Alec Baldwin shoots and kills a woman, injures a man.

Page 36 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Baldwin is guilty in my opinion. Will he be found guilty by a jury? I have no idea, but as with all others accused of a crime, he is going to be punished by the process. Sorry if my being honest offends you. Hmmm............ actually not sorry for offending you with the truth.

I just think your monomaniacal stance, that is transparently driven purely by unrelated political partisanship, is a bit embarrassing for you. Seems to suggest you lack self-awareness of your own motives.

Me, I don't hugely care if he's found guilty or not (don't particularly like the guy or even his particular politics), though the case looks _extremely_ murky and consequently weak, so if I suspect he won't be. Would rather see stronger, and better-enforced, health-and-safety laws, along with stronger unions to stick up for them.

Reactions: Perknose
Jul 9, 2009
Just an update. It looks as though Baldwin was actively careless and negligent with a firearm on more than one occasion on the set of Rust. No surprise to me.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Just an update. It looks as though Baldwin was actively careless and negligent with a firearm on more than one occasion on the set of Rust. No surprise to me.

You’re going to be so sad when the incredibly obvious result happens. It will be very funny to me.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
They trusted this person to keep safe props on set.
Something tells me they should have at least hired one other to dbl check. Given the consequences of when you don't, and the first armorer fails to do their job.

Reactions: igor_kavinski
Feb 4, 2009
They trusted this person to keep safe props on set.
Something tells me they should have at least hired one other to dbl check. Given the consequences of when you don't, and the first armorer fails to do their job.
If I remember correctly there should be three doing essentially what you said.
At least there should be three as a best practice.

Feb 4, 2009
Question from someone who doesn't know a lot about guns.

Why can they make firearms with barrels a slightly smaller caliber for movies so live rounds don't fit?
Probably do however let’s remember this is obviously a low budget movie, obvious safety measures were skipped.
I bet the small barrel gun costs more and they’d skip it.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

Why can they make firearms with barrels a slightly smaller caliber for movies so live rounds don't fit?

Depending on the gun in question, that sounds like a terrible idea with the malfunction directed backwards towards the "shooter".

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

Probably, but then blanks won't fit either. That's fine if it's just a prop, but there's a hundred ways to make a pure, non firing prop look like a real gun while not being one.

Blank-only guns aren't a thing since they'd cost a lot and blanks for relevant calibers are cheap.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Probably, but then blanks won't fit either. That's fine if it's just a prop, but there's a hundred ways to make a pure, non firing prop look like a real gun while not being one.

Blank-only guns aren't a thing since they'd cost a lot and blanks for relevant calibers are cheap.
So this lady's life and Brandon Lee's life are not worth the cost of making live rounds NOT fit? You only have to fix the guns that get "fired" at people on set.
That's a lame argument.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
18 months.

Yer Up Alex!
She should absolutely go to prison and I think just about everyone agreed on that from the start. I would be very surprised if anything happens to Alec Baldwin.

I think while he's a fun actor he's by all accounts a horrible human being, but we're not going to convict people of criminal negligence for assuming a firearm was not dangerous when the people on set tasked with determining that told him so.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Did he point a weapon at a person?

Was that person harmed?

If you answered Yes, to both question, he can ONLY be guilty.
That is a laughably wrong description of the law.

Like, I don't know where you heard this but this is not even remotely how the real world works.

If you think you're correct then by all means explain why Michael Massee was never convicted of anything.

Reactions: pmv

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
So this lady's life and Brandon Lee's life are not worth the cost of making live rounds NOT fit? You only have to fix the guns that get "fired" at people on set.
That's a lame argument.

It's the "bigger idiot" problem in safety engineering/design. There are already things that were violated that day, by the credentialed professional who was supposed to ensure wouldn't happen. e.g. Unsecured live ammo floating around on the set, or being handled the same day that 'mock' firing would occur, nobody really accounting for the live rounds. If someone can 'mix up' or 'confuse' these basics, some one else can 'mix up' or 'confuse' the rounds they have brought to the set.

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
She should absolutely go to prison and I think just about everyone agreed on that from the start. I would be very surprised if anything happens to Alec Baldwin.

I think while he's a fun actor he's by all accounts a horrible human being, but we're not going to convict people of criminal negligence for assuming a firearm was not dangerous when the people on set tasked with determining that told him so.
I doubt he'll be found guilty as an actor, but I think he may be found guilty as a producer if he was in any way in charge of the armorer and/or responsible for the terrible protocols on set regarding firearms.