About gun ownership

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Select all or any that apply.

• I own one or more guns.

• I don't own a gun, and never will.

• I don't own a gun, but would consider it.

• I have fired upon someone in self defense.

• Gun owners: For home defense, I prefer a pistol/revolver.

• Gun owners: For home defense, I prefer a rifle.

• Gun owners: For home defense, I prefer a shotgun.

Results are only viewable after voting.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
1. Research your State and local laws.

2. Check with a local gun shop for self/home defense training classes and take them.

3. Buy whichever firearm you are most comfortable with, new technology is available if you think it's needed for limiting access to firearms from children.

4. In the aftermath of any confrontation the Police are not your friends, always request a lawyer before answering any questions.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
But isn't this a requirement in lethality? Why does a weapon have to kill to disable an intruder? The effectiveness of their threat will be almost null with a slug in muscle tissue, the shots need not have the ability to spill out the back of them.

If an intruder has the physical ability to take it and keep going for you why would any injury short of immediate death deter them? We are not talking about a BB gun here, a slug an inche or 2 into flesh is going to hurt just as much as one that travels through to the other side. If they can put up with that pain, short of a kill shot you'd be hard pressed to stop them (what proportion of shots would be immediately lethal by an individual of average ability, if it is low it is likely that that kind of individual criminal would get a shot of at you regardless of your weapon of choice)

They recommend 12 inches because the intruder is not shirtless. He might be wearing a heavy down jacket. That 2 inches of penetration you were relying on is now 0 inches. Catch my drift?

lord_emperor

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
Hand guns are illegal in Canada.

Not exactly. A license is required which as far as I can tell just requires you pass a few safety tests.

I like this "Castle Doctrine", if someone threatens me with harm, especially in my own home, as far as I'm concerned he has forfeited all rights and should be met with maximum force to remove the threat permanently.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Not exactly. A license is required which as far as I can tell just requires you pass a few safety tests.

I like this "Castle Doctrine", if someone threatens me with harm, especially in my own home, as far as I'm concerned he has forfeited all rights and should be met with maximum force to remove the threat permanently.

I wish it were possible to gauge how many crimes the castle doctrine has deterred.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
In S.C., that includes your vehicle. Def.: motorized or non-motorized means of conveyance. Guess that includes my mountain bike.:D

Here in Texas subsection (e), of Section 2. states;

(e) A person who has a right to be present at the location where the force is used, who has not provoked the person against whom the force is used, and who is not engaged in criminal activity at the time the force is used is not required to retreat before using force as described by this section.

Which translates into anywhere you are, and legally have the right to be the Castle Doctrine applies, whether at home, in your car, at the store, at work, walking the dog ...where ever.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

Maximum force isn't what the Castle Doctrine is about. It's about you being able to use the necessary force to protect yourself and your property. Police can certainly blow your head off, but that's not generally the first action they would take.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Here in Texas subsection (e), of Section 2. states;

(e) A person who has a right to be present at the location where the force is used, who has not provoked the person against whom the force is used, and who is not engaged in criminal activity at the time the force is used is not required to retreat before using force as described by this section.

Which translates into anywhere you are, and legally have the right to be the Castle Doctrine applies, whether at home, in your car, at the store, at work, walking the dog ...where ever.
That's why it's called the great state of......right?

Daedalus685

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009

You can own a sports shooting pistol but you may not own ammo, it must be locked at all times unless at a range, the ammo can only be purchased at time of use at a range. Collectible guns can be owned with licence but the regulations on ammo for them is different, I'm not sure if the ammo for them is even legal.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Maximum force isn't what the Castle Doctrine is about. It's about you being able to use the necessary force to protect yourself and your property. Police can certainly blow your head off, but that's not generally the first action they would take.
In S.C. it's not about your property. Just self/fam. Guy can kick your door in and snatch your T.V. and you can't "legally" shoot him if you're not threatened.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
In S.C. it's not about your property. Just self/fam. Guy can kick your door in and snatch your T.V. and you can't "legally" shoot him if you're not threatened.

Or you can just shoot him and say he threatened you. The fuck if anyone is walking into my house and taking my new TV.

Daedalus685

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
Or you can just shoot him and say he threatened you. The fuck if anyone is walking into my house and taking my new TV.

I bet the cops have a pool for who goes the longest in a year without hearing "I swear officer, they tried to kill me."

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Pics of t.v.?

tv9.jpg

tv10.jpg

tv11.jpg

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
When I was a teen, my friend's father -- who, at the time, was a director of operations for a Federal Law Enforcement Agency -- told my friend and I one thing: If you shoot someone in your house, make sure they're dead. Dead men tell no tales.

That lesson has stayed with me to this day and remains my philosophy on home defense. If you come into my house uninvited and pose a threat to my family, my possessions, or myself, you won't leave my home alive. Period.

God forbid, if it ever happens in my home, I only hope it doesn't make too big a mess. I really hate cleaning. Maybe I can get them to stand in my shower before I shoot them, or something...

Last edited:

squirrel dog

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Might ought to think about getting a dog.A real dog,not a yap yap dog.Look around your local shelter for German Shepard pups,or see a breeder.No one wants to confront a big dog.Plus get a weapon or two and I would get steel doors/bars on windows.I've lived in Louisiana for over fifty years and can count on one hand the times I have had to go to New Orleans,all but one on business.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
When I was a teen, my friend's father -- who, at the time, was a director of operations for a Federal Law Enforcement Agency -- told my friend and I one thing: If you shoot someone in your house, make sure they're dead. Dead men tell no tales.

That lesson has stayed with me to this day and remains my philosophy on home defense. If you come into my house uninvited and pose a threat to my family, my possessions, or myself, you won't leave my home alive. Period.

I can understand that sentiment, but as much as I support castle law, I don't think I'd adhere to it. It's a bit too harsh. If I just capped a guy in my house and he's on the floor bleeding out, I'm not gonna walk up to him and put a pill in his head. If he still had a gun I might.

I'm not saying you'd be that barbaric.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
I can understand that sentiment, but as much as I support castle law, I don't think I'd adhere to it. It's a bit too harsh. If I just capped a guy in my house and he's on the floor bleeding out, I'm not gonna walk up to him and put a pill in his head. If he still had a gun I might.

I'm not saying you'd be that barbaric.

slice_zombieland_jesse_eisenberg_double-tap_t_shirt_01.jpg