[Action RPG] Path of Exile

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CottonRabbit

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
what is your map strategy? I assume you're transmuting and using alterations for better map mods.

I started doing maps with around a pool of 10 Lvl 66 maps.

up to 17 Lvl 67s, 2 Lvl 68s, and 1 lvl 66

my character is at Lvl 78 with a mix of soloing maps, public groups, and private groups

I'm beginning to think the mods that increase map size are the best to shoot for with mob size or magic monster % coming after that. Alternative is doing a map if it rolls 40%+ quantity or close to that.

It's just RNG. Ran 4 66 maps yesterday and got 0 maps back. Usually chisel them too. Now I have two left and I ended up buying 2 more just in case. I don't want to go back to farming places for no exp again. From the forums, on average people seem to be having issues maintaining a map stash. At least the 66 maps should be common enough so that you can run them whenever you want.

Edit: just found 5 maps in 1 run, random numbers are random.

Last edited:

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Hit Merciless on my HC Sword/Board duelist tonight. This game is eating all my time these days, spending hours on the forum/trolling trade.

I'm terrified that I am going to get instapeaced in merciless though.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
This game comes highly recommended by a super serious gamer friend. Also by Chris Kluwe!

I didn't know it was so old (OP is from august 2011). Gonna try it out today.

One thing I already hate about the game without having even played it is that apparently there is no respec? So you basically are stuck if you pick a build you don't like. I hate that shit. It's so 1999! I like being able to change things around to my liking and not have to start a new character that I have to invest another 100+ hours in. I really hate it when they lock in your skills forever. I guess there are partial respecs but not full on.

Also the skill tree looks friggin ridiculous.

Wonder why it's not on steam...i guess since it's still in beta.

Snock514

Golden Member
Jul 20, 2009
This game comes highly recommended by a super serious gamer friend. Also by Chris Kluwe!

I didn't know it was so old (OP is from august 2011). Gonna try it out today.

One thing I already hate about the game without having even played it is that apparently there is no respec? So you basically are stuck if you pick a build you don't like. I hate that shit. It's so 1999! I like being able to change things around to my liking and not have to start a new character that I have to invest another 100+ hours in. I really hate it when they lock in your skills forever. I guess there are partial respecs but not full on.

Wonder why it's not on steam...i guess since it's still in beta.

Just to clear things up about respecs:
You can respec your skill points but it costs a currency ingame (not purchasable by $.) They're called orbs of regrets and they aren't the cheapest item in the game. If you didn't know already there is no gold in the game and orbs similar to the orb of regret are the currency. You also get quite a few respec points from doing certain quests, I believe there's around 13 free respec points from all the quests in the game.

The skill tree does look a bit intimidating at first but it's fairly easy to become acquainted with.

Also my favorite part, characters in hardcore mode move to softcore when they die instead of being deleted like in Diablo and other ARGs. GL HF

Another thing for everyone: Here's a list of all quest rewards for each class!

Last edited:

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003

That is basically one of the big reasons people prefer this to D3. Free easy respecs are one of those things people think they want, but in the long run it just destroys any character uniqueness and removes all incentive to replay as the same class. Due to the nature of the PoE skill tree, in PoE free unlimited respecs would destroy most of the incentive to replay as any class, since any class can take any skill.

That said, the re-rolling process is not as annoying as it is in other games because the nature of the currency and how it drops means that even a brand new low level character will find valuable currency drops occasionally while leveling, so while you might take 30 hours level 1 character and 30 more leveling character 2 when you decide to respec, overall you will have as much currency (or more) than a player who just spent 60 hours focused on one character the whole time. Endgame, those currency items will make a huge difference and will matter more than how you were set behind by re-rolling.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Well it wouldn't be so bad if I didn't also mess up my builds somehow :p but live and learn I guess. Speaking of which I could use some kind of guidance for any sort of a build. I guess it doesn't matter too much which character you pick.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
That is basically one of the big reasons people prefer this to D3. Free easy respecs are one of those things people think they want, but in the long run it just destroys any character uniqueness and removes all incentive to replay as the same class. Due to the nature of the PoE skill tree, in PoE free unlimited respecs would destroy most of the incentive to replay as any class, since any class can take any skill.

my problem with this is that why would you want to play a game with a set of skills you don't like?
Just because you messed up a spec point doesn't mean you're character is unique...
I rarely replay games, but if I did, I wouldn't want to replay with the same character class just to try out a different set of skills. I'd want to experience a different story line and different play style (like mage vs. warrior).

It's not my fault if you're too lazy or lack the willpower to try out different skills using a respec option instead of just going to the internet and looking up the "best" or "i win" skill sets.

Last edited:

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
my problem with this is that why would you want to play a game with a set of skills you don't like?
I rarely replay games, but if I did, I wouldn't want to replay with the same character class just to try out a different set of skills. I'd want to experience a different story line and different play style (like mage vs. warrior).

It's not my fault if you're too lazy or lack the willpower to try out different skills using a respec option instead of just going to the internet and looking up the "best" or "i win" skill sets.

Different people like different things. It sounds like you are in the minority that likes the way D3 was developed, go enjoy it and have fun. The rest of us who didn't like that type of design will play PoE.

It's really not about having a "best" or "iwin" build. It's not that hard to get through the game. It's about personal choices, and having options. I have a templar focused on aoe damage spells, and another one based on shield + 1 hander melee damage. They play very different, but I enjoy both play-styles. Personally I greatly prefer the lack of a full free easy respec, because it means my two characters are distinct and useful.

Under D3, I'd be stupid to level the same character twice, it would just make more sense to respec whenever I wanted to change playstyle, and replace all my equipment. I find that less fun, even though it requires less time invested in the character. The hassle of switching gear around constantly makes multiple specs in D3 annoying, but the extreme timesink of leveling up through paragon levels makes multiple characters of the same class non-viable as well. Plus when I level up a D3 alt I get junk and maybe a little bit of gold, but nothing actually worthwhile on my endgame characters. In PoE this time is not wasted, I farm valuable currency items even on my new level 4 character.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Well it wouldn't be so bad if I didn't also mess up my builds somehow :p but live and learn I guess. Speaking of which I could use some kind of guidance for any sort of a build. I guess it doesn't matter too much which character you pick.

I think you can do incredibly well just by going pure defensive. Whenever you have a choice between hp or damage or attack speed or spell damage, always go for the hp. Pick a defensive stat (either energy shield, evasion, or armor) and take the nodes that boost that stat. Only take damage nodes if they lead directly to a valuable defensive node, or if they are hybrid damage/stat nodes (since the stat bonuses help your defensive stat). Be willing to take a few straight 10 stat nodes if they directly lead to an important defensive stat cluster. Take resist all nodes, keep resist near cap as much as possible through passive skills and items.

If you do go for some offensive passives, pick one attack type and optimize it. Don't mix 2hander and 1 hander bonus nodes, don't mix ranged and melee nodes, don't mix spell damage and melee nodes, don't mix fire and lightning damage nodes.

Either take as many mana and mana regen nodes as it takes to handle your normal spell/skill usage, or take none and rely on items until you can take blood magic.

Obviously all of the above can be ignored for specific build plans, but as general guidelines I think they will produce a character that can complete the game fairly well.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Just finished Brutus(?) in act 1 merciless, and I have to say my worries about merciless were unfounded. Sure a Roa you don't see can charge and nearly kill me, or a group of Goatmen will jump on me, but if I play carefully, I don't die.

Detonate Dead is my new favorite gem. Had to clear the Fetid Pool, where the necro raises everything... man was that a pain in the butt on cruel, and easy as hell on merciless with Detonate Dead. Then started using it always; get a kill in a group of enemies and detonate one dead body - can literally take off 1/2 - 3/4 of all mobs life in range. I do have several 'larger aoe' radius nodes, which may be helping there, but I love it.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Just finished Brutus(?) in act 1 merciless, and I have to say my worries about merciless were unfounded. Sure a Roa you don't see can charge and nearly kill me, or a group of Goatmen will jump on me, but if I play carefully, I don't die.

Detonate Dead is my new favorite gem. Had to clear the Fetid Pool, where the necro raises everything... man was that a pain in the butt on cruel, and easy as hell on merciless with Detonate Dead. Then started using it always; get a kill in a group of enemies and detonate one dead body - can literally take off 1/2 - 3/4 of all mobs life in range. I do have several 'larger aoe' radius nodes, which may be helping there, but I love it.

is this hardcore? I'm assuming a witch build? your experience is vastly different than mine...

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
is this hardcore? I'm assuming a witch build? your experience is vastly different than mine...

Default league; not touching hardcore until I better understand the game.

And yes a Witch with Elemental Proliferation Firestorm Totem, LMP Fire Pentrating Fireball (with Fork sometimes), Fire Trap, Detonate Dead, Clarity, Raise Specter, Flammability, and some Ice spell I forget the name of.

Default and Hardcore have the same difficulty, as far as monster health/damage/etc right? Only difference is permanent death right?

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Default league; not touching hardcore until I better understand the game.

And yes a Witch with Elemental Proliferation Firestorm Totem, LMP Fire Pentrating Fireball (with Fork sometimes), Fire Trap, Detonate Dead, Clarity, Raise Specter, Flammability, and some Ice spell I forget the name of.

Default and Hardcore have the same difficulty, as far as monster health/damage/etc right? Only difference is permanent death right?

Yea they have the same difficulty but you still have to change how you play significantly due to that whole 1 death thing...

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Different people like different things. It sounds like you are in the minority that likes the way D3 was developed, go enjoy it and have fun.

I don't think anyone plays D3 anymore :p

being able to respec at any time is kind silly but I think just as silly as not being to respec at all. I think the right way to go would be to have respec available but have to do a lot of work/quests (say 2-3 hours worth) to achieve the respec, making you earn it. That's just the way I'd do it, though.

Still haven't played this game yet >_>, gonna try it out today.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
I wouldn't even call what you can do in D3 a respec. The game doesn't really have a skill system, it's more like a load-out in BF3 or CoD. You just swap a few things around (for the most part not much as there is little to no skill diversity per class) and go.

Diablo 3 is more of an arcade game than anything else, I'd hardly call it an ARPG or an RPG. Even items are very simple and just boost main stats and a couple modifiers. There is just no intricacy to it. It makes sense in D3 to just swap your attacks at will as the game is not an RPG in much of any sense and more an arcade/console action game.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
but I think just as silly as not being to respec at all. I think the right way to go would be to have respec available but have to do a lot of work/quests (say 2-3 hours worth) to achieve the respec, making you earn it. That's just the way I'd do it, though.

Well, you can change skills at will, though skills have attribute requirements. You can also change your passive skills out one at a time for orbs of regret, or refunds you are granted from doing quests. You could theoretically do a full respec if you had a few stacks of regret orbs, but the value of those orbs makes using them that way kinda silly.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
I wouldn't even call what you can do in D3 a respec. The game doesn't really have a skill system, it's more like a load-out in BF3 or CoD. You just swap a few things around (for the most part not much as there is little to no skill diversity per class) and go.

Diablo 3 is more of an arcade game than anything else, I'd hardly call it an ARPG or an RPG. Even items are very simple and just boost main stats and a couple modifiers. There is just no intricacy to it. It makes sense in D3 to just swap your attacks at will as the game is not an RPG in much of any sense and more an arcade/console action game.

Yes I agree. Lately, developers have tried to make RPGs into action games. I don't like action games! I like RPGs specifically because I like doing the maths to figure out the best build!

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I like RPGs specifically because I like doing the maths to figure out the best build!

You would really enjoy anarchy online then. One of the core processes of the game in regards to gear upgrades is mathematically determining what pieces of gear you need in what order they need to be installed so that you can wear something. During major gear upgrades you could literally sit down for hours figuring out the order you need to install things to make this piece fit then that piece etc.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Well... my duelist appears to be stuck again. I can't beg borrow or buy some new gear and Merciless act 2 is definitely going to kill me at this rate.

Anyone in hardcore lvl 50+ out there?

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Man those first 16 levels were really boring, people told me the game starts out slow/boring but DAMN. That was a long haul. Hopefully I'm getting to the good stuffs. Though I'm kinda getting tired of games that start out at sluggish speeds. If the game was really good, starting out would be just as fun as the rest of the game :p - I guess it's still in beta though so maybe they'll work on that.