AMD 1950x Threadripper Overheating in Propellerhead Reason 10 [Resolved]

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Mark is that with the 360? I ask because I'm troubleshooting an issue right now with my machine, overclocks have gotten hotter and I'm not sure if it's due to board issues or if the Enermax 360 is dying.
Yes, enermax360 TR4. crap, it only running 3.5 ghz now after the lightning storm this am, and reboot. It was at 54c at 3.5. I will reply or edit once it gets back to 3.8

Edit: holding 59c@3.8 1.125 vcore

Reactions: Drazick

jjh

Jun 21, 2018
what are the temps of your cpu? tr4 240 is not designed to OC a 1950x, better luck with a 360.

Also what are you doing to lock up your system? Are you running full loads 100% or just benchmarking?

Download HWiNFO64 to monitor the temps. The only power is to the pump, and the fans. Also what voltages are you using when you OC?

Thanks for the reply. I am using 4ghz 1.25V for my OC. I run parallel processing jobs that do some data migrations between sql and a nosql store. it has to package up requests as json so there is a lot of CPU involved (so I would not say full load 100% but 90% maybe). i can feel slight vibrations in the line so I think the pump is running. is there a better way to tell? I saw many custom builds with folks using the tr 240 for their 1950x. the only diff is the radiator size on the 360, no? you think it will make that big a difference?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Thanks for the reply. I am using 4ghz 1.25V for my OC. I run parallel processing jobs that do some data migrations between sql and a nosql store. it has to package up requests as json so there is a lot of CPU involved (so I would not say full load 100% but 90% maybe). i can feel slight vibrations in the line so I think the pump is running. is there a better way to tell? I saw many custom builds with folks using the tr 240 for their 1950x. the only diff is the radiator size on the 360, no? you think it will make that big a difference?
YES. The 360 can cool way better than a 240

Reactions: Drazick

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Thanks for the reply. I am using 4ghz 1.25V for my OC.

What are your temps?

Try upping the voltage to 1.27 or 1.28 ... see if that fixes your issue. Try 1.26 first.... Than slowly notch it up till the chip becomes stable. you can always do it in half as well, to dial it in. like 1.285. Note: personally I wouldn't go much over 1.3 personally. But some people seem to have no problem with 1.35~1.4, just be aware, the more volts you give the chip, the hotter it's going to run. My core voltage is 1.15 and is stable, as long as it's not crashing.... the lower the better.

My temps are at 59C at 3.5 ghz on all cores. Not wanting to push it! As I OC 24/7 running DC projects and I'm on Air... so... that's a factor as well!

AMD recommends not to run your TR over 68C. I have ran my chip in the 70's before... If you use AMD Master (I DO NOT RECOMMEND)... your temps will never go over 68C and the chip will thermal throttle no matter what setting you give it. Where as if you learn how to properly OC a chip via BIOS. The chip will run at whatever no matter what the temp. Again, some folks think anything less than 75 is safe to run. Use your own judgment. Personally, I don't like seeing anything over 72... but it the temps fluctuate at in the low 70's with a hard OC, you're probably ok.

Again, this depends on the user. Like me, running 24/7 I want to remain under 70. But for someone that only OC at 100% load for maybe a few times a day and is only hitting high 70's for short times, maybe that's ok. Shrug. OC is a risk each one has to take and feel comfortable with. Burning up a 800 dollar chip probably is to be best avoided. But, maybe...I'm just paranoid.

Last edited: