Alcohol? Not in My Cab!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

firewall

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2001
Originally posted by: dahunan
And ... if they owned all the taxis.. then what? WE ARE FORCED to use more difficult or time consuming forms of transportation? The only time that matters to those crazy zealots is when they have to kneel down and pray..

That is assuming that they own all the taxis. Give me proof of this in the form of a list of driving licenses and proof of ownership for the cabs. As I previously said, take off the tinfoil hat and enjoy the warm sunshine....

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: firewall
Originally posted by: dna
Originally posted by: Rainsford
That IS being bigoted...you are discriminating based on religion, NOT because you want to transport alcohol and the cabbie won't let you. The suggestion is to refuse to use a Muslim taxi whether or not you have alcohol and whether or not the taxi driver would refuse to transport it. So alcohol isn't the primary factor in your decision, the driver's religion is.

Isn't the driver discriminating based on religion? The only difference is that the driver is using his religion in the discrimination process, and not the passanger's.
You could say that he is discriminating against non-muslims.

Might I remind you not all non-Muslims drink wine?

It's like if I personally don't like smoking, I don't make any friends who smoke... my loss as I will have fewer friends. I can bring religion in the argument to support my actions... it doesn't mean that it is the fault of the religion.

Huh? He is discriminating against people who do not follow his religion and the principles of that religion.

firewall

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2001
Can I refuse to let anyone in my cab who is wearing clothing that offends me.. and that clothing happens to be religious attire?

Yes. BTW, didn't knew you were a cab driver... :p

Thanks for that bit of info. ;)

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
The women, Buzek, who's been quoted says that she doesn't expects anybody to adjust to her needs and doesn't wants to impose her beliefs on other people, when in effect, she is trying to impose her belief on the cab drivers.

Ehm... the women didn't impose any beliefs -- she just wanted to go from point A to point B without having to dispose of some of her belongings.

What she expected (above) seems to be very much in line with what a taxi driver's job is.

She imposed the belief that she shouldn't BE FORCED to wear a burqua *however in the hell you spell it* HOW DARE HER --- biatch.. get in your place and do as you are told

yeah know your place woman!!! Okay swety Pie...honey-- Ill be back i have to put the wash in the dryer and put the other load in the washing machine.

Also did you want decaf or regular coffee from starbucks my dear??

Jun 27, 2005
Can I refuse to let anyone in my cab who is wearing clothing that offends me.. and that clothing happens to be religious attire?

Well, it is your cab and you do have the right to refuse service to anyone. But I would suggest that any company that made strict moral judgements about every customer and based their decision to engage in commerce with those customers on those judgements isn't going to be in business very long.

I've read your other questions. In a bizarro, alternate universe where muslims controlled every cab in the world we'd have a lot more people killed by drunk drivers. But thank God we don't live in a static economy and your scenario isn't even remotely possible.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002

Yes. BTW, didn't knew you were a cab driver... :p

Thanks for that bit of info. ;)

Nah :D .. I might be better off if I was.. wouldn't be sitting here working 13,000 posts of wasted life at AT

I will rephrase
Can cabbies refuse to let anyone in their cab who is wearing clothing that offends them.. and that clothing happens to be religious attire?

;)

imported_dna

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2006

It's like if I personally don't like smoking, I don't make any friends who smoke... my loss as I will have fewer friends. I can bring religion in the argument to support my actions... it doesn't mean that it is the fault of the religion.

Am I totally wrong if I assume that most people don't conform to some religious restriction regarding alcohol?
Anyway, point is that he is using religion to discriminate.

As for your smoking analogy -- it doesn't really work out, unless you're paying your friends to drive you around, and they all have a "friend license" issued by the city/state.

firewall

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2001

Huh? He is discriminating against people who do not follow his religion and the principles of that religion.

They are refusing their services on the basis of their belief. I can do the same if I were a cab driver just like you can. You are deliberately trying to give this a religious twist.

firewall

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
I've read your other questions. In a bizarro, alternate universe where muslims controlled every cab in the world we'd have a lot less people killed by drunk drivers. But thank God we don't live in a static economy and your scenario isn't even remotely possible.

Fixed. There would be less drunk drivers on the roads.

Horus

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2003
Here's a solution.

LEAVE. RELIGION. AT. THE. MOSQUE/TEMPLE/CHURCH etc.

But of course not. That will NEVER happen as long as it can be flaunted in someone's face that YOU believe something THEY don't!

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

Well, it is your cab and you do have the right to refuse service to anyone. But I would suggest that any company that made strict moral judgements about every customer and based their decision to engage in commerce with those customers on those judgements isn't going to be in business very long.

I've read your other questions. In a bizarro, alternate universe where muslims controlled every cab in the world we'd have a lot more people killed by drunk drivers. But thank God we don't live in a static economy and your scenario isn't even remotely possible.

Well.. nearly 700 of them are Somalis.. many (too vague) are Muslim .. This leaves 200 cabbies to be bought out by Akeem Prince of Zamunda who even has his own money :D

Originally posted by: ntdz
meh.... what are you crying about?

Those affected by this should just get some other cab. If the cab driver wants to lose his business, so be it.

There are no other cabs...Arabs drive all the cabs now :p

From the linked article:

About three-quarters of the 900 taxi drivers at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport are Somalis, many of them Muslim.

Arabs are not all Muslims. Even the article says "many" Somalis. Many could be as much 55% or as much as 99%. No conclusive figure has been given.

firewall

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2001
I will rephrase
Can cabbies refuse to let anyone in their cab who is wearing clothing that offends them.. and that clothing happens to be religious attire?

;)

I already answered. Yes!

If some nude (that's her belief!) hot (just to make it easier to decide... :D ) woman came to your cab (let's assume ;) ), would you refuse her cause you dislike her clothes... or lack thereof since you don't believe in her belief?

If you do, you are the loser, not the woman.

imported_dna

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2006
They are refusing their services on the basis of their belief. I can do the same if I were a cab driver just like you can. You are deliberately trying to give this a religious twist.

Taxi services are regulated.
Here's an excerpt about Chicago:
Drivers are required to pick up the first or closest passenger they see, and may not refuse a fare anywhere within the city.

Since Taxis are regulated by the city/state, I don't think that the city/state can sanction discrimination based on religion, without violating church and state separation.

What's gonna be next? Refuse to carry any passengers carrying Pork meat?

fjord

Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Originally posted by: fjord
In this context, the next logical step is that Muslim cab drivers (and by extension other services and professions) won't pick-up any non-muslims, only Muslims can be serviced by Muslims.

And equally Catholic cab drivers would only pick-up Catholic passengers, etc, etc., etc..

Bad progression and impossible business model if it occurs, it is one thing to request that someone surrender their booze when riding in one's cab, it is another to alienate the majority of the population from one's service (and thus reduce one's income). If that (banning people not of one's dogma) happens (which it will not) then bye bye said cab company and hello bankruptcy.

The Muslim cab drivers in question are not forcing religion on their customers, they (the cab drivers) just don?t want to break their own religious code by traveling with the customer's booze.

How can picking-up a fare that has a bottle of booze interfere with the religious beliefs or practices of a cab driver?

I am not asking a proceedural/Muslim rule book question. I am asking a real-world/rational/physical universe/epistemological question.

It floors me how irrational we have stayed throughout the several millenia our species has existed.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
I will rephrase

;)

I already answered. Yes!

If some nude (that's her belief!) hot (just to make it easier to decide... :D ) woman came to your cab (let's assume ;) ), would you refuse her cause you dislike her clothes... or lack thereof since you don't believe in her belief?

Nope.. I would get to pick and choose who I discriminated against .. maybe just certain religious clothing bothered me etc..

**the strange thing about this discussion is that I almost hate alcoholics.. and alcoholism.. they have tricked the world into believing their drinking habits are impossible to quit.. while they live horrible and miserable lives and infect the lives of their children and wives etc..

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I assume Minnesota regulates cabs pretty much like any other state, and to able to pick up passengers at the airport (an extremely lucrative part of the cabbie business) they must have the appropriate permits. Cabs are public transportation, if these drivers/companies don't want to service some airport customers then they should not have permits to service any customers at the airport.

If the customer is not doing anything illegal, and not interfering with the driver's ability to operate the cab, these drivers have to decide for themselves whether their religious preferences will bar them from the job of cab drivers.

I feel the same way about these cabbies as about the pharmacists who refuse to dispense medications because those medications offend their religious/ "moral" beliefs. If you don't want to do the job, get out of the business.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001

Drivers are required to pick up the first or closest passenger they see, and may not refuse a fare anywhere within the city.

Since Taxis are regulated by the city/state, I don't think that the city/state can sanction discrimination based on religion, without violating church and state separation.

State/Federal/Local laws MUST take precedence over religious "law", or society will break down (as evidenced here by the taxi service not working for everyone).

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
That IS being bigoted...you are discriminating based on religion, NOT because you want to transport alcohol and the cabbie won't let you. The suggestion is to refuse to use a Muslim taxi whether or not you have alcohol and whether or not the taxi driver would refuse to transport it. So alcohol isn't the primary factor in your decision, the driver's religion is.

Isn't the driver discriminating based on religion? The only difference is that the driver is using his religion in the discrimination process, and not the passanger's.
You could say that he is discriminating against non-muslims.

I never said the driver wasn't, I don't see why what some drivers might do entitles you to discriminate against all of them.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Thump553
I assume Minnesota regulates cabs pretty much like any other state, and to able to pick up passengers at the airport (an extremely lucrative part of the cabbie business) they must have the appropriate permits. Cabs are public transportation, if these drivers/companies don't want to service some airport customers then they should not have permits to service any customers at the airport.

If the customer is not doing anything illegal, and not interfering with the driver's ability to operate the cab, these drivers have to decide for themselves whether their religious preferences will bar them from the job of cab drivers.

I feel the same way about these cabbies as about the pharmacists who refuse to dispense medications because those medications offend their religious/ "moral" beliefs. If you don't want to do the job, get out of the business.
I agree 100 percent.

If these cabs are regulated like these New York City cabs, are they are opening themselves up to a legal challenge? This is the regulation in New York City
Regulations: In order to legally pick up customers, the cab must have a city issued medallion displayed on the front. Information on the process of becoming a taxi medallion owner is availble from the NYC Taxi & Limousine Commission's Owner Section, or on-line at the How To Become A Taxi Medallion Owner portion of the TLC website. In addition, a yellow cab must have a fare meter, and a posting with the driver's license, photograph and the cab's medallion number displayed on the dividing shield. If these are not available you may be riding in an unauthorized gypsy cab. (See below for more information on gypsy cabs.) Yellow medallion taxis are the only transport service allowed to cruise for, and to accept street hails. It is illegal for a taxicab driver to refuse to take a passenger to a destination, disregard traffic and safety laws, accept hails while their off-duty light is on, or to charge more than the regulation fare. A complaint may be lodged against any driver who violates regulations. (See below for more information on the process of filing a complaint.) Cab drivers must have have a TLC Taxicab Operator's License. Information on obtaining a taxi driver's license is available at the TLC Licensing Division or on-line at the How To Apply For A Taxi Driver's License section of the TLC website. You can print out the entire set of TLC regulations for Taxi Drivers and Owners at the TLC website.

Imagine if the majority of taxi drivers refused to take people who left their cars to avoid a DWI offense home from the bar, social functions, etc., because the smell of alcohol on them offends their religious beliefs;)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I think getting those drivers to use deoderant is a more pressing concern. Is that against their religion or is it just a Somalian thing?

imported_K3N

Golden Member
Dec 20, 2005
What'll be next? Muslim cab drivers banning people with pictures of pigs on their t-shirts? Or refusing to transport women whom are scantily dressed? If he doesnt like people carrying booze in his cab, then he can move back to his own country and be a taxi driver there. A taxi is a public service, this driver is simply discriminating, and lacks religious tolerance. And as someone else

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Most cabbies up here don't even care if you drink in the back of the cab on the way to the bar...:)

imported_dna

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2006
I never said the driver wasn't, I don't see why what some drivers might do entitles you to discriminate against all of them.

To nip it in the bud.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner.

/Thread

But, before we go, I was a cab driver for a few, brief, financially unrewarding months back in the day in Media, Pa.

Kaiser Cab. Ya wohl, ich kid you not.

Penna. state regulations, so we were told, prohibit any cabbie from transporting a fare to and from a liquor store (State Store in Pa.), let alone going and buying and transporting said liquor back to them.

I know this because there was an old blind black lady who lived alone who would regularly call in for a cabbie to go buy her weekly spirits for her.

Doing this simple act of personal kindness made felons of us all, I guess, but not once did any of us hesitate for even one moment.

No other point save humanity > dogma each and every time. This thread just brought that small but pleasant memory back to mind, is all. One of the dispatchers seemed sane enough until he began earnestly and energetically telling you about the interstellar rocket he was building in his garage. :p

Somewhere I have a poem that touches on my Kaiser Cab stint. If I find it, I'll append it, I'm in that kind of Sunday morning reflective mood.

On the personal scale most folks instinctively accomadate each other, and simply get along. It's only the cosmically overarching BIG IDEAS AND DOGMA, stripped of the human scale, that turn us into murderous enemies of each other.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
As a former cab driver I can tell you that passengers should NOT be allowed to drink in cabs.
However, people should have the right to cab service if they have been drinking.
UNLESS they are intoxicated. Then it should be up to the cab driver whether to take the person in their cab.
This is coming from someone who has had to clean up puke 5-6 times from passengers who were intoxicated.