[Action RPG] Path of Exile

Page 37 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Been playing the game since I posted last. Got bored and blew 20ex trying to 6 link something. Got nowhere so I uninstalled the game. It's hard for me to play these types of games for more than a couple of months nowadays. I can't stand the repetitious game play like I could when I was longer.

I did sign up for the beta so if they pick me I'll try it out. I still have all my guys fully geared.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Been playing the game since I posted last. Got bored and blew 20ex trying to 6 link something. Got nowhere so I uninstalled the game. It's hard for me to play these types of games for more than a couple of months nowadays. I can't stand the repetitious game play like I could when I was longer.

I did sign up for the beta so if they pick me I'll try it out. I still have all my guys fully geared.

Yeah I've been taking a break since about a month before Torment ended. I grinded incredibly hard in that league to purchase a windripper only to realize that I didn't like it... I'll probably go back to melee for the next leagues. I'll either ground slam or run cleave again. The new melee skill with 25% damage reduction should help both of those quite a bit.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I just fear that without the gems, builds are going to be terrible at the start. You're pretty much going to have to respec this expansion, I'm sure of it.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
I just fear that without the gems, builds are going to be terrible at the start. You're pretty much going to have to respec this expansion, I'm sure of it.

I'm not sure what you mean... I've had to respec every expansion so far :-/

I also think that gems will be a slight buff to build strength with no nerf whatsoever.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I'm not sure what you mean... I've had to respec every expansion so far :-/

I also think that gems will be a slight buff to build strength with no nerf whatsoever.

I mean, you will have to respec quite a bit later in the season AFTER you get the gems. I think the gems will make for some eventual nasty builds, but unless you're one of those guys with a couple hundred exalts lying around, getting them early isn't going to be much of an option.

So, you are going to have to spec without gems first to farm the gems and then respec. Granted, it is only around 3 or 4 exalts in Standard, it still is money a lot of people don't have.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
I mean, you will have to respec quite a bit later in the season AFTER you get the gems. I think the gems will make for some eventual nasty builds, but unless you're one of those guys with a couple hundred exalts lying around, getting them early isn't going to be much of an option.

So, you are going to have to spec without gems first to farm the gems and then respec. Granted, it is only around 3 or 4 exalts in Standard, it still is money a lot of people don't have.

Oh I got ya... Yeah you're probably right, at least for player's first builds in a league. There could be a lot of respeccing. I think it will settle though as people find different builds and start to figure out what jewels are good.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Well you get 16 or 17 respec points for free right now. I imagine the expansion will probably bring you up to at least 20 or more. But there is a lot of respecing in general for this game.

It does suck though to try a build and not like it then need 40-50 regrets to fix it. But if you have any kind of currency you can generally afford leveling uniques to do a fast re-roll. For like 3-4 chaos you can set yourself up with all the low level gear you need to level fast. I think my shadow took like 6 hours from 0-60 or 65. In 10 hours you should have a guy in the mid 70s no problem.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Oh I got ya... Yeah you're probably right, at least for player's first builds in a league. There could be a lot of respeccing. I think it will settle though as people find different builds and start to figure out what jewels are good.

I think I will wait to respec my standard characters until there are some good builds. I will likely just start a new league, farm some currency and play around.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I know we don't have a ton of active PoE players here, but anyone get into the Act 4 beta? From what I've seen, it is quite nice and a huge content update.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Nothing for me. They did mention after a few weeks the number of beta testers would be pretty high.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
I haven't played the game in a little while. I found the game a little bit boring and repetitive. Is the new content up date worth getting back into again?

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I haven't played the game in a little while. I found the game a little bit boring and repetitive. Is the new content up date worth getting back into again?

It is supposed to mix up endgame a bit (level 80 loot pinata bosses, as opposed to a single place to get that level gear), but if you find loot collecting games boring, this won't change much.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
It took me three weeks, but I finally got rid of all the 'remove only' tabs in Standard (about 25 full tabs).

As for respeccing in a new league... never had to do it, other than maybe switching a hammer node to an axe on a melee guy. You don't start with anything, but even with a couple of alchemy orbs, you can twink out new characters to get them high level fast, by buying low level uniques from trade chat.

I hope they add a bunch of new maps in the expansion, because I'm so tired of the ones I've run a million times.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
It took me three weeks, but I finally got rid of all the 'remove only' tabs in Standard (about 25 full tabs).

As for respeccing in a new league... never had to do it, other than maybe switching a hammer node to an axe on a melee guy. You don't start with anything, but even with a couple of alchemy orbs, you can twink out new characters to get them high level fast, by buying low level uniques from trade chat.

I hope they add a bunch of new maps in the expansion, because I'm so tired of the ones I've run a million times.

I have more tabs than that...
I should really organize them. I do actually enjoy my standard characters from time to time...

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I have more tabs than that...
I should really organize them. I do actually enjoy my standard characters from time to time...

This. For quite awhile I bought premium stash tabs every time there were on sale (every weekend it seems). Sadly, too many of them are used for Atziri flasks and boots. =(

Man I Suck

Apr 21, 2015
Does anyone still play this? I started this about a month ago and am enjoying it. I can't really decide on what build to make my primary in terms of currency farming, but with the 2.0 nerfstravaganza coming up with so many things getting hosed that I'm kinda afraid to spend the time to make much of anything.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
I think the majority of people play the challenge leagues when they come up and the next one isn't until end of June or so.

If you're just interested in playing the permanent league then you don't need to worry much about choosing a build that gets nerfed since those situations always result in free respecs on the permanent leagues. At most you'll have to change/level a few gems.

The biggest balance change for 2.0 is the fact there's no desync. You can whirling blades out of boss attacks reliably and play a lot more tactically than before.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
The 1 month Flashback League is super fun. EVERY previous league mod brought back every weekend, rotating mods the rest of the time.

Other than that, just waiting for The Awakening.

fixbsod

Jan 25, 2012
exactly this. weekends on the flashback league are EPIC (think its this weekend and maybe 2-3 more??) every mod on each level / map is outrageously, wicked fun

The 1 month Flashback League is super fun. EVERY previous league mod brought back every weekend, rotating mods the rest of the time.

Other than that, just waiting for The Awakening.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
9 days until The Awakening. It includes a complete new act and a lot of changes. Looks good IMO, even with all the crap going legacy (why did I sell the Mjolner I found a few weeks ago! It is worth near 4x what I sold it for!)

flopper

Dec 16, 2005
9 days until The Awakening. It includes a complete new act and a lot of changes. Looks good IMO, even with all the crap going legacy (why did I sell the Mjolner I found a few weeks ago! It is worth near 4x what I sold it for!)

its just currency :)

I play new leques primary so it be good with lock step the fix to desync finally to play this without such interuptions.

CrowDog

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2001
I can't wait for the new expansion. One of the best games ever (imo), and it's going to get better!