A WWII FPS where you play the Nazis... Would you play it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
battlefield1942.jpg

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
I'd play a game where I was Hitler, or Ted Bundy, or even Roman Polanski if it was fun.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'd play a game where I was Hitler, or Ted Bundy, or even Roman Polanski if it was fun.

Um, Roman Polanski doesn't come after Hitler in the ranking.

'Fun' isn't the only issue. There's bad taste as an issue.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I’d play it. You can already play as terrorists in Counter Strike and Medal of Honor. You can also play Axis powers in various flight simulators, and you can play VC in Vietcong 2.

Also if we don’t allow sides that committed mass war crimes against civilians, Russian campaigns are out too.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
In Day of Defeat I used to play on the Nazis side all the time using the KAR98... that gun was so OP I would camp in front of the Allie spawn and pick people off as they go over that spawn wall... I also liked that you can jump and bayonet people = most if not all that stuff was fixed on later updates...

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Ja. I mean nein. I think it could work if you started as a lowly Nazi grunt who didn't know anything about the concentration camps or mass genocide being done. And then, when you find out the truth, you change sides and start helping the Allies... But no one wants to play as a genocidal ass-clown who goes along with something that is obviously wrong.

MW2 - no russian

Im sure people would eat this game up. Listen to vicarious by tool. People would play this game just as much as they play any other shooter.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Why a Nazi? It could be a simple German soldier. Not all soldiers were Nazis. Most were not. I could see playing a German side of things if the game play is good. People seem to get hung up on all this Nazi stuff for some reason.

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Like some others, the whole WWII thing is worn out for me. That said I would have no qualm playing a Nazi soldier.

Games are about escape from reality. A darker theme game where you are the bad guy should not be off limits.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Seems pretty lame to fight for things they stood for. My heart wouldn't be in it so probably not.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Seems pretty lame to fight for things they stood for. My heart wouldn't be in it so probably not.

So playing a invading troop of another country like..oh i don't know..Iraq of Afghanistan to kill innocent people is different? Body account alone does not make one better than the other. :p

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Like some others, the whole WWII thing is worn out for me. That said I would have no qualm playing a Nazi soldier.

Games are about escape from reality. A darker theme game where you are the bad guy should not be off limits.

I didnt play enough GOOD World war games while they were still popular. Now they arent making any more.

Feb 25, 2011
I'd play as the "bad guy." Do it all the time.

But there are a few countries in Europe where they couldn't sell the game.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think some of you are missing the point...in games like CS, if you play as the terrorist the game isn't really any different than the anti-terrorist team. In a game like this, you would have to play through a campaign as a Nazi soldier and act like one in game. I think it would be a bit different.

That being said, I think if the company could do it right it'd be an interesting take on the genre.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I think some of you are missing the point...in games like CS, if you play as the terrorist the game isn't really any different than the anti-terrorist team. In a game like this, you would have to play through a campaign as a Nazi soldier and act like one in game. I think it would be a bit different.

That being said, I think if the company could do it right it'd be an interesting take on the genre.

Yeah... I was thinking more of the single player campaign than the multi-player.

The trick would be to make the game controversial but not offensive... something tells me that a game about an SS soldier who's job is to round up and kill defenseless Jews wouldn't get a publisher.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
What was that freaking game where you had to defend the railgun and other nazi targets?

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
I don't really like games that mix history and politics together. Although technically this is just make believe and pixels on the screen, I find the concept a bit odd. But hey its no different than taking a role in a movie I suppose. Just not my thing.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
It'd be fun to see something different in the FPS genre. It's so irritating to see everything look and feel the same (Thank you COD).

In fact, using Mein Kampf, playing as Hitler would be a super idea. The sad part would be the gassing of the jews, but it can come with an in-game censor (something similar to what COD did with the innocent civilian shootings at the train station). And the game would need literally no marketing. The controversy itself will do that job.