not in the op and I'm not reading the whole thread :p).

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Can someone tell me what's happened to the AnandTech review that was supposed to come out on the 18th??
(It's not in the op and I'm not reading the whole thread :p).

- We don't know. There is a whole thread about the state of AT GPU reviews, and there is some confusion about not only the lack of a review or deepdive, but even the lack of acknowledgement of the launches on the AT homepage.

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
So even in an AMD title Nvidia is more performant at RT. The main difference is that the game is still playable at 4K on AMD cards. We'll se probably in Far Cry 6 if there is something more to squish out the RX600 series. On the oter side, standard rasterization performance on AMD cards is overkill

Pretty much in line with how consoles perform. In Watch Dogs Xbox was similar to RTX 2060 Super. Actually worse, since PC has higher quality raytracing settings. Ampere is a bit more balanced architecture for games that do use ray tracing but that's hardly surprise since it's NVIDIA's second gen with ray tracing card.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
- We don't know. There is a whole thread about the state of AT GPU reviews, and there is some confusion about not only the lack of a review or deepdive, but even the lack of acknowledgement of the launches on the AT homepage.
Oh, that's rather troubling, and very bizarre, I'll see if I can find the thread, thanks for lmk anyway.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
In 3-4 years Ray Tracing will be worth it, right now its a gigantic loss in performance for very specific use and very limited use that hardly makes games better looking and in some cases it even makes them looks worse compared to rasterized effects!

I disagree. Right now ray tracing is being done over the top, so it looks like crap frequently enough.

But on console they do not have power to over do it. I think we will see lightly raytraced games soon that do not performance hog and do not over do the brightness of the lighting.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
The actual price of 6800XT is $750. AMD lied just like RX 480 for $199. AMD has exposed themselves as big lying company and Lisa Su is just a big liar.

What are you going on about? MSRP for the reference cards is still $650, you just can't find them in stock. AMD has said they'll continue to sell reference cards through the first part of 2021.

Geranium

Apr 22, 2020
The actual price of 6800XT is $750. AMD lied just like RX 480 for $199. AMD has exposed themselves as big lying company and Lisa Su is just a big liar.
Where?? Are you telling us that RTX 3080's real price is 899$ and 1800$ for 3090? Wasn't that suppose to be 700$ and 1500$?

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
What are you going on about? MSRP for the reference cards is still $650, you just can't find them in stock. AMD has said they'll continue to sell reference cards through the first part of 2021.
What if i tell you a genius marketing strategy where you announce a graphics card for let's say $299 and make a total of 10 such cards to sell for that price but rest of the AIB cards will however cost $999. Technically they did make and sell 10 cards for $299 so it is real but out of stock. What do you think?

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
What if i tell you a genius marketing strategy where you announce a graphics card for let's say $299 and make a total of 10 such cards to sell for that price but rest of the AIB cards will however cost $999. Technically they did make and sell 10 cards for $299 so it is real but out of stock. What do you think?

Does AMD dictate AIB pricing?

Geranium

Apr 22, 2020
But the report says AMD is selling the boards to AIB at very high prices and their margin is very small. If this is a rumor and AIBs are lying then we should shift the blame to AIBs. But for now AMD is the culprit.
Custom card used custom board. How can AMD sell custom board to the AIB? AMD only sells the reference board to the AIB. I call this report a BS.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Leeea

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Does AMD dictate AIB pricing?
Hardware Unboxed gave us the information we need, @mohit9206 is just running with the conclusion without being interested in explaining the cause.

According to Hardware Unboxed the current situation is a combination of two factors, one of which is AMD's fault:
  1. Limited initial supply. This is to be expected with most GPU launches (they gave RX 480 and Vega as example), but obviously now everything is exacerbated by very high demand. Nothing new here, discussed to death in the forums, not something AMD can control except shutting the heck up on social media when discussing availability prior to launch.
  2. Historically low margins for AIBs when aiming for MSRP. This is the worthy news item they got from discussing with AIBs such as Powercolor and maybe Sapphire, and it explains why AIBs will prioritize making and selling premium cards (with better cooling, lazors, pompoms) in an attempt to capitalize on high demand and sell higher margin products. (it's also the first time in a long while that AMD has a strong flagship product)
This explains to me the stark contrast between prices and availability of Zen 3 and RDNA2 in my local shops:
  • I can buy Zen 3 - 5600X and 5800X whenever I feel like it, there's decent availability and prices are close to MSRP (after including VAT and other taxes)
  • I have ZERO chance of getting a single RDNA2 card, shops listed the cards as out of stock from day one. The only thing that changed since then is pricing, as it went up every few days.
For now I'm inclined to believe HWU reporting, that AMD got greedy but at the same time they wanted to look good in terms of pricing at launch. The result is compounded price increase on the shelves: AIBs aiming for healthier margins and everyone scalping because crazy demand.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
In 3-4 years Ray Tracing will be worth it, right now its a gigantic loss in performance for very specific use and very limited use that hardly makes games better looking and in some cases it even makes them looks worse compared to rasterized effects!

Its actually one of the more noticeable effects in years. I think the last time was when physx and hairworks started coming out. Yah, you pretty much need a top end card to run it, but for single player stuff where 60fps is plenty, its nice to have that option.

Reactions: Tlh97 and xpea

lixlax

Nov 6, 2014
Who in AMD dared to think 4-5 years ago that they are producing as much as they could and people will be still mad at them, because it isn't enough (consoles, CPUs, GPUs etc).

The pressure will ease off at some point, but until then, I'm afraid, we'll have to accept the higher prices and scarcer availability than usual.

Also is TSMC planning to expand the production or are they going to continue as is?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
But the report says AMD is selling the boards to AIB at very high prices and their margin is very small. If this is a rumor and AIBs are lying then we should shift the blame to AIBs. But for now AMD is the culprit.

If you want to go that far, shouldn't you be blaming TSMC for not supplying enough wafers? It really rests at their feet. Everyone else is dealing with the fallout.