AMD 1950x Threadripper Overheating in Propellerhead Reason 10 [Resolved]

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Raizor

Apr 26, 2018
A2W2P8x
XGRT8mI

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Off the cuff, I have to think that it's one of a few things:
  • Bad mount or bad thermal paste application
  • Incorrect fan speed (wrong header or wrong BIOS config)
  • Bad airflow
  • Defective AIO

Reactions: Raizor

Raizor

Apr 26, 2018
Yeah - I thought maybe I did something physically wrong - so I took it to Micro Center for analysis and bought a warranty on my build while I was there. According to them, everything checked out.

Is it just me - or is this a bizarre problem? To have the temps just slowly rise - even though I don't even press "play?"

Raizor

Apr 26, 2018
Oh - by the way - sorry for the profanity - I literally didn't know that was against the rules. I clicked the option that ALLOWS it to be visible - so I assumed it was cool.

Clicking that button allows YOU to see it.
The reason for that is this site only allows profanity
in the social areas (like Politics & News, OT, Love and Relationships).
It is NEVER allowed in the technical forums.

We highly recommend you read this:
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/anandtech-forum-guidelines.60552/

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:

Raizor

Apr 26, 2018
CrashTech - Defective AIO though COULD be the case - however - it is FINE while idling AND it runs other apps/ games well. But - just to be safe, since its all under warranty and its FREE to swap it out under Micro Center's new warranty system, I'm going to have them switch my AIO out for a different one.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
CrashTech - Defective AIO though COULD be the case - however - it is FINE while idling AND it runs other apps/ games well. But - just to be safe, since its all under warranty and its FREE to swap it out under Micro Center's new warranty system, I'm going to have them switch my AIO out for a different one.
The reason I made that list is because the cooler literature claims it is capable of dissipating 500W. Even if they are exaggerating a bit, it should be pretty hard to overheat if it's working as intended. I'd probably have went with a 360mm radiator like Markfw mentioned, though. Overkill never hurts when you're trying to cool a beast like Threadripper, or any high core count and high clockspeed CPU, for that matter.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Upgrade to the 360 TR4, its the ONLY AIO that covers the entire CPU surface. You were running 3.4, where at the same vcore, I can run 3.8@46c !

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
I think Mark referenced this point already, but it sounds like you're using a CPU Cooler designed for small CPU Packages like Ryzen's AM4, and the base is simply not large enough to cover a large package CPU like ThreadRipper. I would do anything I could to get out of that cooler and get something with a Coldplate properly designed for Socket TR4.

Anandtech did a good article on showing why these AM4 based coolers are really too small to be truly effective on TR4. The idle temps are close, but as the graphs show once the system starts getting under load, those small cold plates really have trouble keeping up.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12454/analyzing-threadripper-cooling-big-base-cooling-wins

EDIT: @Markfw indeed just mentioned what I'm referring to. I think his advice is very sound. Get out from under that cooler.

Raizor

Apr 26, 2018
Wish I could upgrade to 360 guys! Can't fit into my Vengeance Case!

However - I AM prepared to go custom loop cooling ;P

Raizor

Apr 26, 2018
Naw - the 240 TR4 covers the whole of the Threadripper. Not sure why he thinks only the 360 does. Only difference is 360 has 3 fans. Mine only has 2. 360 IS better though. Obviously.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Naw - the 240 TR4 covers the whole of the Threadripper. Not sure why he thinks only the 360 does. Only difference is 360 has 3 fans. Mine only has 2. 360 IS better though. Obviously.

Well that's probably because you said you were using the "Enermax Liqtech 240 AIO Cooler"

There's a 240, and then there's the 240 TR4, which is specifically designed for the TR4 socket, rather than using an adapter plate without the coverage. As far as I'm aware, this is the first you've mentioned of having the TR4 specific product.

Raizor

Apr 26, 2018
Its the CORRECT AIO - though it MAY be defective somehow.

Only - it works for everything outside of Reason 10... Which is why I'm here posting about it trying to make people aware of it.

Hitman showed me a Reason Forum, so I went there and posted there too, but it takes a while to be reviewed I guess. Not nearly as nice as this site.

Raizor

Apr 26, 2018
Right on - I didn't realize there was a NON-TR4 240 Liqtech, My bad. Like I said - I'm NOT a tech guy. I'm just a musician/ producer trying to get on with Mastering my album.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Well that's probably because you said you were using the "Enermax Liqtech 240 AIO Cooler"

There's a 240, and then there's the 240 TR4, which is specifically designed for the TR4 socket, rather than using an adapter plate without the coverage. As far as I'm aware, this is the first you've mentioned of having the TR4 specific product.
Is it possible they put a regular 240, and not the 240 TR4 on it ? I don't know that its overkill to get the 360, since he WILL be overclocking.

Reactions: Drazick

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Its the CORRECT AIO - though it MAY be defective somehow.

Only - it works for everything outside of Reason 10... Which is why I'm here posting about it trying to make people aware of it.

Hitman showed me a Reason Forum, so I went there and posted there too, but it takes a while to be reviewed I guess. Not nearly as nice as this site.
Don't get hung up on the software, it's just loading the CPU harder than anything else you have. If you have this symptom, there are plenty of benchmark/burnin programs that would overheat it, too. Have you tried remounting the CPU with a fresh TIM application, and just running the fans full blast for testing purposes?

Raizor

Apr 26, 2018
Crash - not yet. But, if thats what you suggest - thats what I shall do.

The only thing I've done along those lines is go into my Bios and put all fans on Full Speed.

Raizor

Apr 26, 2018
What sucks about remounting my CPU is that its one of those FOX-whatever-made sockets :/ So its a PAIN. I have to press REALLY HARD - and I dont want to.

Raizor

Apr 26, 2018
Crash - so if its NOT the software, and the software is just pushing my CPU hard - then a Custom Loop Cooling System SHOULD solve or at least improve my temps, right?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
FOXCONN?

I wouldn't use a AIO on a TR socket personally, but a 240 should suffice with good thermal compound. It is possible that there is too little or too much on the heat spreader. There were even some aftermarket blocks that go redesigned because of this issue, AFAIK.

Reactions: Raizor

Raizor

Apr 26, 2018
I think its FoxCon or something, yeah. The one's where the screws don't catch on the mount.

Raizor

Apr 26, 2018
So, if its NOT Reason 10, then it's my AIO most likely. I will swap it out tomorrow at Micro Center and be back with updates. Because even the Enermax 240 TR4 was made for at least MODERATE overclocking. But what I dont understand is how it could overheat without even playing? And - how it could play - but be stressing my CPU so much that it overheats. I would think that it just wouldn't play if it stressed it that much.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
So, if its NOT Reason 10, then it's my AIO most likely. I will swap it out tomorrow at Micro Center and be back with updates. Because even the Enermax 240 TR4 was made for at least MODERATE overclocking. But what I dont understand is how it could overheat without even playing? And - how it could play - but be stressing my CPU so much that it overheats. I would think that it just wouldn't play if it stressed it that much.
Almost certainly the CPU is being loaded down with something pretty heavy during these episodes. You could take a look in Task Manager to see what is going on.

I'd say that a proper heat sink or water block mount can be a little touchy to achieve for someone who hasn't done it a lot. It's definitely something to check. Also, you should make sure that the header supplying your pump is supplying adequate voltage as well, make sure it's not plugged into one that is set for "Silent" or something.