About gun ownership

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Select all or any that apply.

• I own one or more guns.

• I don't own a gun, and never will.

• I don't own a gun, but would consider it.

• I have fired upon someone in self defense.

• Gun owners: For home defense, I prefer a pistol/revolver.

• Gun owners: For home defense, I prefer a rifle.

• Gun owners: For home defense, I prefer a shotgun.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Esiuda

Jan 26, 2007
"No I'm not a Texan, but if someone comes into my home and tries to rob me they are going to die period. If someone tries to rob my neighbor and I catch them, odds are they will probably die. The problem isn't people shooting criminals who illegally come into their home and try to rob them, the problem is people who illegally come into someone elses home with the intent to rob them. "

to all you pansy a***

I deleted several pages of rant that I wrote.

The above quote (which I copied from a previous poster) pretty much says it all.

some people should never pick up a gun, because they do not have what it takes to pull the triger (this is not ment to be a insult) You should never show or pull a firearm unless you are prepared to use it, and KILL what you point it at! When you show your hand, one of 2 things will happen. They will either FLEE or ATTACT! I am sure that no one on this forum, WANTS to KILL, but at that point it is kill or be killed.

Riddle me this.......

why do criminals have more rights then a citizen?

why even question a homeowner who defended his home?

why should I not defend my property? I worked hard for it, so someone should just be able to come into my house and take it?

For those of you who would rather fight hand to hand, I sure hope you know how, because I have had to deal with some drunks and stoned people, and it is not fun, and food for thought....what if they have HIV, punch the guy, you get HIV from his blood, you die, he gets off because of whatever,(and he will!) and YOU die?????????? Makes no sense/

excuse my rambling......

If people would open their eyes to the world, and stop what was wrong, and not say to themselves "let the other guy handle it" the world would be a much better place, rather then walking around, not seeing what goes on.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
"No I'm not a Texan, but if someone comes into my home and tries to rob me they are going to die period. If someone tries to rob my neighbor and I catch them, odds are they will probably die. The problem isn't people shooting criminals who illegally come into their home and try to rob them, the problem is people who illegally come into someone elses home with the intent to rob them. "

to all you pansy a***

I deleted several pages of rant that I wrote.

The above quote (which I copied from a previous poster) pretty much says it all.

some people should never pick up a gun, because they do not have what it takes to pull the triger (this is not ment to be a insult) You should never show or pull a firearm unless you are prepared to use it, and KILL what you point it at! When you show your hand, one of 2 things will happen. They will either FLEE or ATTACT! I am sure that no one on this forum, WANTS to KILL, but at that point it is kill or be killed.

Riddle me this.......

why do criminals have more rights then a citizen?

why even question a homeowner who defended his home?

why should I not defend my property? I worked hard for it, so someone should just be able to come into my house and take it?

For those of you who would rather fight hand to hand, I sure hope you know how, because I have had to deal with some drunks and stoned people, and it is not fun, and food for thought....what if they have HIV, punch the guy, you get HIV from his blood, you die, he gets off because of whatever,(and he will!) and YOU die?????????? Makes no sense/

excuse my rambling......

If people would open their eyes to the world, and stop what was wrong, and not say to themselves "let the other guy handle it" the world would be a much better place, rather then walking around, not seeing what goes on.

What a man.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
I like how batshit moonbeam has been trying his hardest to troll this thread and nobody is even replying to his retard posts. Everyone just pretends he's not there

rofl

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
My .40 is unloaded with a loaded clip at my nightstand. I live in a very small town that had a bank robbery 2 years ago and my direct neighbor woke up to a random person sleeping in their kitchen. I used to never lock the doors, now I do and I am a happy gun owner.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Ok, in the act of raping your wife I suppose not.. but I was more talking about using it to scare off a burglar.. I mean what kind of town anywhere in the world is there a legitimate fear of folks coming into your house to rape your entire family?

Yeah, because an intruder inside your home will tell you what his intent is (whether he is just there to steal your TV's an laptops or worse) when you confront him....

If you catch someone inside your home, just exactly how do you tell whether or not he wants to harm your family??

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
yeah police response times around my area are no where close to 1 min

and I call shens that yours are that quick.

You cant even get the dispatch call out in a minute.

when seconds count, the police are minutes away...

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I own two rifles, a .22 bolt action for fun (I love shooting .22s) and a higher caliber rifle "just in case."

A shotgun is obviously the best weapon for home defense. You do not have to aim it much at close range, so you can "point it in the general direction" when you are awakened at night by intruders. It also will not travel through a wall and kill your neighbors one house over like a high-caliber rifle would.

I do not like pistols, they make me uneasy with their short barrel, but they have their purposes and they are applicable to CC, unless you can fit a collapsible AK-74u under your shirt.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I own two rifles, a .22 bolt action for fun (I love shooting .22s) and a higher caliber rifle "just in case."

A shotgun is obviously the best weapon for home defense. You do not have to aim it much at close range, so you can "point it in the general direction" when you are awakened at night by intruders. It also will not travel through a wall and kill your neighbors one house over like a high-caliber rifle would.

I do not like pistols, they make me uneasy with their short barrel, but they have their purposes and they are applicable to CC, unless you can fit a collapsible AK-74u under your shirt.

Or your pants. Here's what us enlightened gun owners carry in our pockets to take the garbage out at night where monsters lurk in the shadows:

http://boingboing.net/2010/02/13/flashlight-transform.html

Last edited:

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
33c2de16622dff974bb9270b3a73e37d.jpg

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I never wanted to have a gun. But in the last 3 months there have been multiple home invasions with people in the home (one resulted in a woman being beat to death), and a woman shot dead while walking from her house to the library in the afternoon. That last one turned out to be two teenagers who thought they would shoot at the woman to "scare her". But they killed her.

Sadly, there are too many people out there who literally do not care if they live or die. They are willing to commit crimes until they are caught or otherwise prevented from committing more crimes. They do not respect others' rights. These aren't people who are breaking in to steal a loaf of bread because they are hungry.

So I have come to the conclusion that am going to have something to defend our home with. Something I hope I never need to use in self-defense. But if anyone enters our home uninvited, I will not hesitate to use it. I am not going to try to scare them off, or call 911 first, or try to hide and hope they don't find us.

I am not willing to rely on a dog to defend us, or count on the police to arrive in time even though our local police are great. It's up to me to be prepared to protect us, not anyone else. If everyone was a law-abiding citizen, that would be great, but criminals are becoming more and more vicious. With more places having "three strikes" laws, criminals with two strikes realize that they better not leave any witnesses alive. This is why I'm not too interested in giving bad guys a chance to run away if they break in. I don't know what they are thinking, I don't know what they are carrying, but when they entered our house they took the choice away from me. That's on them.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
I never wanted to have a gun. But in the last 3 months there have been multiple home invasions with people in the home (one resulted in a woman being beat to death), and a woman shot dead while walking from her house to the library in the afternoon. That last one turned out to be two teenagers who thought they would shoot at the woman to "scare her". But they killed her.

Sadly, there are too many people out there who literally do not care if they live or die. They are willing to commit crimes until they are caught or otherwise prevented from committing more crimes. They do not respect others' rights. These aren't people who are breaking in to steal a loaf of bread because they are hungry.

So I have come to the conclusion that am going to have something to defend our home with. Something I hope I never need to use in self-defense. But if anyone enters our home uninvited, I will not hesitate to use it. I am not going to try to scare them off, or call 911 first, or try to hide and hope they don't find us.

I am not willing to rely on a dog to defend us, or count on the police to arrive in time even though our local police are great. It's up to me to be prepared to protect us, not anyone else. If everyone was a law-abiding citizen, that would be great, but criminals are becoming more and more vicious. With more places having "three strikes" laws, criminals with two strikes realize that they better not leave any witnesses alive. This is why I'm not too interested in giving bad guys a chance to run away if they break in. I don't know what they are thinking, I don't know what they are carrying, but when they entered our house they took the choice away from me. That's on them.

What are you packing?

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
In S.C. it's not about your property. Just self/fam. Guy can kick your door in and snatch your T.V. and you can't "legally" shoot him if you're not threatened.

But it's not hard for you to lock the door and put the keys in your pocket to see what's going to happen: he puts the TV down and comes after you, then he goes down.

Escalation. Understand it. Use it. If your actions are legal and reasonable (you have the right to protect your property even if not with lethal force), and the other guy wrongfully escalates, you are now talking a completely separate action covered by a completely different statute. Your protecting your property is not "provoking" and you are not responsible for the other person's wrongful escalation that leads to his injury/death.

Fundamentally I support shooting/killing for property. Property is attained by the labor of your body; if you work 40 hours a week for several years, you are trading years of your limited lifespan to acquire property. Therefore if someone takes that property, they are effectively disregarding taking pieces of your life. Under the context of willfully exchanging your body in the form of labor to acquire property, property you legally attained is therefore an extension of your body and you have a right to defend it as you do your body. All law and government exists to protect property, and that your body is the first piece of property you are born with.

That said I know often laws don't allow protecting property with deadly force. Hence, escalation. As I said before, if someone breaks into my home, they will only be leaving in one of two ways: in the coroner wagon or the back of a police car handcuffed. I have a legal right to confront them, protect my property with non deadly physical force, and detain them with minimal force under citizens arrest for commission of a felony until police arrive. If at any point I feel they present a threat up until that time, it is met with deadly force. It's that simple, and completely legal. I don't want to shoot someone for taking my TV or XBox, but they are certainly not leaving my house with it. If they assault me because I prevented them from taking it, then I am shooting them because they attempted to assault me, not because they were stealing property. They alone make the choice of risking death, or sitting peacefully until police arrive and charge them with breaking and entering and attempted burglary.

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
But it's not hard for you to lock the door and put the keys in your pocket to see what's going to happen: he puts the TV down and comes after you, then he goes down.

Escalation. Understand it. Use it. If your actions are legal and reasonable (you have the right to protect your property even if not with lethal force), and the other guy wrongfully escalates, you are now talking a completely separate action covered by a completely different statute. Your protecting your property is not "provoking" and you are not responsible for the other person's wrongful escalation that leads to his injury/death.

Fundamentally I support shooting/killing for property. Property is attained by the labor of your body; if you work 40 hours a week for several years, you are trading years of your limited lifespan to acquire property. Therefore if someone takes that property, they are effectively disregarding taking pieces of your life. Under the context of willfully exchanging your body in the form of labor to acquire property, property you legally attained is therefore an extension of your body and you have a right to defend it as you do your body. All law and government exists to protect property, and that your body is the first piece of property you are born with.

That said I know often laws don't allow protecting property with deadly force. Hence, escalation. As I said before, if someone breaks into my home, they will only be leaving in one of two ways: in the coroner wagon or the back of a police car handcuffed. I have a legal right to confront them, protect my property with non deadly physical force, and detain them with minimal force under citizens arrest for commission of a felony until police arrive. If at any point I feel they present a threat up until that time, it is met with deadly force. It's that simple, and completely legal. I don't want to shoot someone for taking my TV or XBox, but they are certainly not leaving my house with it. If they assault me because I prevented them from taking it, then I am shooting them because they attempted to assault me, not because they were stealing property. They alone make the choice of risking death, or sitting peacefully until police arrive and charge them with breaking and entering and attempted burglary.

They alone make the choice. Can't you see, you clown, that it is you that makes the choice by the story you tell. Your property is your life. What a small life. You make a choice not to walk away.

When Mulla Nasrudin's house was being robbed the robbers found him hiding in a closet. They asked him what he was doing in there. He said he was hiding for shame that he had nothing worth stealing.

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
Can anyone recommend how to get introduced to guns? Although my Dad has tons of guns, he has never taught me and won't give me a handgun until I've taken training. I'll probably buy one at graduation but try to take some training before using it.

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Can anyone recommend how to get introduced to guns? Although my Dad has tons of guns, he has never taught me and won't give me a handgun until I've taken training. I'll probably buy one at graduation but try to take some training before using it.

why won't your dad introduce you to them? just so you know, many of the free states are no buying handgun until 21 but rifles @ 18. if your dad won't introduce you, maybe ask around in a gun forum that has peolpe that are local to you for a recommendation about a basic firearms training course. also look up appleseed.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Take the training first, almost every gun shop has classes offered by NRA certified instructors about safe gun handling and applicable local and State laws. Go on in and talk to them about training, take the initiative for responsible gun handling.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002

Go to a local gunshop and ask that question

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

You can search for a class in your area. I would suggest the First Steps Pistol course to start with. It assumes zero prior knowledge. There are a couple hours of classroom instruction followed by some actual range shooting. I'm like you, I wouldn't buy one until I had the class.

Prices vary by instructor so you may want to look at a couple different ones in your area before making a decision.

Daedalus685

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
No, you're a pansy because you're scared of guns. I don't understand this fear of inanimate objects.

Oh, why even waste my time...

/facepalm

We have many more guns/cap than Texas by the way... Reasonable hunting is very popular up here.

I feel bad for you guys if super human criminals are actually a problem... why aren't folks doing something about it? Isn't that what the government should be dealing with? Putting those chaps in jail?

Reaction is not a solution... I am not claiming that one's area could not be so fucked up to require a gun.. only that most folks here would freak out and prevent that from happening long before it came down to it. Of course us military folks in "pansy" Canada are often of the opinion that civilians should not have access to weapons that are solely used for harming another human.. But that is not something supported in the USA very often. Our boys get months of training before they can even fire a hand gun/assault rifle... it isn't because we like wasting time.. Some things are better left to the pros.

Edit to add:

To clarify, I know that we don't have any constitution here regaurdign guns... I understand that Canada is a very different place than the USA... But folks are implying that I should own a gun for protection.. I do not require one, no one here does. Ideally no one ever will. Night and day places I suppose... I simply don't appreciate the fear mongering about how I should be scared of my own protection... Yeah... If JTF2 decides to break in I'll be royally fucked.. but come on. No criminals here are even close to beign worthy of fear... most are barely worth considering at all. That I am exceedingly proud of. If all yo had to worry about were rats you might feel the same. Perhaps you guys should work on replacing the bears with rats (yeah.. I like animal references)

Last edited:

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Take the training first, almost every gun shop has classes offered by NRA certified instructors about safe gun handling and applicable local and State laws. Go on in and talk to them about training, take the initiative for responsible gun handling.

^this there's a ton of places you can go to get proper safety training if you weren't brought up with it.