Air fryers are awesome - way better than convection ovens. Mine makes great rice too

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
It's not convection.
Doesn't need to be :D Just roast it at 400 for 20 minutes and then turn it down to 325 and roast until the area between the leg and thigh gets to 160F, then take it out, lightly cover it, and let it sit for 20-30 minutes.

Good lord you spoiled people- I've roasted chickens in an oven I made out of rocks while camping lol

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Doesn't need to be :D Just roast it at 400 for 20 minutes and then turn it down to 325 and roast until the area between the leg and thigh gets to 160F, then take it out, lightly cover it, and let it sit for 20-30 minutes.

Good lord you spoiled people- I've roasted chickens in an oven I made out of rocks while camping lol
I want crispier skin and I want it faster

It will get used for other stuff too.

I usually do chicken legs in the oven with potatoes, onions and carrots. Simple and always delicious.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

What? You are not bitching about rice cookers?

• Haha
Reactions: Perknose

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
If you're bored with cooking with your Instant Pot, you could try brewing some hooch with it:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
For anyone looking to join an active group, we have 1.3 million members on the "Instant Pot Recipes Only" FB group. Tons of great ideas every day:

So many creative ways to use the IP:

1611284472640.png

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
For anyone looking to join an active group, we have 1.3 million members on the "Instant Pot Recipes Only" FB group. Tons of great ideas every day:

So many creative ways to use the IP:

View attachment 38165
I DETEST Facebook, on numerous levels. But for this, I might join.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Just joined.

Yeah, you don't have to use it for traditional social media purposes, just for groups. Honestly, Facebook has the best groups on the planet for a few reasons:

1. Facebook is accessible to a variety of ages. I have a lot of older non-technical friends who are experts in their fields or have unique techniques to contribute, who have joined various FB groups (cooking, CNC & woodwork, etc.) because it's an easy app & website to use. Reddit is still a little intimidating for a lot of people. You can easily type on it, upload photos, videos, PDF files, and so on on the FB app & website, which makes it easy for people who aren't so nerdy to join in & contribute.

2. Because of the accessibility, it's the best realtime/archive system out there. It's basically a visual version of Usenet. Discord & Twitter are the best for solely realtime, and blogs, Youtubes, etc. are great for archived posts & digital resources, but FB has the best mix of a historical search plus up-to-date information. Obviously it really depends on the topic, because stuff like stack overflow is better for coding, but I've found generally it also avoids the group-think that plagues ultra-specific subreddits.

3. Again because of that accessibility, you get a massive amount of users on certain topics. The Instapot subreddit has 216k users; the IP Recipes-only FB group has 1.3 million (granted, it's sort of the reverse for Sous-Vide, more users on reddit because it's a more nerdy way of cooking haha). The search is better on FB groups than it is on reddit too imo.

Here are a few more groups to join:

* Instant Pot 101 for Beginners
* Instant Pot Recipes
* Instant Pot Guide for Indian Food
* Instant Pot Vietnamese Food Recipes
* Asian Instant Pot Recipes

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
We got one for Christmas. Made fun of my wife for that suggestion.
I ate my words.... and LOTS of food from the Air Fryer. It's amazingly convenient and cooks everything so amazingly well.

All the frozen "fried" foods.
Roasted veggies
Chicken wings
OMG those frozen big/soft pretzels are divine

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I ate my words.... and LOTS of food from the Air Fryer. It's amazingly convenient and cooks everything so amazingly well.

Roasted veggies
Chicken wings
Too lazy to look, but I think I posted that brussels sprouts recipe here sometime back. That became so popular I'm making it for the fam a couple times a week. ;)

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Too lazy to look, but I think I posted that brussels sprouts recipe here sometime back. That became so popular I'm making it for the fam a couple times a week. ;)

Yeah we've done sprouts and cauliflower in there.
I think we've used our oven for frozen pizzas and cookies since Christmas. Everything else has been air fryer

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com

Roasted veggies
Chicken wings

Really though, what's the cleaning like?

Should I trade my instant pot for an air fryer?

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
We got the Ninja Foodie that works as an IP and Air Fryer. We love it and have been using pretty regularly. The first IP we got didn't have the air fryer with it. Still good to have as another cooker for large gatherings. Just haven't used it in awhile.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Yeah, you don't have to use it for traditional social media purposes, just for groups. Honestly, Facebook has the best groups on the planet for a few reasons:

1. Facebook is accessible to a variety of ages. I have a lot of older non-technical friends who are experts in their fields or have unique techniques to contribute, who have joined various FB groups (cooking, CNC & woodwork, etc.) because it's an easy app & website to use. Reddit is still a little intimidating for a lot of people. You can easily type on it, upload photos, videos, PDF files, and so on on the FB app & website, which makes it easy for people who aren't so nerdy to join in & contribute.

2. Because of the accessibility, it's the best realtime/archive system out there. It's basically a visual version of Usenet. Discord & Twitter are the best for solely realtime, and blogs, Youtubes, etc. are great for archived posts & digital resources, but FB has the best mix of a historical search plus up-to-date information. Obviously it really depends on the topic, because stuff like stack overflow is better for coding, but I've found generally it also avoids the group-think that plagues ultra-specific subreddits.

3. Again because of that accessibility, you get a massive amount of users on certain topics. The Instapot subreddit has 216k users; the IP Recipes-only FB group has 1.3 million (granted, it's sort of the reverse for Sous-Vide, more users on reddit because it's a more nerdy way of cooking haha). The search is better on FB groups than it is on reddit too imo.

Here are a few more groups to join:

* Instant Pot 101 for Beginners
* Instant Pot Recipes
* Instant Pot Guide for Indian Food
* Instant Pot Vietnamese Food Recipes
* Asian Instant Pot Recipes
You need to just start a youtube channel already. All your posts make fantastic script material, and you are uber detail oriented. Based on years of reading your stuff, it would be your full time job in 2yrs because of how well you would do. Seriously, kitchen gadgets, nutrition, and cooking with Kaido would kill.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
The so called air fryer is just a high cfm fan coupled with a radiant heat coil.

Ah, gotcha, thanks! Looks like it'll fit my Instant Pot, but my toaster sucks and making toast in a pot might not be so great. I'm a lazy cook so if an air fryer is easier to clean I might have to buy one.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Air Fryers are niche items. They do a limited number of things well. A good toaster oven is a niche item that serves a purpose as well.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
You need to just start a youtube channel already. All your posts make fantastic script material, and you are uber detail oriented. Based on years of reading your stuff, it would be your full time job in 2yrs because of how well you would do. Seriously, kitchen gadgets, nutrition, and cooking with Kaido would kill.

Already have the channel registered! "Results May Vary" hahaha. I've been transitioning from IT to BEC so hopefully I'll have a little more free time at home in coming months!

Reactions: DAPUNISHER