A WWII FPS where you play the Nazis... Would you play it?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I think some of you are missing the point...in games like CS, if you play as the terrorist the game isn't really any different than the anti-terrorist team. In a game like this, you would have to play through a campaign as a Nazi soldier and act like one in game. I think it would be a bit different.
It doesn’t have to be any different for the German campaign either. Make it have purely military objectives with no civilians or Nazi politics.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Was Das Boot somehow less of a war movie whose characters you hated because they were part of the "wrong side"?

No.

Was playing Silent Hunter a war crime since you attacked and sank allied shipping?

When you play as the Confederates during Sid Meier's Gettysburg! does that mean you support slavery?

How about playing as the Third Reich when you conquer Europe in Hearts of Iron?

I know it's different as an FPS where you're pulling the trigger on virtual soldiers, but there's also a huge difference between playing as front line, conscripted soldier, versus a hardline SS ideologue overseeing Auschwitz.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
Wouldn't make a difference to me compared to any other game. Because I know it's a video game. I know if I'm playing a Nazi, I'm just playing a role in a game, it's not because I have a secret wish to be one. It's not different than playing GTA4 where you go around killing civies and mowing down cops.

Rezident

Nov 30, 2009
Well I can't play any more games with the nazis as baddies, it's just too tired so yeah I'd play if you could be the Nazis, and win, like VE SHOULD HAFF!

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
OP, yes!

I will not buy/play any WW2 game unless I can play as the Nazi's.

IL-2 series, I always play the germans. The allied planes are so meh.

If it's another Return to Castle Wolfenstein type game where it portrays all Jerries (germans) as retarded psychopaths (like the last one did), then I'll just throw the game in the garbage. (like I did the last one)

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
No, I will not play as a Nazi trying to win the war for the Nazis. One of the reasons I dont like WWII MP games is because you might end up a German. I try to switch from VPA in BFBC2 Vietnam. My grandfather fought against the Japanese in WW2, and 3 uncles against the VPA in Vietnam. It seems like it trivializes their service. The Nazis were the worst of the worst, and I wont support any dev who tries to make them the good guys.

Yeah its a video game, and because of that I'd simply chose not to play.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
No, I will not play as a Nazi trying to win the war for the Nazis. One of the reasons I dont like WWII MP games is because you might end up a German. I try to switch from VPA in BFBC2 Vietnam. My grandfather fought against the Japanese in WW2, and 3 uncles against the VPA in Vietnam. It seems like it trivializes their service. The Nazis were the worst of the worst, and I wont support any dev who tries to make them the good guys.

:rolleyes:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000

I'm sure you'd roll your eyes when you see family member kinda freak out when watching a movie because it reminded them of some stuff they've seen or did.

Maybe you think Nazis are just cartoonish bad guys in movies and games. In case you forgot:

nazi1.jpg

Nazisoldierexecutingmotherandchild-420x340.jpg

nazikilling1944-336x318.jpg

Who in their right mind would want to be these guys...

Gheris

Oct 24, 2005
I think you may actually see such a game as the years pass. I am 35 years old and in school I did a lot of research on WWII. Maybe text books for kids today are not the same as those in the past. However based on my research and papers I wrote on WWII I would not want to play a game where I was on the German side during WWII.

In a MP game it's different, as there really is no story other than blow the other guy up. However a single player campaign? Not for nothing but I fail to see how a story could be written that would alleviate what was carried out by WWII Germany enough to make me want to even consider playing it.

To those who would say "it's just game." I would ask if you consider games to be art?

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
To those who would say "it's just game." I would ask if you consider games to be art?

Um yes? I have done the following things in games:
-kill thousands of innocent people
-deal drugs
-get fisted by a sex robot
-destroy captured towns and kill all civilians
-use weapons to set people on fire and watch them burn
-lock people in a room then set the room on fire
-release a contagious disease to kill everybody on the planet
-blow up a train station
-kill presidents and prime minsters
-capture slaves

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000

American is what I am. And I dont play single player games where the goal would be to enslave humanity. Nazis had their way, people like me would have been wiped off the planet or made slaves. Anyone can be an American, but it isnt the same for a Nazi.

You look at most FPS, and the goal is usually to prevent some attack against your nation or your allies, not to ensure continued atrocities against all people who are different than you. To be honest, I am fairly surprised that people wouldnt think twice about this.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
To be honest, I am fairly surprised that people wouldnt think twice about this.

To be honest, I am fairly surprised that people would get so worked up over a video game. Americans did bad things in wars too, like nuke a country. Twice. Oh gawd, can't play as an American now or any games with nukes in it. And I'm guessing you didn't play Modern Warfare 2 since you get to play someone who mows down a ton of civilians in a Russian Airport?

Using video games as an excuse to be patriotic is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. It's almost up there as blaming video games for bad parenting.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
To be honest, I am fairly surprised that people would get so worked up over a video game. Americans did bad things in wars too, like nuke a country. Twice. Oh gawd, can't play as an American now or any games with nukes in it. And I'm guessing you didn't play Modern Warfare 2 since you get to play someone who mows down a ton of civilians in a Russian Airport?

Using video games as an excuse to be patriotic is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. It's almost up there as blaming video games for bad parenting.

I did not play MW2. Don't presume you know anything about me. I didn't say it was for patriotism, I specifically said it would trivialize the service my family did in WW2 and Vietnam. So maybe you should learn to read, because if thought that was the stupidest thing you've ever seen, you have more than likely misunderstood quite a bit in your life.

How could you look your a family member in the eye and say I play as Nazi, Japanese or Vietnamese for fun in video games. Sure, you did it for real, and lost many friends and a part of your soul, but hey, don't sweat it, its a video game. Play something else? Naw, your family and all but F you, get over it if you don't like it. Heck, if I had a family member who was American Indian and thought playing something like RDR would offend them, I wouldn't play it.

Its not like we have to play video games to survive. And were talking about playing as a Nazi. Unless you support their philosophy, I don't see how anyone would want to play one in a video game.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
What makes you think American Military is not "Nazis" boy has the American media Propaganda machine got the wool over your eyes.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
What makes you think American Military is not "Nazis" boy has the American media Propaganda machine got the wool over your eyes.

The fact that you equate the American Military with Nazis implies you don't know what your talking about. If the US were Nazis there would be no Canada, and you would have been killed for writing your post. I'm not saying the US is perfect, just that you don't know what kind of evil the Nazis were.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
The fact that you equate the American Military with Nazis implies you don't know what your talking about. If the US were Nazis there would be no Canada, and you would have been killed for writing your post. I'm not saying the US is perfect, just that you don't know what kind of evil the Nazis were.
There are many areas and degrees of grey between black & white but the basic or strongest premise of Nazi Germany was "Fascism" Fascism: is a political philosophy, movement, or regime that exalts nation "USA" and often race "White America" above the individual and that stands for a "centralized" autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader "Barack Obama", severe economic and social regimentation "The American Militarily Industrial Complex", and forcible suppression of the opposition this time it is the "Middle East". Fascist's also exalt Militarism & Propaganda as a sort of national rejuvenation and means to promote there cause. USA also exhibits STRONG "Nationalistic" tenancies bordering on psychopathic patriotism as well as unrivaled greed, "chauvinism", sycophantic spoiled behavior, over consumption, crime, sense of entitlement, debt, homelessness, denial, diseases & other health issues. In short the American Empire is even far worse than was Nazi Germany if not just because the "Westernized" countries & Americans have been dumbed down so much with there propaganda and fail educational systems and lifestyle which are not really great to begin with if you consider the statistical data. I can go on but I doubt anybody here understands or cares for that matter so I will leave you with "may peace be onto you my brother." PS no I am not a terrorist ect so please save the pejorative "labels" and other indoctrinated socioeconomic statuesques that my be thrown out there to detract any other "opposition" to the state :)

Last edited:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
There are many areas and degrees of grey but the basic or strongest premise of Nazi Germany was "Fascism" Fascism: is a political philosophy, movement, or regime that exalts nation "USA" and often race "White America" above the individual and that stands for a "centralized" autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader "Barack Obama", severe economic and social regimentation "The American Militarily Industrial Complex", and forcible suppression of the opposition this time it is the "Middle East". Fascist's also exalt Militarism & Propaganda as a sort of national rejuvenation and means to promote there cause. USA also exhibits STRONG "Nationalistic" tenancies bordering on psychopathic patriotism as well as unrivaled greed, "chauvinism", sycophantic spoiled behavior, over consumption, crime, sense of entitlement, debt, homelessness, denial, diseases & other health issues. In short the American Empire is even far worse than was Nazi Germany if not just because the "Westernized" countries & Americans have been dumbed down so much with there propaganda and fail educational systems and lifestyle which are not really great to begin with if you consider the statistical data. I can go on but I doubt anybody understands or cares for that matter so I will leave you with "may peace be onto you my brother." PS no I am not a terrorist ect so please save the pejorative "labels" and other indoctrinated socioeconomic statuesques that my be thrown out there to detract any other "opposition" to the state :)

lol you realize the words you link cripple your own argument? And now you are saying the US is worse than Nazis? I would break this down sentence by sentence, but you clearly must be trolling.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
How about you take you "Fascist" American propaganda and burn it.

[redacted], which is apparently where you got your education.

Unless it's sticking a joystick in your hand, let's please refrain from sticking things where they shouldn't go, and otherwise be excellent to each other.
-Thanks
ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
lol you realize the words you link cripple your own argument? And now you are saying the US is worse than Nazis? I would break this down sentence by sentence, but you clearly must be trolling.
You can do as you please but I assure you mate I am not trolling and not spouting nonsense I mean talk about "Nationalistic" propaganda and desensitization of the general population to such things as war and death in the form of Military FPS games. Not only that but they are taking it to the next tangent by way of glorifying war and exhaling America as the premier Military super power in games such as BF3 which is complete Horse shxx and not conductive to a positive mind set and productive "global" sociaty as a whole.

Last edited:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
You can do as you please but I assure you mate I am not trolling and not spouting nonsense I mean talk about "Nationalistic" propaganda and desensitization of the general population to such things as war and death in the form of Military FPS games. Not only that but they are taking it to the next tangent by way of glorifying war and exhaling America as the premier Military super power in games such as BF3 which is complete Horse shxx and not conductive to a positive mind set and productive "global" sociaty as a whole.

If for example, BF3 was merely US propaganda, the game wouldn't have competitive multiplayer, cause the US loses half of the time. It would be more like zombies in COD, where its just wave of Russians or Middle Easterners or Chinese or what not. Even then, no one beats zombies. So its not effective propaganda. Even in movies, the US is always the bad guy. What the hell kind of propaganda is that? But you can do that in the US because its a relatively free country. You can talk your sh1t, and you don't get sent to prison or killed.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
If for example, BF3 was merely US propaganda, the game wouldn't have competitive multiplayer, cause the US loses half of the time. It would be more like zombies in COD, where its just wave of Russians or Middle Easterners or Chinese or what not. Even then, no one beats zombies. So its not effective propaganda. Even in movies, the US is always the bad guy. What the hell kind of propaganda is that? But you can do that in the US because its a relatively free country. You can talk your sh1t, and you don't get sent to prison or killed.
See you are speaking like a true Fascist without even recognizing it for you have been successfully "indoctrinated". I am not hating mate I was there to not long ago then I finally "involuntarily" had the time in 09 due too "the economic melt down" to educate myself about how our systems work and why it is the way it is with "No questions asked" one way or the highway type of thing. What I learned in grade school just like you is mostly based upon propaganda but not all of course and not much to due with the reality of things but more to due with social engineering and to create little "Nazis" or to put it into words that are more relevant to the current times "Upholders of the Statuesque" aka Nazis. If you read "Mein Kampf" you will get a clear understanding that the pure and basic premise of what Hitler was trying to accomplish and almost did is for the most part being taken over and carried out buy the USA and there partnered corporations of which many are run and carried over by actual German Nazis from Hitlers Reich. The truth is stranger than fiction mate but man do I still want to play Return to Castle Wallenstein LOL.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
See you are speaking like a true Fascist without even recognizing it for you have been successfully "indoctrinated". I am not hating mate I was there to not long ago then I finally "involuntarily" had the time in 09 due too "the economic melt down" to educate myself about how our systems work and why it is the way it is with "No questions asked" one way or the highway type of thing. What I learned in grade school just like you is mostly based upon propaganda but not all of course and not much to due with the reality of things but more to due with social engineering and to create little "Nazis" or to put it into words that are more relevant to the current times "Upholders of the Statuesque" aka Nazis. If you read "Mein Kampf" you will get a clear understanding that the pure and basic premise of what Hitler was trying to accomplish and almost did is for the most part being taken over and carried out buy the USA and there partnered corporations of which many are run and carried over by actual German Nazis from Hitlers Reich. The truth is stranger than fiction mate but man do I still want to play Return to Castle Wallenstein LOL.

How is acknowledging a persons freedom to chose or say what they want likened to fascism exhibited by Nazi Germany? I generally am curious how you are making this connection, unless its the simplistic similarity where any form of nationalism fits your argument.