AMD 6000 reviews thread

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

Wow, even the number 3 card has 16GB VRAM and is faster than the 2080TI. And the $1000 6900XT matches the $1500 3090 in performance.

The 3000 parts don't look so hot now.

Post reviews edit:
It's astonishing what AMD have managed to achieve with both the Ryzen 5000 and the Radeon 6000, especially given the absolutely minuscule R&D budget and resources compared to nVidia/Intel. Lisa Su is definitely the "Steve Jobs" of AMD with such a remarkable turnaround.

6900XT:
(It's absolutely amazing to see AMD compete with the 3090)

Last edited:

Kuiva maa

May 1, 2014
Multi game averages from multiple sites show it ahead. Pointing out a few specific titles is 'creating a narrative you want to believe.'

Maybe, maybe not. AMD has had consoles for a long time now and you'd think you would already see amazing optimizations on current hardware. I bought AMD before on that premise and it didn't really materialize. We'll see. I'm evaluating it on how things stand now. Honestly both are going to see improvements through driver optimizations. Its early days for the ampere drivers as well.

Sure, I have a ULMB monitor as well and know all about it. Still they both tend to be more than fast enough on the titles that matter for strobing displays to work well at 1440p. I'm less concerned about single player adventure type games with it. Adaptive sync is more important for those generally.

As I said this is your narrative. A card "wins" if it is largely faster than the competition. 3080 and 6800XT are trading blows and even on the same games it depends on the scene. Eg HU has 3080 faster at hitman 2 4k whereas TPU and GN have the 6800XT ahead. 3080 has a 4k edge on average but it is behind on far too many titles to say it wins because frankly, it is not clear.

And as I said, if you want to see the console effect, look no further than Hawaii vs Kepler or Maxwell to see how well it performed even against a newer and more gaming focused architecture, thanks to being a graphics arch present in consoles. This time it will be no different, console devs will scramble to get every bit of performance out of their hardware.

Reactions: Zepp and Tlh97

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Ahahahh i see many guys over here are despeerately trying to change facts but i think thats hard to do...Maybe this one looks better for the RX6800XT?! :coldsweat:
View attachment 34169

What point are you even trying to argue? The two cards are basically within a few percent of each other and depending on the title have a few solid wins under each of their belts. Once you factor in the $50 price difference it's a wash in terms of value. It isn't as though anyone can just go out and buy either of these cards so it hardly matters there either.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Heheheheh look what happened once real reviews came out...Unlike those shown by AMD these are different..Too bad when i said this 1 month ago everyone downvoted me
View attachment 34168

Here's your post that was downvoted:

Pretty disappointing launch from AMD as i expected, they show the rx 6900xt being on par with the rtx3090 on their own biased benchmarks and probably best case scenario, its safe to say that once reviewers got these cards it will be 10% slower, so they price them lower as always...Its a hard sell since they lack proper raytracing and dlss i would rather spend a little more and have those features...

Just remember when they showed Fury X and Radeon VII, in both cases according to AMD benchmarks they were faster than the GTX 980TI and RTX 2080 but in reality they were quite slower and they both failed miserably

AMD's RDNA2 reveal had the 6800XT right about equal at 4K with AMD winning some and Nvidia winning some. At 1440p, AMD showed the 6800XT a small amount faster. Reviews show the 3080 to be ~5% faster at 4K and the 6800XT to be a a couple percent faster at 1440p. So, unlike what you were/are trying to say, their launch event showed a very accurate picture of how these cards perform. Obviously the performance will differ depending on the games tested so there will be some percentage shifts depending on testing suite but AMD wasn't just cherry picking games. You basically said AMD was lying and said they lacked proper ray tracing. Both of those are not true. You also said the launch was disappointing, which is obviously subjective, but you gave no reason for it to be disappointing other than you thought AMD was lying. So, yeah, you got downvoted hard.

Last edited:

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Techspot/HWUB numbers seem to be higher than other outlets because they test at least three new games(Godfall, AC:Valhalla, and Dirt 5) where NVIDIA's driver optimizations are still not completely dialed in. When using a test suite comprised of games which should have their driver-level optimizations sorted by now, the gap between the RX 6800 and RTX 3070 is much smaller, cf. PCGH.de's review.

Also, looking at this and a couple of other outlets, TPU's power consumption figures for the RX 6800 seem to be an anomaly.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
Heheheheh look what happened once real reviews came out...Unlike those shown by AMD these are different..Too bad when i said this 1 month ago everyone downvoted me
View attachment 34168

You forgot the 1440p graphs.

Yeah, I know that forgot that since the rtx 3000 launched, every gamer now is doing 4k, right?
So what 4k monitor are you using?

Reactions: Tlh97 and KompuKare

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
It's a tricky call between the 6800XT and 3080. The 3080 is pretty consistently faster at 4K, especially in the games I care about, but the 16GB memory may allow the 6800XT to pull ahead in future games. That's something we have seen before with previous cards. I would still probably get a 3080 or 3080ti for myself.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
It's a tricky call between the 6800XT and 3080. The 3080 is pretty consistently faster at 4K, especially in the games I care about, but the 16GB memory may allow the 6800XT to pull ahead in future games. That's something we have seen before with previous cards. I would still probably get a 3080 or 3080ti for myself.

If you could buy a 6800 xt mid December
but had to wait until February for a 3080

Which would you get?

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003

Which would you get?
I could get a lot of quality time in during the week between Christmas and New Year's, and may have a shiny new copy of C2077 in hand. Whoever gets decent stock in before then (if any) will likely get my purchase.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004

Which would you get?

I would just wait. I have a big backlog of older games I want to go through, and my existing 1080ti can handle them easily. I want to play CP2077 but prefer to not buy games on release anyway until they have fixed the bugs.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I could get a lot of quality time in during the week between Christmas and New Year's, and may have a shiny new copy of C2077 in hand. Whoever gets decent stock in before then (if any) will likely get my purchase.

no offense... u will be lucky to probably see stock of any sort until after 2021.
And im talking more like March.. and not New years.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Leeea

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
no offense... u will be lucky to probably see stock of any sort until after 2021.

I am just going off of unverified rumors that the AIB partner cards will be in much greater supply, with a two to three week lag time. That puts things in mid-december, but it also allows the partners to mark up their cards.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I am just going off of unverified rumors that the AIB partner cards will be in much greater supply, with a two to three week lag time. That puts things in mid-december, but it also allows the partners to mark up their cards.

It probably doesn't matter how much they get because if the backorders for Nvidia cards are anything to go by there are a lot of people who want to upgrade and if even half of those people are willing to buy an AMD card, then I doubt the AIB cards will be in stock for very long. Maybe it will take a few minutes for them to go instead of a mere press of the F5 key, but there're are still going to be a lot of people waiting until 2021.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Leeea

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
but there're are still going to be a lot of people waiting until 2021.

That would hurt. I do most of my gaming in the winter months, and do very little in the summer.

AMD already said they are planning to release RDNA3 in 2021, and come spring there is nothing, waiting for RDNA3 becomes an attractive option. Not like I am going to be using it much all summer anyway.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
Techspot/HWUB numbers seem to be higher than other outlets because they test at least three new games(Godfall, AC:Valhalla, and Dirt 5) where NVIDIA's driver optimizations are still not completely dialed in. When using a test suite comprised of games which should have their driver-level optimizations sorted by now, the gap between the RX 6800 and RTX 3070 is much smaller, cf. PCGH.de's review.

Wouldn't AMD have less time than Nvidia for driver optimizations in new games since their cards launched later?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Wouldn't AMD have less time than Nvidia for driver optimizations in new games since their cards launched later?

The only thing that scares me about AMD is the driver department.
Nvidia is horrible, but its still a golden spoon compared to AMD and driver support.

I think roughly 3 driver updates on Nvidia per single on AMD if i last recall. (someone correct me if im wrong as i have 0 experience on the 5000 series)

So regardless if the cards are faster it wont speak much, because if given enough time Nvidia usually optimizes the drivers for games at zero day launch or close to it, and Geforce Experience usually does a good job at optimization profiles for that game.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
The only thing that scares me about AMD is the driver department.
Nvidia is horrible, but its still a golden spoon compared to AMD and driver support.

I think roughly 3 driver updates on Nvidia per single on AMD if i last recall. (someone correct me if im wrong as i have 0 experience on the 5000 series)

So regardless if the cards are faster it wont speak much, because if given enough time Nvidia usually optimizes the drivers for games at zero day launch or close to it, and Geforce Experience usually does a good job at optimization profiles for that game.

That was kind of my point. By saying Nvidia will probably jump ahead in newer games once the driver optimizations are worked out, it's assuming their driver team isn't as prompt as AMD's team. From my experience, Nvidia was generally quicker with optimizations but maybe that's no longer the case.

It's been awhile since I owned and used an AMD card on a daily basis (R9 290). Drivers were fine back then and similar in dependability to the Nvidia drivers I've used but it's been a few years. Hopefully the drivers are good with the 6000 series.