[Action RPG] Path of Exile

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
finally made it to cruel @ lvl37.

at mud flats, died to rhoas due to lag :(

also, i'm doing 500 dps w/boss combo: burning arrow-wep ele dmg- faster attacks

that good enuf for act1 cruel?
What should dps be for act2 (vaal) + 3 (piety)?

Last edited:

qwertyaas

Jul 19, 2007
Just got Death's Harp last night, really nice bow.

Orbed it until I got GGG G and gave up since I have my boots at GGGR for LA, LMP, Fork and Life on Hit. I'm going to replace the LMP as Death's Harp gives an extra projectile and thinking of what to add. Maybe Increased Cold Damage.

Right now at Level 47, I have 280DPS on my LA (well, including Fork and LMP), ~450 on Poison Arrow and ~1000 on my Bear Trap.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Just got Death's Harp last night, really nice bow.

Orbed it until I got GGG G and gave up since I have my boots at GGGR for LA, LMP, Fork and Life on Hit. I'm going to replace the LMP as Death's Harp gives an extra projectile and thinking of what to add. Maybe Increased Cold Damage.

Right now at Level 47, I have 280DPS on my LA (well, including Fork and LMP), ~450 on Poison Arrow and ~1000 on my Bear Trap.

You prefer poison arrow for bosses? why?
what support gems do u use w/poison arrow?

and u have 1k dmg w/bear trap? how?

edit:
hm.. no -20% penalty for chaos resists in cruel? just for fire/cold/lightning?

Last edited:

qwertyaas

Jul 19, 2007
You prefer poison arrow for bosses? why?
what support gems do u use w/poison arrow?

and u have 1k dmg w/bear trap? how?

I actually forgot what I just switched to my Poison Arrow. I think LMP and not sure what else. I usually just use Poison if they resist Lightning.

As for the Bear Trap, I have no idea. It's linked to added Fire Damage and +10 Quality.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
I'm level 32 and have the same level 8 weapon i had since start. Nothing dropped better so far. lol

You never look at for-sale items, do you.

Use the myriad of drops to turn your basic item purchased into an uncommon or rare item and upgrade it.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Restarted my Witch as an elementalist (fire) damage dealer, instead of minions, and am loving the class alot more. Lesser multiple projectiles + fireball are ripping through mobs much faster than my zombies and spectres ever did; and eventually with Fork if I can sustain the mana - will be pretty badass.

I do miss the meatshields, but every boss just owned my minions, and then I was left with half my points spent on things that didn't help me at all on a boss. At 45, minions can kill, but have trouble staying alive if a bunch of enemies have ranged skills; wouldn't be too bad, but there seems to be a delay between when they 'lock on' to a target, and before they can 'lock on' to another after killing.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Restarted my Witch as an elementalist (fire) damage dealer, instead of minions, and am loving the class alot more. Lesser multiple projectiles + fireball are ripping through mobs much faster than my zombies and spectres ever did; and eventually with Fork if I can sustain the mana - will be pretty badass.

I do miss the meatshields, but every boss just owned my minions, and then I was left with half my points spent on things that didn't help me at all on a boss. At 45, minions can kill, but have trouble staying alive if a bunch of enemies have ranged skills; wouldn't be too bad, but there seems to be a delay between when they 'lock on' to a target, and before they can 'lock on' to another after killing.

Aw, I wish I hadn't delete all my accounts before quitting.

I have Searing Touch unique staff. It's THE staff to have for fire witches.

The one and only unique I found in my 80 hour stint.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Finished normal on my hardcore witch. Early Act 1 of cruel seems like a huge step down in difficulty after doing the end of Act 3 normal. This build seems to be pretty durable, lots of hp, blood magic, and strong minions. Witch is 39 with 1250 hp 170 energy shield and some 19% damage reduction from armor, mostly wearing the armor/energy shield chain armors.

Also started yet another new character. After reading up on exactly how evasion works, I decided to see if a pure evasion build ranger was viable in hardcore.

It seems to be. Arrow dodging is incredibly strong, it seems like ranged monsters just don't do any damage at all to me. My damage is a little low because I have primarily taken only hp and evasion nodes, but this is partly because I haven't settled on using a bow for sure yet, I'm toying with the idea of going sword/shield. Up to level 25 currently, 720 hp and about 50% evade chance, feels really durable.

Last edited:

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Is this game going to "revolutionize" ARPGs?

NO, is it a dang good game? YES

Question for those playing: ranger with BOW< Shadow with BOW

I find i can make a better build with a Shadow (for bows) then i can my Ranger, this Just seems "wrong". I will admit im not in end game levels.. but it seems the Shadow has a better path for DPS with Bows.. of course some opt for less DPS and more evasion/life/Armour.. Im going PURE DPS and so far owning (again this may change later is sounds like) IM much more fragile then my Ranger.. but so far I can pretty much DPS fast enough to kill bosses with a health potion or two.. toe to toe.. the ranger is doing better toe to toe, but i worked some Life into her build, so far the Shadow has nothing in life tree.

am i wrong, the BOW upgrades on the shadow tree are quicker and sooner then the ranger tree?

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
As a hardcore player, I prefer the ranger start over the shadow start area because it has better access to life nodes I want. But it sounds like you are in softcore, if you are going all out offense, so I don't really have any opinion on that.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Question for those playing: ranger with BOW< Shadow with BOW

I find i can make a better build with a Shadow (for bows) then i can my Ranger, this Just seems "wrong". I will admit im not in end game levels.. but it seems the Shadow has a better path for DPS with Bows.. of course some opt for less DPS and more evasion/life/Armour.. Im going PURE DPS and so far owning (again this may change later is sounds like) IM much more fragile then my Ranger.. but so far I can pretty much DPS fast enough to kill bosses with a health potion or two.. toe to toe.. the ranger is doing better toe to toe, but i worked some Life into her build, so far the Shadow has nothing in life tree.

am i wrong, the BOW upgrades on the shadow tree are quicker and sooner then the ranger tree?

I'm looking at the passive tree now, but I'm not seeing what you are seeing.

Off to the far right of Shadow, I see +24% dmg +4% AS.
In bewteen shadow and ranger, but closer to shadow, I see +21% total physical damage with bows.
Off to the the far right inbetween shadow and ranger, I see +20% phys damage.
Right by the ranger start, I see +54% dmg and +18% AS.
To the bottom left of ranger, I see +31% dmg and +4%AS.
To the bottom right of ranger, I see +30% dmg and +6%AS.

To total that, by shadow I see +24% dmg and +4% AS.

In between shadow and ranger, I see +41% phy damage.

By ranger I see +115% dmg and +28% AS.

Not to mention ranger has access to a good number of life nodes and Iron Reflexes (if you are into that).

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
As a hardcore player, I prefer the ranger start over the shadow start area because it has better access to life nodes I want. But it sounds like you are in softcore, if you are going all out offense, so I don't really have any opinion on that.

as a new player I'm not sure i understand (softcore) this are we talking the levels? Cruel , Ruthless, and Merciless? I was under the impression i need to complete the game on one difficulty level to access the next. I know I had to go back and level one time to advance once.. they must have caps on levels for some of that.

JTDSR

Mar 16, 2012
They mean Default and Hardcore league, where in Hardcore, once you die, your character cannot play there anymore and you get put back in default.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
^ Exactly.

I found out the weakness of the evasion build: going AFK in a zone with monsters. Actually I tabbed out for a second intending to tab right back in, but I got distracted and didn't come back for a few minutes, until I saw the nice resurrection button. Oh well.

CottonRabbit

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
End game is a bit annoying with the low map drop rate. To much RNG in determining whether or not you can farm effectively. Get unlucky, and you'll have to farm an hour or two in places 10+ levels below you for maps.

Snock514

Golden Member
Jul 20, 2009
I finally beat normal in hardcore :). Died on a witch then a ranger both in early act 3. I'm playing an EK marauder and I'm 1-2 shotting whites (400.5 dps) and having 1200 hp with 50%+ resists. I purchased a sweet wand 64% spell dmg 11% proj speed, I can't complain. I'm running faster projectiles, added fire, and faster casting on my EK with +1 level hatred from my other wand, also running warlords mark to help with my mana at lvl 38 atm.

EK leveled now it does 500+dps.. also got 1.4k life and hit level 40 myself.

Last edited:

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
End game is a bit annoying with the low map drop rate. To much RNG in determining whether or not you can farm effectively. Get unlucky, and you'll have to farm an hour or two in places 10+ levels below you for maps.

what is your map strategy? I assume you're transmuting and using alterations for better map mods.

I started doing maps with around a pool of 10 Lvl 66 maps.

up to 17 Lvl 67s, 2 Lvl 68s, and 1 lvl 66

my character is at Lvl 78 with a mix of soloing maps, public groups, and private groups

I'm beginning to think the mods that increase map size are the best to shoot for with mob size or magic monster % coming after that. Alternative is doing a map if it rolls 40%+ quantity or close to that.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
^ Exactly.

I found out the weakness of the evasion build: going AFK in a zone with monsters. Actually I tabbed out for a second intending to tab right back in, but I got distracted and didn't come back for a few minutes, until I saw the nice resurrection button. Oh well.

AH, i thought league where something to do with some PVP stuff. I am new.. less then a week playing and not more then a few hours in that week (we got snow and I got snowmobile, time to play outside). So very new. I love the massive amount of drops, but getting frustrated with what i get, its damn random, My muardar seems to get awesome crap non stop, my ranger or Shadow cant get a 3 slot connected bow for whit! I don't like playing one character to equip another.. boring.. I havent been farming I guess thats my mistake.

thanks for the info.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
My Witch is absolutely owning now; even in parties of four, I'm mowing down enemies left and right.

Spell Totem + Firestorm = quick firing constant firestorms, and it takes aggro so I...
Fire Trap on top of it while...
Fireball + Lesser Multiple Projectiles + Fork = so many fireballs
+Clarity for mana regen

Need something to slow enemies that bumrush me, and the cold spells I have so far aren't that great, but I can (and did) beat bosses by just running around and dropping Firestorm Totems. Want to try Ice Wall, if I can get ahold of one.

Oh, and does anyone know how the Extra Totem skill works? Can you put down two of the same totem, or does it require seperate gems (ie. Flame Totem and Spell Totem can be cast, or Flame Totem x2 can be cast?)?

Last edited:

Snock514

Golden Member
Jul 20, 2009
Oh, and does anyone know how the Extra Totem skill works? Can you put down two of the same totem, or does it require seperate gems (ie. Flame Totem and Spell Totem can be cast, or Flame Totem x2 can be cast?)?
You can put two of the same totem using the same skill gem with the keystone, I don't know about 2 different totem but I would imagine you could do that as well.