Alabama police officers suspended for hand gesture linked to 'circle game'

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Maybe. I'm hoping that Trump is the pinnacle and people learn from this. My worry is that instead of learning, and pushing back against ideas, the sides are just fighting.

What has me worried is that at this point, I think the Left could not put someone forward that could unify them.

For example, I like Biden. I would vote for him over Trump 10000000000000x over. But, there are many on the Left that would say he is just another old white male. Or, he likes guns so he supports murdering people. I don't know of anyone they could put up because they are doing with the Right does.

The Right has been electing more extreme people and pushing out moderates. There is no way the Left is going to vote for someone that wants to "cross the isle" because the Right is evil/immoral.

We have a chance if we can tone it down and be reasonable, but, even that is under attack on the Left right now. We have 2 years to change the discourse so its possible.

The left has tried those methods, what did it get them?

Now, we're seeing republicans roll back the calendar, promising to bring back the America of yesteryear, obvious lies are obvious. Brace yourself, America is going to become more conservative and fundamentalists will delight in others sorrow once again.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The left has tried those methods, what did it get them?

Obama

Now, we're seeing republicans roll back the calendar, promising to bring back the America of yesteryear, obvious lies are obvious. Brace yourself, America is going to become more conservative and fundamentalists will delight in others sorrow once again.

If the extreme on either side wins its bad. I worry that the Left is fragmenting itself and will not be able to unify.

We will see though.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Well, the Extreme Right would be part of the either side, so no.

Historical examples of either extreme winning has not been good.

And yet you're focused on the left, while the extreme right is running the show. I dont get you at all.

The left has gotten shit by being understanding and trying to be cooperative.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
And yet you're focused on the left, while the extreme right is running the show. I dont get you at all.

The left has gotten shit by being understanding and trying to be cooperative.

That is because you only see me engage people on this Forum which is probably 80/20 split Left/Right on P&N. So that for sure is part of it. There is more though.

The Right is dominated by religious ideologues. Trying to reach people that have positions through feeling cannot happen through reason usually. The Left for a long time has been the side of logic, reason, and debate. I can't appeal to emotion through text very well, and there are not many to talk to here. But, it would be a waste anyway as they don't typically reach their position by logic so debate would not matter.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
That is because you only see me engage people on this Forum which is probably 80/20 split Left/Right on P&N. So that for sure is part of it. There is more though.

The Right is dominated by religious ideologues. Trying to reach people that have positions through feeling cannot happen through reason usually. The Left for a long time has been the side of logic, reason, and debate. I can't appeal to emotion through text very well, and there are not many to talk to here. But, it would be a waste anyway as they don't typically reach their position by logic so debate would not matter.

So, fuck your feels, yes?

Mar 11, 2004
What this hand signal means to most people doesn't matter, nor does it matter if its "trolling" because what you're too stupid to understand is that, their "trolling" is them being comfortable with people thinking they're flashing a hidden signal to white supremacists. That you ignore that they're fine with you thinking they're white supremacist, even if they're not, shows you're a fucking moron that doesn't understand that is exactly what actual white supremacists want. They want to normalize people viewing their beliefs as common and even if you might disagree with them will tolerate them. They want useful idiots like you to think its a joke and to get in on the joke because you're doing exactly what they want.

Not that the two of you desperately trying to defend this aren't easy to see through with how regularly you defend far more blatantly racist shit. But just pointing out that even if you were honestly just that stupid that maybe you might think about how you're actually perfectly playing into what white supremacists want. I'd laugh everytime I see the "but liberals are so focused on identity politics that they're ignoring the real problems, so they're to blame!" if it wasn't for the fact that it is enabling actual racism/bigotry to perpetuate. I really can't understand how you people making that criticism can't see you are doing exactly what you say is so bad. You're the ones focusing on this alleged focus on identity politics and ignoring real problems, and your best argument is that you think that because 4Chan is easily manipulated to support white supremacist shit in the name of "trolling" that somehow means it isn't real or doesn't matter (while ignoring that its still exactly what white supremacists want)? Or constantly trying to argue minuscule pedantic aspects that you seemingly believe completely changes the entirety of things? Literally no one wastes more time arguing about identity politics than you idiots - because you're too stupid to notice that you're the ones viewing talking about racism/sexism/other pointed bigotry as a waste. Furthermore is how you constantly argue that people should just ignore it and grow thicker skin, yet you can't do the same about other people talking about it (thus you give it weight by not ignoring it), when its objectively a far less serious thing to be pissing and moaning about.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Secret hand signs and symbols have a long history, whether this is innocuous or not will take time.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
So, fuck your feels, yes?

To an extent yes, but, its directed at both sides. The Right happens to be the one that has the most feels though. Most of what they do is based on their feelings and less about logic.

Ironically, its not always the case as we see with immigration. Their feels are very much tribal sadly.

The Left is about breaking down walls and making everyone equal. The Right is about building walls to protect themselves. Its an eternal struggle.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
What this hand signal means to most people doesn't matter, nor does it matter if its "trolling" because what you're too stupid to understand is that, their "trolling" is them being comfortable with people thinking they're flashing a hidden signal to white supremacists. That you ignore that they're fine with you thinking they're white supremacist, even if they're not, shows you're a fucking moron that doesn't understand that is exactly what actual white supremacists want. They want to normalize people viewing their beliefs as common and even if you might disagree with them will tolerate them. They want useful idiots like you to think its a joke and to get in on the joke because you're doing exactly what they want.

Not that the two of you desperately trying to defend this aren't easy to see through with how regularly you defend far more blatantly racist shit. But just pointing out that even if you were honestly just that stupid that maybe you might think about how you're actually perfectly playing into what white supremacists want. I'd laugh everytime I see the "but liberals are so focused on identity politics that they're ignoring the real problems, so they're to blame!" if it wasn't for the fact that it is enabling actual racism/bigotry to perpetuate. I really can't understand how you people making that criticism can't see you are doing exactly what you say is so bad. You're the ones focusing on this alleged focus on identity politics and ignoring real problems, and your best argument is that you think that because 4Chan is easily manipulated to support white supremacist shit in the name of "trolling" that somehow means it isn't real or doesn't matter (while ignoring that its still exactly what white supremacists want)? Or constantly trying to argue minuscule pedantic aspects that you seemingly believe completely changes the entirety of things? Literally no one wastes more time arguing about identity politics than you idiots - because you're too stupid to notice that you're the ones viewing talking about racism/sexism/other pointed bigotry as a waste. Furthermore is how you constantly argue that people should just ignore it and grow thicker skin, yet you can't do the same about other people talking about it (thus you give it weight by not ignoring it), when its objectively a far less serious thing to be pissing and moaning about.

Use names. I want to make sure I understand who you are addressing.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
To an extent yes, but, its directed at both sides. The Right happens to be the one that has the most feels though. Most of what they do is based on their feelings and less about logic.

Ironically, its not always the case as we see with immigration. Their feels are very much tribal sadly.

The Left is about breaking down walls and making everyone equal. The Right is about building walls to protect themselves. Its an eternal struggle.

So back to where we started, since we agree mostly, is it really the proper stance to cast judgement on some that are trolled successfully while defending those who've been trolled by their own party leaders, and now a hostile foreign power, and expressively ok with this. For some, that's their winning. And it's sad.