Alien Swarm, update of UT2k4 mod by Valve releasing monday (free)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

quadomatic

May 13, 2007
is it supposed to be similar to alien breed?

I looked up a video on youtube, and I guess it looks similar to it. Maybe that's where the original concept for the Alien Swarm UT2K4 mod came from.

Ahhh I can't take the suspense!

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2005
valve r0xorz.

but i heard that there is only one guy working on ep3. and he takes like 3 hour lunch breaks...thats why its taking so long.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Very cool but Valve releasing more and more new stuff just gets me more and more mad when they could be putting resources into a certain episode.

Valve releases a free game and the first response is a whine post...

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
3rd person shooter > yet another generic POS 1st person shooter.
I fully concur. While there are some first person shooters that really shine, the average quality is dropping like a rock. I've never played the original mod, but this game looks pretty decent with friends.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Damn...

As of 20:44PM Eastern Time, I keep getting a "Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request" error, since the past hour it's been doing it. I wasn't expecting that much of a buzz around it, I didn't even get that problem when Mass Effect 2 was released, go figure.

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
damn hard to adjust to the aim system...
had no problems DLing in socal though

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Damn...

As of 20:44PM Eastern Time, I keep getting a "Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request" error, since the past hour it's been doing it. I wasn't expecting that much of a buzz around it, I didn't even get that problem when Mass Effect 2 was released, go figure.

Same thing for me.

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Just went through a play through, was really fun :D

Can't wait for other campaigns, or customs.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
meh, played the orig mod and it was awful, I wonder why Valve even paid for them to make this on Steam....

But, shit, free I might try it out again

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Pretty damn short, but I liked in non-the-less. I think the Tesla cannon and flamethrower seem OP as crap

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Alright, finally finished downloading and played three games (after some off-line practice with bots). It's very fun, it reminds me of Alien Breed a lot, which I liked. There's one thing however... communication in this game is vital just as much as it was in Left 4 Dead, or else most players wander alone, or we get separated and things get ugly very fast. I've only played with strangers and so far only one game out of the three played "properly", everyone tried their best to stay together and we completed the mission (without microphones), but that's going to be rare. I'd say that as long as people play as a team, friends or not, then it's a fun game, I like it.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Holy Shit Insane is hard as hell. My friends and I walked through the hard campaign with no problems, but we keep getting rolled on insane.

l0cke

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2005
This game is great. I would have gladly paid $5 for this even with the one campaign.

One of the best parts is how easy it is to learn. My friend downloaded this because it was free and picked it up right away.

Good job Valve :D

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
yea super short but fan as hell. took awhile to get used to the aiming system for me, probably so used to fps that my mind can't comprehend top down lol

and massive FF here for all games i've joined, people just love to strafe in your line of fire

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Hopefully more campaigns and addons come rolling in. Anyone in EST up for a game today or tomorrow?

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
I've been having fun with this, but most of my friends seem indifferent about it.

A bit short, but sweet. I can't wait to see what modders do with this game. The auto map generator is pretty cool too.

If anyone wants to play tonight, add me as a friend on steam. (steamid: fatpat268 )

Edit: This game also needs some type of competitive mode to really put it over the top. :D

Last edited: