AMD 6000 reviews thread

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

Wow, even the number 3 card has 16GB VRAM and is faster than the 2080TI. And the $1000 6900XT matches the $1500 3090 in performance.

The 3000 parts don't look so hot now.

Post reviews edit:
It's astonishing what AMD have managed to achieve with both the Ryzen 5000 and the Radeon 6000, especially given the absolutely minuscule R&D budget and resources compared to nVidia/Intel. Lisa Su is definitely the "Steve Jobs" of AMD with such a remarkable turnaround.

6900XT:
(It's absolutely amazing to see AMD compete with the 3090)

Last edited:

guachi

Nov 16, 2010
I think there would be less of a problem if there were more transparency about supply. Like if manufacturers actually published how many cards they've shipped or EVGA having a queue so you can at least see where you are.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Stuka87

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I think there would be less of a problem if there were more transparency about supply. Like if manufacturers actually published how many cards they've shipped or EVGA having a queue so you can at least see where you are.

There is a reason they are not talking about supply. ProShop, which is apparently the only retailer for Denmark, has received 25 6800xt cards. Total.

There is no supply. You have better odds winning the lottery.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
My man... a 1080 Ti will run Cyberpunk more or less maxed out. Its an RPG so its not like you need 144fps.

As a side note this is what's unfortunate for AMD.

I badly wanted a 6800XT. So I camped out in the rain all night for over 14 hours and made sure that I was #4 in line at my local Microcenter. AMD did say that embargo and reviews (meaning launch day) would be Nov 25, and of course the general public more or less had good reason to believe AIB stock would be available albeit very limited based on the reference launch and based on guys like Frank Azor from AMD saying AIB stocks would exceed reference. I am not saying we were deceived or misled in anyway. We as consumers do recognize that inventory is limited so we have to plan accordingly, just like any buyer of a product which means camping in long lines. We have to make informed decisions when we plan this stuff. And given what we thought we knew, we guessed completely wrong about AIBs. AMD gave us zero indication to help us.

But just by virtue of necessity AMD lost a buyer this round in me. I was forced to pickup an RTX 3080 as it was either that or the inferior reference 6800. I'm not really saying AMD should be flamed, I'm not saying they even wronged me, I'm just speaking in terms of business. This is THEIR product. They should have attempted to coordinate with AIBs to formalize a launch day, they should have informed us as to what to expect. Because without that leadership, we were left guessing and we guessed wrong. Many people in line took off holiday hours to be able to camp.

Simply cause and effect. AMD didn't offer clear guidance on what to expect, secondary to that, neither did AIBs or retailers, and I was put in a position to either walk away with nothing for the remainder of the holiday season or pickup a 3080 which is probably a slightly better buy versus the 6800xt given that I'll now get to use DLSS and ray tracing (better performance) when I had already justified going without those features.

I was in the exact same situation. I've been with Nvidia for 5+ years now and was looking forward to going with a 6800XT for a change of pace. The extra VRAM, SAM, 1440p performance, and overclocking potential were the main selling points for me. Well after making multiple visits to my local Microcenter and "camping" at my keyboard, I gave up and snagged a 3080 when it became available. I know AMD is cranking out cards as fast as they possibly can but the constant checking of stock got old fast. I'll give DLSS a whirl and then see how things play out in a few months. Worse comes to worse, I trade someone for a 6800XT down the road.

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
Forced to buy a 3080. Good one.

Is there something that ranks above first world problems? If so, I think this qualifies.
Yeah why fixate on my choice of words? I had about $700-800 to spend, and I had a performance target in mind, and I had one option. So I was forced into that Geforce 3080 as opposed to my desire. The main point is that I had already sunk 12 hours waiting in line, so I didn't want to walk away empty handed.

Don't get me confused with people salty with AMD or crying about stuff. I was simply stating that had AMD helped deliver better expectations about when AIBs would actually launch, I would have simply not stood in line and waited and because of this poor communication, AMD lost a customer. That doesn't mean I suddenly don't like AMD or their products.

Last edited:
Reactions: lightmanek

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
After this I dont expect a lot of people to be able to obtain a graphics card in the next 2-3 months.

The demand for Ampere/RDNA2 is unpreceded

Comparison of traffic Launches

Vergleich%20Launch%20RTX%203080%20und%203090%20mit%20RTX%202080%20und%20RTX%202080%20Ti.png

Vergleich%20aller%20erwahnten%20Launches.png

leoneazzurro

Jul 26, 2016
After this I dont expect a lot of people to be able to obtain a graphics card in the next 2-3 months.

The demand for Ampere/RDNA2 is unpreceded

Comparison of traffic Launches

Vergleich%20Launch%20RTX%203080%20und%203090%20mit%20RTX%202080%20und%20RTX%202080%20Ti.png

Vergleich%20aller%20erwahnten%20Launches.png

I would add also these data from one of the rare distributors actually publishing their availability (proshop)

Ampere:

3 weeks after the launch

Now:

RX6000 series a week after launch

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Looks like AMD (just like NVIDIA) is exploiting the increased demand and limited supply during this pandemic situation to upsell GPUs and VRAM to AIB partners who in turn are getting shafted on profit margins, which in the end results in AIB prices $100-150 above the reference card. GamersNexus said something similar about the NVIDIA situation. Scalping issue notwithstanding, it looks like one can forget about getting a card at a reasonable price this year.
Disgraceful state of affairs.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
Clearly a lot going on here. TSMC has typical loads with the A14, Renoir, Zen3, RDNA2. But they also have M1, XSX, PS5. Plus with COVID, who knows how that's affecting things. Based on Ampere availability I suspect that this isn't an isolated AMD-specific problem... but Apple seems to have no issues with supply of the M1 or A14 on N5. Somewhat of a crazy situation.

Reactions: prtskg

leoneazzurro

Jul 26, 2016
It's very likely that AMD too has high production costs. IIRC AMD is supplying to AIB not only the GPU but the VRAM, too (at least for the reference designs). But being the supply limited by TSMC capacity, the production cost is likely to be quite high - AMD has an high opportunity cost for Navi21 because they can produce more CPU chiplets with higher margin from a single wafer. But keeping the production low also increases fixed cost impact .let's add that a 6800 / 6800XT has way more VRAM than a 3070/3080 and they have to sell at a similar price because vast majority of the people look only at raw performance today without thinking that in many cases VRAM could be a serious bottleneck at higher resolution sooner than one can think. So of course companies are not your friend but at the same time you have to think that making a good product and selling it at a competitive price involume it's not so easy like a lot of people thinks it is.

CastleBravo

Dec 6, 2019
Looks like AMD (just like NVIDIA) is exploiting the increased demand and limited supply during this pandemic situation to upsell GPUs and VRAM to AIB partners who in turn are getting shafted on profit margins, which in the end results in AIB prices $100-150 above the reference card. GamersNexus said something similar about the NVIDIA situation. Scalping issue notwithstanding, it looks like one can forget about getting a card at a reasonable price this year.
Disgraceful state of affairs.

I was willing to pay an extra $50 for a 3080 over a 6800 XT because of RT, but I ended up ordering a 3080 yesterday for $50 less than what most of the AIB 6800 XTs are priced at! I wouldn't be surprised if Ampere prices go up now.

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
EPYC and Cezanne will have more priority over anything not bound by contract like PS5/XSX.
2.5K+ of Zen3 chiplets(for desktop) vs 500 $ worth of RDNA2 GPU chips. For Server make it 8K of chiplets vs 500$.
Not a hard choice to make. The press and the devs got the GPUs, the rest would be anybody's guess.
So for the folks trying to buy RDNA2 GPUs and/or Zen3 CPUs... good luck.
Zen3 CPUs might have better chance of being more abundant due to harvesting from EPYC dies. RDNA2 not so much. They dont even share same design with CDNA which is being produced for the Frontier and other HPC deployments (contractual obligations)
If TSMC can smell the demand, they will make bank.
Compare this to Intel which has around 350-400k wpm of 300mm wafers, compared to AMD with 45k wpm, granted, not same process node.
Worse thing, by this time next year, add Xilinx products in the mix, Radeon is going to be squeezed out.

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
The pricing isn't that baffling when you consider the supply (or rather the lack thereof) right now. It's just a matter of who gets to absorb the markup, the AIBs or the scalpers. There are plenty of AIB 3080s that tack on $100 or more to the price tag as well.

-Aside from some mark-ups from AMD to their partners as suggested above, I'm sure AMD's board partners have $$$ in their eyes after years of being forced into competing in lower tiers for the most razor thin margins.

Finally a card that competes on performance, with plenty of OC headroom for differentiation, with limited supply but high demand.

It's like dropping a 21 oz. Porterhouse steak in front of a starving orphan.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Stock and price on everything is pretty brutal.
My local chain computer store (Memory Express) has a 3090 FTW3 at CAD$2450 in stock, an RTX 3090 Ventus, and then the next most expensive GPU actually on the shelf is a $320 RX580. Even the online store only has a half dozen total of 5700XTs and 5600XTs, and they're still the standard price.

I'm not expecting any kind of decent sales on 5700's

Reactions: Tlh97 and Leeea

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
The pricing isn't that baffling when you consider the supply (or rather the lack thereof) right now. It's just a matter of who gets to absorb the markup, the AIBs or the scalpers. There are plenty of AIB 3080s that tack on $100 or more to the price tag as well.

Can't really blame them if cards are selling for that much. Its way easier to start with a high MSRP and discount them as demand dies down.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Red Devil is a beauty. Can you buy it? HAHA HAHA maybe if you sell your soul.

At that point may as well go for one of the models with liquid cooling built in. TPU got the ASUS Strix they tested to 2743 MHz clock. Remember a few months ago when we were wondering if AMD would be able to reliably hit 2 GHz? A much more innocent time to be sure.

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
There is a reason they are not talking about supply. ProShop, which is apparently the only retailer for Denmark, has received 25 6800xt cards. Total.

There is no supply. You have better odds winning the lottery.

WOW! I'm a lottery winner :eek:
Twice in a week o_O

Today I bought MSI Radeon 6800XT Reference card (which I preferred despite Red Devil being so nice, as I need AMD PCB for EK water block ;)). It shipped from eBuyer today, expected delivery tomorrow :D
I hope it clocks as good if not better than my Reference 6800 which now will be for sale (PM me if interested and living in UK or EU as I rather sell it at a price I paid to a genuine user - full VAT invoice and warranty provided).
Despite missing on launch 6800XT, I only waited one week to get a chance to buy one, albeit at about £50.00 over MSRP ...

Guru

May 5, 2017
I don't think supply is that low, I think demand is just way too high! Remember RTX 2000 was utter garbage, RX 5000 was mostly just the 5700 series for the longest time, so basically only mid upper tier cards for 6+ months, before AMD released the other lower end cards. Add in covid19, add in a slew of new games being released this year like Red Dead Redemption 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Cyberpunk 2077 releasing in December and people are looking for new hardware!

I think AMD probably had more supply than RX 5700 series at launch, but demand was way too high. I think people from Vega 64 and before were waiting to upgrade and this is a good opportunity, this is a big performance uplift, so you have people with Vega's and GTX 1080 and whatever wanting to upgrade and you have a huge demand, with probably a normal high end stock of cards from both AMD and Nvidia!