Am I the only person that want Youtube to be shut down?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
I don't feel YT is bad entirely just when it come to its gaming section. Developers and Publisher just have to bride and paid popular gaming Youtuber like AngryJoe, Machinia, etc... and those subscriber will buy those games. That is the problem I have.

How's that any different than sport apparel companies paying athletes to wear their stuff, or marketing companies hiring actors for their commercials. I have no problem with that. They're not reviewers, they just play the games and people enjoy that. I would have an issue with reviewers that get paid by the companies whose games they're reviewing, and that's something that's been happening for many years, in magazine reviews, and then in online reviews.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Perhaps but to say that YT has no effect on gaming hype and disappointment cannot be refuted. I don't know how much effect it has, but it still has one nonetheless.
Youtube's hype effect is a subset of a larger industry wide problem (an over-emphasis on marketing and under-emphasis on "first impression" quality control by the publisher who'll often split the AAA budget 50-60% marketing / 40-50% development, and be so obsessed with "hype train" marketing they end up forcing the dev to release early due to running out of time / money in the development side (which itself is just as much a "publisher's resource misallocation" problem as it is "incompetent developer" or "idiot reviewer").

Youtube could disappear tomorrow without replacement, and you'll simply see the same rushed releases by the same publishers blowing the same over-sized marketing budgets on TV ads filled with the usual pre-rendered cutscene heavy "this trailer is not representative of actual gameplay" guff or bought and paid for official reviews gushing over the sparkly bits whilst "forgetting" to mention iffy controls & serious bugs, etc. In that respect, if you only watch the "shiny" official 30 second trailers then yes YT adds to (but is still not the root cause of) the mindless over-hype. But if you dig deeper into actual hour long gameplay vids by the more mature reviewers, then short of a playable demo, you'll often learn a hell of a lot more with it than without it.