Alien Swarm, update of UT2k4 mod by Valve releasing monday (free)

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
They hired the original devs of the mod and they've converted it to the Source engine.

Alien Swarm is a game and Source SDK release from a group of talented designers at Valve who were hired from the Mod community.

Available free of charge, the game thrusts players into an epic bug hunt featuring a unique blend of co-op play and squad-level tactics. With your friends, form a squad of four distinct IAF Marine classes. Plan your attack using an unlockable arsenal of weapons with countless loadout configurations against a wide variety of aliens. Blaze your way through an overrun, off-world colony, eradicating the alien infestation in environments ranging from the icy planet's surface, to a subterranean lava-flooded mining facility.

Along with the game get the complete code base for Alien Swarm that features updates to the Source engine as well as the SDK. Alien Swarm adds 3rd person camera, depth of field, improved dynamic shadows and a wide variety of gameplay additions to the Source engine.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/630/

:wub: valve

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Very cool but Valve releasing more and more new stuff just gets me more and more mad when they could be putting resources into a certain episode.

simonizor

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2010
Very cool but Valve releasing more and more new stuff just gets me more and more mad when they could be putting resources into a certain episode.

Did you read? They didn't produce this game; they basically paid the people that made it to do it and slapped their name on it. Valve likes to do this a lot. They did it with Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, and Counter Strike. All of these games were mods made by users that Valve liked so much that they purchased the rights to the game and hire on the original developers to produce it. They end up putting out a lot of great games this way, but they don't really put any work into the games themselves.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Did you read? They didn't produce this game; they basically paid the people that made it to do it and slapped their name on it. Valve likes to do this a lot. They did it with Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, and Counter Strike. All of these games were mods made by users that Valve liked so much that they purchased the rights to the game and hire on the original developers to produce it. They end up putting out a lot of great games this way, but they don't really put any work into the games themselves.

I just said resources. They still have to put resources into the game that could go into certain other games.

simonizor

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2010
I just said resources. They still have to put resources into the game that could go into certain other games.
They probably already have enough resources dedicated to that game. I highly doubt that it hasn't been released yet simply because they aren't working on it/don't have enough people working on it. This is Valve we're talking about. They're up there with Blizzard when it comes to trying to make the game as polished as possible before releasing it.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002

And Portal and Left 4 Dead.
In fact, they've bought so many teams that it's confusing as to why they haven't got any people available to work on Ep 3.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
They probably already have enough resources dedicated to that game. I highly doubt that it hasn't been released yet simply because they aren't working on it/don't have enough people working on it. This is Valve we're talking about. They're up there with Blizzard when it comes to trying to make the game as polished as possible before releasing it.

Don't mind me I'm just bitter about Episode 3. I feel like the ex-wife that just got dumped for a younger/hotter woman.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

I just don't think it really works that way.
Better it be done when its done, blizzard style.
I hate rushed games.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Nice, can't wait to give it a try (and it's free, which is awesome of course).

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Alien Breed done in a different way.

I almost peed myself when someone said that Alien Breed copied Alien Swarm on the Steam forums.

Since it's free, it'll be on my 'to check out' list when I'm finished my 'no losses' playthrough of King's Bounty: Armoured Princess.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
I loved the original Alien Swarm, but is this a new game, or just a graphical update/source port? I guess the hey day of mods is over, but it'd be nice to see more high quality, original game ideas for free.

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
I can't believe I totally missed this and was completely unaware till now. I will be playing on day 1 and for many days after this. I absolutely loved Alien Swarm on UT2k4, but the community is mostly dead now. If this all the steam features of friends and some match making type setup I'll be in heaven.

SO STOKED!