AMD 6000 reviews thread

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

Wow, even the number 3 card has 16GB VRAM and is faster than the 2080TI. And the $1000 6900XT matches the $1500 3090 in performance.

The 3000 parts don't look so hot now.

Post reviews edit:
It's astonishing what AMD have managed to achieve with both the Ryzen 5000 and the Radeon 6000, especially given the absolutely minuscule R&D budget and resources compared to nVidia/Intel. Lisa Su is definitely the "Steve Jobs" of AMD with such a remarkable turnaround.

6900XT:
(It's absolutely amazing to see AMD compete with the 3090)

Last edited:

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
99% people mining on GPU mine ETH.Lucky for us ETH transitioning to ETH 2.0(its already started)and POS.Good news is when POS is in use it cant be mined with GPU.Bad news is that it will take another 2years to transition to full POS/ETH2.0 so we will probably have another mining craze very soon.
But when ETH is POS i think GPU mining craze will die with it and there will be no mining craze in future anymore.So we need endure another 2years with this BS.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: psolord

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
True, but overall the mining of ETH classic is only slightly less profitable. Sometimes it is more so. Depends on price and difficulty of course.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
btc asic miners are working in terahashes vs 3090 at 100 megahash eth.

no one is mining btc on gpus.

The biggest issue is, there are a lot of seasonal miners..
They only do it while its the most profitable, and then stop.
They are not going to drop that much money on a ASIC miner when the resell value of them is not anywhere near a Videocard.

It is far easier to flip a videocard then it is a asic miner, and those who are seasonal will only do it while the value is still high, then dump everything to recoop whatever profit they can get left over before they shelf it again for another spike.

So far the last few cyrptomining crazy seasons have litterally starved out most of the gpu's for gamers... the latest making it near impossible even to get a hold of a 1080.
Lucky for us most of the 2080 transitions was when BTC and other cryptos were at a low.
But now everything is spiking, so i would not be suprised if we do see another scalpers vs miners, where miners will be even forced to buy from scalper prices because they still can calculate a net profit for the days lost mining.

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
Update about rx6800 mining performance
We have confirmed with GPU reviewers who already have access to Radeon RX 6800 series that the mining performance is definitely not as claimed by the user. The story is therefore not true.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
The biggest issue is, there are a lot of seasonal miners..
They only do it while its the most profitable, and then stop.
They are not going to drop that much money on a ASIC miner when the resell value of them is not anywhere near a Videocard.

It is far easier to flip a videocard then it is a asic miner, and those who are seasonal will only do it while the value is still high, then dump everything to recoop whatever profit they can get left over before they shelf it again for another spike.

So far the last few cyrptomining crazy seasons have litterally starved out most of the gpu's for gamers... the latest making it near impossible even to get a hold of a 1080.
Lucky for us most of the 2080 transitions was when BTC and other cryptos were at a low.
But now everything is spiking, so i would not be suprised if we do see another scalpers vs miners, where miners will be even forced to buy from scalper prices because they still can calculate a net profit for the days lost mining.
I think it's more just the (friendly) pedantic nature of people here saying if there is mining, it wouldn't be BTC. The most widely used mining software for BTC (cgminer) hasn't even had support for GPUs in years, and even with free power/space mining on GPUs wouldn't be worth the deprecation on all your support hardware or even the mental effort. I have no idea what a current top GPU would hash, but if it's 5x as fast as a 7970 even with free power you'd earn $0.13 a year GPU mining at current rates. You'd never be able to withdraw it though, since it would take decades to cover the fee to send it anywhere. GPU mining for BTC is dead dead dead.

What we really need to worry about is a general rise in price on the GPU minable coins, which could impact supplies if the RDNA2 mines well.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Mining hasn't been attractive to most people in a long time
And... those in "the know" have been mining continuously for the last few years. It's been profitable, mostly, for the last two years or so, to mine, either ETH directly, or with something like NH (easy for noobs like me). I'm lucky, I have electric heat, and it's factored into my rent, so I mine to heat my apt. in colder months.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
I don't know if this was posted already but Sapphire has put up pages for their 6000 series cards including two 6800XT models. Looks like the SE version has RGB fans, not sure if there are any other differences.

11304_02_rx6800xt_nitro_c01_r_800x500.ashx

11304_02_rx6800xt_nitro_c05_r_800x500.ashx

11304_02_rx6800xt_nitro_c04_r_800x500.ashx

11304_01_rx6800xtse_nitro_01_r_800x500.ashx

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I don't know if this was posted already but Sapphire has put up pages for their 6000 series cards including two 6800XT models. Looks like the SE version has RGB fans, not sure if there are any other differences.

For the 5700Xt they had the standard Nitro+ (which has LED's on the side and the back), and the SE which has clear RGB fans. Which unless you are mounting your card vertically, aren't even going to be visibile.

EDIT: comparing the photos of those to my 5700XT Nitro+ I have here, they are very similar. Looks like an iterative design with different fans being the big difference externally. But I can see the heatsink itself is quite different.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Which unless you are mounting your card vertically, aren't even going to be visibile.
You can pry my RGB from my cold dead hands!

I used to think RGB was stupid, and then I installed a mainboard that had it as an extra feature with the LEDs right on the board. I was instantly sold, it is way cool. Even when the LEDs are not visible, it lights up the interior of the case vents with a color changing glow that just looks cool.

The only thing is, all of the LEDs need to be in sync with each other, or it loses a lot of cool factor.

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
And... those in "the know" have been mining continuously for the last few years. It's been profitable, mostly, for the last two years or so, to mine, either ETH directly, or with something like NH (easy for noobs like me). I'm lucky, I have electric heat, and it's factored into my rent, so I mine to heat my apt. in colder months.

Unless you have cheap/free energy, it hasn't made much sense to purchase mining hardware for quite some time, better off just to buy the dips. If you have an existing GPU for gaming, by all means mine on it. I sold off most of my hardware after almost 3 years of mining before all the GPUs died or just became worthless. I popped a lot of that into buying the dips. Not saying that mining hasn't been profitable, but the ROI on purchasing new hardware just hasn't made much sense when you could buy the dips and make $$$ for way less work. I doubt mining will be much of a factor for AMD/NVIDIA GPUs this generation. If they had crazy bandwidth memory far in excess of even what the 3090 had for $500 or something those lines then sure, but that's not the case.

Reactions: maddie

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

I used to think RGB was stupid, and then I installed a mainboard that had it as an extra feature with the LEDs right on the board. I was instantly sold, it is way cool. Even when the LEDs are not visible, it lights up the interior of the case vents with a color changing glow that just looks cool.

The only thing is, all of the LEDs need to be in sync with each other, or it loses a lot of cool factor.

Oh, I like RGB's too. I like having a nice blue case :)

But I opted for the regular 5700XT Nitro+ over the SE, because in my case, the fans face down and I can't see them. But the side and back (top as installed) are lit.

Reactions: Leeea

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Unless you have cheap/free energy, it hasn't made much sense to purchase mining hardware for quite some time, better off just to buy the dips. If you have an existing GPU for gaming, by all means mine on it. I sold off most of my hardware after almost 3 years of mining before all the GPUs died or just became worthless. I popped a lot of that into buying the dips. Not saying that mining hasn't been profitable, but the ROI on purchasing new hardware just hasn't made much sense when you could buy the dips and make $$$ for way less work. I doubt mining will be much of a factor for AMD/NVIDIA GPUs this generation. If they had crazy bandwidth memory far in excess of even what the 3090 had for $500 or something those lines then sure, but that's not the case.
Yep. The opportunity cost argument is very powerful here.

Reactions: ozzy702

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004

I like RGB but just keep everything on one fixed color, and change the color every so often. My case has smoked glass panels that make the RGB look especially nice, subtle and classy. :D The rainbow colors or other effects look too distracting. It's also annoying that every company has their own RGB software and they are often not compatible with each other.

Reactions: Leeea and Hitman928