Alien: Isolation

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
When I first saw the alien
I was waiting for the transport after it killed axel, I get into the transport and look behind me, I see it drop down from the ceiling just outside the door, I think to myself "meh scripted, bet it'll make some noise then sod off again" but no it walks into the damn transport and kills me! lol.
Thing is dangerous!!
Yeah apparently its different for everyone
For me it I spot it at the very end of the hall just as the transport was about to set. It's just its outline in the mist. It see me and starts charging full speed just as the transpo docks. I am really panicking at this moment to find the button to get the train to start going.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I just played around an hours worth. It now works 100% with the Oculus Rift DK2:
http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2ina7c/how_to_enable_rift_mode_for_alien_isolation_even/

Note: I had to remove < Quality name="Off" precedence="4" /> to make it work.

It was utterly TERRIFYING... I am not usually afraid of the dark but this game really makes you feel it. In most horror games if the lights go out you are still staring at your monitor / lit keyboard / etc and it reminds you that you aren't there. In the rift it is just completely dark. I was wearing a pair of surround sound headphones and I really felt present. I couldn't take it after an hour, my heart was beating too fast. Maybe tomorrow I will get up the courage to play some more. I also played about 5 minutes of survival but I chickened out and quit when the alien started running towards me. Fantastic.

Yeah, I'm playing it on the rift too...it is absolutely unbelievably a million times more frightening than any other game in existence. Like it's not even close, playing on a monitor is a joke compared to this.

So far I've been playing through the story and even though I'm a couple hours in I've only seen glimpses of the alien. But just the few sequences where I've had to hide from humans are already a little too much to handle. Like that first sequence where you cut the generator, that group of four comes into the room looking for you...I'm literally in pitch black hiding behind a box and it really feels like it. I was leaning my head just around the corner and one of them saw me and shined his flashlight in my face and instantly blinded me...words don't even do it justice, I got a chill down my spine and a rush of adrenaline like I'm so[ redacted] right now and I'm about to die. Once the bullets start flying I'm literally ducking my head as I ran for it, like that mattered lol. All these stealth sequences are on a whole other level when you can physically peek around a corner or over a ledge and literally look around.

As [redacted]as the rift can be in so many ways, the experience is kinda ruining "normal" games for me, it really has to be seen to be believed.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
Yeah, I'm playing it on the rift too...it is absolutely unbelievably a million times more frightening than any other game in existence. Like it's not even close, playing on a monitor is a joke compared to this.

So far I've been playing through the story and even though I'm a couple hours in I've only seen glimpses of the alien. But just the few sequences where I've had to hide from humans are already a little too much to handle. Like that first sequence where you cut the generator, that group of four comes into the room looking for you...I'm literally in pitch black hiding behind a box and it really feels like it. I was leaning my head just around the corner and one of them saw me and shined his flashlight in my face and instantly blinded me...words don't even do it justice, I got a chill down my spine and a rush of adrenaline like I'm so fucked right now and I'm about to die. Once the bullets start flying I'm literally ducking my head as I ran for it, like that mattered lol. All these stealth sequences are on a whole other level when you can physically peek around a corner or over a ledge and literally look around.

As shitty as the rift can be in so many ways, the experience is kinda ruining "normal" games for me, it really has to be seen to be believed.

In front of the generator switch, on the floor, is a panel that you can open to climb down into to escape basically under the window and pop up where they were originally standing when you gained their attention.

There are multiple routes in this game. Look for floor panels. :awe:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

So far I've been playing through the story and even though I'm a couple hours in I've only seen glimpses of the alien. But just the few sequences where I've had to hide from humans are already a little too much to handle. Like that first sequence where you cut the generator, that group of four comes into the room looking for you...I'm literally in pitch black hiding behind a box and it really feels like it. I was leaning my head just around the corner and one of them saw me and shined his flashlight in my face and instantly blinded me...words don't even do it justice, I got a chill down my spine and a rush of adrenaline like I'm so fucked right now and I'm about to die. Once the bullets start flying I'm literally ducking my head as I ran for it, like that mattered lol. All these stealth sequences are on a whole other level when you can physically peek around a corner or over a ledge and literally look around.

As shitty as the rift can be in so many ways, the experience is kinda ruining "normal" games for me, it really has to be seen to be believed.

Dammit you are making me want a rift, and I've been holding out for the commercial version.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Dammit you are making me want a rift, and I've been holding out for the commercial version.

I mean don't get me wrong, the DK2 is garbage and unacceptable in so many ways, and there is nothing else to play that's even remotely close to as impressive as AI. It is totally not ready for consumers...but even with all its limitations, even though it's blurry as hell and it's like strapping a lunchbox to your face....it's still so damn incredible. It's the difference between playing a game and being inside the game. No amount of money spent on monitors and GPUs can even come close.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Well, I am going to purchase this when I get home. Hopefully, when I get home from seeing Phillip DeFranco my body will be ready for some Alien invasion. >_<

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
In front of the generator switch, on the floor, is a panel that you can open to climb down into to escape basically under the window and pop up where they were originally standing when you gained their attention.

There are multiple routes in this game. Look for floor panels. :awe:

Lol there was a bunch of murderers on the other side of a window, I wasn't really thinking things through. :p

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I am a visuals sucker, read that this game should be a looker, so I got it along side shadow of mordor.
Maybe it is not fair booting up this game after a session of mordor, but the first thing that struck me with this game was "xbox360/ps3 port" based on the way people moved, textures etc. Only added detail looked like sweat and perhaps a single scene with nicely detailed face structure.
The second thing that 'hit me' was "ouch my head" .. something is wrong with the dimensions here, walking around I feel like I should smack my forehead into every little detail in the ceiling. (I know, spaceship, but this character is female ... compute the rest).
Third thing, during a dialog with a crewmember, you can move to the other end of the ship and the dialog will maintain the same volume.
Fourth thing, movement sometimes feel buggy, like when climbing stairs, suddenly x-axis mouse sensitivity is increased 10 fold.
Fifth thing, first actual obstruction/mission is "Find a way to get power back online".. And I just have this feeling that "getting power back online" is something i've done a bizillion times allready in every other single fps/maze kind of game. Its been done. To death. At least take it for spin, color it up, put lipstick on it.. Something, dont cliche me to death.
Meh, as I said, problary not fair with mordor being fresh in memory and all.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I mean don't get me wrong, the DK2 is garbage and unacceptable in so many ways, and there is nothing else to play that's even remotely close to as impressive as AI. It is totally not ready for consumers...but even with all its limitations, even though it's blurry as hell and it's like strapping a lunchbox to your face....it's still so damn incredible. It's the difference between playing a game and being inside the game. No amount of money spent on monitors and GPUs can even come close.

I just wish they would get some 'final' hardware out the door. Soon. All these iterations begins to remind me of a DukenukemForever-like scenario.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I just wish they would get some 'final' hardware out the door. Soon. All these iterations begins to remind me of a DukenukemForever-like scenario.

The DK2 is a fully functional product, not vaporware. It's just nowhere near good enough yet, and if the new prototype is just 1440p, that's not good enough either. It really needs a 4K screen in there minimum, and 6 inch 4K screens are going to be crazy expensive, if they even exist.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
The DK2 is a fully functional product, not vaporware. It's just nowhere near good enough yet, and if the new prototype is just 1440p, that's not good enough either. It really needs a 4K screen in there minimum, and 6 inch 4K screens are going to be crazy expensive, if they even exist.

DK2 as in DevelopmentKit2.0, I get it.. But the way you describe it, the way others describe it, while not *perfect* it may just be good enough for a Rift1.0 release? Get the industry going, gain momentum etc.
Who says that a game has to be 100% VR ready.. I can see a niche where only parts of a game is "VR" optimized.. and let those parts fit the areas where DK2-like hardware is "good enough". Lets begin the VR revolution allready.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
DK2 as in DevelopmentKit2.0, I get it.. But the way you describe it, the way others describe it, while not *perfect* it may just be good enough for a Rift1.0 release? Get the industry going, gain momentum etc.
Who says that a game has to be 100% VR ready.. I can see a niche where only parts of a game is "VR" optimized.. and let those parts fit the areas where DK2-like hardware is "good enough". Lets begin the VR revolution allready.

No. VR is a tech that has been tried over and over in the past and failed. It needs to be as good as it can be before it is released to the masses or it will just fail again. It is too expensive to just put out an alpha version. Most people aren't going to keep upgrading every year. If you are in a hurry, then purchase a DK2. There is nothing stopping you.

I personally am waiting for a more fleshed out version. This is just the tip of the iceberg and it will only get better, assuming most kinks are worked out prior to it going mass market. The screens themselves need to have a much higher resolution before they appeal to everyone.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
a54224c59b.png

65777119a3.png

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
So, I was 3 hours into this game before I finally ran into the Alien, and now that bastard won't leave me alone.

I first ran into it right after you get the dr's passcode in medical and the quarantine alarms go off. Now he's all over those halls looking for me..and yes, the AI does seem to 'know' where you are, but unless he flat out spots you, he won't find you. Meaning, I hid behind a desk and he didn't see me, but he did keep coming in the room. Same thing in every other room I was in. He did find me in a locker, I thought I was pressed back but apparently I wasn't. That was scary lol.

Also, a bit of something I figured out that helps you know when something is getting close or spotted you.

The music does the horror music build when something is coming and/or has seen you.

Mostly, those damn robots are always in my way :)

Very tense game and enjoying it greatly.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Haven't bought it. Watched a couple people's lets plays for the first 4-5 hours of gameplay. Watched someone else for the remaining 8 hours. I still haven't seen the ending though. The footage stopped right as the dude was about to win the game.

But, I have to say... it feels like this game just fucking drags on after the 5th hour.

Spoiler:
After you eject the alien in the pod and space fly back to the main ship. You're like, "Whew, that's the end, right? Not bad." And then it keeps going... and you're like, "Oh, the robots. Neat little playthrough in space... Okay... this is taking a long time... but hey, these really fucking annoying robots... wait, wtf. There's a nest? Alright... wait, it's still go-.. you've .. HOW MANY FUCKING ALIEN MOVIES IS THIS GOD DAMN GAME GOING TO INCORPORATE RATHER THAN COME UP WITH GENUINELY NEW IDEAS? HOW MUCH DO YOU HAVE TO DRAG THIS GAME OUT IN EVERY FUCKING WAY POSSIBLE? OMFG, LET IT BE OVER. SO DONE WITH THIS SHIT"

Those were my feelings.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Haven't bought it. Watched a couple people's lets plays for the first 4-5 hours of gameplay. Watched someone else for the remaining 8 hours. I still haven't seen the ending though. The footage stopped right as the dude was about to win the game.

But, I have to say... it feels like this game just fucking drags on after the 5th hour.

Those were my feelings.

I'll say it this way. I learned early on watching "let's play" videos in no way is like playing the game. I don't even bother with them if I'm at all interested. That being said, it is really a hide and seek game, so if you don't like it, I can see where it would drag.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Saw the ending now.

Completes my feelings about the game. It drags on in every fucking way possible. Instead of hitting one button, they make you hit fifty buttons just to drag out gameplay as long as possible. As if that makes it more enjoyable.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
So, I was 3 hours into this game before I finally ran into the Alien, and now that bastard won't leave me alone.

I first ran into it right after you get the dr's passcode in medical and the quarantine alarms go off. Now he's all over those halls looking for me..and yes, the AI does seem to 'know' where you are, but unless he flat out spots you, he won't find you. Meaning, I hid behind a desk and he didn't see me, but he did keep coming in the room. Same thing in every other room I was in. He did find me in a locker, I thought I was pressed back but apparently I wasn't. That was scary lol.

Also, a bit of something I figured out that helps you know when something is getting close or spotted you.

The music does the horror music build when something is coming and/or has seen you.

Mostly, those damn robots are always in my way :)

Very tense game and enjoying it greatly.

I went through a few stages during that encounter...

- too scared to move... or do anything really, died many times
- fearless as fawk, charging it with the pistol/melee/flaretotheface, died so many times
- reading a forum for tips... one said "keep moving, don't stay in one place for long"

That tip seems to work, ive noticed it can be campy if you stay in one place long. Being mobile yet slow and careful seems to work okay. Remember... don't be hysterical ;)