Alabama police officers suspended for hand gesture linked to 'circle game'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I try not to bother thinking about every little weird thing that happens out there in the world, but this is ridiculous. This "game" has been played for like decades and has nothing to do with white supremacy.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Never heard of it and I lived in Alabama for 20 years. I will say that Jasper is one of the biggest shitholes in Alabama.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Remember this

LeImreg.gif

Whoopie is a racist!

Who would have ever thought.

LOL

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I try not to bother thinking about every little weird thing that happens out there in the world, but this is ridiculous. This "game" has been played for like decades and has nothing to do with white supremacy.

How do you play that game within the picture?

Reactions: ivwshane

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The worst part of this whole thing is that every single one of us just lost the circle game.

4 times too.

We suck.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Anyone that doesn't like the fact that they can't play this game anymore without being called a racist can put the blame right where it belongs: with the racist community that conscripted it as their secret handshake.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Has it been brought up that this is a popular meme?

https://cheezburger.com/4269829/23-circle-game-memes-that-are-perfect-for-pranking-your-friends

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/new-hand-sign-used-teens-acquire-drugs/

I know VG posted that the OK gesture was not racist, but this seems to stem more from the circle game that has exploded in popularity as a meme. People taking pictures with the gesture as a joke.

circle-game-zootopia.png

This is the pepe meme all over again. We can't joke or have fun without someone thinking its somehow racist.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Anyone that doesn't like the fact that they can't play this game anymore without being called a racist can put the blame right where it belongs: with the racist community that conscripted it as their secret handshake.

Where have you seen the racist community do this?

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
OK there needs to be a site where people can go to see what is okay (I was worried that I might be taken wrong if I just used the O-word) or not okay to use as hand symbols. I have never heard of this game nore had I heard the hand symbol was taken over by racists. Is anyone worried that we will get to the point where saying good morning to someone will be viewed as a racist remark? This shit is getting fucking off the charts. A serious question, how is a father of 3 who does nothing but provide for his family, drive kids to and from school functions, sports, music lessons, playdates along with caring for the house and wife supposed to keep up with the changes going on? I mean really a fucking OK symbol is now so racist that a cop got suspended over it! When does it end?

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
OK there needs to be a site where people can go to see what is okay (I was worried that I might be taken wrong if I just used the O-word) or not okay to use as hand symbols. I have never heard of this game nore had I heard the hand symbol was taken over by racists. Is anyone worried that we will get to the point where saying good morning to someone will be viewed as a racist remark? This shit is getting fucking off the charts. A serious question, how is a father of 3 who does nothing but provide for his family, drive kids to and from school functions, sports, music lessons, playdates along with caring for the house and wife supposed to keep up with the changes going on? I mean really a fucking OK symbol is now so racist that a cop got suspended over it! When does it end?

This is what fascists want. To tell you what is okay and what is not, and for you not to question but to accept their power above you.

Reactions: wahdangun

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
You know that you can get image urls from google and post them right?

Quick question, you sound like an old man that does not get internet culture so how old are you?

source.gif

That's your life, huh? Searching online for pictures of Hitler and dogs?

I'd post a GIF for you but I'm afraid what a search for, pedantic+shit for brains, would come up with. Save me some time will you and just post a selfie.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
That's your life, huh? Searching online for pictures of Hitler and dogs?

I'd post a GIF for you but I'm afraid what a search for, pedantic+shit for brains, would come up with. Save me some time will you and just post a selfie.

tenor.gif

Well, I am a millennial.

Seriously though, you are getting push back from a lot of people that are on your side with respect to racism. Maybe, take some time, breathe, take a walk, and think about how the circle game is not actually racist.

Or you know, continue acting like this when you see people having fun.

giphy.gif

Nov 25, 2013
Has it been brought up that this is a popular meme?

https://cheezburger.com/4269829/23-circle-game-memes-that-are-perfect-for-pranking-your-friends

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/new-hand-sign-used-teens-acquire-drugs/

I know VG posted that the OK gesture was not racist, but this seems to stem more from the circle game that has exploded in popularity as a meme. People taking pictures with the gesture as a joke.

circle-game-zootopia.png

This is the pepe meme all over again. We can't joke or have fun without someone thinking its somehow racist.

Pepe was appropriated as a racist symbol in much the same way, that appears to be happening with this gesture. A point that I made several times.

Re pepe , it's not that people "thought" that it was racist but, rather, that it was appropriated in order to be deliberately turned into a racist meme.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
"Played" it back in the 70's in Elementary School. Quoted it because there was no choice in the matter, you essentially had some kid make a gesture, you were confused, they explained, you got a bruised arm. Took a few days to learn all the gestures and rules, but you learned quickly.