Alien: Isolation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
That game looks fairly decent, although I played my fair share of space games.

I don't think I can dedicate time to this one because of the time spent and because I get bored of them nowadays because they are all relatively similar.

What does that even mean? Similar to what? This game's premise is rather different, and doesn't fall in line with most "space games" (and what do you mean by that? Space sims? Space FPS?)

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
This is a survival horror, set in space with the villain being an Alien. I really hope this game turns out good, as it has pretty much everything I like.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I've pre-ordered this game and I plan on playing it the night it comes out. I'd be happy to let everyone know what my thoughts are on it.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
I would be excited for this game if I didn't know anything about the Alien franchise. I've watched all the movies at least 4 times so the sense of horror probably wont be there for me. I like the premise, but I cant help but feel I know how the game will play out. Its a shame because I'm huge fan of the series. There needs to be a story twist to intrigue me, I already know the ins and out of the series.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I would be excited for this game if I didn't know anything about the Alien franchise. I've watched all the movies at least 4 times so the sense of horror probably wont be there for me. I like the premise, but I cant help but feel I know how the game will play out. Its a shame because I'm huge fan of the series. There needs to be a story twist to intrigue me, I already know the ins and out of the series.

I see where you're coming from, but I always figure the end doesn't have to be as good as the journey, if the journey itself is great. I hope they stick with the Alien formula. You're basically helpless and are being stalked by the Alien. At the end, you either escape or kill the Alien. I don't want some stupid twist "You're the Alien's mother!" or some silly crap. It ruins the concept and the idea behind a survival horror.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

Well, this is an unexplored angle of the storyline so, it should be for the most part, original. Either way, if Amnesia at all set your nerves high, then even if this is mildly good it should do the same. Granted, I have this weird feeling that there will be some game breaking bug/hack where you can basically beat it unscathed in 2-3 minutes which will just ruin it :)

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
I see where you're coming from, but I always figure the end doesn't have to be as good as the journey, if the journey itself is great. I hope they stick with the Alien formula. You're basically helpless and are being stalked by the Alien. At the end, you either escape or kill the Alien. I don't want some stupid twist "You're the Alien's mother!" or some silly crap. It ruins the concept and the idea behind a survival horror.

I guess the journey could be great. I can 100% believe that and back it if they make it a really good survival game. I wouldn't mind it so much then. As for the twist, nothing that extreme lol.

Maybe some more in depth character development? I would also like to see it very lore heavy using the original works of fiction.

I've also actually never played any of the Alien games, after the Colonial Marines disaster I'm wondering if this franchise could get the formula right, maybe survival is the perfect fit.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I guess the journey could be great. I can 100% believe that and back it if they make it a really good survival game. I wouldn't mind it so much then. As for the twist, nothing that extreme lol.

Maybe some more in depth character development? I would also like to see it very lore heavy using the original works of fiction.

I've also actually never played any of the Alien games, after the Colonial Marines disaster I'm wondering if this franchise could get the formula right, maybe survival is the perfect fit.

Honestly the only good Aliens game ever was Aliens vs Predator 2 (the old old one). You would think a storyline with so much potential someone could get it right.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
So, this game's release date has been set for October and pre-orders are currently available right now. You can grab it for $37 on GMG with discount code ALIENI-SOLATI-ON25PC.

Really, really tempted to pull the trigger on this one, since I'm such a big sucker for horror games. But The Evil Within also comes out in the same month and I think that one is a little more promising. Decisions, decisions.

If you're thinking of pre-ordering, you already messed up. I've done it a few times. Never again. Unless it's a "safe" bet from blizzard or something where I know what to expect. Otherwise, never pre-order.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Dude, spoiler tag!

I predict this will be a smash hit and usher in the amazing new First Person Hider genre.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Surprised there is nobody "playing" it.. with some thoughts, as its "out there" already.. I was tempted, but as its some of my favorite movies and AVP for the jag, and the very first AvP for the PC where favorite games i have held off. I'm not as hard on the last batch of games, but i do agree the colony Marines was a buggy mess. I didn't mind Rebellions last AvP game, not great, maybe not even good, but ok.. it at least had a feel of aliens.

Trivia: did you know Weaver was not the first choice for Ripley? Cartwright (Lambert) was. It was set till they started shooting and it was changed. Also H Ford was to be cast as the Dallas character but he felt it was too soon to do more space movies.

and the original name: Star Beast

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
>_> That is the plot of Alien 4, IIRC.
Could be, I really don't remember. The first two were great, the other two were - not.

Point is that watching a movie is inherently passive, whereas playing a game is inherently proactive. But that's largely my personal objection; seems like a reasonable number of people are happy with the concept of hiding for several hours, so if it's well done it should sell well.

blake0812

Feb 6, 2014
Reminds me of Routine. Though it reminds me more of Amnesia, I didn't like the latest installment in the Amnesia franchise. Can't believe I preordered that. Good thing I got a refund!

Gigantopithecus

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2004
Getting pumped for this one. Any ideas what the GPU requirements might be? I have a 750 Ti but might upgrade to a newer, more powerful Maxwell-based card solely for this game.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Getting pumped for this one. Any ideas what the GPU requirements might be? I have a 750 Ti but might upgrade to a newer, more powerful Maxwell-based card solely for this game.

System requirements

http://alienisolation.com/news/2014/09/10/for-all-you-pc-gamers

Minimum PC Specifications are:

Operating System: Windows 7 (32bit)
Processor: 3.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
RAM: 4GB RAM
Hard Drive: 35GB required for installation
Video Card: 1GB DirectX® 11 (AMD Radeon HD 5550 or Nvidia GeForce GT 430)
Broadband Internet Connection

Recommended PC Specifications are:

Operating System: Windows 7 (64bit)
Processor: AMD: Phenom II X4 955 – 4 Core, 3.2 GHz or INTEL: Core 2 Quad Q9650 – 4 Core, 3.0 Ghz
RAM: 8GB RAM
Hard Drive: 35GB required for installation
Video Card: 2GB DirectX® 11 (AMD GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series or Nvidia gpu: GeForce GTX660)
Broadband Internet Connection

750 Ti should be able to run it fine, obviously not on the highest settings but it should still look decent.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Professional reviews are worthless IMO. Gonna wait for some user reviews to show up on metacritic/amazon/anywhere before I touch this.

I remember the first few professional reviews of the recent Simcity game were positive and only after the users started hating on it and it became a big thing did a few mediocre/negative professional reviews show up.