A WWII FPS where you play the Nazis... Would you play it?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
You should probably read up a bit about what the US did in Vietnam. It's entirely possible by your logic to argue that the average American soldier in Vietnam is as bad as the guards at Auschwitz. Or is this different because this time the genocidal baby-killers are your family?

I dont need to read up on it, some of the things they describe they did was pretty bad. I didnt say they were saints, I said I avoid the Vietnam games. And with that baby killer crack, well if they didnt want their babies dead they shouldnt have used them as shields. And the NVA did a good job of killing their own babies. I'm not saying I'd never play a game that involved Germans, just not Nazis. I dont know whats so hard about that concept. If your idea of fun is sympathizing with Nazis, thats your business. I wouldnt want anything to do with it.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
Poland never defended against or charged German armoured vehicles. That's German propaganda working on people... still now.

"In 1939, 10% of the Polish army was made up of cavalry units.[81] Polish cavalry never charged German tanks or entrenched infantry or artillery, but usually acted as mobile infantry (like dragoons) and reconnaissance units and executed cavalry charges only in rare situations against foot soldiers. Other armies (including German and Soviet) also fielded and extensively used elite horse cavalry units at that time. Polish cavalry consisted of eleven brigades, as emphasized by its military doctrine, equipped with anti tank rifles "UR" and light artillery such as the highly effective Bofors 37 mm anti-tank gun. The myth originated from war correspondents reports of the Battle of Krojanty, where a Polish cavalry brigade was fired upon in ambush by hidden armored vehicles, after it had mounted a sabre-charge against German infantry."

It's a common misconception... among others :rolleyes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Poland#Misconceptions

Polish armour was, if anything, better than what the Germans fielded. Germany invaded with a lot of Panzer 1s and 2s on the books. The Polish deficit was in command and control. The German army had a metric ton of radios, allowing coordination down to a much lower level. Etc.

lord_emperor

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
Yes, no problem, it's a role in a video game nothing more.

It's unfortunate that Nazi Germany was a real thing, but the GTA series is popular and violent crime is a real thing right now.

supremor

Dec 2, 2010
I would play it and probably love it because I'm a huge fan of German weaponry of the era and I have the common sense to know that it's just a game just like how I enjoyed the No Russian mission in MW2 that a lot of people got butthurt over.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
What about a game where you're a SS Concentration Camp guard? In the first level you shoot stray prisoners trying to escape, it's easy because they're starved and beaten but as you advance levels it gets tougher, the jews know the allies are winning the war and they want out before they're turned into purses for rich german ladies. In the last level you have to battle hordes of prisoners trying to escape from the ovens, and if you finish the game the allies take you for a scientist and grant you citizenship.

Rofllll

WojtekGee

Jul 13, 2012
Polish armour was, if anything, better than what the Germans fielded. Germany invaded with a lot of Panzer 1s and 2s on the books. The Polish deficit was in command and control. The German army had a metric ton of radios, allowing coordination down to a much lower level. Etc.

You mean around 100 7TP's ? vs 2000 panzer 1 and 2's? I don't think there's any argument that can be made that polish forces lost because of command, granted the poles weren't ready for the invasion to begin with.

WarhammerTX

Oct 15, 2005
www.Snipergamerselite.com
I realized that there has never been a WWII first person shooter where the player plays on the side of the Nazis for the entire campaign. If there was... Would you play it?

I'm not sure what kind a reception a game would get where you score points killing your potential grandparents would go over with US and British gamers, but it sure would be unique!

Also, I'm not sure how you would "win" the game... And the plot would be a bit dark if they made it about the 1943-1945 part of the war. Maybe they should focus on the 1939-1942 part of the war instead.

It was called Enemy Territory by activision still play it from time to time its a free download.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Sure. Why not. Games where you kill Germans and Japanese get released and bought in Germany and Japan.

Just what exactly are you trying to say? The reason why such games are released and played in Germany and Japan is because these people clearly realize that what was done was WRONG, and they appologize.. Appologize a thousand times and feel bad for the things that happened in the past. If it was not so, such software would be banned in Germany. The German govt. is very diligent in watching such things and preventing hateful ideas from getting into teen minds. They understand that rekindling the hate in that country is all too easy under right circumstances.

The idea is for these people to be playing these games and kill their ancestors over and over again in reprisal for their crimes against humanity. In reality it may not be so off course! There is still plenty of Germans wishing all Jews were dead, and plenty of Japs dreaming of an atomic bomb exploding in the heart of United States, but we all like to think these are very very few, and almost non existent.

But the reality is that a lot of teens will play these games because they are FUN, without thinking too deep into which side they are playing for and who they are killing. And even though that reason would be dumb as well, I definitely want to believe that this is exactly what you were trying to say.

Could be cool. Play a soldier in a desperate fight to prevent the Americans or Russians from taking over your country.

You forgot to mention that Americans and Russians werent taking over Germany. They were pushing back, all the way in. Laying waste to Nazi scum and liberating the world from the German tyrrany. In the last days of the war, the German resistance wasnt fighting to prevent the Allies from taking over their country, but to save their miserable hides. They had no choice. Either fight, or they get captured or shot. Their goods looted, and their women raped by the victors. There was no other way. It's like a snake backed into a corner. If the Russians and Americans wanted to take over Germany, it would have been under their control today. Nevermind all that shit with the Berlin wall and all that. Knowing what happened, I really cant blame the Russians for their "tyranny". [/quote]

Possibly have some desert fighting under Rommel and the general retreat without support from high command. Ends with a desperate fight against the Russians for Berlin

It has tons of promise. It's a video game, who cares about who you're killing.

Ummm.... NO. This is not apples and oranges. I care about what I am killing. Would you not care about burning villages of helpless civilians down with a flamethrower? Laying down hundreds of naked people to a mass grave behind their back with a machine gun? Dropping a megaton bomb on a Belorussian fortress full of women and children? Blowing up a T-34 with a Panzerfaust and having the Russian soldiers burn to death inside... Russians that did so much for the liberation of the whole world from Nazi scum?

People keep saying things like "It's just a video game!". That doesnt always fly in such cases IMO.

Oct 25, 2006
I'm not going to ever bother to make long answers because you obviously are taking this way too seriously.

It's a video game. A Video Game. A Video Game. A Video Game.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
I think that is this biggest problem for a thread like this. Some people treat video games as video games, others view them differently and make them into projections of who they are and society.

heyguys

Aug 10, 2012
Anyway, I think that a WW2 game where you played the Germans could be very interesting. Personally, If we're talking something more FPS oriented, I'd set it on the eastern front. Start with the invasion of Poland (lets face it, Panzer Mk IIIs vs Polish cavalry makes an easy warm up) Possibly a jump over to France, because Germany was able to move a lot of it's forces back west to participate in that, and let's face it, that was one of the great military maneuvers of all time. After that, I'd set the rest of the game in the eastern front, with the push into Russia, and the hopeless fighting retreat back to Berlin.
yeah i like if there is a gameplay when we play in a eye of a young german soldier fighting with other of their friend,i'm from indonesia and i love america so much.i like your idea by starting with poland,france,and russia but not usa.
in every game like coh,mow assault squad, i always like playing in german side and hearts of iron i only like play as a good nation america and the great reich germany,what i love from germany in ww2 is their bravest and heavily trained crack panzer troop,ss,oberk der whermact,panzergranadier,fallshimjager,and the luft waffetc.war theory blitzkrieg,fast manuever awesome. try to read german army in german army historian,that true they are skilled not like what you see in a medal of honor or other ww2 game. they got the best weapon and ammunition during ww2.i think what caused them beat up in ww2 is how can any nation defend against a multiple country with a ally turn against them,romania,italyhungary and other axis power turn against german in 1944.unlike the france that fast surrender and british only love to fight using artilery so cowardy i don't like game that from brits army prespective.if there is no help from usa i think german will conquer europe i think brits and france should thank to usa and did everybody forget about british empire colonialisation and napoleon revolution they are bad guy too not only nazi.

brother in arms:for the fatherland cause

first you play as a german man from your house and get called for the fatherland cause you arrrive in a training camp,get into division met with other friend
fell the battle with poland joy the victory with france to and the most scariest bloody war in eastern front fight in stalingrad where german lose half milion brave ss,and whermact army against communist. and a sad ending where you fight till the end of fatherland against multiple nation in berlin.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I could see this working if it was sure to illustrate the fact that a lot of people were caught up in nazi propaganda and national pride. It would be a great history lesson. War is a crazy thing and people do things that they would have never dreamed of because of the very nature of war.

Perhaps you could even be a German American who answered the call of the father land when it wasn't so clear that the Nazi party was all about. You're caught up in the times, and forced to do things you don't want. You could take place in some of the earlier conflicts that the US was not involved in and then defect at a later time when it becomes clear that you're fighting for the wrong side.

I would be really interested in learning about the earlier battles of the war in Poland and France. Market it as a historically accurate experience and I think people would tolerate it's existence.

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
one of the old call of duty didnt have a couple missions in which you were german? or they just swap from English/American/russian soldiers? (or something like that)

cant remember

i would totally play it, but it needs to be well done cause the ending would be that you get killed eventually, or you lose the war eventually...
Maybe if it is some kind of parallel reality in which the nazis win or somethign

Iron Wolf

Jul 27, 2010
one of the old call of duty didnt have a couple missions in which you were german? or they just swap from English/American/russian soldiers? (or something like that)

cant remember

i would totally play it, but it needs to be well done cause the ending would be that you get killed eventually, or you lose the war eventually...
Maybe if it is some kind of parallel reality in which the nazis win or somethign

It's RTS and not FPS, but you can play as the Germans in CoH, if you have the expansions. I'm sure there are other games, too.

I'm not sure what the big deal is, or what people are afraid of. There are almost as many Germans here in the US as there are in Germany. I'm not sure why either group would necessarily be susceptible to mass brainwashing to the point that they would overthrow the government and start the whole fascist society or genocide thing again just because you were able to play as German or Nazi soldiers in a game.

There were a lot of causes for the rise of Hitler and the Nazis and the start of WWII, and I'm pretty sure computer games were not part of them.

Besides, for a while, Germany had the best, most powerful and best commanded military in the world. Much like the South in the American Civil War, they were just outmatched in terms of manpower and resources. Why would you NOT want to play them in a computer game?